Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 850297 times)

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
Re: Dustin Martin - 200th game this week [merged]
« Reply #4605 on: September 08, 2018, 08:18:43 AM »
Really? I felt his last 2 years has been average and has dropped down the pecking order by some margin.
Fair call, historically maybe, but last night Danger looked done

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4606 on: September 08, 2018, 12:26:13 PM »
Really? I felt his last 2 years has been average and has dropped down the pecking order by some margin.
Fair call, historically maybe, but last night Danger looked done

Now has the record for most clangers in a final

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4607 on: September 08, 2018, 12:53:03 PM »
I went last night, the entire team play for themselves. Tim Kelly is the most overhyped player in the competition - the kid is a downhill skier, Ablett’s defensive game is non existent, Dangers always turned it over but last night was new level and Selwood, well here is a guy who basically cheats to draw free kicks. He’s like the Murali of the AFL
All led by a self indulged egomaniac as coach whose presided over 3 finals wins in 12 games.
They get wins in the home and away because they are the only team that gets to play in a tin arse stadium in front of a pack of unemployed yokels.
How can that possibly lead them anywhere near a flag?
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4608 on: September 08, 2018, 02:29:08 PM »
Ablett has had no defensive game for over 5 years

Hangs out the packs these days waiting cheap kicks out the back
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 05:20:52 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4609 on: September 08, 2018, 04:10:22 PM »
Ablett hasn't been the same since he did his shoulder at the Suns.

Danger's disposal has been exposed as ordinary in too many finals.

Dusty is clear No.1. Last 4 finals he's played he's been B.O.G.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #4610 on: September 21, 2018, 12:55:41 PM »
From Barrett's 'Sliding Doors' column today:

IF ... Dusty is already entrenched as an all-time great ...

THEN ... there's still a lot of scope to move up the pecking order. Six goals in a prelim would propel him up that list into really rare air. 

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-21/sliding-doors-finals-week-three

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4611 on: September 21, 2018, 01:53:06 PM »

THEN ... there's still a lot of scope to move up the pecking order. Six goals in a prelim would propel him up that list into really rare air. 

WTF haha
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4612 on: September 21, 2018, 05:04:11 PM »

WTF haha
Apparently, Dusty winning a Brownlow, premiership and Norm Smith is not enough for Barrett  :wallywink.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4613 on: December 01, 2018, 04:07:06 PM »
Dusty is back early for pre-season training 🙌 #gotiges

https://twitter.com/TheTigerArmyAFL/status/1067975616589221889

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4614 on: March 07, 2019, 11:12:27 AM »
Nick Riewoldt on Dustin Martin:

“It’s a pretty easy one … he’s probably underpaid,” the six-time Saints B&F winner said.

“He had arguably the greatest season of all-time by a player where they went on and won the flag.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/03/06/worth-the-price-tag-riewoldt-breaks-down-the-six-highest-paid-players-in/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dustin Martin opened up about tattoos and past struggles (Daily Mail)
« Reply #4615 on: March 16, 2019, 03:10:55 AM »
Dustin Martin opened up about tattoos and past struggles

By Aidan Wondracz
For Daily Mail Australia
16 March 2018

Brownlow medalist Dustin Martin has opened up on his struggles with fame and mental health - and the therapeutic effects of a good house party.

Affectionately known by his fans as 'Dusty', the 27-year-old Richmond Tigers' superstar has historically stayed tight-lipped over his private life.

However, the All-Australian midfielder has broken that streak, revealing a darker episode with mental health issues.

'I woke with an empty feeling inside and it was really strange,' the inked-up Martin told Executive Style.

'I had everything I wanted and everything I dreamed of, but I didn't feel fulfilled or happy.'

Martin seems destined for the AFL Hall of Fame after he became the first player in history to complete the trifecta of a premiership, Brownlow Medal and Norm Smith medal in a single season in 2017.

Behind the publicity and glamour of his career, Martin openly admitted to a darker, lesser-known side of his life, saying 2018 was a difficult year for him due to the constant pressure of maintaining his peak performance.

Add his publicised controversies with feeling of an unfulfilled life - despite being surrounded with everything he wanted - Martin knew he was in trouble. 

He made headlines in 2012 after he was suspended from the AFL for missing a compulsory training session after taking sleeping pills.

Three years later he was accused of threatening to stab a woman in the face with chopsticks - but was later cleared.

On top of that, his father Shane was deported to New Zealand in 2016 because of a criminal record and alleged motorcycle gang connections.

Not long ago news circulated he was dating singer and model Bonnie Anderson - though that rumour was quickly put to bed when she announced that she was in a relationship with a different man.   

For Martin it has been a dangerous balancing act as he juggles his bad boy image with his playing prestige.

And while he remains closed-off about his private life, for the most part, his tattoos track his growth as a person from when he got his first ink at the age of 16.

'They're cheeky, funny; they're who I am and I love the imagery,' he said.

The phrase 'Live life' is inked across his knuckles as a constant reminder of life's fragility.

And rather than allow himself to spiral out of control with all of life's drama, Martin said he spoke out about his feelings - about the constant pressure to please his club and the crowds.

