Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 849983 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2009, 04:20:39 PM »
Uummmm Smokey, one obvious point in this discussion that has yet to be raised....How many umpires are on the field now compared to 30 years ago?? That surely must have some impact.I've been watching the game for almost 40 years and I remember Poor old Deller, Smith & co would always struggle to get into a good enough position to pay hands in the back. I recall it happening regularly but free kicks were just never paid.

Two field umpires were brought in during the 70's and the game was a hell of a lot slower back then.  They didn't miss them any more then than they do now - even the bush umpires in the leagues I played would get most of them right.   The whole 'hands in the back' scenario was different - players just didn't try it very often because it was like any other rule - if you put your hands in your opponents back for whatever reason you stood a good chance of giving away a free kick.  The players had the natural skills (developed because that was the rule and how the game was played) to use their bodies and timing - it was second nature.

Anyway, as Jake said......back to Dustin Martin.   :thumbsup

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2009, 08:12:38 PM »
Starting to like the sound of 'Aston' Martin.

:cheers

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2009, 12:15:00 AM »
 :)

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2009, 11:05:53 PM »
The fact that other clubs are showing a keen interest in him makes me hope more and more we get him. This kid seems a real keeper. :thumbsup

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2009, 11:33:53 PM »
he has class!

:)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2009, 11:41:14 PM »
Wouldn't it be funny if the Dee's rolled over and took Trengove & Martin????
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2009, 12:26:10 AM »
I could sleep at night with Tom Scully at Richmond

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2009, 12:50:44 AM »
I could sleep at night with Tom Scully at Richmond

i wouldn't sleep!

;)

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2009, 09:45:15 AM »
I was wondering whether Scully could slide out of the top 2 picks....
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2009, 11:21:41 PM »
This may make a few on here sleep a little easier over the next couple of months, i hear our recruiters really liked Martin even before Trengrove had the finals series he had. At least it makes me think that they have done their homework this year interms of young kids. I just hope they get the next few picks right.
We need a change of luck at Tigerland!!!!  :gotigers

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2009, 11:38:53 PM »
This may make a few on here sleep a little easier over the next couple of months, i hear our recruiters really liked Martin even before Trengrove had the finals series he had. At least it makes me think that they have done their homework this year interms of young kids. I just hope they get the next few picks right.

We do need a change of luck and hopefully the players coming in including Martin will add to the good luck factor. I have been in for Martin as soon as I thought Trengove would go to Melbourne at 1 or 2. Lets hope the Dees don't pull a swifty on us and take him (Martin) at 2. I also think Butcher will really slide, maybe even out of the top 10... IMO.

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2009, 12:14:02 AM »

We do need a change of luck and hopefully the players coming in including Martin will add to the good luck factor. I have been in for Martin as soon as I thought Trengove would go to Melbourne at 1 or 2. Lets hope the Dees don't pull a swifty on us and take him (Martin) at 2. I also think Butcher will really slide, maybe even out of the top 10... IMO.

Hopefully he slides to 19. :pray I get the feeling he'll slide too and the only team in the top 10 selections to pick him up may be the Swans who will be in need of a Key Forward(s).
I'm sure there won't be too many complaining about Martin and Butcher becoming Tigers. :thumbsup

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2009, 12:15:58 AM »

Hopefully he slides to 19. :pray I get the feeling he'll slide too and the only team in the top 10 selections to pick him up may be the Swans who will be in need of a Key Forward(s).
I'm sure there won't be too many complaining about Martin and Butcher becoming Tigers. :thumbsup

Butcher won't slip outside the 10.  And 19 is laughable for a kid with such talent.  No chance.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2009, 12:21:50 AM »
Deep down I know this TA hence I put a pray smiley at that stage of my post.
Me thinks he'll go to the Swans at pick 6, but it just makes me cringe that we could have got the extra pick had we not won meaningless games against Essendon and Melbourne and addressed a midfield gun with possibly another pick going to a Key Position. Would have given us so much more flexibility. :thumbsup

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2009, 12:23:15 AM »

You never know do you TB, the draft that yeilded us Deledio and Tambling was a surprise as we had Deledio and Roughead lined up as our first two picks, it was penned in from all accounts and look what happened.

You just never know... ;)

"Rucks: