Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 870832 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #150 on: November 18, 2009, 02:11:21 PM »

.....at least half of those 180cm or shorter will be cut.

That's not really fair MT - as if they aren't short enough already!!   ;D
;D. Reminds me of a Goodies episode lol

On Con's question - I've only seen Morabito a couple of times so can't really rate him but he didn't do anything that I saw that me go wow this guy is a gun! He played just like a typical flanker. To me the choice was between going with a true KPP such as Butcher or a quality true ballwinner/midfielder. Martin seems to fit the latter. In any case we should end up with a quality footballer at pick 3. The true test for Cameron and Jackson will be our next 3-4 picks. Who we choose with picks 19, 35, 44 and 51 will determine how successful this year's draft will be for us.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Tigermonk

« Reply #151 on: November 18, 2009, 02:12:08 PM »
Goodness gracious me.

I think everyone would benefit from just posting on topics they know a little bit about rather than ranting and pretending they are Einsteins.

Development - The word revolves around time. Time is categorically related to age. You can't be developed over night. Champions aren't born in a day.

Each human body and brain evolves differently to its neighbor scientific fact. So to pigeon whole an age to say a player must be this good by this age is naive and dumb.

In any sport athletes gain experience in different ways, it can be fast tracked or slowed down by many reasons, most out of the athletes control. Experience has nothing to do with age but simply "time in the middle", "time on the ground" etc.

Development and gaining experience are the two underlying factors of an athletes career without them they can't be anything.

Everyone would agree that it takes time to acquire these attributes.

Any player under 21 even 22 can't even begin to be expected to have reached the potential of these key attributes. You'd be a fool to think otherwise.

OK Einstein so why did you post then if everyone is so called ranting off topic  :lol  :rollin

Tigermonk

« Reply #152 on: November 18, 2009, 02:17:06 PM »
On Con's question - I've only seen Morabito a couple of times so can't really rate him but he didn't do anything that I saw that me go wow this guy is a gun! He played just like a typical flanker. To me the choice was between going with a true KPP such as Butcher or a quality true ballwinner/midfielder. Martin seems to fit the latter. In any case we should end up with a quality footballer at pick 3. The true test for Cameron and Jackson will be our next 3-4 picks. Who we choose with picks 19, 35, 44 and 51 will determine how successful this year's draft will be for us.

Now your talking
& so right #3 pick will give us a player of top quality youth be it mid or KPP
the picks after that in this years draft are so huge that the club relys on them to be 7 - 10 year players of good standard

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #153 on: November 18, 2009, 05:49:14 PM »
back to Dustin Martin...would you if you were FJ or CC call out his name or Morabito's name on draft day?

Morabito is slightly taller - bigger body too....

(Not that I am upset with Martin, from the video package and draft camp results he looks the real deal...skilled on both feet, fast etc)

Morabito does not kick well.

Martin kicks v well.

Con65

« Reply #154 on: November 18, 2009, 05:58:42 PM »
thanks to those that answered my question...esp Bentleigh...yes he does kick very well in the vids

i also agree that we need to find at least 2 more 150 gamers in the lower picks at least...4 more players would be even better...but i would settle for 2 more plus Martin...

the chances of us doing a geelong of 99 and 01 are remote...but you never know...at least we did not trade away picks this year like we have in past years....

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #155 on: November 19, 2009, 12:02:13 AM »
thanks to those that answered my question...esp Bentleigh...yes he does kick very well in the vids

i also agree that we need to find at least 2 more 150 gamers in the lower picks at least...4 more players would be even better...but i would settle for 2 more plus Martin...

the chances of us doing a geelong of 99 and 01 are remote...but you never know...at least we did not trade away picks this year like we have in past years....
It will be difficult given we only have 2 picks inside the top 30 in a compromised draft but I agree Con finding three 150-game players would be a bare minimum for this draft to get a pass mark and for us to build a strong team in the future. We've got to hope FJ and his crew can find some hidden gems across the ND, PSD and rookie drafts :pray.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #156 on: November 22, 2009, 03:57:59 AM »
RUNNING MAN
Jay Clark From: Sunday Herald Sun November 22, 2009

Dustin Martin

Bendigo Pioneers

Handball receives:10.8 pg (11)

Clean-skilled ball-winner who is an undisputed midfield weapon. One of the biggest improvers this year, Martin has the body strength to bust packs and the pace to break the lines with his run and carry.

Like some of the most damaging players in the AFL, teammates look to handpass to the attacking playmaker to make the most of his excellent disposal by foot and sound decision-making.

