Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 872312 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #4935 on: April 11, 2020, 07:18:44 PM »
THE MODERN DAY LEIGH MATTHEWS?

RSN927
10 April 2020

Leigh Matthews says there is one player that reminds him of the way he played.

“The way Dustin Martin plays, hard to tackle, can find a bit of space, if there’s a modern equivalent that’s a similarity.”

“All of us who played in the 70s and 80s wish they’d burn all the old vision because compared to the modern, trained up football athletes we look like second raters!”

Matthews says he played a similar position to Martin from half back through the forwardline.

“I was a player who didn’t go into the back 50 very often because I couldn’t kick goals from the back 50!”

https://www.rsn.net.au/the-modern-day-leigh-matthews/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4936 on: April 16, 2020, 12:56:57 AM »
Dusty was shown by Ch 7 news training at Punt Rd yesterday (aided by assistant coach McQualter). He looked ready to go too.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4937 on: April 22, 2020, 06:22:20 PM »
Ch 7 news  in their sports report will have an inside look at Dusty at home training.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4938 on: April 22, 2020, 07:42:06 PM »
Tigers star Dustin Martin has given us an inside look at his training regime. #7AFL #7NEWS

Watch here: https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1252884520354738176

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4939 on: April 26, 2020, 10:12:20 AM »
Gives me a tingle downstairs.

Go on admit you're all the same...

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4940 on: April 26, 2020, 10:45:30 PM »
Hasn’t had a drink since Australia Day :shh
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4941 on: May 05, 2020, 04:21:41 PM »
Another list  ;D.

Dusty rated the 7th best midfielder of the 21st century (so far):

1. Gary Ablett jnr.
2. Chris Judd
3. Michael Voss
4. Adam Goodes
5. Nathan Buckley
6. Simon Black

7. Dustin Martin

No player has a thirst greater for big games than ‘Dusty’.

Martin has always been a great accumulator of the ball and a damaging midfielder since his debut in 2010, playing in over 20 games each season while averaging over 20 disposals every year.

Added to his ability to win the ball, Martin is one of the league’s best goal kickers and match winners, looking to go that one step further when the game is on the line.

Two Norm Smith medals a two Gary Ayes Awards from 2017 and 2019 established Martin to be one of the best come September, breaking down and stiff-arming opponents on the big stage singlehandedly.

His 2017 season is unparalleled, polling a record 36 Brownlow votes for the year to go along with just about every honour a midfielder could ask for.

Martin’s 225-game, 251-goal career is far from over, meaning his chance to further move up our list is a near-certainty.

8. Nathan Fyfe
9. Patrick Dangerfield
10. Scott Pendlebury
11. Dane Swan
12. Sam Mitchell
13. Mark Riccuito
14. Joel Selwood
15. Jason Akermanis

https://www.zerohanger.com/the-15-best-afl-midfielders-the-century-40262/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4942 on: May 11, 2020, 02:07:15 AM »
Dustin Martin and Paddy Ryder discuss what their Yokayi moments have been in their careers.

Watch Yokayi Footy now: https://www.afl.com.au/video/432573/yokayi-footy-e8-what-s-giving-gilly-goosebumps-dusty-s-yokayi-moment-reveal?videoId=432573&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1588759200001

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4943 on: May 11, 2020, 12:08:17 PM »
Another list  ;D.

Dusty rated the 7th best midfielder of the 21st century (so far):

1. Gary Ablett jnr.
2. Chris Judd
3. Michael Voss
4. Adam Goodes
5. Nathan Buckley
6. Simon Black

7. Dustin Martin

No player has a thirst greater for big games than ‘Dusty’.

Martin has always been a great accumulator of the ball and a damaging midfielder since his debut in 2010, playing in over 20 games each season while averaging over 20 disposals every year.

Added to his ability to win the ball, Martin is one of the league’s best goal kickers and match winners, looking to go that one step further when the game is on the line.

Two Norm Smith medals a two Gary Ayes Awards from 2017 and 2019 established Martin to be one of the best come September, breaking down and stiff-arming opponents on the big stage singlehandedly.

His 2017 season is unparalleled, polling a record 36 Brownlow votes for the year to go along with just about every honour a midfielder could ask for.

Martin’s 225-game, 251-goal career is far from over, meaning his chance to further move up our list is a near-certainty.

