Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 870792 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2009, 01:43:14 PM »
Top four draft picks seem set
afl.com.au
By Matt Burgan | Wed 04 November, 2009

THE TOP four of this year's NAB AFL Draft appears settled.

With just 22 days until the 24th AFL Draft, the names Tom Scully (Dandenong Stingrays), Jack Trengove (Sturt), Dustin Martin (Bendigo Pioneers) and Anthony Morabito (Peel Thunder) seem likely to fill the first four spots.

Melbourne has the first two picks, with Scully and Trengove almost certain to become Demons.

Although Scully firmed as the No.1 pick during the 2009 NAB AFL under-18 championships - and still remains the hot tip - the brilliant form of Trengove in this year's senior SANFL finals could see the South Australian shift from No.2 to No.1.

Regardless of who is No.1 and No.2, it will be a massive surprise if Scully and Trengove are not Demons by the conclusion of the meeting on Thursday November 26.

Richmond has the third pick, with Martin strongly linked to Punt Rd.

He has continued to rise up the pecking order throughout the year and this was only further enhanced with his outstanding efforts at the NAB AFL Draft Camp in late September/early October.

Rounding out the quarter is Morabito, the run-and-carry midfielder and versatile 190cm tall who has been likened to Sydney Swans star Adam Goodes.

Some recruiters believe the Western Australian has the qualities to be a No.1 draft pick, but his destination appears to be Fremantle.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86609/default.aspx

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #76 on: November 05, 2009, 11:59:05 AM »
Dustin Martin is already 86 kgs ?....is that correct or am I dreaming ?

That would make him one of our biggest midfielders already.

Im guessing he will go very close to playing Rd 1.
Unleash the tornado

Offline crannyvegas

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #77 on: November 05, 2009, 01:06:46 PM »
Dustin Martin is already 86 kgs ?....is that correct or am I dreaming ?

That would make him one of our biggest midfielders already.

Im guessing he will go very close to playing Rd 1.

afldraftinfo.com has him at 88kg

http://www.afldraftinfo.com/2009/10/dustin-martin-bendigo-pioneersvic.html
Height: 186cm
Weight: 88kg
Which is 2cm shorter and the same wt as Lids
I love the idea of a ready made footballer, not sure how accurate that is though.

Detka! Detka! Detka!

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #78 on: November 05, 2009, 01:16:45 PM »
Let's see how strong he is at AFL level. He has been used to playing against smaller midfielder opponents at junior level so he will take time to get used to the pace and strength needed for the level. Rich found it much easier to transition given he had already been playing against elite adults.

Regardless, I am impressed by both his size, recorded speed, skill level of both sides and furiousity at the contest. Looking forward to seeing him in action next year with Lids and a injury free Cotchin.  :thumbsup

Stripes

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #79 on: November 05, 2009, 02:35:39 PM »
The more this drags out the more I am hating it, I have this funny feeling that the Dee's are going to surprise everyone and take him at 2 after Trengove, just a feeling and I hope it does not come off. :pray
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #80 on: November 05, 2009, 02:54:44 PM »
The more this drags out the more I am hating it, I have this funny feeling that the Dee's are going to surprise everyone and take him at 2 after Trengove, just a feeling and I hope it does not come off. :pray
I too get that feeling WAT. To mind both Trengrove and Scully have a question mark over them -  Scully's knee and Trengrove has that dreaded 'go home once hes made a name for himself' factor, both of which must have at least crossed the minds of the Dees recruitment team.
I too hope we are wrong  :pray
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2009, 04:02:38 PM »
Stop worrying you too. Scully and Trengrove are a given for Melbourne due to their constant standout form over a long period. Trengove also has great leadership qualities. If Melbourne overlooked either the backlash if they continued to build on the form they have produced over the last couple of years would be significant. While Martin is very close he has not had the same opportunities to shine as Scully and Trengove has due to having to shoulder more of the responsibility in a weaker team - sounds like our young stars doesn't it!

All indicators are is that the decision has been made from Melbourne, us and Fremantle so I would be surprized (and a little annoyed) if it didn't pan out the way it is predicted.