But the dual-sided midfielder won't rely on others to give him the ball, as he showed enormous appetite for the contest averaging 21 possessions throughout the national championships.

Similar to Ben Cunnington in his attack in tight, with perhaps a bit more speed, mobility and penetration by foot what separates them.

Who's he like? Marc Murphy with a touch of Simon Black-like polish.

Draft range: Richmond has locked him away with No. 3.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/the-master-apprentices-of-the-afl/story-e6frf9jf-1225801664134

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #157 on: November 25, 2009, 02:29:52 AM »
Picks of the draft: Dustin Martin
Emma Quayle | November 24, 2009

FROM: Bendigo Pioneers, via the Castlemaine juniors. Martin spent 2007 in Sydney, playing for Campbelltown.

THE NUMBERS: Born 26 June, 1991. 186cm, 88kg.

THE LOWDOWN: Martin is a strong-bodied, strong-minded midfielder who keeps his feet, can slip tackles, kick with both feet and go forward to take a mark. He's among the best kicks in the draft and if there's a scrap for the ball you'd want him on your side. During the national championships, he played particularly well at the start of the first game and the start of the last one, suggesting his endurance needs work - and he's been working on it - but that he also has a cool head in big situations. Martin has an honest, straightforward nature, and it comes through in his footy.

RUNNING AND JUMPING: Martin did a 2.89 20-metre sprint at draft camp. He did the first five metres in 1.02 seconds, showing off a burst some weren't sure he had. He did a 14.1 beep test and a mid-group three-kilometre time of 11.05.

WHO NEEDS HIM: Martin would be the ideal addition to the Richmond midfield, and that's where he looks like ending up. If not, he'll be on his way to Fremantle or snapped up by North Melbourne. He's simply one of the more highly sought-after players in the draft.

IRRELEVANT YET INTERESTING FACT: Martin has a Maori background. His father Shane grew up in New Zealand.

WHO WOULD PLAY HIM IN A MOVIE? Bryan Brown. Solid, tough type who can provide finesse when required.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/picks-of-the-draft-dustin-martin/2009/11/23/1258824670433.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #158 on: November 25, 2009, 03:06:16 AM »
No surprise but Ch 9's late news last night declared Dustin Martin will definitely be a Tiger on Thursday night.

Offline peggles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #159 on: November 25, 2009, 07:21:10 AM »
No surprise but Ch 9's late news last night declared Dustin Martin will definitely be a Tiger on Thursday night.

cool

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #160 on: November 26, 2009, 03:33:12 PM »
IT'S D-DAY FOR DUSTIN
LUKE WEST
26 Nov, 2009

FOR as long as he can remember, all Dustin Martin has wanted to do is play AFL football.

From the time he first pulled on the guernsey for the Campbells Creek Junior Football Club in the under-10s, to this year with the Bendigo Pioneers in the TAC Cup, that dream has never wavered.

Tonight, Martin’s dream of making an AFL list is set to become a reality at the national draft.

And according to all the pre-draft speculation of the past month, it seems a given the club Martin will join is Richmond, with the Tigers expected to take the highly-talented midfielder with pick No.3.

For Martin, tonight can’t come around quick enough.

He has garnered enormous media attention in the metropolitan papers in recent weeks with interviews and photo shoots, but all the quietly-spoken 18-year-old wants to do now is just get out on the training track at wherever it is he is selected and let his football do the talking.

“Footy is my life; I just love it and it’s all I’ve ever wanted to do,’’ Martin told The Advertiser yesterday.

“And when you get to the AFL, that’s what footy is - it becomes your life by training every day, and that’s the way I want to live.

“I can’t wait and hopefully, I’ll get an opportunity.’’

Barring any major surprise, Richmond will tonight be Martin’s AFL club, with the Tigers poised to pick him after Melbourne uses its No.1 and 2 selections on Tom Scully and Jack Trengrove, who, like Martin, have become the faces in the draft lead-up.

“It hasn’t been too bad; it doesn’t bother me too much,’’ Martin answered when asked how he has handled all the media hype that has surrounded him in the past month.

“You just do what you’ve got to do. I don’t get a big head or anything like that, I just keep going about my business.

“Hopefully, I can get picked up and then the hard work will all really begin.

“I’ve got a long way to go and just can’t wait to, hopefully, get an opportunity and work as hard as I can.’’

The Martin story has been well documented by several pre-draft profile stories in the past month.

As a teenager growing up in Castlemaine, school and he never agreed, so in 2007 Martin moved to Sydney and worked for his dad, Shane, while also playing with the Campbelltown Blues under-18 side.

