Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 850239 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #1005 on: August 22, 2012, 05:48:49 PM »
All-Australian and the guns who won't be there
Brad Hardie
The Age
August 20, 2012

If there's nothing left to gain this year from a team point of view, it's only natural those not taking part in the finals will start thinking about All-Australian selection. If you've had a good year in a bad side, All-Australian selection can be a nice consolation prize.

Having said that, there'll be a few guns missing out this year ... players full of promise and earning mega bucks who simply haven't delivered on their KPIs this year, for whatever reason. I'm going to run through six players just now who should be in the side, but won't be, and my reasons why I think they've struggled this year ...

Dustin Martin (Richmond)

This time last year, only a fool would bet on Trent Cotchin out-developing and out-ranking Martin as the most dominant midfielder at Tigerland, but it's happened, and there's probably only one good excuse for it. We all remember that incident a couple of months back when he turned up late for training and was sanctioned by the club. Such a public affair and disciplinary action can knock your confidence, and that's why I think he's struggling just now. Cotchin has streaked ahead of him in growth as a player, but Martin is young and can catch up.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/blogs/harden-up/allaustralian-and-the-guns-who-wont-be-there-20120820-24hnq.html#ixzz24G4yWAl4

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1006 on: August 22, 2012, 09:11:39 PM »
Brad Hardie
The Age
August 20, 2012

If there's nothing left to gain this year from a team point of view, it's only natural those not taking part in the finals will start thinking about All-Australian selection. If you've had a good year in a bad side, All-Australian selection can be a nice consolation prize.

Having said that, there'll be a few guns missing out this year ... players full of promise and earning mega bucks who simply haven't delivered on their KPIs this year, for whatever reason. I'm going to run through six players just now who should be in the side, but won't be, and my reasons why I think they've struggled this year ...

Dustin Martin (Richmond)

This time last year, only a fool would bet on Trent Cotchin out-developing and out-ranking Martin as the most dominant midfielder at Tigerland, but it's happened, and there's probably only one good excuse for it. We all remember that incident a couple of months back when he turned up late for training and was sanctioned by the club. Such a public affair and disciplinary action can knock your confidence, and that's why I think he's struggling just now. Cotchin has streaked ahead of him in growth as a player, but Martin is young and can catch up.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/blogs/harden-up/allaustralian-and-the-guns-who-wont-be-there-20120820-24hnq.html#ixzz24G4yWAl4

guy has no clue

the claw

« Reply #1007 on: August 22, 2012, 10:09:41 PM »
Brad Hardie
The Age
August 20, 2012

Dustin Martin (Richmond)

guy has no clue
your not wrong there.
martins season is not that far off last yrs. you can see it plain as day on match days imo his tank is the thing that is holding martin back.
it may take a yr or it may take 3 yrs but only when dustins tank improves significantly will his defensive game  and over all performances  significantly improve. think jack ziebel but not as bad or gary ablett junior.
it may take a few more yrs but it will turn and then watch out.

anyway  i dont know what people are complaining about with him atm his output and influence when hes in the game is very good. expectations not just at richmond but the footy world are silly at times.
atm i will take 22 possies a game  and 30 odd goals a season. what i would like to see slowly improve more than anything is the 1percenters and the defensive side of the game.
when i look at martin i see mark ricciuto mk2 just give it time.

dwaino

« Reply #1008 on: August 22, 2012, 10:25:11 PM »
I think a lot of journos and those sorts have missed that Martin hasn't spent as much time on the ball this year. He definitely wasn't his best this season, but with our main on ball rotations, Cotch and Deledio start a lot in the guts and Martin up forward and replaces either when they need a spell. I'm really liking this set up and Martin is going to be an absolute nightmare to match up on in the future. He is too strong from a small defender and too quick for a tall, and his core strength makes him hard to stop when on the ball.

Keep it up, Dusty  :thumbsup

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1009 on: August 22, 2012, 11:42:40 PM »
I think a lot of journos and those sorts have missed that Martin hasn't spent as much time on the ball this year. He definitely wasn't his best this season, but with our main on ball rotations, Cotch and Deledio start a lot in the guts and Martin up forward and replaces either when they need a spell. I'm really liking this set up and Martin is going to be an absolute nightmare to match up on in the future. He is too strong from a small defender and too quick for a tall, and his core strength makes him hard to stop when on the ball.

Keep it up, Dusty  :thumbsup

I like this set up too, with a hard body clearance freak like Tuck and hopefully Conca to be in there

Offline unplugged

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1010 on: August 23, 2012, 10:14:43 AM »
Hes had a very ordinary year.

He shouldn't be compared in performance to the other duds on the list.  Each player on the list should be judged individually. His performance should be based on his talent and ability vrs his output.  His output isn't anywhere near where it should be for a player of his talent and ability.  If he has broken even with his performances of last year, for a young developing player to stagnate, that is going backwards.  His defensive efforts are non existent and his ability to break tackles has not improved since last year.  Its not just motor, he is lazy.

Another player who hasn't developed under Hardwick.

With decent coaches, this guy would have the motor and confidence to be the best player in the afl.  We shouldn't be waiting three years for that just like we shouldn't have had to wait so long for Deledio to go in the midfield.  Not good enough.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1011 on: August 23, 2012, 10:21:04 AM »
Hes had a very ordinary year.

He shouldn't be compared in performance to the other duds on the list.  Each player on the list should be judged individually. His performance should be based on his talent and ability vrs his output.  His output isn't anywhere near where it should be for a player of his talent and ability.  If he has broken even with his performances of last year, for a young developing player to stagnate, that is going backwards.  His defensive efforts are non existent and his ability to break tackles has not improved since last year.  Its not just motor, he is lazy.

Another player who hasn't developed under Hardwick.

With decent coaches, this guy would have the motor and confidence to be the best player in the afl.  We shouldn't be waiting three years for that just like we shouldn't have had to wait so long for Deledio to go in the midfield.  Not good enough.
Real motivation comes from within. Look at Fyfe. Change of coaches has meant nothing to him. He just goes about his business because he demands 100% effort from himself. This is not one you can pin on Hardwick. Team strategies etc etc yes. Individual motivation, no. The fact is Hardwick was there the last two years when he has played better anyway!
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1012 on: August 23, 2012, 03:21:26 PM »

What 3rd year player has been the best player in the AFL?

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1013 on: August 23, 2012, 04:06:43 PM »
Judd was a monster then

Before lost speed

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1014 on: August 23, 2012, 04:07:36 PM »

What 3rd year player has been the best player in the AFL?

Chris Judd?

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1015 on: August 23, 2012, 04:15:25 PM »
Won a Brownlow in his 3rd season didn't he?

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1016 on: August 23, 2012, 04:18:11 PM »
Won a Brownlow in his 3rd season didn't he?

Yup, with 30 votes.  Would make him pretty close to the "best player in the AFL" imho.

Ox

« Reply #1017 on: August 23, 2012, 04:25:34 PM »
Dustin in 2012/natural ability = Fail

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1018 on: August 23, 2012, 05:27:48 PM »
Exactly his a freak, not many people would expect a 3rd year player to reach Judd level

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #1019 on: August 23, 2012, 07:48:40 PM »
Dustin's year has been disappointing, but I don't think we can blame Dimma for it. Dusty is still maturing as a person. I reckon he'l learn from this year and completely tear poo up next year.