Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 850495 times)

Ramps

Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #105 on: November 07, 2009, 06:17:24 PM »
going down the midfield draft track again spells doom for Tigerland  :banghead
we need KPP to build around in the forward line

Ive got a smokey and I will detail in the phantom draft at about pick 67.

Offline elliot

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #106 on: November 07, 2009, 06:28:08 PM »
If Martin was runner up B&F for the Pioneers, who won?

Bendigo Pioneers
Best and fairest: Kallen Geary.
Runner-up best and fairest: Dustin Martin.

I know martin missed Pioneer games to play for VC but I'm unsure if Geary played for VC also.

I think he did.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #107 on: November 07, 2009, 06:30:33 PM »

we'd be damn fools to overlook this kid for the likes of Butcher, we will snare a player of his ilk with No 19 as in Temil et al
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Tigermonk

« Reply #108 on: November 07, 2009, 11:39:47 PM »

we'd be damn fools to overlook this kid for the likes of Butcher, we will snare a player of his ilk with No 19 as in Temil et al

lol there be no body left at pick 19

Midfielders are key figures in every single draft but tall skilled KPP are far & few.  Its no good having a super midfield with a dud forward line you win more woodens spoons than play finals footy  ;D  :lol Thats Richmond 100%  :rollin

Rewoldt is a dudley softy & Richo is a broken mule who gets more injections than the doctor carries in his medical kit
Morton is a one action footballer everytime he gets the ball. They will stop him next season & he dont follow team rules anyway thats why he got dropped.
We have continued to fail in a forward line for decades & have had no success.  Its common knowledge to build teams around your forwards. Look at Hawthorn, Brisbane. Essendon
To win games you must plan to attack with strength. Not build your side from the backline. Only a coach with no knowledge like Terry Wallace defends from the first bounce & continues to defend & push back when his losing  :rollin  ;D And to top it off the Richmond players kick it scared at every option coming out of the backline & midfield :lol
Good forwards builds team confidence,  why is Richmond so backwards in understanding that.

Deledio how he won the best & fairest this year is the biggest joke of the year. His form half the year was below standard
His playing well below his level as are many other midfielders. To have a old player like Cousins who missed several years of football & destroyed his health & is injury riddled to be the most dominating midfielder & shows extreme class Richmond has  is the biggest blight on the club as players like Deledio should be doing twice his workload & dominating.
All those midfielders apart from Cousins need a wake up call & need to be pushed alot harder

getting rid of Patto will bite us as l said for years now Hawthorn have always wanted him & will get him. It will be another player who will show he had plenty of talent

If anyone dont thinks a team is not created around the forward KP's then go figure.

For years we have had no players figure in the goalkicking.
For years we have kicked low scores
For years we have had low percentages
For years the games we have won are mostly won by just getting over the line 
For years we have had Richo let the team down who cant kick a straight goal at the most important moment
For years the Richmond supporters have seen the same poo over & over & over & its got to stop

For the sake of the Tiger skin HARDWICK draft some KPP's that play Ruck & Forward Connerly & Butcher are indurance ruckmen / forwards who can play today modern game

One thing l will say that Martin is a very powerful & smart midfielder who can go straight into a AFL side with his size & skill.
no doubt he would be a great asset in our midfield but who are the players going to kick the goals remembering Nathan Brown was a major player in setting up goals.
And we need a very mobile atheletic ruckmen

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #109 on: November 08, 2009, 12:06:39 AM »
Monk, a question, Where does Geelong's strength lay, midfield or forwards? Three grand final appearances for two flags. Straight kicking could have been three....And their dominating match winning KPFs are...?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #110 on: November 08, 2009, 11:15:54 AM »
I have to disagree with you TM.  You can have all the best power forwards you want but if you can't get it to them then they can't kick them.  Hawthorn this year is a prime example.  Franklin, Roughead and Rioli were not dominant and the premier team couldn't even make the eight because their midfield got decimated by injuries and form.  And as al said - Geelong have won 2 out of 3 grand finals with an average forward line but a Rolls Royce midfield.  It's no coincidence.  Of course, we shouldn't neglect the need for key forwards but I don't think we should prioritise them over quality mids until we have got a top line midfield on it's way.  Deledio, Cotchin, Tambling, Martin, Collins, Foley, Jackson - yep, we're on the way but not there yet.

