Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 950410 times)

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #7005 on: July 03, 2024, 09:19:10 AM »
I would take a top 10 pick for Dusty …

lol 😂
Reckon anyone and everyone involved at Richmond would do this as well

Small problem is we would need someone at the GC to be willing to do that

Which is the problem with fantasies

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7006 on: July 03, 2024, 12:55:19 PM »
Can't be as categoric as @TheOx05 was today, but do not discount Dusty & Dimma at the @GoldCoastSUNS in 2025 just yet. It's absolutely still on the table. Those who know Dusty best say staying at @Richmond_FC is the least likely of the three scenarios. @FootyonNine @wwos👇

Source: Tom Morris/Nine Twitter.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7007 on: July 03, 2024, 01:27:46 PM »
How will that happen
Unsure, and likely never will, but he will be a great marketing coup for GC.

He is a free agent next year anyway isn’t he??

UFA this year

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7008 on: July 04, 2024, 05:22:04 PM »
No Dusty deadline from Tigers coach as speculation swirls

Adem Yze brushes off speculation about the playing future of Dustin Martin

By AAP
4 July 2024

RICHMOND coach Adem Yze has dismissed "speculation" Dustin Martin is Gold Coast-bound and says the Tigers haven't put a firm deadline on the superstar's decision on his future.

Martin appears unlikely to make the trip west to face Fremantle this weekend after he was substituted out with a back injury against Carlton on Sunday and was restricted to limited training on Thursday.

His future - whether he continues with Richmond, moves elsewhere or retires at season's end - is back in focus.

Former mentor Damien Hardwick on Wednesday kept the door open for a reunion with Martin at Gold Coast when he said clubs would be "crazy" not to consider recruiting him.

But Yze laughed off a report that Martin had already committed to joining the Suns on a two-year deal at season's end.

"That's all speculation," Yze said on Thursday. "All I know is walking into the building today, (he's) bubbly, he's enjoying being here.

"As I've said all along, he'll make those decisions in the coming weeks on what he's doing and what his future looks like.

"But right now, he's thinking about getting out there and training and putting his hand up for selection.

"Earlier in the year I did try to push it and say, 'let's look at the end of July or the start of August or whatever it is - just so that we can make those decisions' and it's obviously getting closer to that now.

"But we haven't got a timeline on it other than the fact that we just want him happy and healthy while he's here and he can make those decisions."

Richmond is also awaiting a decision on whether vice-captain Liam Baker stays or returns to Western Australia, but aren't putting pressure on him either.

"He's (Martin) been in a really good space for the last six weeks, I reckon," Yze said.

"We had a discussion around that and said, 'let's not think about it until later in the year. And when you come in, let's come in with some energy' - same as the discussion I had with Liam Baker.

"It's too hard to carry that sort of weight when you're trying to work out what you're gonna do and then still perform at a high level.

"So he's in that mode right now and he seems pretty happy."

Yze conceded teams approaching potential recruits in-season reflected a more mature industry and he has no issue with players "ticking all the boxes" when making decisions on their futures.

Martin was restricted to light running and walking at training alongside hamstrung spearhead Tom Lynch, with a decision on his availability to be made on Thursday afternoon.

"One, we want to make sure his back is okay, and then we'll make a decision on his full body and whether the six-day break and the travel is going to be a bit too much," Yze said.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1163302/no-dustin-martin-deadline-from-richmond-tigers-coach-adem-yze-as-speculation-swirls-about-move-to-gold-coast-suns

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7009 on: July 04, 2024, 05:40:38 PM »
I think one thing is for sure, this is his last year at Richmond. I’d hope he would retire before playing for gc but we’ll see

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7010 on: July 05, 2024, 12:06:06 AM »
"This can be a really elegant dismount for a bloke who deserves that."

The panel discusses the big question facing Dustin Martin, as Eddie McGuire says clubs 'are keen' if the Tigers champion is open to leaving Richmond.

