Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 873935 times)

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #4875 on: September 29, 2019, 03:29:10 PM »
Loved that tweet from Andrew McLeod welcome to the club Dusty !!.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4876 on: September 30, 2019, 10:17:05 AM »
Two flags.
Two Norm Smiths.
One Brownlow (so far).

Now at the stage where Dusty will down in RFC history being mentioned in the same league as KB, Royce Hart & Francis Bourke. Dyer will always be #1 but Dusty's name sits comfortably in our all time top 5.

Extraordinary company, isn't it?

There's actually not many other players I would put above Jack and Richardson either.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4877 on: September 30, 2019, 11:02:32 AM »
Every time I see Martin tear through the opposition I thank Jordan McMahon for his goal after the siren. I can’t believe we have a Dusty in our team that we can throw anywhere and do serious damage

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hardwick compares Dusty to all-time great (SEN)
« Reply #4878 on: September 30, 2019, 02:41:29 PM »
Hardwick compares Dusty to all-time great

By SEN
30 Sep 2019

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick has given Norm Smith Medallist, Dustin Martin some of the highest praise possible by comparing him to one of the all-time greats.

Martin was instrumental in his side’s premiership win, kicking four goals from his 22 disposals on the way to a second Norm Smith.

“He reminds me of one of the greatest players to ever play the game, Leigh Matthews,” Hardwick said on SEN Breakfast.

“I think he’ll just put himself where he needs to be. People sort of look at Dustin and the things that he can do; he can impact a game from a variety of position.

“What he’s become accustomed to doing is getting a greater understanding of where he’s needed and when. That’s all on him, he’s been fantastic for us.

“He just gets better and better every year for mine.”

The former Brownlow winner averaged 26 disposals a game in 2019, kicking 32 goals.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/09/30/hardwick-compares-dusty-to-all-time-great/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
'Dusty would be in the top three Richmond players ever': Joel Bowden (SEN)
« Reply #4879 on: September 30, 2019, 02:42:14 PM »
'Dusty would be in the top three Richmond players ever': Bowden

By Paul Sebastiani
SEN
30 Sep 2019

Two-time Richmond best and fairest winner Joel Bowden has joined the chorus of praise of Dustin Martin, following Richmond's 89-point drubbing of GWS in the 2019 Grand Final.

Martin won his second Norm Smith medal in three years and was dominant on the big stage yet again, booting four goals and picking up 22 disposals.

"He would be in the top three Richmond players ever," Bowden said on SEN Afternoons.

"The record he has is phenomenal. No one has ever had a season in the history of the game like he did in 2017.

"He’s a dual Norm Smith medallist, a Brownlow Medallist a dual premiership player.

"Dustin Martin could end up going down in folklore along with Jack Dyer as a Richmond champion."

Bowden added the Tigers first goal of the game - kicked late in the first quarter by Martin - was the catalyst for what was to come in the next three quarters.

"They all seem to just go to another level with him because he’s so domintant and has the presence and that led to (Daniel) Rioli being able to smash one through from 50 metres right on the siren going into quarter time."

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/09/30/he-would-be-in-the-top-three-richmond-players-ever-bowden/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Will Dustin Martin enter 2020 as the AFL's best player? (ESPN)
« Reply #4880 on: October 01, 2019, 04:44:56 AM »
Will Dustin Martin enter 2020 as the AFL's best player?

Niall Seewang, Jake Michaels and Matt Walsh
ESPN
1 Oct 2019

NS: It's hard to argue against that now. He certainly enters it as undoubtedly the league's best big-game player, but I still have Nat Fyfe narrowly ahead of Martin. Fyfe's ability to play at his best through a whole season was reflected in his second Brownlow Medal win and I think that consistency gives him the edge over Martin and Patrick Dangerfield.

JM: It's a three-horse race: Martin, Danger and Fyfe. Try and split them. If every game was a Grand Final, or any final, I'd say Martin is the first guy you want in your team, but the Tigers star just doesn't seem to get going until the back half of the season. Having said that, his best is simply breathtaking and if Richmond's dynasty continues he'll soon be in the discussion for greatest players of all time.