And he says the talking helped.

To keep himself in check, Martin took up daily meditation sessions and makes sure to sit in on yoga classes whenever he has free time.

Add his passion for reading - which he rediscovered during a spiritual hike through Ubud in Bali during the previous summer - to his new routine and Martin has struck the perfect balance to keep himself and his mind in top shape.

Though that's not to say the AFL superstar has taken on a monkish life, as he admits he still loves to be DJ at a house party with close friends.

Martin's latest love interest is said to be brunette beauty and Vivien's bikini model Elissa Burns - the couple were in New Zealand around the same time mid last year, as Ms Burns went for model duties, and Martin went to visit his father.

He is also a Bonds and vitamin brand Voost ambassador and sealed deals with watch group Kennedy, Jeep and Puma.

The support from his mother Kathy and grandmother Lois, who watch his game every weekend - has also helped to build a solid foundation underneath the AFL player.

And surrounded with good people, Martin has learned to sidestep any attempts of self-sabotage.

'You've got people pumping your tyres up all the time and it could easily go to my head,' he said.

And now he has set his sights on taking his team to another premiership. And for him, it's not all about winning.

For him, it's a game where you win some and lose some. Instead of letting the nerves get to him, he realises he is playing the game he loves.

And as Martin says, that has set him free.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6810925/Richmond-player-Dustin-Martin-opens-tattoos-rise-fame-struggles.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4616 on: March 16, 2019, 03:13:05 AM »
How Dustin Martin beat the blues with meditation and yoga

Jane Rocca
Executive Style, The Age
16 March 2019

Dustin Martin only needs to glance down to be reminded to "live life" to the full – the words are tattooed across his knuckles. But once you look past the tapestry of ink that weaves across his body, he's remarkably laid back.

"Fame hasn't changed me," says the 27-year-old Richmond star. "It's nice when friends who I haven't seen in ages say to me, 'Dustin, you haven't changed'. I'm still me, and I separate myself from Dustin Martin the footballer."

His relatively shy nature is surprising given the amount of attention he has received since becoming the first player in history to complete the trifecta of a premiership, Brownlow Medal and Norm Smith Medal in a single season two years ago. He's wary of those who want to break into his inner circle.

"You've got people pumping your tyres up all the time and it could easily go to my head," he admits. "But I have learned to not take it too seriously. I don't listen to the negative and don't let the positive get out of control. I am just about getting on with being who I am. I'm extremely grateful to be in a position where I can have a positive influence on young kids."

After the euphoria of 2017, Martin found himself at a crucial turning point in his life – after all the glory, something felt off. "I haven't told too many people this, but I found 2018 to be really hard," he says. "I woke with a weird empty feeling inside and it was really strange. I had everything I wanted and everything I dreamt of, but I didn't feel fulfilled or happy. I didn't know what was going on." Instead of going off the rails, Martin reached out for help.

"It made me realise what's important in life," he says. "Speaking up initially gave me more anxiety and depression as I kept wondering why I was feeling this way. I came to realise that the materialistic things in life don't rate; it's the small things that matter most."

Martin says he felt enormous pressure to maintain his winning streak after the 2017 season. "I started worrying about what others would say about me if I wasn't at that level anymore. I realised it doesn't matter what people think; if I just do my best, that's all I can do. I stopped worrying and I was suddenly free. It was small guided steps, but I learned to live my best life and not take on board what others think of me.

Mental health is a huge issue not only in sport, but in society. I would encourage anyone who is struggling with something big or small to have the courage to ask for help," he says.

Martin took up daily meditation sessions and sits in on a yoga class whenever his schedule allows. Over summer, he took off on a spiritual hike through Ubud in Bali, which allowed him to devote more time to his rediscovered love of reading, something he hadn't done much of since dropping out of school at 15.

"The big thing for me is reading books," Martin says. "It's something I never thought I'd do, but have done more of in the past 24 months, which I am really enjoying. It's all about learning about real things rather than bingeing on garbage TV." He's in the middle of Eckhart Tolle's The Power of Now and has just finished Don Miguel Ruiz's The Four Agreements – a practical guide to personal freedom. He also loves to DJ. "I love a house party and being close with friends," he says. "That's my ideal environment away from sport."

Born in the small town of Castlemaine in country Victoria, Martin grew up with older brother, Bronson and younger brother, Tyson. From the age of five, Martin was all about football – the word is he even used to sleep with one for comfort as a toddler. Martin wasn't studious and describes himself as a "nuisance" student at Campbells Creek Primary School and Castlemaine High, where he finished in Year 9.

"I wasn't the greatest student to deal with, but some teachers saw I was a good sportsman and had lots of patience for me," he says. "I basically lived and breathed footy … I played AusKick and then footy at every recess and lunch break. You'd always find me on the school oval and then Saturdays I'd play too. From the backyard to the footy field, I didn't feel anything as passionately as I did for footy."

While much has been written about Martin's father Shane – who was deported to New Zealand right before his son played in the 2017 AFL Grand Final – it hasn't got in the way of their long-distance relationship. Martin flew over to see his dad just days after our interview. "My old man has always taught me to be real, genuine and authentic and caring towards others from family to strangers," Martin says. "He told me to be who I am and not anybody else. It has always stayed with me and I am still close to him."