Tigermonk

« Reply #111 on: November 08, 2009, 11:56:29 AM »
Monk, a question, Where does Geelong's strength lay, midfield or forwards? Three grand final appearances for two flags. Straight kicking could have been three....And their dominating match winning KPFs are...?

Geelong has strength all throughout thier side which was built by dedicated young players who play team football & shared the same hunger over the hard times.
They are committed all over the ground & have standout players because they do the extra hard work

The club made the correct decisions & drafted the players they lacked in & have staff just as dedicated to their jobs. Note Duncan Kellaway working for them cause Richmond shafted the Kellaways & showed them no respect like they did to others from the club which has clearly affected them over many years.

Bombers Thompson head was on the chopping block but they persisted & got the method right & were rewarded with 3 GF's & 2 flags so thats a terrific return.
They are still favorites for next season & thier home ground plays a huge advantage because even a undermaned Geelong side is feared there & in bad conditions thier forwards know how to kick the goals

So they have thier own stadium they call HOME (Collingwood gets more MCG games than us  :lol) & Geelong have thier own VFL side which makes a whole lot of difference & its hard to break into thier side.
The players who step up get the job done & know what the other players want from them because they are a list of 40+ players not 2 devided teams in different leagues

Hawthorn won a premiership because they built thier team around 2 forwards which gives the midfielders a rest when they are doing thier job winning the ball & kicking goals
It also gives the midfielders that extra energy to defend when needed & get back to help bring the ball out of defence & link it through the midfield

One other thing l like to note & l dont know how many times in Richo career l seen this,  but his leads were never honored & the team lacked confidence to kick it to him in 1 on 1 contests. Richo is one of the strongest bodied players & hard to outmark at anytime. When players dont play as a team it gives players like Richo more time to think of the negatives & thats why it stands out in him so much. That effects the overall team performance & creates conflict.

While all these was going on our CHF is in the centre of the ground caught out to far down the field instead of pushing forward to cover the FF including all the small forwards nowhere near goal

if you go to the game you will see Richo clearly way out front 1 kick off the play by himself because his lost his defender through his shear pace & ability but you watch a replay of the same game on tv & you will never see his true workrate & you think he never left the goal square cause his sprinted back to the square & is spent

l can clearly say from all the football l have been involved with & watched l have never seen a club so badly coached as under Terry Wallace

& one of the biggest factors of under devopedment of the  players at Richmond is thier lack of awareness on the ground.

Let me down there to coach them  ;D these are the basics of the game.

Tigermonk

« Reply #112 on: November 08, 2009, 12:02:26 PM »
I have to disagree with you TM.  You can have all the best power forwards you want but if you can't get it to them then they can't kick them.  Hawthorn this year is a prime example.  Franklin, Roughead and Rioli were not dominant and the premier team couldn't even make the eight because their midfield got decimated by injuries and form.  And as al said - Geelong have won 2 out of 3 grand finals with an average forward line but a Rolls Royce midfield.  It's no coincidence.  Of course, we shouldn't neglect the need for key forwards but I don't think we should prioritise them over quality mids until we have got a top line midfield on it's way.  Deledio, Cotchin, Tambling, Martin, Collins, Foley, Jackson - yep, we're on the way but not there yet.

my reply above Old Smokey was to Al
you will understand more my way of thinking after you read my post. ? for you do you really think Foley is a dominate midfielder or just a player that is covering a position till its taken by a fit Cotchin

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #113 on: November 08, 2009, 12:40:08 PM »

my reply above Old Smokey was to Al
you will understand more my way of thinking after you read my post. ? for you do you really think Foley is a dominate midfielder or just a player that is covering a position till its taken by a fit Cotchin

Yep, a lot of what you say is spot on TM - I just think that the midfield is the priority to get right first.  And re: Foley, I think he is a very good midfielder but in the past couple of years he has been one of the few and has carried some injuries (from overwork is my considered guess).  Put him in the midfield with Deledio, Cotchin, Collins, Tambling and Martin all firing and suddenly most opposition sides will struggle to match up on all these - that's when I think Foley will really stand out.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #114 on: November 08, 2009, 01:23:23 PM »
a simple review of last couple of seasons stats would highlight that we regularly concede more I50 to the oppostion...errr, ummm me finks that may have a bit to do with the ability of the midfield unit. Fuuny how this boofheaded view on KPP over Mids has been thwarted by a side that has won 2 flags in 3 years with, wiat for it...Mooney as the mainstay forward.