#9FootyClassified

https://x.com/FootyonNine/status/1808445121140293752

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7011 on: July 05, 2024, 09:16:22 AM »
He has looked absolutely disinterested lately, which is really sad.

I agree with Simon - can't see him continuing to play for the club after this year.

I hope he retires and stays a one club player, would hate to see him in other colours, but wouldn't really hold it against him as any club is likely to pay him overs (given his '24 output) purely for marketing value.

Would be a kick in the guts if he moves elsewhere and plays to a high level and it becomes evident that he was completely checked out at RFC.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7012 on: July 05, 2024, 01:37:02 PM »
For me no matter what the end at Richmond is 2024. Was a bit disappointed that he didn't even do a club interview at Punt Road end instead did fox footy.

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7013 on: July 05, 2024, 06:29:28 PM »
He is giving 100k of effort when he is taking home $1.4mil this year. He needs to be moved on for everyone’s sake.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7014 on: July 05, 2024, 06:39:31 PM »
 Geez, give it a spell will ya? He’s a once a generation player who literally won a flag off his own boot.
There’s a half a dozen finals he also won us so you can all go and stuff yourselves sideways talking about a legend of our club in that way.

Ungrateful grubs.

Who cares about this year? What does it matter?
He’s put far more in our coffers than we have done for him.

FFS, he dragged in 50k just for his 300th - and that interview was as us much for the masses that stayed at the game than foxtel bandwagoners who stayed at home.

Did YOU stick around for the post match?
Did YOU even show up? I’ll bet I know the answer.

I wish some supporters spend more time looking in the hall of mirrors at themselves than poking the chest of others - particularly those as great as Dusty.

Pathetic.

“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7015 on: July 05, 2024, 08:01:34 PM »
He is giving 100k of effort when he is taking home $1.4mil this year. He needs to be moved on for everyone’s sake.

You keep posting this and it’s so disingenuous. You make it sound like he signed a 1 year 1.4 million dollar contract at the end of last season. He signed a 7 year 7.7 million dollar contract when he could have left and gotten millions more.

He wasn’t given a 7 year deal based on what his output would be in the last couple years of it, he was given it based on what his output would be in 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 & 2022. I think with 3 flags, 3 norms and countless other accolades he’s paid back that contract 100 fold.

The fact he’s getting 1.4 million this year is inconsequential. Remember money now is always better than money later. He absolutely did the club a solid by back ending it so that we could stay under the salary cap in our contending years.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2024, 08:47:00 PM by Tiger Khosh »

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7016 on: July 05, 2024, 08:17:58 PM »
He will retire this year as the greatest Tiger ever. Be thankful you witnessed his career  :bow

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7017 on: July 05, 2024, 08:37:04 PM »
Personally I don't begrudge him the contract.

Love the guy.

Just don't feel like I'm seeing enough effort. Looks disinterested.

In situations like that I feel like a senior player is better off retiring sooner rather than later.

Still hoping I get to see some classic Dusty moments before seasons end though.

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7018 on: July 05, 2024, 09:41:08 PM »

You keep posting this and it’s so disingenuous. You make it sound like he signed a 1 year 1.4 million dollar contract at the end of last season. He signed a 7 year 7.7 million dollar contract when he could have left and gotten millions more.

He wasn’t given a 7 year deal based on what his output would be in the last couple years of it, he was given it based on what his output would be in 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 & 2022. I think with 3 flags, 3 norms and countless other accolades he’s paid back that contract 100 fold.

The fact he’s getting 1.4 million this year is inconsequential. Remember money now is always better than money later. He absolutely did the club a solid by back ending it so that we could stay under the salary cap in our contending years.

His last 3 years have been poor. Get over it it’s a fact!

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7019 on: July 05, 2024, 09:43:47 PM »
Who stuffn cares knighter? Like, seriously who TF complains about what he has left on the table when he’s done so much.

People  ::)
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.