Martin's mother Kathy and grandma Lois watch him play every weekend. "I was always with my maternal Nan and Pop growing up," he says. "We'd always be at their house and we've always been a close family."

Martin got his first tattoo at the age of 16 and only trusts Arn Lyons in Collingwood with a tattoo gun. "My tattoos are a reflection of me," he says. "They're cheeky, funny; they're who I am and I love the imagery," he says. From laughing clowns to DJ boxes, he points to his quad muscle showing his most recent work. "This one took two hours and I got Arn to stop 'cause it got too sore," he smiles.

For now, his focus is on footy and getting Richmond to another premiership. "It's a game; you win some and lose some," he says. "I used to work myself up and be real nervous to play, but when you think about it, you're playing a game you love and when you train your mind to see it that way, you free it up."

He is certainly in demand: a multimillion-dollar deal with Bonds has seen him stripped to his underwear in a new campaign with a live tiger. He's inked deals with vitamin brand Voost, watch group Kennedy, Jeep and Puma while signing a seven-year contract with Richmond Football Club. His career is carefully managed by showbiz and sports agent Ralph Carr, and when Martin posts a video on Instagram, he'll generate more than 80,000 views in a week, teasing his 260,000 followers into a frenzy.

"I don't really know why everyone is so intrigued by me; I just want to play footy, have fun with my friends," he says. "It's a cool feeling to be recognised when you go out, and it's something I have to get used to. I'm in a good place at the moment. I'm incredibly lucky to have such great teammates, we truly have something special at our club."

http://www.executivestyle.com.au/how-dustin-martin-beat-the-blues-with-meditation-and-yoga-h1bifz

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4617 on: March 16, 2019, 03:45:37 PM »
Ablett has had no defensive game for over 5 years

Hangs out the packs these days waiting cheap kicks out the back

As a coincidence, I just heard Malthouse on the ABC radio here in WA this morning taking football talkback.

Someone rang through and asked his thoughts on the fact that Geelong had the second highest rated midfield in the AFL at the moment (who gave them the rating was not made clear).

Apart from saying that these ratings are subjective (ie. meaningless) he analysed Geelong's midfield and said it was middle of the pack at best.

1. Geelong have tried to get the Holy Trinity in there, but the midfield seriously lacks balance.
2. Selwood is an absolute warrior who wills his team to win, still one of the best mids in the AFL
3. Dangerfield is a one way player. Great going forward, not good going back.
4. Ablett has no defensive side to his game whatsoever.
5. Reckons the Cats are very mediocre for ruckmen.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dusty reveals depression battle (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #4618 on: March 17, 2019, 03:37:26 AM »
Dusty reveals depression battle

Al Paton,
Herald Sun
17 March 2019

Richmond star Dustin Martin has revealed he reached out for help after struggling with anxiety and depression following his all-conquering 2017 AFL season.

Martin swept all before him in 2017, winning the Brownlow and Norm Smith Medals as the Tigers broke a 37-year premiership drought. But he struggled to back up that level of performance last season, and it took a bigger toll than previously known.

“I haven’t told too many people this, but I found 2018 to be really hard,” Martin said in an interview with The Age’s Executive Style magazine.

“I woke with a weird empty feeling inside and it was really strange. I had everything I wanted and everything I dreamt of, but I didn’t feel fulfilled or happy. I didn’t know what was going on.”

Martin said he started to worry what people would say about him if his form didn’t match his 2017 heights, and found solace in daily meditation sessions and a rediscovered love of reading.

“It made me realise what’s important in life,” he said. “Speaking up initially gave me more anxiety and depression as I kept wondering why I was feeling this way. I came to realise that the materialistic things in life don’t rate; it’s the small things that matter most.

“I realised it doesn’t matter what people think. If I just do my best, that’s all I can do. I stopped worrying and I was suddenly free.

“It was small guided steps, but I learned to live my best life and not take on board what others think of me.

“Mental health is a huge issue not only in sport, but in society. I would encourage anyone who is struggling with something big or small to have the courage to ask for help.”

People seeking help for mental health problems can call Lifeline on 13 11 14, Beyond Blue on 1300 22 46 36 or Kid’s Helpline on 1800 55 1800

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/dustin-martin-reveals-he-battled-depression-during-2018-season/news-story/fb7cbcf98b82140082f773e94d853c80

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4619 on: March 18, 2019, 12:01:41 PM »
Grimes lauded Dustin Martin’s courage in publicly voicing his battle with mental health issues over the weekend, with the Brownlow Medallist open about his issues to his teammates.

Remarkably, he said Martin was in better shape than he had seen him in his time at the club.

“He seems to be in the best space of his whole career. We got drafted together and in my opinion he’s fitter than this time last year and stronger as well. I am pretty convinced he will have a terrific year,’’ he said.

“Every player goes through the highs and lows of football and it’s incredibly courageous of him to not only stand up in front of the media but also his teammates and voice the struggles he has had. I am sure he is a stronger person this year because of it.”

Source: The Age