Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 850331 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #180 on: November 29, 2009, 09:25:33 PM »
The media was stupid for asking the question - the kid's there to talk about beign drafted not about what scribble he has on his stomach

Very funny how that NIne only bothered to show that part of the interview and nothing else - speaks volumes IMHO

The reference to Benny Cousins was petty and childish

As for our media manager - I give her a pat on the back for at least having the guts to tell these nuffers to back off. Should she have used the "F" word probably not but (conveniently   on 9's behalf) we have no idea as to what had happened during the course of the day .....

End of the day - it's a nothing story created by the media again!  :sleep :sleep

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #181 on: November 29, 2009, 09:52:57 PM »
Story on the Herald-Sun site already  ::).....

Uproar over Tiger Dustin Martin's tattoo
Daryl Timms From: Herald Sun November 29, 2009

RICHMOND clearly believes one high-profile player with emblazened tattoos is enough after cutting short inquiries on Dustin Martin's chest tattoos.

Martin has a large tattoo ''Live Free. Die Free'' inked on his chest and was repeatedly questions about it at a media call yesterday.

He said it was a motto followed him himself and his father, with the pair deciding to apply it to their bodies for life.

But when he was asked several times to lift his shirt by Channel Seven's Leith Mulligan a media minder stepped in, conscious of the club's image.A heated exchanged followed, with both sides unwilling to back down.

Ben Cousins continues to draw attention for his ''Such Is Life'' tattoo, but you get the feeling their no. 3 draft selection will be covering up at all times.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/uproar-over-tiger-dustin-martins-tattoo/story-e6frf9jf-1225805121728

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #182 on: November 29, 2009, 11:03:01 PM »
As for our media manager

did not handle the situation well

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #183 on: November 30, 2009, 12:26:06 AM »
Well good on her I reckon, about time someone told these clowns where to get off. I have actually met that lady last year when the Tiges were over here and she couldn't do enough for us regarding meeting the players.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #184 on: November 30, 2009, 12:39:31 AM »
it was a very stupid thing to ask Dustin to do.

however not a great response! very unprofessional!

:)

Offline peggles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #185 on: November 30, 2009, 12:50:44 AM »
so it's confirmed that they had asked several times to see the tattoo??

that's fair enough then, good on the media manager. 

funny thing was the report said it was the channel 7 reporter who asked the question yet 7 didn't show the news, leaving channel 9 to do the dirty work.

at least channel 7 had the decency to not make a story out of it despite having a unresponsible reporter.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #186 on: November 30, 2009, 01:08:15 AM »
What was said about Martin's footy ambitions at yesterday's media conference......

The Tigers' top pick at No.3 was midfielder Dustin Martin, an under-age All-Australian with great skills and a fierce determination.

Martin and his father Shane share a tattoo, "Live Free. Die Free", that the new Tiger has across his midriff.

"It's just me and my Dad - we want to live free and die free, that's about it," he said.

Martin is hopeful he can do enough pre-season work to put himself into the frame for a Round 1 debut against Carlton.

"Definitely. I just want to get out on the track and listen to my coaches and see what happens," he said.

"I am raring to go. They picked seven players so we are all in the same boat. We have these new facilities and new coaches. I can't wait."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/tigers-continue-high-player-turnover-with-rookie-picks/story-e6frf9jf-1225805144643
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/tigers-put-the-work-into-recruiting-dea-20091129-jyps.html

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #187 on: November 30, 2009, 06:46:54 AM »
But when he was asked several times to lift his shirt by Channel Seven's Leith Mulligan a media minder stepped in, conscious of the club's image.A heated exchanged followed, with both sides unwilling to back down.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/uproar-over-tiger-dustin-martins-tattoo/story-e6frf9jf-1225805121728

So let me get this straight the question was asked by someone from Channel 7 not Channel 9 but Nine created a story out of nothing and Channel 7 just didn't bother with it...