8. Nathan Fyfe
9. Patrick Dangerfield
10. Scott Pendlebury
11. Dane Swan
12. Sam Mitchell
13. Mark Riccuito
14. Joel Selwood
15. Jason Akermanis

https://www.zerohanger.com/the-15-best-afl-midfielders-the-century-40262/

Buckley rated too high!!! For me Swan is the best pie in the modern era

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4944 on: May 11, 2020, 02:37:14 PM »
FIGJAM

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4945 on: May 12, 2020, 02:56:09 PM »
🔜🤞

https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/1260025775635353601

And a flashback ...

Dusty kicks his first ever goal in 2010 with characteristic class 👌
Watch: https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/1260038913516638209

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4946 on: May 22, 2020, 07:46:34 PM »
Dusty portraits for #TigerArtFriday

@artistkelliesmith - Instagram

https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/1263742873343672320
    ‌‌

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dustin Martin is at peace — so much so he has been able to swap out his renowned mindfulness and meditation sessions for a simple walk around the block.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/fiona-byrne/how-dustin-martin-tuned-in-and-switched-off-during-lockdown/news-story/c567fdc957bcf084a2c8101e9dfd95f3

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

AFL superstar Dustin Martin on keeping fit in coronavirus lockdown

Brett Lackey
Daily Mail
23 May 2020

Dustin Martin has opened up about the challenges of staying fit during lockdown.

The 28-year-old Richmond Tigers superstar said he has been focusing on fine-tuning his mind and body during isolation.

And while he insists routine is important - having setup a home gym to keep in shape while away from training on the field - he said he has only picked up one new hobby.

'If sleeping on the couch in the afternoon is a hobby, that is what I did,' he told the Sunday Herald Sun.

Dustin Martin has described how he has been keeping fit during coronavirus lockdown and has revealed the very ordinary hobby he has started

In the two months the AFL has been on hold, Martin said he has actually quite enjoyed the time off to re-focus.

'I know it has not been easy for a lot of people in the community, but I kind of enjoyed the time to just stop everything and take it easy,' he said.

He has previously mentioned he is a fan of mindfulness and meditation but has been able to substitute some other habits in their place while there hasn't been the pressure of playing top level fixtures week to week. 

In addition to his afternoon naps, Martin has taken up going for daily walks to clear his mind - making sure to leave his phone behind and has been reading self help books. 

However, it hasn't been entirely been a holiday for the former Brownlow Medal winner.

'I made sure I had a routine where I got up early and did all my training in the morning, that sets your day up... I find if you are on your own and doing your own thing you tend to push yourself a bit harder.'

Martin (pictured with a friend) said he has enjoyed the refocusing during lockdowns but is eager to get back on the field

While he admits he has not been taking the on-field hits every week, he insists his body is ready for when the competition ramps up and is raring to get back out there.

Richmond are set to take on Collingwood on June 11 in the resumed 2020 AFL season.

'It is going to be different playing in front of no crowds, but we are all competitive beasts so we want to win and want to continue to be the best we can be. I am sure every other side is the same and who knows hopefully in a few months we might have some crowds.'

Also a budding businessman, Martin has signed a new contract with Bonds and will on Monday launch his X-Temp X-Factor underwear campaign.

Bonds had temporarily closed its stores during the coronavirus lockdowns but the marketing promotion coincides with the re-opening of their stores nationally on Monday.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8350349/AFL-superstar-Dustin-Martin-opens-keeping-body-shape-coronavirus-lockdown.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dusty eyes off back-to-back flags (West Australian)
« Reply #4948 on: May 24, 2020, 02:17:31 PM »
Dusty eyes off back-to-back flags

Oliver Caffrey
The West Australian
Sunday, 24 May 2020 11:00AM

Richmond superstar Dustin Martin is adamant a third AFL premiership would mean just as much as the first two - even if it comes during the coronavirus-affected 2020 season.

The Tigers’ flag defence was put on hold in March after just one round because of the COVID-19 lockdown.

Richmond have not won back-to-back premierships since 1974 and are aiming to hold the trophy aloft for the third time in four seasons to cement their spot as one of the great modern-day sides.

Even with the fixture-list slashed to 17 rounds, quarters shortened and fans indefinitely barred from attending games, Martin believes winning a grand final would still be a significant achievement.

“It’s certainly going to be different but it will certainly mean just as much,“ the two-time Norm Smith medallist told AAP.

“And who knows, we might be playing in front of people in a few months.

“We’re all competitive beasts. Every time we go out onto the oval we all want to win, whether there’s a crowd or not.

“That goes right across the league.”

While relishing a return to Punt Road for training on Monday, the 28-year-old made the most of his more than six weeks away from football.