There is very few surprizes now days with the early picks...

Stripes

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2009, 04:43:27 PM »
To WAT & Al ....just check out the site "demonland" and "demonology".To say they are getting orgasmic over the prospect of Scully & Trengrove is a massive under statement......They even have a Scully/Trengrove countdown clock.

I had a quick look and Its like they have never heard of Martin.

In the end does it really matter..... The top 3 are all guns.

Dont worry.....be happy.

Unleash the tornado

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2009, 06:11:36 PM »
Not something I'll be losing sleep over

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2009, 06:15:13 PM »

Dont worry.....be happy.

exactly. I would welcome scully with open arms in the unlikely event he slides.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #85 on: November 05, 2009, 06:18:49 PM »

Dont worry.....be happy.

exactly. I would welcome scully with open arms in the unlikely event he slides.
I think anyone would. Just the nature of his knee injury has to put a question over his long term durability.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #86 on: November 05, 2009, 09:19:00 PM »
I would be orgasmic with Martin.
I would be ecstatic with Trengove.
It will be terrific if we get Scully.
I can't be more specific.  :gotigers

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #87 on: November 05, 2009, 09:24:53 PM »
To WAT & Al ....just check out the site "demonland" and "demonology".To say they are getting orgasmic over the prospect of Scully & Trengrove is a massive under statement......They even have a Scully/Trengrove countdown clock.

I had a quick look and Its like they have never heard of Martin.

Dont worry.....be happy.

Tambling was as good as gone to the Hawks too and.........

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2009, 03:38:28 AM »
Now I am a little more worried........ I just wished the hell they would stop the Martin articles and pump up Scully and Trengove. :scream

Dustin Martin's born to play AFL
Mark Robinson From: Herald Sun November 07, 2009

DUSTIN Martin says he was born to play AFL. While some could assume the highly rated teen is arrogant, he's just a confident kid, writes Mark Robinson.

THERE'S a fine line between confidence, arrogance and reality, and Dustin Martin doesn't seem to be ruffled by any moniker.

The probable No. 3 pick - which points him at Richmond - is so immersed in what he wants and his self-belief, that his philosophy may well raise eyebrows even before he plays an AFL game.

This guy, who was named centre in the All Australian under-18 team, is young, brutally honest and a school leaver after Year 9, partly because his parents split and dad was living in Sydney.

He talks slowly and softly about his footy, bluntly about his life and when he tells you he believes he was born to play AFL, it's difficult not to tell him there is no such a thing.

Whatever generation we are up to, say hello to Gen Next.

"I reckon I was born to play AFL," he said.

Bit arrogant?

"I don't think I'm arrogant at all, like, it's just something I want. I want to play AFL, that's all I want to do.

"I just want it so bad. I don't care where I play, as a long as I get the opportunity."

He has spoken to 12 clubs, and not Melbourne, which doesn't surprise him.

He, like everyone, expects Tom Scully and Jack Trengove to go No. 1 and No. 2.

He has met Richmond twice, before and during the draft camp.

"I think they're pretty keen," he said.

"No one has said they'll take me yet. If it's Richmond, it will be awesome, over the moon."

If it is Richmond, the expectations on him - as they are on Trent Cotchin - will be, well, Richmond-like: Please, please, deliver.

He says he is not daunted. "They've got a lot of young players coming through, I reckon it would be unreal to help the club get up and going. If I get there, I'll work as hard as I can pre-season and get as fit as I can.

"And if I get really fit I reckon I'm a chance to play first game. I've got the ability, I just have to work on my fitness, get super-fit.

"I really want to do this. I'll just do my best and do what the coaches think; I'm not better than anyone else; I'll just work as hard as I can for the team."

Martin was born and bred in Castlemaine.

His dad Shane is a Maori who arrived in Australia when he was 21, and played at Harcourt and then Kangaroo Flat in the Bendigo league.

"He (Dad) wasn't any good at footy, and I don't think mum's (Kathy) played any sport," he said, wondering where the talent came from.