Monk, pull your head from your ample size clacker and be a little more objectiove when it comes to buildign a side. First things first is establishing the supply line...Cats and before that WC were great examples of a dominant midfield winning the day

read the same for regualr finalsists in Dogs and Pies

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #115 on: November 08, 2009, 03:48:11 PM »
One other thing l like to note & l dont know how many times in Richo career l seen this,  but his leads were never honored & the team lacked confidence to kick it to him in 1 on 1 contests
This a good point monk. The Richmond midfielders often dont seem to have the confidence in their disposal to honor a lead, not just Richo's. Many times you see a player leader up the ground with a small break on their direct opponent but the onballers don't honor the lead, They seem to not have the confidence they can place the ball to advantage, or just don't know how to kick to advantage of a leading player. Watching the sides with good midfields, if they see a forward with a small break on their opponent the honor the lead quickly and often accurately, giving the back men little chance of spoiling.

The thing is this highlights the point about needing quality midfields. How many times did lockett kick a hundred in a crap side. He was so good all the midfielders had to do was kick it in his direction and he would do the rest. An ordinary midfield and a champion forward = how many finals for how many flags for the saints in that time? Not many for FA
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Tigermonk

« Reply #116 on: November 10, 2009, 09:43:55 PM »
a simple review of last couple of seasons stats would highlight that we regularly concede more I50 to the oppostion...errr, ummm me finks that may have a bit to do with the ability of the midfield unit. Fuuny how this boofheaded view on KPP over Mids has been thwarted by a side that has won 2 flags in 3 years with, wiat for it...Mooney as the mainstay forward.

Monk, pull your head from your ample size clacker and be a little more objectiove when it comes to buildign a side. First things first is establishing the supply line...Cats and before that WC were great examples of a dominant midfield winning the day

l like it when you get all fired up & call me names  ;D  :lol
if you prefer mids then so be it thats your opinion go play with your mids bojangles  ;D

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #117 on: November 10, 2009, 09:57:01 PM »

l like it when you get all fired up & call me names  ;D  :lol
if you prefer mids then so be it thats your opinion go play with your mids bojangles  ;D

i didn't call you names monk, i was using a metaphor to describe your blinkered approach that would improve by being a little more objective... :thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #118 on: November 11, 2009, 03:00:59 AM »
Draft at the end of a footy dream
Emma Quayle | November 11, 2009

DUSTIN Martin was born in Castlemaine, and grew up there. He moved to Bendigo at the start of this year and in two-and-a-bit weeks will be drafted from the TAC Cup's Pioneers. In time, he may become the best player produced by the AFL's New South Wales scholarship scheme.

How can this possibly be so? Let's go back a little bit. Martin has always loved football. As a kid, the first thing he did when he woke up each morning was reach for the ball beside his bed. For as long as he can remember, the thing he most wanted to do was play for an AFL team.

Problem was, it was all he wanted to do.

During 2006, Martin started skipping his year-nine classes. Then he started skipping full days. When he did go to school, he couldn't maintain any interest in it, spending most of his time mucking around, not listening and driving teachers mad. ''I was never really, really bad or anything. I was just stuffing around all the time, being a real idiot,'' he said.

''I probably wish I'd stayed at school now, but at the time I didn't really like it and I was never going. I was playing up a bit so I just left, and my dad kind of cracked it at me.''

Martin's father, Shane, who lives in Sydney, couldn't be too hard on his teenage son. ''I couldn't tell him off too much,'' he said, ''because I was exactly the same.''

Still, the last thing he wanted was for Dustin to sit around, doing nothing with his time except wasting it.

He moved him up and put him to work: Dustin helped out at his dad's transport company, working on the computer, loading up trucks and driving forklifts. He worked with Shane's partner too: she created and sold gym wear, so he'd help her make it, worked in a couple of her shops and helped her try to sell it to gyms.

