Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 1084991 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #6840 on: June 09, 2024, 09:31:10 AM »
Reckon if it was a prelim he might have gotten over this sniffle

If he had anything like then it was more than just a sniffle ;D

I had a sniffle Tuesday morning

By Wednesday couldn't get out of bed and spent a total of 3 days in bed with a sinus infection

Never been knocked for a six so quickly  :help
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dustin Martin - 300 games [merged]
« Reply #6841 on: June 09, 2024, 09:32:43 AM »

By Wednesday couldn't get out of bed and spent a total of 3 days in bed with a sinus infection

So you'd been out on a bender doing coke? Haha

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6842 on: June 09, 2024, 09:34:46 AM »

I know you're joking but sorry I don't find it funny ar all

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6843 on: June 09, 2024, 10:22:12 AM »

I know you're joking but sorry I don't find it funny ar all

Noted. Apologies, and yes definitely joking about the recent revelation that the AFL protects players who test positive.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6844 on: June 09, 2024, 05:16:02 PM »
DON'T ARGUE | The Dustin Martin story | TRAILER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52LxHd__uGA

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6845 on: June 09, 2024, 07:48:33 PM »
I'm excited.

Hope we get to see more vintage Dusty next week!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6846 on: June 10, 2024, 01:00:45 PM »
Favourite Dusty Memories

Richmond players share their favourite memories from Dustin Martin's career in the lead up to his 300th game.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/1573033/favourite-dusty-memories

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6847 on: June 10, 2024, 01:04:36 PM »
THE “LAST HOPE” REMAINING FOR A DUSTIN MARTIN 300TH GAME INTERVIEW

By Andrew Slevison
SEN
10 June 2024

Dustin Martin is highly unlikely to undertake any official media obligations in the lead-up to his 300th game.

The Richmond superstar plays his milestone match against Hawthorn at the MCG this Saturday and with that will undoubtedly come unavoidable fanfare.

But one thing the media-shy Martin will be able to evade is an interview prior.

Even after the AFL introduced increased access to players as part of the new collective bargaining agreement, it seems as though Martin will get his wish to float along and simply play a game of footy.

Martin’s premiership captain Trent Cotchin had been rumoured to have sorted an interview for Channel 7, but it appears as though that will not eventuate.

There is one last glimmer of hope, however, with Channel 9 journalist and SEN regular Tom Morris is reporting that one former teammate - Jack Riewoldt - could still potentially land a chat for Fox Footy…

…but it’s not looking hopeful.

“As it stands right now on Monday morning before a Saturday game, Dustin Martin won’t be doing even one interview before his 300th game,” Morris said on SEN Breakfast.

“That’s clearly not a media conference but it’s also not a one on one with Trent Cotchin at Seven, or a one on one with Jack Riewoldt at Fox, or Matthew Richardson for the club’s website.

“Nothing has been locked in. I think still Fox is still hopeful that Jack Riewoldt can convince ‘Dusty’ privately to do an interview.

“But there won’t be anything at this stage that he does do. There’s a Richmond doco that’s going on the website on Tuesday night.

“Clearly the fanfare around Saturday will be significant. Dusty’s barber is going to be at the game cutting people’s hair like Dusty. There’ll be lots of memorabilia and paraphernalia.

“This is significant, I think, because of the AFL’s new rule where fines are attached to players and clubs who don’t comply with their regulations. It would be a very brave AFL to fine Dusty or Richmond this week.

“But nevertheless, at this stage, there is no interview attached to Dusty’s 300th.”

The AFL wanted Martin to hold a press conference ahead of his milestone match but Morris says that certainly will not be taking place.

The “last hope” for fans to hear from the Brownlow Medallist and three-time Norm Smith Medallist now sits with Riewoldt.

“That (a press conference) is not going to be happening,” Morris added.

“Something ridiculous would need to change. The people I speak to, in and around Dusty, say there’s no chance.

“Jack Riewoldt at Fox is probably the last hope, but nothing has been locked in yet and it’s Monday of the 300th week.

