Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 849601 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2009, 09:02:31 PM »
It makes you wonder how much psychological warfare for want of a better expression goes on from clubs about various draftees to try and get them to slip down the draft order to their pick or build up other kids who a club may have no interest in. Rich was bagged mercilessly last year about having no development left in him, no X factor, and he couldn't break a tag. It was utter BS. Cotch likewise was bagged for not being able to break a tag and being an outside player. Joel Selwood's body wouldn't stand up to AFL after 5 years. Mitch Clark and Buddy had bad attitudes who would head home to WA. None of them had great U18 Champs but they've showed their worth at AFL level and why as juniors they were rated so highly.

Butcher kicked 32.19 this year from 11 TAC Cup games. Hardly the stats of a hack goalkicker. If we rubbished key forwards because of the occasional yips in front of the big sticks we would call Buddy, Richo, N.Riewoldt, J.Brown all duds when in fact quality big key forwards are matchwinners.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2009, 09:07:02 PM »
You're right WAT its a forum, but if you are prepared to make suggestions which is your right I or anybody can make a comment on those suggestions which is our right. It's nothing personal to you if I don't agree with them. I don't know you from a bar of soap or anybody on this forum from that matter. You would hardly call my responses offensive to you or anybody.

As for me "Supercoach? " No not at all just presenting an answer to your suggestions and those suggestions I wish to talk about. If your skin is not that thick and I strike a raw nerve with my responses to your suggestions then so be it. If psychologically you crave acceptance and disagreeing with you prevents you from attaining this then I suggest you look for spiritual enlightenment to fulfill you and the rest will eventually fall into place. Just really think about what you are presenting. Rewording the same question with a different name is not putting anything out there.

You need to see a shrink WAT and get some thicker skin if you want to present us with your thoughts and then cry foul when you are not agreed upon. Hence your ideas are so revered on Big Footy and Punt Rd End. :lol :rollin :lol

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2009, 09:20:45 PM »
It makes you wonder how much psychological warfare for want of a better expression goes on from clubs about various draftees to try and get them to slip down the draft order to their pick or build up other kids who a club may have no interest in. Rich was bagged mercilessly last year about having no development left in him, no X factor, and he couldn't break a tag. It was utter BS. Cotch likewise was bagged for not being able to break a tag and being an outside player. Joel Selwood's body wouldn't stand up to AFL after 5 years. Mitch Clark and Buddy had bad attitudes who would head home to WA. None of them had great U18 Champs but they've showed their worth at AFL level and why as juniors they were rated so highly.

Butcher kicked 32.19 this year from 11 TAC Cup games. Hardly the stats of a hack goalkicker. If we rubbished key forwards because of the occasional yips in front of the big sticks we would call Buddy, Richo, N.Riewoldt, J.Brown all duds when in fact quality big key forwards are matchwinners.

Its exactly what i have been saying all along but on this forum Butcher will always remain a terrible kick.

Too much emphasis has been on these bloody draft camps. Nathan Buckley says if you dont hit the target then there is something wrong. I even heard roosy i think say he wasn't a fan of this testing.

A player can be the best player all year in the TAC Cup but have an average draft camp then slide out of the top 10.

Butcher will be that guy this year but i just get the feeling it will come back to bite us.

We need to do everything we can to upgrade that Pick 19.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2009, 09:26:26 PM »
You're right WAT its a forum, but if you are prepared to make suggestions which is your right I or anybody can make a comment on those suggestions which is our right. It's nothing personal to you if I don't agree with them. I don't know you from a bar of soap or anybody on this forum from that matter. You would hardly call my responses offensive to you or anybody.

As for me "Supercoach? " No not at all just presenting an answer to your suggestions and those suggestions I wish to talk about. If your skin is not that thick and I strike a raw nerve with my responses to your suggestions then so be it. If psychologically you crave acceptance and disagreeing with you prevents you from attaining this then I suggest you look for spiritual enlightenment to fulfill you and the rest will eventually fall into place. Just really think about what you are presenting. Rewording the same question with a different name is not putting anything out there.

You need to see a shrink WAT and get some thicker skin if you want to present us with your thoughts and then cry foul when you are not agreed upon. Hence your ideas are so revered on Big Footy and Punt Rd End. :lol :rollin :lol

:sleep :sleep :sleep. If you pass on the name of your shrink to me I will see what I can do!! You did not put an answer to my question you told me to leave it alone, you told me, that is not a forum that is an order!!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2009, 09:41:58 PM »
Hide your apparent lack of footy knowledge by trying to present an intelligent argument. :whistle
I can honestly say you are the biggest fwit on this forum. All you do is talk crap. Your suggestions are as lame as they are stupid. You are so detatched from reality footy wise I wonder whether you actually know the game. :wallywink
Nevertheless I hope when you have your snooze tonight Richmond does pick up Hooper McDonald and every Eagle and Docker out of contract beacause that's how close to reality it will become.FACT. Won't help RFC won't do anything for us, but only an idiot like you would actually mention it. :help
Have a good night.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2009, 09:59:58 PM »
Let's leave the personal squabbles out of the posting people and stick to the topic ::)

Offline crannyvegas

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2009, 10:13:39 PM »
ooooh i do like pointless passionate sniping!!!

