Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 873747 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #4920 on: March 03, 2020, 03:02:19 PM »
‘Dusty is in town, boys. We need to train’: Life as a Bali footballer — where ‘every day is awesome’

March 3, 2020
Tom Morris
FOX SPORTS

But just before Christmas in 2018, head coach and 1993 premiership Bomber Ricky Olarenshaw received a text from Richmond superstar Dustin Martin, who was about to fly in from Melbourne.

Dusty was keen to strap on the boots for a session with the Geckos, a self-sufficient football club for men and women of all abilities, ages and backgrounds.

Olarenshaw, who relocated to Bali in 2013 and has since married a local and opened three F45 studios, sent out a group message he knew would receive traction: ‘Dusty is in town, boys. We need to train.’

Carlton veteran Kade Simpson and Melbourne gun Christian Petracca also joined, leading to an influx of locals and expats converging on Finns Rec Club.

“The boys came from everywhere to kick with Dusty,” Olarenshaw tells foxfooty.com.au with obvious pride.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2020-play-footy-in-bali-indonesia-ricky-olarenshaw-dustin-martin/news-story/7338d0e82353149fc79e373831c49280

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dusty could kick 80 goals in a season: Nick Riewoldt (Age)
« Reply #4921 on: March 03, 2020, 04:51:21 PM »
Dusty could kick 80 goals in a season: Nick Riewoldt

Jake Niall
The Age
3 March 2020

If Dustin Martin was a contentious choice as best afield in the exhumed state of origin exhibition on Friday, there was no question that he was more dangerous than any key forward, his Tiger teammates Tom Lynch and Jack Riewoldt included.

Martin's ability to win one-on-one contests close to goal and either score or generously give-off to a teammate has become more pronounced since 2017, as the Tigers have increased his time as a deep forward and cut down his on-ball minutes.

Since the Tigers have two bona fide key forwards in Lynch and Riewoldt, Martin has not been a necessity in attack, albeit he did boot six goals from nine disposals in the qualifying final against the Lions, when Damien Hardwick improvised and kept Dusty deep, in the knowledge that Brisbane didn't have an opponent capable of curbing him.

Richmond star Dustin Martin kicked six goals as Richmond smashed Brisbane in their AFL qualifying final.

But what could or would Dusty do if he was stationed as a forward, permanently, and did not spend half or more of his time in the midfield?

Nick Riewoldt, the ex-Saints champion turned commentator with Fox Footy, reckoned that Martin would be a rare forward capable of kicking 80 goals in a season, if kept exclusively forward.

Riewoldt said he did not think the AFL would see another forward break the 100-goal barrier, a safe call today given that the Coleman medallist struggles to get far past 60 goals.

It appears that 80 goals is the new 100. Riewoldt felt we would see another player surpass 80, and nominated Martin as one player with that capacity.

"It's just going to take somebody to be probably really courageous from a coaching point of view and just allow someone to [stay deep]. I mean, I think if Dusty just sat deep – when he goes deep – if he sat deep all the time, I think he could kick 80 in a year."

Riewoldt said the Tigers would have to "just hold their nerve" and keep Martin forward, and of course, they would depriving themselves of their premier on-baller. "You're robbing Peter to pay Paul. But I think if he did he'd be capable."

The presence of Lynch and Riewoldt means there's little chance that we'll find out just how many Martin could kick. He booted 37 in his stellar triple crown season of 2017 (Brownlow, Norm Smith Medal and flag), when his ratio of time spent midfield to forward was about 70-30.

Martin remained around that 70-30 ratio in 2018, but Hardwick deployed him forward more often last year, when he was closer to 55 per cent midfield, 45 forward. He booted 32 goals in 2019, but that relatively modest tally doesn't take account of Dusty's willingness to donate goals.

Martin ranked in the top five players for winning one-on-one contests in the AFL last year. As with Patrick Dangerfield – a superior overhead mark compared to Martin, but much less proficient at snaps – the query on stationing him as permanent forward is not simply the loss of midfield drive, but the reality that once a player is kept forward, he invariably draws better defenders than if he drags an ill-suited midfielder or flanker to the goal square.

On Friday, for instance, Jeremy Howe, who has played on the "resting" Martin on occasions in Richmond-Collingwood games, fared better than the smaller Brad Shepherd.