“Dusty would just like to float through and play on Saturday. He has told people around him that he would like to thank the fans, and I think most fans would agree that the best way for him to do that would be on game day.

“During the week it feels as if there’s not going to be much at all.”

Pre-game interview or not, Martin will be featured front and centre in this weekend’s AFL Record which includes insight and thoughts from his close mate Cotchin, current Tigers captain Toby Nankervis, as well as two of Martin’s Grand Final opponents - Geelong’s Joel Selwood and GWS’ Phil Davis.

Martin will become just the seventh Richmond player to reach the 300-game milestone, joining premiership peers Cotchin, Riewoldt and Shane Edwards, and following legends Kevin Bartlett, Jack Dyer and Francis Bourke.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/06/10/the-last-hope-remaining-for-a-dustin-martin-300th-game-interview/

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Dustin Martin - 300 games - Carr backs Dusty to Play On in 2025
« Reply #6848 on: June 10, 2024, 08:32:28 PM »
Got a lot left in him’: Manager Ralph Carr backs superstar Dustin Martin to play on in 2025

The reclusive Dustin Martin will celebrate his 300th game this week, and with speculation swirling around his future his manager Ralph Carr tells JON RALPH his client should play on.

Jon Ralph
Follow
@RalphyHeraldSun
2 min read
June 10, 2024 - 7:30PM

Dustin Martin’s manager Ralph Carr has dubbed his client as “the people’s champion” as he made clear the 32-year-old triple Norm Smith Medallist had more football left in him next year.

Martin will this week celebrate his 300th game in front of a packed MCG crowd of as many as 80,000 fans, returning from sickness to reluctantly be feted by an adoring fanbase.

The brilliant Tiger will not conduct a press conference and is unlikely to even be interviewed by any of his premiership teammates working in the media, keen to let his football do the talking.

The club will on Tuesday discuss whether he will be involved in any media and while the AFL is not thrilled given its new open media policy he is unlikely to be fined for breaking those protocols.

Martin’s seven-year $1.3 million a season deal with Richmond finishes this year and there are suitors who would be prepared to offer him contracts for next year.

His confidantes and friends believe he has plenty of football left in him given he was in peerless form last season and has shown flashes of his best this year.

Richmond is hopeful Dion Prestia (calf) and Tom Lynch (hamstring tendon) will be fit to take on the Hawks and celebrate with their premiership teammate.

But Prestia had scans on his calf on Monday despite the club’s coach Adem Yze saying after the club’s win over Adelaide that he would play against Hawthorn.

Richmond has compiled a documentary celebrating his achievements titled Don’t Argue that features identities like ex-Richmond coach Damien Hardwick and long-time manager Carr.

Carr told the Herald Sun on Monday despite recent criticism of Martin’s form and his elusive nature Richmond fans had never fallen out of love with Martin.

“I hope they can celebrate and enjoy his career and the Tigers can get a win against Hawthorn. People forget really quickly that he was on the verge of being All Australian last year. Champion Data said his stats were unbelievable. That was only six months ago,” he said.

“My view is that his body is in good condition and it would be a shame for Dustin to finish up. The great man has got a lot left in him. I think that people calling him the People’s Champion is really appropriate. He is the punters’ champion. They love him, it doesn’t matter if they are Richmond fans. The punters love him, whether they are Collingwood or Essendon supporters, they just enjoy the way he plays.”

Martin nearly left the club for North Melbourne given their bumper free agency offer but in the end re-signed on the verge of the 2017 finals series, sacrificing as much as $2 million.

He would cap the perfect season in 2017 as a Norm Smith Medallist, premiership player and Brownlow Medallist.

“The reaction has been phenomenal. The AFL fans are incredible. I mentioned in the documentary about the 2017 Grand final, I couldn’t believe what it meant to so many people,” Carr said.

“So many people were emotionally affected by it. Kids and elderly people who came up to me in tears. I was just so happy for them.”

Martin plans to travel after his career ends and has told some friends that he has struggled at times to find the passion this year to train and play.