Says it all really
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #188 on: November 30, 2009, 06:58:41 AM »
Bit worried about Dustins Zoolander 'Cold Steel' impersonations, hope its a passing fad lol
Lots of people name their swords......

richmondrules

« Reply #189 on: November 30, 2009, 07:04:24 AM »
Bit worried about Dustins Zoolander 'Cold Steel' impersonations, hope its a passing fad lol

It's just nerves Owl. I've seen him smile and he looks really happy when he does. No doubt he's a serious young man but he doesn't look like an extrovert. Reckon he's just hanging out until training starts. He's a boy who wants to play football. Hopefully all this media stuff doesn't set him back.

Needs to talk to Cuz about how to ignore them  :o ... then again maybe not  :-\  ;D
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 01:15:31 PM by RROFO »

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #190 on: November 30, 2009, 01:08:48 PM »
i am worried about one thing with Aston Martin.

personality clahes with team-mates.

i just hope his strong personality is only for match-time action!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #191 on: November 30, 2009, 02:15:20 PM »
Martin desperate to bare teeth
richmondfc.com.au
By Mic Cullen | Mon 30 November, 2009

DUSTIN Martin was taken by Richmond at number three in Thursday's NAB AFL Draft, but still looked a little disappointed on Sunday morning when he turned up at Punt Rd in his new black and gold polo shirt.

The reason? He'd just been told that there was no training, it was just a meet and greet.

The 18-year-old is a ferocious worker who can't wait to begin his AFL career, but he was assured by a club official that by the time the Christmas break arrived, he'd be rapt to have some time off.

Martin told a media conference a little later on that he was hanging out to get started with his new club.

"I've had a look around and it looks pretty good - I just can't wait," he said.

"I met the coach on Thursday night, and I've met a few of the other boys who got picked up, too.

"I just can't wait to get out and start training."

Martin is an attacking midfielder with a terrific ability to win his own ball and use it off either side of his body.

He averaged 21 possessions per game for Vic Country at the NAB AFL U18 Championships, was made All-Australian and averaged 25 disposals (nine contested) in the TAC Cup.

At draft camp he was second in both the beep test (14.1) and the 20m sprint, and equal second in the kicking test.

He said he knew about a week before the draft the Tigers were going to take him with their first pick.

"They had a few mock drafts and stuff like that, but about a week before the draft, Francis (Jackson, recruiting manager), and the recruiting team came to Bendigo.

"We went and played some golf and had some lunch, and they told me they were going to take with their first pick.

"That was a big relief - it made it a bit easier going to the draft."

The Tigers finished 15th last season, and new coach Damien Hardwick has swept the place out, allowing the Tigers to recruit seven new faces in the draft.

That means plenty of opportunity for the new kids, and Martin said he was hoping to impress enough over the pre-season to get a start in round one.

"Definitely - I just want to get out on the track and listen to the coaches and my teammates and do what I've got to do, and we'll see what happens.

"I think they picked up seven players, so we're all in the same boat.

"We're building new facilities, there's new coaches - it's going to be really good, I can't wait."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/87671/default.aspx

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #192 on: November 30, 2009, 03:39:49 PM »
Cousins
Martin, Cotchin, Deledio, Tambling, Foley

+ Andy Collins

starting to look alright.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #193 on: November 30, 2009, 03:43:30 PM »
Judith Donnelly (our media manager) was on SEN this morning and she said the media have been over the top since draft day about Martin's tattoo to the point some journos even wanted a joint photo of Dustin and his dad topless showing off their tatts. The media also kept pestering Martin and the Club about how many clubs called him "dumb" at draft camp etc. Judith said she found that sort of behaviour and questioning by the media disgusting. She regrets using colourful language and wouldn't use it if she had her time again but she said the club was happy with the job she did and Martin's dad called to thank her and the Club for looking after his kid.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #194 on: November 30, 2009, 04:14:01 PM »
Deledio
Foley
Cotchin
Cousins
Tambling
Foley
Collins
Martin
Tuck
Jackson

i would draft two more midfielders!

looking very nice considering their ages, they have a lot pressure on them to carry The Richmond Football Club!