After a year in Sydney, Martin returned to Castlemaine, where in 2008 he lined up for the Magpies’ senior team in the Bendigo Football League, and took the competition by storm with his speed, penetrating kicking and ability to bust packs open with his fierce attack on the contest.

“Playing that year with Castlemaine against a lot of bigger bodies was really good for me in getting used to the tougher contested ball,’’ said Martin, who has been managed by Ricky Nixon’s Flying Start since the start of the year.

“I had a lot of good teammates that year, a good coach (Jamie Elliott), and playing that year of senior footy was a really good grounding.’’

It was an ordinary season for Castlemaine, with the Magpies winning just five of 16 games, but Martin was the clear shining light.

Despite missing the last two games when finally called up to the Pioneers, Martin won the Magpies’ goalkicking with 22 - of which 11 came in his final two games against Kyneton and eventual grand finalist Golden Square - and was a hands-down winner of the league’s CVGT-backed Rising Star award.

One of the obvious attributes from his first senior game for the Magpies in 2008 against Gisborne at Camp Reserve - a match in which Ron Barassi was in the crowd - was Martin’s confidence to take the game on and play with flair.

Such was the impact Martin was having at Castlemaine early in his debut senior season, coach Jamie Elliott knew he had something special on his hands, to the point where he contacted one of his former clubs, St Kilda, but received no response.

“As a club we felt we needed to be pushing the kid to where he should be, because you knew at that early stage he was pretty special, but he was too young to be drafted in 2008,’’ Elliott said.

“He’s just a powerful, powerful kid; I used to do one-on-ones with him as a 16-year-old and he would just push me off the ball.

“I thought he could have played senior AFL football this year as a 17-year-old, no doubt.

“I’ve never seen a kid run into a pack of six or seven men and come out backwards with the ball . . . it’s not as though he was running through the pack, he would run in like a bull, grab the footy and run out backwards.

“There’s no doubt he’s the best kid I’ve seen play at that age; he’s just a phenomenal talent.’’

After playing the last four games for the Pioneers in 2008, Martin - a St Kilda supporter who works as a labourer for Luke Arnott Electrical - was one of the side’s stars this year.

In 11 matches he averaged 24.6 disposals, 4.0 marks and 3.0 tackles per game playing as a midfielder changing deep forward.

“I was just happy to come into the Pioneers team late in 2008, and to have those four games was a really good experience to get a bit of an insight into what it was all about,’’ Martin said.

“That helped me prepare for this year.’’

But it was at this year’s under-18 national championships in June and July where Martin’s talents were truly on display when he averaged 21.4 possessions per game representing Victoria Country.

Martin’s fine carnival was capped by being named in the centre in the All-Australian team as he further enhanced his growing reputation as one of the country’s hottest young prospects.

“You never got an easy possession, but it was just good to get out and play against and with players of that quality,’’ Martin said.

“It can only make you a better player.’’

Among those who selected Martin in the All-Australian team was AFL national talent identification manager Kevin Sheehan.

“Dustin has this enormous potential because he arrived on the scene really late last year, and even then looked to be a young star in his four games for the Pioneers,’’ Sheehan said.

“But this year, right from the start people were talking a first-round draft choice when he was showing some of the attributes of a guy who used to play in the midfield for Bendigo a few years earlier in Joel Selwood.

“His attack on the footy is just outstanding and he has elite speed for a guy who stands at 186cm.

“He was the second-quickest over 20m at the draft camp with 2.89 seconds, and you can see that in the way he plays with the way he just bursts through the midfield.

“It’s hard to lay a hand on him and tackle him; he’s just a powerful inside midfielder and thumping kick on his right and left foot.

“Really, all the boxes have been ticked with his elite speed, he is prepared to work, has a real motor for endurance, and he played well in the big games for Victoria Country.

“He’s an unassuming guy who really does just want to get out there and play the game.

“He seems destined to make a real success of it.’’

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/news/local/sport/football-australian-rules/its-dday-for-dustin/1687997.aspx?storypage=0

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #161 on: November 26, 2009, 06:47:17 PM »
“Footy is my life; I just love it and it’s all I’ve ever wanted to do,’’ Martin told The Advertiser yesterday.

“And when you get to the AFL, that’s what footy is - it becomes your life by training every day, and that’s the way I want to live.

“I can’t wait and hopefully, I’ll get an opportunity.’’

Barring any major surprise, Richmond will tonight be Martin’s AFL club, with the Tigers poised to pick him after Melbourne uses its No.1 and 2 selections on Tom Scully and Jack Trengrove, who, like Martin, have become the faces in the draft lead-up.