“I really enjoyed the downtime, to be honest. Life gets pretty busy a lot of the time, so it was good to just slow down and simplify life a little bit,” Martin said.

“I made sure I got up really early every morning, banged out all my training. That usually takes up most of the morning.”

Boasting an experienced group, many of whom have featured in six of the last seven finals series, Richmond’s players knew the high standards expected of them from coach Damien Hardwick while in lockdown.

“Our older guys are good at checking in on the younger guys,” Martin said.

“It wasn’t over the top, just every now and then to ensure everyone’s fine.

“(Hardwick) has great trust in the group, which we’ve built over the years, so all the boys attacked their training really well.”

Martin, the 2017 Brownlow medallist, spoke to AAP as part of BONDS’ new campaign to celebrate football returning. BONDS stores will re-open on May 25.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-superstar-dustin-martin-eyes-off-back-to-back-flags-for-clubs-first-time-since-1974-ng-b881556529z

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4949 on: May 27, 2020, 12:24:03 AM »
Dustin Martin reveals Tigers Zoom conference ‘tight a***’ in AFL season lockdown

News.com.au
26 May 2020

Richmond superstar Dustin Martin is one of the lucky ones — life in isolation agrees with him.

The Tigers premiership hero has thrived in recent weeks, getting his body and mind prepared for the highly anticipated return of the 2020 AFL season on June 11.

Martin says he’s adapted to training in isolation at home and has even made changes to his regular mental health meditation and journaling routine.

The health of his mind and body have been boosted by regular weekly Zoom video conferences with former teammates ever since the AFL season was suspended in March.

Martin has told news.com.au in his role as an ambassador for the launch of the new Bonds’ X-Temp range, he has been happy to spend more time on his own in recent months — but has also enjoyed catch-ups with former teammates, including Nathan Foley, Chris Newman, Brett Deledio, Shaun Grigg, Troy Chaplin and Alex Rance.

The weekly chats were far from a well-oiled machine, Martin says, with Foley’s habit of penny-pinching regularly derailing the friendly catch-ups.

“Once a week I jumped on a Zoom call with some old teammates — we’re all still really close,” Martin said.

“Nathan Foley was the host and he was too much of a tight a*** to get the upgrade, so every 20 minutes we got cut off and had to re-join the chat.

“It wasn’t awkward at all, it was actually very funny.”

Despite the group clearly enjoying the ease of catching up from the comfort of their own loungerooms, Martin admits he is looking forward catching up with the former teammates in person once coronavirus restrictions are eased in June.

He says the team won’t keep up the weekly sessions once football returns and will instead make an effort to catch up in person when the AFL allows players to see friends again.

The video calls have given Martin some comic relieve, but he has otherwise flourished during self isolation.

“I have my own gym set up at home. You are allowed to train with one other person so I’ve been doing that, as well at the local footy oval,” he says of his isolation training program.

“I’ve been making the most of the time off to slow down a bit. Taking walks without the phone, training and keeping fit.”

When asked what he will miss most about his old daily life while living under the AFL’s strict biosecurity protocols, Martin said: “I spend a lot of time on my own anyway so it doesn’t affect me too much.

“Probably just being with friends and hanging out.”

Martin on Monday helped launch the new range of Bonds X-Temp X-Factor underwear which coincided with the re-opening of Bonds stores across the country.

The campaign features incredible shots of Martin sprinting on the running track at Sydney Olympic Park while dragging behind a mini-parachute.

“It’s a great time to be launching a Bonds campaign as we start to come out of isolation,
Martin said.

“Bonds are opening stores around Australia from Monday and we’re back at training so it’s a really positive time after being in lockdown.

“I’ve developed a strong relationship with Bonds, the X Temp shoot was perfect for me, we always collaborate on the campaign approach and I enjoy that part of the process.

“Shooting Bonds X-Temp campaign was different than a studio shoot, I enjoyed working on the track with the sprint parachute, it was a serious work out, I’m happy with how it turned out. “

Martin returned to official team training with Richmond on Monday.

Boasting an experienced group, many of whom have featured in six of the last seven finals series, Richmond’s players knew the high standards expected of them from coach Damien Hardwick while in lockdown.

“Our older guys are good at checking in on the younger guys,” Martin said.

“It wasn’t over the top, just every now and then to ensure everyone’s fine.

“(Hardwick) has great trust in the group, which we’ve built over the years, so all the boys attacked their training really well.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/dustin-martin-reveals-tigers-zoom-conference-tight-a-in-afl-season-lockdown/news-story/acb84cf94f7303c4080284ceb37abb46