As for Martin's desire for the contest, which has wowed recruiters, that comes from the old man.

"When he 0used to play footy he reckons he was a real hard nut, he reckons he used to clean blokes up," he laughs.

"Everyone knew him as Kiwi. Apparently in his first game he kicked a goal for the opposition because he didn't know what he was doing."

While playing under-16s footy, Martin and Castlemaine High learnt they had irreconcilable differences, forcing dad to move him to Sydney.

"I was playing up at school. I didn't like school, so dad made me move up with him to pull me into line a little bit," he said.

"I just wasn't a fan of school. I hated it, but I regret it now, I wish I had stayed at school."

His future is footy and personal training, in which he has certificate three and is chasing certificate four.

At the draft camp, where clubs probe and poke players like laboratory rats, Martin expected questions about his schooling.

But not what Port Adelaide delivered.

"I think I was talking to Port Adelaide and they asked me about when I left school and stuff like that," he said.

"Sometimes I'm a little bit embarrassed to say I left that early, but, yeah, Port Adelaide asked me if I was dumb and I said no."

They used word dumb?

"Yeah."

Harsh?

"I don't mind."

In Sydney, he worked at dad's transport business and at his dad's girlfriend's sports apparel business, at the same time having a run with the Campbelltown Blues under-18s. He was rewarded with a senior game at the end of the season.

He returned to Victoria at the end of '07, played senior football for Castlemaine and the last four games for the Bendigo Pioneers in 2008, and most of this year with the Pioneers, where he was runner-up in the best-and-fairest.

Martin is an inside player who wins his own ball, is accomplished outside, loves to try to break tackles, was rated the second-best kick at the draft camp - with both feet - and was second with 2.89sec over 20m.

In other words, he is quick, tough, and uses the ball.

Someone close to him described him as Lenny Hayes with a touch more polish.

Hayes is 186cm and 85kg. Martin is 187cm and 87kg.

Martin also likes Joel Selwood, another Bendigo product.

"I like Lenny Hayes and Joel Selwood," he said.

"Joel is definitely similar to the way I want to play, just the way he wins the footy, gets it out, gets it again, his decision-making and vision, and without the footy he's really good."

For Bendigo, Martin averaged 24.7 touches (9.7 contested) and 115 SuperCoach points in 11 games.

For Vic Country in the under-18 championships, his numbers slightly dropped to 21.4 (7.2) and 111 points in five games.

At Bendigo, he was ranked No. 1 in disposals, contested possessions, clearances, inside 50s and score assists.

In the final under-18 match of the national championships, against Western Australia, the whole football industry watched Martin gather 28 touches, five clearances and an astonishing 193 SuperCoach points.

His All Australian selection didn't explode his head.

"I wasn't, `Oh my God, I'm centre for the All Australian'. I just got on with playing footy," he said.

It's the same when peers tell him he's going to Richmond.

"I hear that all the time, but anything can happen on draft day," he said.

Still, he thinks he will be a Tiger. But when football is your gateway to life, even the very confident can get very vulnerable.

"I'm scared of not getting drafted," he said.

"When I'm lying down in bed, I think, `it would be just so s--- if I didn't get drafted'."

He need not worry.

PROFILE:

DUSTIN MARTIN

Height: 187cm

Weight: 87kg

Position: Midfielder

Lives: Bendigo

Club: Bendigo Pioneers

Bloodlines: Father is from New Zealand, and only played low-level Australian football.

Draft Camp: Second in kicking accuracy and in the 20m sprint (2.89s).

Injury watch: Nothing of note.

The mail: Strong, hard-at-it competitor, highly skilled left and right, and can run. Will go at No.3 to the Tigers.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/tiger-tough/story-e6frf9jf-1225795211997
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 05:15:14 AM by one-eyed »

"Rucks:

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #89 on: November 07, 2009, 08:15:15 AM »
Now I am a little more worried........ I just wished the hell they would stop the Martin articles and pump up Scully and Trengove. :scream

He has spoken to 12 clubs, and not Melbourne

He need not worry.