“It hasn’t been too bad; it doesn’t bother me too much,’’ Martin answered when asked how he has handled all the media hype that has surrounded him in the past month.

“You just do what you’ve got to do. I don’t get a big head or anything like that, I just keep going about my business.

“Hopefully, I can get picked up and then the hard work will all really begin.

“I’ve got a long way to go and just can’t wait to, hopefully, get an opportunity and work as hard as I can.’’

The bold bit is pleasing to hear. You want to hear that they understand that being drafted is only a entry point and the real work only starts after that.

It's official. Welcome to Tigerland Dustin  :cheers  :thumbsup  :clapping

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #162 on: November 26, 2009, 08:29:54 PM »
2009 National Draft - Dustin Martin (pick 3)

Dustin Martin highlights: http://bigpondvideo.com/AFL/226059

DOB: 26/06/91
Height: 186cm
Weight: 87.5kg
Club: Bendigo Pioneers, TAC Cup

What the recruiters say:

Dustin is a powerfully built midfielder with exceptional kicking abilities. He has great depth in his kicking, allowing him to break lines and zones through the middle of the ground. He plays his football with a physical, robust approach to the contest and is a highly motivated individual.

Dustin is originally from NSW and played football in 2008 with Castlemaine while also representing the Pioneers in three games.

This year Dustin played 11 games with the Pioneers, averaging 25 possessions per game - 10 of those contested - and appearing in the best players five times. He began impressively in round 1 against the Geelong Falcons, where he recorded 34 possessions, 10 tackles, seven clearances and two goals. He was rewarded for an impressive year by being named in the centre in the TAC Cup Team of the Year.

Dustin also represented the Victorian Country side at the NAB National U18 Championships where he averaged 21 possessions. He finished the carnival strongly with a 28 possession game against the championship winners Western Australia. He was again rewarded for an outstanding carnival by being named in the centre for the U18 All-Australian team.

At the AFL draft camp at the AIS in Canberra, Dustin recorded the second-faster time over the 20m sprint of 2.89 sec, while also reaching an excellent score of 14.0 on the endurance based “beep test”.

The club is genuinely excited about the prospect of Dustin joining the midfield group of Deledio, Cotchin, Cousins and co in the near future. He has a strong body which will be able to cope with the rigorous demands of an AFL environment and the skills to impact quickly.

Dustin Martin in his own words:

What type of player are you?
A centre, who is a good clearance player. Can run and carry, can play both ends and set up attacks.

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble, and why?
Joel Selwood. Good around contests, good skill level and decision-making.

What are your strengths as a footballer?
Strength, skills, ability to read the play and decision-making.

What parts of your game would you like to improve?
Fitness.

Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?
St Kilda. I’ve known Rod Keogh from when I was young.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far, and why?
Myself.  Because I want the best out of myself.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/Season2010/2009NationalDraft/DustinMartin/tabid/15501/Default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #163 on: November 26, 2009, 09:35:38 PM »
Dusty said we told him we were taking him two days ago......

Tigers get their man
richmondfc.com.au
By Tony Greenberg | Thu 26 November, 2009

Dustin Martin, a powerfully-built, attacking midfielder, with superb kicking skills, was taken by Richmond with its first selection (pick 3 overall) in the 2009 AFL National Draft.

The 18-year-old from Castlemaine had been earmarked by the Tigers as their No. 1 Draft choice for quite some time.

Tiger talent scouts were super-impressed with Martin’s all-round football ability, strength of character and maturity.

“Dustin has been on our radar since last year.  He is a special talent and we have tracked him closely,” said Richmond’s Recruitment Manager Francis Jackson.

“We knew last year that he would go top five in the Draft.  He has improved even further over the past year and had a stellar performance at the under-18s national carnival, which culminated in him being named in the All-Australian side (in the centre).”

Martin, who played for Bendigo Pioneers in the TAC Cup this year, not only has an abundance of natural football ability, he is highly motivated to succeed at the game’s highest level.

“He is unbelievably football focused,” Jackson said.

“Despite leaving school early, he has had terrific life experiences and is a very hard worker.

“He is a nice country kid, very humble, but has a fanatical desire to be the best he can.

“When we told him we were taking him at pick three, he wanted to come to training on Friday and he was gutted to find out the players had the day off and wouldn’t be resuming training until Monday.

“He is just so eager to start with us.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/87537/default.aspx

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #164 on: November 26, 2009, 09:39:34 PM »
see you Round 1 Dustin Martin!

:)