By the end of the year, he was focused again. ''He was a lot more motivated, and I had him working hard,'' Shane said. ''I had him working 12 or 13 hour days so he did it pretty tough and he really took to it. I told him, don't think you're coming up here to sit on your backside, and by the time he went back, he'd grown up a whole lot.''

Martin's football found some direction in Sydney too. He had played for the Pioneers' under-15 squad before moving home, and played pretty well. In Sydney he started playing for a local under-16 team but after dominating the first four games he moved to Campbelltown's under-18 team, and into a more challenging competition.

There, he met Ryan Bottin-Noonan, who had signed a NSW scholarship with the Swans and was getting to spend some time training with the team. Martin met a few other boys who had scholarships, decided he wanted one too and then realised he wasn't eligible: he would have to live in Sydney for three years first.

Still, the thought that those boys were so close to an AFL team made him realise there was no reason he couldn't get there too.

''It sort of made me think it was right there to grab,'' he said.

''I'd always wanted it, but I'd never really chased it. It made me think, I've got to go back and get serious about this whole thing now. It made me really want it.''

Martin was back in Castlemaine with his mother Kathy and two brothers by Christmas 2007 and after training all summer with the Castlemaine senior team - planning all the while to make the Bendigo side, believing that he could - he started in the middle.

Every week or two he'd check in with coach Jamie Elliott: had the Pioneers called yet?

He didn't need to worry. During pre-season, regional manager Ray Byrne heard Martin was back in town, but he wanted to let him settle back down before calling him up.

After his round-one game at Castlemaine the Pioneers thought they wanted him back in the program; four weeks in, they knew they did.

Martin started training there midway through the year, and Byrne knew from his first session that the Pioneers had a very good player on their hands. ''His fitness was amazing considering he hadn't been in the system at all,'' he said. ''His skills were great. He picked everything up, took everything in. He just looked like a natural-born footballer.''

Then came the last twist. Martin started playing for the Pioneers with a month left in the season, and not too many recruiters still watching his side, which didn't produce any draftees.

He dominated the first match, was just as good in the second and while hanging out at a friend's place during the next week, his phone rang.

On the line was Kinnear Beatson, the Sydney recruiting manager who, having been told about Martin, had watched the first quarter of his second game thinking he may just have unearthed a very promising - and unknown - late draft pick. Then he looked at his record, and realised the teenager had been born two months too late to qualify for the draft.

Beatson phoned him to find out for sure - and also to check how long he'd lived in Sydney, with a scholarship in mind.

It was a near miss on both fronts and the thought that a recruiter had actually noticed him both stunned Martin and gave him confidence.

''I couldn't even remember what he said,'' he recalled. ''I just got off the phone and looked at my friend and said: 'What the hell?' ''

Playing that last month gave Martin a better understanding of what he would be in for this year, too. He was a Pioneer star the second the season started and by the end of the under-18 championships mid-year, most recruiters were in love with his neat two-sided skills and his attack on the ball, among other things.

As his season - TAC Cup football, state football and an invitation to the draft camp - unfolded, all he kept thinking was, ''do as well as you can''.

''It was all pretty new to me,'' Martin said, ''but I just wanted to get as high up as I could with everything. When Ray sat me down and said, 'you've been invited to the draft camp,' it felt like it had happened so quickly.''

Martin boarded with a teammate in Bendigo this year; having already completed a certificate three in personal training he began working for an electrician friend of his father's.

''It's bloody complicated stuff,'' he said. ''But it's been good. I reckon I've learned some new skills.''

Since the season ended he has been running, going to the gym, trying to keep his mind off the thing he wants so badly and making sure that when he walks through his new club's door, he won't have too much catching up to do.

More than anything, he is glad he moved back home.

''I've changed since that time in Sydney, I reckon.

''I made myself go for it, and so far it's worked out pretty well.''

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/draft-at-the-end-of-a-footy-dream/2009/11/10/1257615039723.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #119 on: November 11, 2009, 05:54:01 AM »
I like the fact that this kid has had experience in the work place! It adds maturity to young people,  imo, that will be invaluable to the AFL fishbowl!