Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 1071798 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #7275 on: September 17, 2024, 07:20:42 AM »
Hate to say it but I agree with Caro and heaven help me,  Kane Cornes
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7276 on: September 17, 2024, 07:32:37 AM »
What is his motivation to not try? Doesn’t make sense
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7277 on: September 17, 2024, 09:05:14 AM »
Cornes and Wilson are right.

As for Dusty, you have to wonder if he was just mentally cooked and is considering whether or not a move to GCS might reinvigorate him.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7278 on: September 17, 2024, 03:21:46 PM »
Regardless should have been upfront and more transparent let's forget he was on the big $$$ this season and was rubbish.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #7279 on: September 17, 2024, 05:13:42 PM »
Regardless should have been upfront and more transparent let's forget he was on the big $$$ this season and was rubbish.
Yeah but he was on chump change early on and back ended his contract, could have moved on for much bigger $, but back ended to help us win flags, ye canna ha ye cak an et it to laddie !!

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7280 on: September 17, 2024, 06:34:16 PM »
Yeah but he was on chump change early on and back ended his contract, could have moved on for much bigger $, but back ended to help us win flags, ye canna ha ye cak an et it to laddie !!

Not sure what language you used there but I agree.

Crazy people bringing up his contract.  You can question his motivation , but not his pay packet IMO.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7281 on: Yesterday at 01:10:21 AM »
‘Wrong message’: AFL icon’s ominous Dusty warning amid potential retirement backflip

Ed Bourke
Foxsports
September 18, 2024

Former Sydney premiership coach Paul Roos has warned bringing Dustin Martin on board could spark disillusionment within Gold Coast’s playing ranks.

The Suns last week confirmed they were in talks with Martin regarding a potential extension of his AFL career after the triple Norm Smith medallist retired with three games remaining in the Tigers’ season.

Roos said if he was senior coach Damien Hardwick, he would not entertain a move for the 33-year-old despite his believed interest in a move north.

“If I’m coaching the Suns, I’m ringing Dusty saying, ‘mate, great career, fantastic, if you ever want a ticket to a game come up, we’d love to host you. You’ve been an icon of the game, ride off into the sunset’,” Roos told the ABC’s AFL Daily podcast.

“He’s retired, he’s given all he can to the Richmond Football Club, I don’t know what Damien Hardwick is thinking … but I’m sending him a text saying … ‘you’ve been hard to coach against, but it’s been great to watch you play, all the best for the future’.”

Roos said current Gold Coast players could be unhappy with the club seeking out a retired player, regardless of Martin’s past achievements.

“It’s so interesting, particularly when he’s retired, that’s the added factor to it. If he had played 20 games this year and the Suns had talked him into going up there, this may be a different conversation,” Roos said.

“We’re (recruiting) a player that’s retired a Richmond legend, does it send the wrong message? Probably – it probably does a bit, it sends to your team that ‘I’m not confident in you, I’m now going to get a player that’s in retirement … to come out and get us where we want to get to’.

“Unless Dimma (Hardwick) has gone to the leadership group, or the leadership group has gone to Dimma and said ‘we want Dustin Martin’ – without that conversation, I think it sends the wrong message.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2024-paul-roos-warns-dustin-martin-move-for-gold-coast-suns-retirement-backflip-damien-hardwick-richmond-tigers-comments-latest-news/news-story/4afe9afaef768f6f34755d36f448c73f

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7282 on: Yesterday at 01:10:56 AM »
If Dustin Martin gets to Gold Coast, it will be on the Suns' terms.

VIDEO: https://x.com/traderadio/status/1835931692910924177

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7283 on: Yesterday at 08:45:20 AM »
Lmao Roos.

As if there's a single player in the AFL that wouldn't want to line up with The Legend that is Dusty, even in his twilight.

Online lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7284 on: Yesterday at 09:19:18 AM »
Make of this as you will, Deledio on dyl and friends reckons the whole martin reached out is a lie. Martin is in the GC though but maybe it’s just a baby shower for his good mate Dane swan (check his Instagram)

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7285 on: Yesterday at 10:40:31 AM »
Dusty wouldn't reach out.

GCS would and probably half the other clubs would, especially a club that has crap membership numbers.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7286 on: Yesterday at 03:58:05 PM »
Like I said I’ll believe it when I see it.

Just seems like a media beat up of the same story for the 100th time.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7287 on: Yesterday at 08:14:05 PM »
Fremantle Dockers urged to make a bold play for Richmond Tigers superstar Dustin Martin by Craig Hutchison

Fremantle have been urged to make a bold play for retired Richmond legend Dustin Martin in what would be an “obvious fit” for the club.

Veteran reporter and media owner Craig Hutchison believes Martin, who won three premierships and three Norm Smith Medals in the Tigers’ golden era, could help the Dockers breakthrough for a maiden flag.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/fremantle-dockers/fremantle-dockers-urged-to-make-a-bold-play-for-richmond-tigers-superstar-dustin-martin-by-craig-hutchison--c-16099916

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #7288 on: Yesterday at 08:35:09 PM »
Lmao fat clown.... :badidea
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7289 on: Today at 01:01:15 AM »
"We've been waiting for them to play finals, he might just shift the needle."

Jimmy Bartel on Dusty's likely switch to the Suns, as the panel discusses looming offseason moves.

https://x.com/FootyonNine/status/1836354002675548472