More broadly, it is revealing that Riewoldt nominated Martin – not Jeremy Cameron, Lynch or anyone over 193 centimetres – as the forward with the capability of breaking the 80-goal barrier.

Riewoldt believes there is still a place for the star key forward, but that the game has never been as difficult for those who ply his former craft. He thought Cameron had the potential to be the best forward in the game, even though he did not play as a "traditional" key forward.

"You could argue they're almost more important because the ability to win one-on-one contests, when you get them, there's such a premium on it now, but it's just the way the game's played now. It's never been more difficult to be a key forward."

Riewoldt's fellow former key forward and Fox colleague, Jonathan Brown, said, funnily enough, the trend was towards teams playing more key forwards. But due to the numbers deployed in defence, the role of those key forwards had changed.

Today's key forward, Brown said, was expected "as much to make a contest down the line, get the the ball to ground, avoid having intercept marks taken against you.

"So the key forward is very prominent in our game, but not from the score because there's so many numbers back there now, defensively.

"The game certainly doesn't flow like state of origin on Friday night.''

The game hasn't flowed like Friday night's exhibition much, because teams actually tackle in the real season. The key forward isn't extinct, and Dusty isn't about to become one.

Perhaps, we'll only see Martin re-invented as a primary forward late in his career, Leigh Matthews-style, if and when Nick Riewoldt's cousin Jack has finished.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/dusty-could-kick-80-goals-riewoldt-20200303-p546fs.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dusty’s decade: Comparing Martin to midfield greats Judd & GAJ (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #4922 on: March 04, 2020, 06:19:29 AM »
Dusty’s decade: Comparing Martin to midfield greats

Jon Ralph
Herald Sun
4 March 2020

The retired champion whose style of play most closely resembles Dustin Martin admits to having a man crush on the Brownlow medallist.

Eight-time All Australian Mark Ricciuto has been caught up in Martin mania at a time that the Tiger superstar has eclipsed Lance Franklin as the game’s most popular player.

“My kid barracks for Richmond because of Dusty and my cat is named Dusty after Dusty,” Ricciuto told the Herald Sun.

“I like him and my kids like him and he’s my favourite player to watch in the AFL.

“His kicking is brilliant, he is dangerous in the centre square, he is dangerous setting up forwards and he is dangerous when he’s forward, which is why he is the best player in the comp.

“I am a very poor man’s Dusty. With less tattoos, less hair, less premierships, less Brownlows.”

If Patrick Dangerfield dragged the AFL’s stars into the Bushfire relief game, Martin showed his class by winning the best-afield medal.

The fact he took home that award for a handful of exquisite moments only adds to his mystique.

This has truly been Dusty’s Decade, a 10-year period during which he has played 224 of a possible 231 games for Richmond.

He has never finished out of the club’s top-10 in the best-and-fairest with seven podium finishes.

He has won two flags, two Norm Smith Medals, a Brownlow and three All-Australian guernseys.

At just 28, he should roar past 300 games and set himself for a mammoth games tally by the time he retires.

How Dusty stacks up to Judd and Ablett.

It is hard to think of a more dominant player in their first decade, but Chris Judd was six times All Australian in the same time frame while Gary Ablett Jr had one of his two Brownlows, two flags and five All-Australian nods.

We are truly in the era of Peak Dusty.

The Herald Sun canvassed greats of the game at Monday’s Fox Footy season launch to ask how Martin compared to footy’s best midfielders.

Alastair Lynch compared Martin to triple-premiership captain Michael Voss, who he played alongside for 11 seasons.

“Vossy was in the middle more but those strong bodies that can just win a one-on-one or take a mark and just change the game, they are very similar the way they want about it,” Lynch said.

“They are so hard to tackle. Vossy’s great ability was not the fend, but he would get his hands free to get the handball away. Both are incredibly powerful.

“I love his ability in one on ones to make the most of his touches.

“In the Grand Final he was that far the difference in the Norm Smith Medal, it was ridiculous.”

Dermott Brereton, who played with Leigh Matthews laughed when he said Martin kicks better than Matthews — who won eight best-and-fairests, kicked 915 goals and amassed 7374 possessions.

“Having said that Leigh found a way to get it through the goals,” Brereton said.

“I would love to say there are real similarities. But Leigh ended up as a small forward who could mark over his head.