My thoughts are that if you have a raft of talented midfeilders you will go alot further than having one mega talented KPP (and Butcher from all accounts is not mega talented). Geelong won this year with a so so forward line and one of the better midfields ever assembled. You watch the development Post, Jack & Vickery when they are getting the ball delivered lace out by Delidio & co.
Detka! Detka! Detka!

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2009, 10:16:54 PM »
Overflowing hamburger theory CV.   :thumbsup

Build it and they will come.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2009, 10:17:14 PM »
Hide your apparent lack of footy knowledge by trying to present an intelligent argument. :whistle
I can honestly say you are the biggest fwit on this forum. All you do is talk crap. Your suggestions are as lame as they are stupid. You are so detatched from reality footy wise I wonder whether you actually know the game. :wallywink
Nevertheless I hope when you have your snooze tonight Richmond does pick up Hooper McDonald and every Eagle and Docker out of contract beacause that's how close to reality it will become.FACT. Won't help RFC won't do anything for us, but only an idiot like you would actually mention it. :help
Have a good night.

Yeak ok, I won't lower myself, enjoy your night too..
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2009, 10:26:19 PM »
Martin has been my first selection for some time now. I actually rate him higher than Trengove based on his disposal skills, core strength (breaks tackles), poise in tight situations, ability to win his own ball and overhead ability. Based purely on the footage I have seen, the only pluses Trengove has on Martin is his leadership ability (Capt of SA) and defensive mindset. I have not seen any evidence that Martin does not have a defensive side to his game but can only go on what I have seen on the clips so if someone has seen either player in person please tell me otherwise.

Either way I believe the defensive/team-orientated elements will be drummed into all new recruits and existing players alike where-as offensive skills are much harder to teach.

I will be very pleased if we get Martin but we need to make sure we get the best KPF with our next choice.

Stripes

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2009, 10:29:09 PM »

You're spot on MT. Absolutely happens.

But you can't predict the future and only draft on what is in front of view. Butcher has been in the system 2 years and has shown the highs and lows. Martin has shown all this year and shown plenty.

With Melbourne picking Scully and Trengrove our pol for pick 3 is:

Martin
Butcher
Cunnington
Moribito
Lucas

Can't see anyone else been taken ahead of all of that group..

We can't afford another Oakly Nicholls.

Butcher could flop and history suggests the Tiger faithful are inpatient, he's nervous in front fo goal and could get eaten up by the pressure of it all. 1.7 in a Grand Final suggest he isn't an Ice Man.

In fairness he's been over analyzed but there are no flaws in Martins game. He's teh best bet to hold the stigma of Number 3 pick.
Go Tigers!

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2009, 10:33:40 PM »
Martin has been my first selection for some time now. I actually rate him higher than Trengove based on his disposal skills, core strength (breaks tackles), poise in tight situations, ability to win his own ball and overhead ability. Based purely on the footage I have seen, the only pluses Trengove has on Martin is his leadership ability (Capt of SA) and defensive mindset. I have not seen any evidence that Martin does not have a defensive side to his game but can only go on what I have seen on the clips so if someone has seen either player in person please tell me otherwise.

Either way I believe the defensive/team-orientated elements will be drummed into all new recruits and existing players alike where-as offensive skills are much harder to teach.

I will be very pleased if we get Martin but we need to make sure we get the best KPF with our next choice.

Stripes

I agree Stripes.

Trengrove however will captain Melbourne in 6 years time, Martin wouldn't. Trengrove just oozes out leadership very very Ricciuto/Buckleyesk.

Martin is our man.

Deledio, Cotchin, Foley, Martin, Tambling, Collins and Jackson is our midfield that can deliver it to Humphrey B Bear for all I care. There is no point having greats like Matthew Richardson or Brendon Fevola up forward for 10 years if you have the likes of Clinton King, Tim Fleming and Jordan McMahon kicking balls into the forward 50..
Go Tigers!

Offline peggles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2009, 10:42:23 PM »
we are picking Martin based on his efforts at the Nathan Buckley inspired draft camp.

Ive seen the footage and yes he looks great but Butcher should be our go, which ive said from day one.

So many forwards have trouble kicking early but still come up with the goods when needed. Stuey Lowe was arguably the worst kick in the league and look how he changed his kicking around.

We are absolutely kidding ourselves if we think Jack R and Morton are going to do it on their own. We need another forward and fast.

we're not pickin martin based on his draft camp results.  it's the media's doing.  we already knew martin could play very well before draft camp.  his results were simply the icing on the cake.  even if he didn't do so well in the sprint, we would still be very high on him.  as for the kicking test, there was no doubthe woudl do well in that so it ain't a deciding factor.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2009, 02:25:17 AM »
Trengrove is my preference but Martin looks a solid if unspectacular choice.
Just hope we don't play it too safe and avoid missing a match winner.
Unfortunately given our recent poor recruiting efforts we'll go for the sure bet when someone like Morabito could be an absolute star.
Certainly won't scream if we take Martin though, looks like he can play at least.

Ramps

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2009, 05:00:34 AM »
Scully, Trengove and Martin should all be 200 game players. So whoever we get isnt a problem. One thing I like about Martin is that he is a bigger type midfielder and will complement our existing group really well. Our draft wont be made of who is our first pick. It will be determined by if we can trade out any players and get picks and who we pick in the 2nd and 3rd round as well as who we draft with the picks we get from other clubs for our traded out players.