Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 849919 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #555 on: April 26, 2011, 03:02:08 PM »
Martin set to rival AFL greats, says Lyon
By Tim Clarke
SportsNewsFirst
26 April 2011 11:06AM EST

RICHMOND’s burgeoning superstar Dustin Martin is already on the way to becoming one of the best draft picks of the past ten years, according to AFL legend Garry Lyon.

After a match-winning turn against North Melbourne over the Easter weekend – which featured 33 disposals and four goals – Martin’s reputation as one of the brightest aspects of the Tigers’ future was hugely enhanced.

And just 26 AFL games into an AFL career, during which he has already finished fourth in the Richmond best-and-fairest, Lyon said the tattooed youngster should already be inked in as one of the very best selections of the last decade.

“Dustin Martin’s performance for me elevates him into the best top (draft) picks in the last ten years,” Lyon said.

“It puts him in the Selwood, (Scott) Pendlebury, (Dale) Thomas category for me – he wins contested footy, he wins clearances, he goes forward now which is the other dimension.

“He can mark above his head, he has got these uncanny ball skills, and then he kicks goals that you don’t teach.

“Dustin Martin is someone I would pay very good money to watch play footy."

Martin’s electric start to the season came after a pre-season which included an old-fashioned dressing down from coach Damien Hardwick for Martin’s post-holiday conditioning.

But having taken the criticism on board, Martin is already on his way to the same level as Geelong’s former Rising Star and captain-in-waiting Joel Selwood according to the former Melbourne great.

“33 disposals, four goals on its own stacks up – he got 12 in the defensive 50, got 12 in the midfield, he got nine in the forward 50 so that is the complete performance,” Lyon told radio Triple M.

“And he is only two years out of under-18 football.

“He has got everything you want in a footballer, a warrior type mentality, he does not shirk an issue – and then chuck in the poise and the classy finishes.

“He is going to get to a Selwood category – and he is playing in a side that has battled.

“The thing he does that Joel won’t be able to do – he could hold down a centre Half forward in the modern era.”

http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2011/04/26/martin-set-to-rival-afl-greats-says-lyon/

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #556 on: April 26, 2011, 04:52:19 PM »
All this praise and adulation. The club should keep that photographer (Dodge I think) away from him this week or he'll probably have a shocker against the bears.
I hope he backs up again this week though.  :pray
The club that keeps giving.

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #557 on: April 26, 2011, 07:03:38 PM »
Eff off Garry. After sinking the boots in for the past 10 years, you can find yourself a non-Richmond hero.

He's ours, and you, along with all the other Richmond bashers can stick it. Now that you need us, we don't need you.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #558 on: April 26, 2011, 07:47:57 PM »
Conca looks solid and had a lot of poise.

I doubt he will get to the same class as Martin.

Maybe
Martin = voss
conca = luke power

Teel ya what though Conca is right on his hammer in my books.
Jeez, not so sure about that
Conca still needs to work on some bad disposal issues, sells teammates into trouble a bit too often
Plenty to work with, but no where near Martin's level

Yeah I know he is a fair bit off Dusty but I just like what I see for someone that has played only 5 games, got a feeling on this one.

I reckon I know what you are talking about CUB.

Apart from Dusty's don't argue, what did Martin have that Conc's doesn't have after 5 games.

Agree he sells some players into trouble at times and he does stuff up the odd disposal but I think he's still adjusting to the pace of the game. (Frankly I've seen a few doozies from Martin this year too.)

He's got a cool head and can think his way out of traffic the way the really good players can, and when he gets his disposal right he's creative and very accurate. Hate comparing players with other players so I won't, but I think we're going to be happy with Reece.

Be interesting to look at Concs 5 games into next season, with 20 odd games more experience and another pre season under his belt.

TigerTimeII

« Reply #559 on: April 26, 2011, 07:55:53 PM »
Conca looks solid and had a lot of poise.

I doubt he will get to the same class as Martin.

Maybe
Martin = voss
conca = luke power

Teel ya what though Conca is right on his hammer in my books.
Jeez, not so sure about that
Conca still needs to work on some bad disposal issues, sells teammates into trouble a bit too often
Plenty to work with, but no where near Martin's level

Yeah I know he is a fair bit off Dusty but I just like what I see for someone that has played only 5 games, got a feeling on this one.

I reckon I know what you are talking about CUB.

Apart from Dusty's don't argue, what did Martin have that Conc's doesn't have after 5 games.

Agree he sells some players into trouble at times and he does stuff up the odd disposal but I think he's still adjusting to the pace of the game. (Frankly I've seen a few doozies from Martin this year too.)

He's got a cool head and can think his way out of traffic the way the really good players can, and when he gets his disposal right he's creative and very accurate. Hate comparing players with other players so I won't, but I think we're going to be happy with Reece.

Be interesting to look at Concs 5 games into next season, with 20 odd games more experience and another pre season under his belt.

i would say
cotchin = voss
conca = simon black
martin a cross b/w voss and brown

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #560 on: April 26, 2011, 09:17:14 PM »
Someone please ask Tigermonk does is he still emotional distraught over drafting Martin ahead of John Butcher. (Who still hasn't debuted yet, surely after a loss to GC he has to get a game...)

Dustin Martin is a gun .
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 09:26:25 PM by WilliamPowell »
Go Tigers!

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #561 on: April 26, 2011, 09:24:32 PM »
Eff off Garry. After sinking the boots in for the past 10 years, you can find yourself a non-Richmond hero.

He's ours, and you, along with all the other Richmond bashers can stick it. Now that you need us, we don't need you.

Amen to that.  :thumbsup

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #562 on: April 26, 2011, 09:27:06 PM »
Snip = AGAIN  :banghead :banghead

Enough with the personal sniping and insults

Keep it off the forum
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Siberian

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #563 on: April 26, 2011, 09:31:54 PM »

Martin = voss
conca = luke power

I' say Dusty has more Lethal Leigh about him than anyone else at the lions at that time.

gerkin greg

« Reply #564 on: April 26, 2011, 11:29:13 PM »

Exactly. And who the stuff rates anything Garry stuffing Lyon has to say these days? Spends more time in drag than watching football.

gerkin greg

« Reply #565 on: April 27, 2011, 01:53:54 PM »
Sam Wright in the background enjoying some of Dusty's work  ;D

gerkin greg

« Reply #566 on: April 27, 2011, 02:14:59 PM »
Anyone heard the one about Dusty's neck tatts?

Apparently they say "If you can read this, I just put my arm through your chest"

Ox

« Reply #567 on: April 27, 2011, 04:02:29 PM »
Go shovel some your nose Lyon.
effing dog rat!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 08:56:14 PM by WilliamPowell »

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #568 on: April 27, 2011, 04:16:37 PM »
After Martin's game on Sunday i've read a few times, 'Martin looks a superstar, about time Richmond got one right....'  :o

Jack at #13 and Cotch at #2 go alright as well.

And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #569 on: April 27, 2011, 04:53:28 PM »
Dustin Martin is a very impressive young footballer.