“Dusty ends up as a mid-sized forward who can outmark one-on-one but not overhead.”

Brereton said he had never seen anyone in the past decade who was a better decision maker or calmer with the footy than Martin.

“But in an era where if you get 20 possessions you were in the top three players, the amount of times Leigh got 30 plus was phenomenal and you add 900-plus goals.

“So we are talking Lance Franklin’s goalkicking prowess with about 5000 more possessions.”

Jordan Lewis, who shared the field with dual Norm Smith Medallist Luke Hodge, said both players gave their teammates “supreme confidence” that they would perform.

“Martin does the stuff that you can never really picture yourself doing but Hodgey did the reliable things so well,” Lewis said.

“Dusty is more eye-catching but the typical stuff was the hard and tough stuff and his ability to be in the contest and make good decisions set him part from anyone else.”

Dusty's 10 best and fairest finishes

2019 - Sixth

2018 - Third

2017 - Won

2016 - Won

2015 - Second

2014 - Third

2013 - Second

2012 - Tenth

2011 - Third

2010 - Fourth

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/dustys-decade-how-peak-dustin-martin-compares-to-the-games-midfield-greats/news-story/e28ead39f234af3060416ad572b0119f

Offline amc11

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4923 on: March 06, 2020, 08:11:07 PM »
The full interview with Dustin Martin filmed for Australian Story about Marlion Pickett is on Youtube now courtesy of ABC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQu8W7s3e1w&list=PLDTPrMoGHssDzqF7spxT_VH3Zd266tSEp&index=2

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4924 on: March 09, 2020, 04:52:10 AM »
DUSTY DIFFERENCE MAKER

Marsh Series - Giants v Tigers - The Mongrel Punt
HB Meyers
March 8, 2020

Do you think Martin took the foot off the pedal in the second half? Maybe just a little?

At half time, the reigning Norm Smith Medallist had 16 touches and two goals. He added just eight touches in the second half, and a couple of times he looked as though the chasing aspect of the game was something he wasn’t interested in.

Such is the way of Dustin Martin.

He still applied great pressure when the ball was in his vicinity – his smother and resultant goal in the first quarter were vintage Dusty, but this was still a practice game, and you don’t go 100% in practice games.

Still, Martin was the only player on the park that was able to contribute double figures in score involvements. In short, when the ball is in his hands, good poo happens.

As if you needed to be told that, right? Thanks Captain Obvious…

https://themongrelpunt.com/afl-season-2020/2020/03/08/marsh-series-giants-v-tigers/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Booze-free Dusty primed for career-best year (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #4925 on: March 11, 2020, 03:16:41 AM »
Booze-free Dusty primed for career-best year

Jon Ralph
Herald Sun
March 11, 2020

Dustin Martin has sworn off the booze this summer as he prepares to add to his remarkable collection of football accolades.

Martin is in career-best shape and determined not to be complacent despite his second Norm Smith Medal in a 2019 season where he somehow missed an All Australian jumper.

His captain Trent Cotchin confirmed a historic moment on the weekend after 223 AFL matches – his first smother against GWS in the contest at Wagga Wagga.

Cotchin told the Herald Sun it underlines how Martin is determined to work on the small things that will add to his remarkable style of play.

“He actually said to me running back after he kicked a goal, I think that’s the first smother ever,” he said.

“I don’t know, I think that’s a little unfair. There have been times in his game when he has done the one percenters well because he can do everything else so well.”

Cotchin said it wasn’t the first time Martin had gone alcohol-free in his desire to ensure he was in perfect condition for the upcoming season.

“I think like anyone making a choice it proves a clearness and calmness. I am not sure who has shared the information but he does it a lot of the time,” he said.

“I think that’s what makes the competition's best so good and you look at the likes of Scotty Pendlebury who has been at the top of his game for so many years, it’s the inner competitive beast that makes them great.

“Each one of those players could probably rest on their laurels but you want to be the best version of yourself possible.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/dustin-martin-puts-himself-on-booze-ban-in-effort-to-take-his-game-to-an-even-higher-level/news-story/37da56887b3143b57569a1c5d8574bbf

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Don’t let the tatts fool you, Dusty is all class (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #4926 on: March 15, 2020, 06:39:16 PM »
Don’t let the tatts fool you, Dusty is all class

Fiona Byrne
Sunday Herald Sun
March 15, 2020

Time is of the essence for Richmond champion Dustin Martin.