But he kicked 3.2 to go with 23 possessions against Essendon then kicked two goals against Geelong before his rest against Adelaide to show he is still capable of influencing contests.

Richmond is willing to offer him a new deal and is hopeful he will still finish his career as a one-club player, whether at year’s end or after another contract with the club.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/got-a-lot-left-in-him-manager-ralph-carr-backs-superstar-dustin-martin-to-play-on-in-2025/news-story/f176be091e861e163eb8f05dd91350ef

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6849 on: June 10, 2024, 10:19:13 PM »
Lloydy and Caro go head-to-head over Dustin Martin’s lack of media before 300th game

3AW FOOTBALL
10 June 2024

Matthew Lloyd and Caroline Wilson have gone head-to-head on Dustin Martin refusing to do any interviews before his 300th game against Hawthorn next Saturday.

The notoriously media-shy Martin won’t speak publicly before the game, with Caro hoping his glittering career would be properly celebrating despite his lack of media.

“I spoke to someone from the AFL about this,” Caro said on 3AW Football.

“And they said ‘we can fine him (for not doing media) but it was almost like what’s the point’.”

Matthew Lloyd then questioned the point of media access rules if certain players were allowed to ignore them.

“The least he could do is (an interview) even with Richmond, for their members and everyone who has paid his wages for 15 years,” Lloydy said.

https://www.3aw.com.au/lloydy-and-caro-go-head-to-head-over-dustin-martins-lack-of-media-before-300th-game/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6850 on: June 10, 2024, 10:19:46 PM »
Caro arrows the negative commentary surrounding Dusty ahead of the Tiger champion's 300th.

#9FootyClassified

https://x.com/FootyonNine/status/1800118180729462915

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6851 on: June 10, 2024, 10:34:29 PM »
Lloydy and Caro go head-to-head over Dustin Martin’s lack of media before 300th game

3AW FOOTBALL
10 June 2024

Matthew Lloyd and Caroline Wilson have gone head-to-head on Dustin Martin refusing to do any interviews before his 300th game against Hawthorn next Saturday.

The notoriously media-shy Martin won’t speak publicly before the game, with Caro hoping his glittering career would be properly celebrating despite his lack of media.

“I spoke to someone from the AFL about this,” Caro said on 3AW Football.

“And they said ‘we can fine him (for not doing media) but it was almost like what’s the point’.”

Matthew Lloyd then questioned the point of media access rules if certain players were allowed to ignore them.

“The least he could do is (an interview) even with Richmond, for their members and everyone who has paid his wages for 15 years,” Lloydy said.

https://www.3aw.com.au/lloydy-and-caro-go-head-to-head-over-dustin-martins-lack-of-media-before-300th-game/

Footballers talking about fans. Give me a break.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6852 on: June 11, 2024, 10:08:29 AM »
Caro arrows the negative commentary surrounding Dusty ahead of the Tiger champion's 300th.

#9FootyClassified

https://x.com/FootyonNine/status/1800118180729462915

Leigh Matthews is obviously losing some memory.
Downplayed Dusty by saying it was only the 3 Norm Smith's that made him ignores what Leigh himself said in 2017.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/fantasy/fantasyafl/draftstars-why-leigh-matthews-call-on-dustin-martins-brilliant-2017-season-is-spot-on/news-story/5c275fa2d60f6da15d44b51d3db208bd

On thinking about it I would put Judd at 1 with Dusty 2 and Ablett Jr 3 because they all played in the guts where the heat is hottest.
Judd, due to excellence across a long period and 2 clubs
Dusty, as the best season ever.
Ablett, across a long period with 2 clubs (one a basket case)

Franklin, while brilliant only had one opponent most of the time   

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6853 on: June 11, 2024, 12:47:39 PM »
Dangerfield over dusty is crazy. They have similar stats averages for entire careers so how is danger more consistent ? Dusty obviously has the edge with 3 norms and the general consensus that dusty has better skills and steps up in big games

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6854 on: June 11, 2024, 05:25:50 PM »
They have put a best of package on RFC website. Hopefully they put a longer one on closer to Saturday.