Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 876046 times)

Dubstep Dookie

Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #735 on: August 24, 2011, 07:37:42 PM »
What are the other two? Gynecologists?

Proctologists

I saw a proctologist the other day. What confused me most about the examination was when he put both hands on my shoulders...

gerkin greg

« Reply #736 on: August 24, 2011, 10:56:40 PM »
Footballer first as opposed to athletes first footballer 2nd.

Trengove is totally footballer first, athlete second. Look-out when he gets a few pre-seasons into him and builds his athleticism. He didn't play seniors in the SANFL finals as a 17yr old because he was a good runner.

Scully was certainly the better athlete of the three as a junior, but he's also got a good brain on him.

All three are good 'footballers' if you ask me. Naturals.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #737 on: August 25, 2011, 08:38:58 AM »
I agree, but I reckon we lucked in.  Martin has strength, skill, courage and I don't doubt the others do too.  Scully looks to need a few more years of physical development imo.  Trengove has stood up under the physicality a lot better and does have some great skills too but honesty I wouldn't change a thing.  Dusty was perfect.  I am not looking in envy and saying if only except perhaps if we got our priority ...
Lots of people name their swords......

gerkin greg

« Reply #738 on: August 25, 2011, 06:06:40 PM »
No way am I looking at the other two in envy

Martin  :bow

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #739 on: August 25, 2011, 06:51:26 PM »
Goes without saying Dustin Is a beast. He is superior to the melbourne lads but tengrove is still a fine footballer. And i'd cream myself if scully was added to our midfield group.

His gut runnig and solid professional way of going about it would be almost the perfect compliment to our group.

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #740 on: August 26, 2011, 08:47:32 PM »
Let the bodies hit the floor

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #741 on: August 26, 2011, 09:38:06 PM »
Prior to the draft I had Trengove as the best of the three. If he had slipped to our pick 3 I wouldn't have cared although Dusty complements Cotch whereas Trengove is similar to Cotch in the way they play. The one question mark I had over Scully was his size being smaller than Dusty and Trengove but right now it's that knee problem which is the main concern.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #742 on: August 28, 2011, 06:07:55 PM »
Dusty sure knows how to be a matchwinner when he goes forward. Two goals in the last plus that amazing soccer chip to Vickery. His footysmarts are just so instinctive.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Muscles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #743 on: August 28, 2011, 06:18:50 PM »
Dusty, very strong in core. Couple of times today, he was tackled pretty well. He stood up in the tackles and eventually broke away. Impressive!

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #744 on: August 28, 2011, 06:40:00 PM »
Should play on instinct all the time. That soccer kick to Vix just reminded me of his tap in from Nahas cross against Nought. Brilliant stuff.
Glad we got Dusty.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #745 on: August 29, 2011, 12:48:07 AM »
Defensive Dusty still a gem
By Max Phillips
7:24 PM Sun 28 Aug, 2011

HE DIDN'T kick a swag of goals or collect a pile of possessions, but Dustin Martin was still among Richmond's best in the Tigers' 22-point victory over Adelaide on Sunday afternoon.

Martin, in his second year of AFL, has averaged 22 possessions and kicked 31 goals this season, and is quickly making a name as one of the most damaging and exciting young midfielders in the competition.

But it was a different Dustin Martin on display against the notoriously hard-running Crows.

Martin's performance showed maturity, leadership and selflessness beyond his years as the 20-year-old Tiger steered Richmond to victory after the Tigers trailed by as much as 24 points during the opening term.

Martin still managed to gather 19 possessions and boot two goals, but it was his defensive pressure that brought adulation from Richmond coach Damien Hardwick.

"Offensively, 'Dusty' can play there's no doubt - he's got that ability to press forward," Hardwick said.

"But the thing we've really been pleased with is his ability to tackle and chase.

"We sat down with him and showed him a few players and how they measure their game on it (tackling pressure) and funnily enough, if you get your defensive game right, your offensive game certainly follows."

On Sunday, Martin laid nine tackles, the second highest of his career, had five clearances and three score-assists.

"He's going to be a very, very good footy player for this club for a long time," Hardwick said.

Martin revealed that the defensive aspect of his game has been a focus for improvement in recent weeks.

"It's something that I've been poor at throughout the year," Martin told afl.com.au.

"I probably haven't been laying enough tackles as a midfielder so I've really been working at that in the last month."

Martin said that it was an improved desire for the contest that was behind the Tigers' recent return to form culminating in three consecutive wins.

"Our intensity and physicality has been really good and that's what we've been focusing on," he said.

"Winning the one-on-ones and winning the contested ball - that's what we're after."

The Tigers' brave win will give Richmond supporters plenty to look forward to at Punt Road as 2012 approaches, with just one assignment remaining this season against North Melbourne next Sunday afternoon.

"We wanted to finish the year off strong and I think we are showing that," Martin said.

"We're not going to give up towards the end of the season - we're going to play some really good footy and build momentum into next year.

"We'll come out firing next week."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/122105/default.aspx

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #746 on: August 29, 2011, 09:57:49 AM »
I noticed both Nahas and Edwards employ the rugby style fend off that Dusty uses to break free of a tackler in front of them.  Good to see they are learning from each other.  It is a good skill, if you have some momentum or good strength it puts em off balance momentarily if u hit them right and u buy yourself some time to dispose of the pill or break free.  If like Nahas your smaller, all he does is bounce off but it still stops him getting hold.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #747 on: September 13, 2011, 12:52:20 PM »
You've got to laugh at some of the crap Sheeds come up with  :wallywink

Comment From Con
Are you a little sad Sheeds that you couldn't grab Dustin Martin? Money talks but this kid's loyalty speaks far louder than Scully's mismanaged move

Kevin Sheedy:
Dustin Martin might not always stay at Richmond. People forget that clubs trade players when they want to, and what's happening now is players are choosing to leave when they want to more often.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/anger-as-tom-scully-takes-money-and-runs/story-fn69a32t-1226135186228

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #748 on: September 13, 2011, 12:59:29 PM »
What he said is true. But it didn't answer the question of Martin being loyal for not wanting to move when by his own admission players are choosing to leave more often. So that speaks even more of his loyalty.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #749 on: October 28, 2011, 04:02:12 PM »

http://lockerz.com/s/150897576

mitch farmer twitter| mitchF15

"Just cruzin with my boy @DustinMartin4 #winners"