Martin is showing a liking for the finer things in life and sees fit to reward himself with, say, an expensive watch or special experience after a career high point.

The superstar footballer has collaborated with Melbourne-based luxury watch retailer Kennedy in a display of precision and excellence.

The two-time premiership player and 2017 Brownlow medallist will showcase Kennedy watches in a series of images and videos highlighting different styles of timepieces for different social occasions, from exercising to relaxing or attending black-tie events.

“I really like the style of the watches. I think they go with my own style,’’ Martin said.

“I treated myself to a luxury watch after the 2017 season. I think it’s important to reward yourself and celebrate after a lot of hard work.

“I work with Kennedy because they are constantly striving to achieve the best. I relate to that.’’

Martin is becoming something of a fashionista these days and is showing plenty of flair in front of a camera. He must have a growing collection of fine watches, and has previously spoken of his love of Melbourne’s up-market dining scene — Rockpool, Vue de Monde and France-Soir are among his favourite dining choices.

Martin and his Tiger teammates will launch into the 2020 AFL season on Thursday night as the reigning premiers against Carlton.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/fiona-byrne/dustin-martin-shows-classy-side-in-modelling-campaign-for-kennedy-watches/news-story/06e01cf216e1a4d29f638790e956a290

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4927 on: March 23, 2020, 01:40:30 PM »
Ross Lyon named who he believes is the best player in the AFL.

On Triple M Footy debut, Lyon said the Richmond superstar Dustin Martin is still the very best, overlooking Nat Fyfe who he worked very closely with.

Lyon explained that his impact on matches is what makes him better than the rest.

Listen here: https://www.triplem.com.au/story/ross-lyon-names-the-best-player-in-the-league-158483

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4928 on: March 25, 2020, 01:07:10 PM »
10 years ago today, a young @DustinMartin4 made his AFL debut. The rest is history  :gotigers.

https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/1242616642502193152

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4929 on: March 25, 2020, 09:18:03 PM »
I like that article. One powerhouse midfielder who is an afl great started out as a punishing mid and ended up as an unstoppable fwd his name was leigh mathews.
There is little doubt imo Dusty could be better than Mathews as a fwd.

Atm id describe Dusty as the only proven power mid we have as such he is still needed to spend significant time there.

One thing i dont think we do well is target young kiwi's in particular maoris to play our game.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4930 on: March 26, 2020, 09:47:39 AM »
I like that article. One powerhouse midfielder who is an afl great started out as a punishing mid and ended up as an unstoppable fwd his name was leigh mathews.
There is little doubt imo Dusty could be better than Mathews as a fwd.

Atm id describe Dusty as the only proven power mid we have as such he is still needed to spend significant time there.

One thing i dont think we do well is target young kiwi's in particular maoris to play our game.

When you look at a player like Dusty, you think gee maybe we should try to get more blokes with his genetic make up. But I wonder if that Maoris aren't really built for AFL. They are huge, strong, often fast etc but largely seem better suited to rugby - less endurance. Dusty being half/half seems to have the benefits of both worlds.

I've often wondered what it would be like getting African Americans into the sport. You look at a guy like Lebron James and wonder how the F someone that big can move the way he does. I guess the reality is that a sport like AFL is almost impossible to master unless someone has started as a child. All the guys that try to learn it in their adult life only make passable players at best.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #4931 on: March 26, 2020, 03:16:33 PM »
Ben Simmons would be the only big name NBA star who'd excel at footy because he grew up playing it, knows how it works and was already fairly good at it....the rest would all be useless... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4932 on: March 26, 2020, 05:31:39 PM »
Ben Simmons would be the only big name NBA star who'd excel at footy because he grew up playing it, knows how it works and was already fairly good at it....the rest would all be useless... :shh

Yeah if he's prepared to take a 95% paycut or whatever haha

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4933 on: April 02, 2020, 04:52:55 AM »
Matthew Lloyd believes shortened quarters will benefit an impact player like Dusty as he won't need to be rested on the bench as much.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/videos/afl/the-winners-and-losers-of-shortened-games/ck8hdg46300070go8od5gwxk8

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4934 on: April 02, 2020, 08:40:34 AM »
It's not like dusty is unfit or anything Geez