MW: He's just built for the big stage, isn't he? Two Norm Smith medals, a Brownlow and a couple of best and fairests. No disrespect to Patrick Dangerfield or Nat Fyfe, but they can't boast a flag win, and for Martin to have been so dominant -- twice! -- on the biggest stage of all means he's the man who goes into 2020 with the tag of being the AFL's best player.

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/27732665/afl-round-table-which-team-best-placed-challenge-tigers-2019

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4881 on: October 01, 2019, 10:05:51 AM »
Pffft, I didn't think Fyfe deserved the Brownlow myself.

That's what happens when you're a great player in a dud team I guess.

Martin winning it IN A PREMIERSHIP SIDE 2017 means a lot more, given he was surrounded by good players.

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4882 on: October 01, 2019, 10:17:14 AM »
Dusty eats Danger for breakfast, then defecates Fyfe in little piles ...  ::)
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4883 on: October 01, 2019, 10:39:20 AM »
Dusty is the best comfortably. Seeing what he does in finals and also when needed ala the west coast game, hawthorn game he is easily the best.

I would have given the Brownlow to Grundy for single handedly carrying the team to a top 8 finish

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4884 on: October 01, 2019, 12:22:17 PM »
Dusty has taken a while to get his head around being so good. Look at how he finished the season off in the Brownlow count.

Has me thinking he could be primed for a big - and consistently - big 2020. Should be Brownlow favourite. Getting on Board now. Just hopes he stays away from suspension trouble.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
How much is Dusty’s signature worth? (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #4885 on: October 03, 2019, 12:54:47 AM »
How much is Dusty’s signature worth?

Sam Landsberger
Herald Sun
October 3, 2019

Dustin Martin’s right hand might fall off signing autographs but by the time Martin is done inking premiership memorabilia he will be able to afford a prosthetic replacement made of gold.

The most marketable superstar in the game is expected to sit through marathon autograph sessions that will reap him well over $100,000, which is pocketed outside of Richmond’s salary cap.

The healthy bonus comes to the only player in VFL-AFL history to own two premierships, two Norm Smiths and a Brownlow Medal.

Martin spent hours and hours signing thousands of pieces of Richmond memorabilia after the drought-breaking 2017 flag, earning a figure estimated around $200,000.

It is possible that combining Martin’s autograph earnings from both the 2017 and 2019 premierships could deliver the tattooed legend north of $400,000.

It is understood Martin makes less than $25 per autograph but the sheer volume of demand — and his willingness to ensure all of the Tiger Army has access to a personalised premiership memento — drives his return into six figures.

Manager Ralph Carr declined to comment yesterday, but has delivered booming results for his megastar client.

Martin’s decision to rebuff North Melbourne’s godfather offer by staying at Richmond on a seven-year contract worth about $9 million has already paid for itself, given Saturday’s second Grand Final triumph in three years.

The Martin brand is clearly the strongest at Tigerland with his Grand Final jumper already worth five figures in an online auction.

Only Jack Riewoldt, Trent Cotchin ($7500) and fairytale debutant Marlion Pickett ($5300) get close to the bids on Martin’s ($10,100) guernsey.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/dustin-martin-set-for-sixfigure-bonus-outside-richmonds-salary-cap/news-story/7cf356f9282d25d30ab7d7980fc67fc3

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #4886 on: October 03, 2019, 09:00:26 AM »
Is this the most confusing article ever written?
Go Tigers!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4887 on: October 04, 2019, 03:40:28 AM »
Is this the most confusing article ever written?
Seems the media are trying to have a dig at Dusty and us regarding the salary cap even though this is allowed by the AFL across all clubs.

The Tiger will sign countless memorabilia items destined for fans to secure his pay-packet. And better yet, it's all outside of the Tigers' salary cap.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/dustin-martin-richmond-tigers-autograph-pay-day/7dfd55fb-6103-4911-bd43-2f1cfe98688b

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #4888 on: October 04, 2019, 06:09:45 AM »
These endless tears would end the drought if they weren't so salty
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4889 on: October 04, 2019, 07:30:38 AM »
Just spent time reading the first 20 pages of this thread. Everyone bar one or two people wanted dusty. . Some great work in this tnread. :cheers