Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 1073031 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #7170 on: August 08, 2024, 07:06:49 PM »
'Best player I've coached': Hardwick reflects on Dusty's legacy

By Michael Whiting
afl.com.au
8 August 2024

DAMIEN Hardwick has spoken of his "love" for Dustin Martin, just days after the Richmond champion announced his retirement.

Martin was the first player drafted by the Tigers following Hardwick's appointment as coach in late 2009 and the duo went on to spearhead the club's triple-premiership dynasty.

Coaching the three-time Norm Smith Medal winner for 278 of his 302 games, Hardwick was effusive in his praise.

"He's probably the best player I've coached … and one of the best players I've ever seen," he said.

"What I loved about him is he's a match-winner. When push comes to shove and the game's on the line, he wants the ball.

"He's a player I love. It was a privilege to coach him.

"He'll retire a champion of the game, not only of the Richmond Football Club, but the AFL in general."

Hardwick said his favourite memory of Martin came just before half-time of the 2020 Grand Final win over Geelong, where the Brownlow medallist kicked a miraculous goal to give the Tigers some hope they would seize in the second half.

"If he didn't kick that goal just before half-time, Richmond don't win that Grand Final," Hardwick said.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1190722/best-player-ive-coached-gold-coast-suns-coach-damien-hardwick-reflects-on-richmond-tigers-star-dustin-martin-legacy

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7171 on: August 11, 2024, 02:06:00 AM »
David Schwarz doubles down on Dusty to Gold Coast calls, despite retirement

SEN
9 Aug 2024

David Schwarz is doubling down on his call that Dustin Martin will play for Gold Coast in 2025.

Schwarz a month ago said you could “take it to the bank” that the Richmond star would join the Suns, saying “it’s done”.

Martin has since retired, calling time on his career effective immediately earlier this week.

However, the former Melbourne star is not backing down by saying it will still happen.

“I didn’t say that he wouldn’t retire. I said they would end up at the Gold Coast. We’ve got until October 31,” Schwarz told SEN’s The Captain’s Run.

“We have seen this 100 times from AFL players when they retire and then they go and find another place.

“Just sit back, hop on the banana lounge, grab a pina colada and wait and see what happens.

“By no means am I backing down from what I said. And if he doesn’t, well I’ll put my hand up and say I was wrong.

“Mal Michael, Luke Hodge, Tim Watson, the list goes on. Let’s just sit back. This is a long play.

“It’s not about Dusty retiring, it’s about Dusty going to the Gold Coast.

“He’s not going there to be a star. He’s going there for marketing reasons, coaching purposes, experience, he’s not going to go there and be Dusty from seven years ago – you know what you’re getting, star power that comes through the door and a great relationship with the coach.

“We get it wrong occasionally, but this one I am still very confident.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/08/09/david-schwarz-doubles-down-on-dusty-to-gold-coast-calls-despite-retirement/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7172 on: August 15, 2024, 09:36:02 PM »
Trent Cotchin reflects on Dustin Martin's departure from Richmond - and what life will look like for Dusty now

https://x.com/7AFL/status/1823693516586745964

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7173 on: August 15, 2024, 10:11:44 PM »
I have no interest in checking that link. Wish Cotch would do a Dusty and just go quietly...

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #7174 on: August 16, 2024, 01:07:38 AM »
Preety poor form accusing Dusty of being shyte scared like that.... :thumbsdown
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7175 on: August 16, 2024, 03:41:47 PM »
Preety poor form accusing Dusty of being shyte scared like that.... :thumbsdown
Really in  the context of life after footy which is almost his entire life to now, a little tacker  underage right thru to age 33 then it all stops..Its all gone. For that not to be there anymore  it would probably be daunting and scary.
It would be for most people.

In Dusty's case he has no money worries but its like changing jobs or being forced to change jobs it can be scary.

Boy i wonder where we are going sometimes and how precious we are becoming. No slight intended.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #7176 on: August 17, 2024, 10:39:10 PM »
I have no interest in checking that link. Wish Cotch would do a Dusty and just go quietly...

I actually agree with this. Cotchin is awful in the media. I'm sorry to say. He sounds like a try hard, tries to be funny. He isn't overly analytical like Jack is, Jack can talk about the game under water but Cotch it sorta sounds robotical.

I adore Cotch but think he'd be better off writing special comments rather than talking about it.
Go Tigers!

Offline Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7177 on: August 18, 2024, 02:57:24 AM »
Cochin was not as popular as everyone thinks... I posted this before, but......

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7178 on: August 18, 2024, 09:53:22 AM »

But nobody really listen to you?

He was a leader on the field most importantly.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7179 on: August 18, 2024, 10:04:10 AM »
Cotch doesn’t belong in media. He’s also doing part time work in leadership development at Brisbane. Would love for him to come back and do similar at our club in the next few years

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7180 on: August 18, 2024, 05:06:46 PM »

But nobody really listen to you?

He was a leader on the field most importantly.

Yes because we’d rather believe what we see with our own eyes then listen to a random dude spreading rumours on a footy forum.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7181 on: August 21, 2024, 09:53:28 PM »
MMM AUDIO: https://omny.fm/shows/the-rub/tom-lynch-reveals-the-moment-dustin-martin-decided

-----------------------------------------

Richmond forward Tom Lynch says Dustin Martin told teammates he would retire two months prior

‘He told a group of us.’

Harrison Reid
7news
21 Aug 2024

Dustin Martin told only a few teammates he was retiring.

Dustin Martin had settled on his decision to retire at least two months before his final AFL game.

The future Hall of Fame Legend ended months of speculation on August 6 when he announced his retirement, effective immediately, after 302 games for Richmond.

The 33-year-old had kept everyone in the dark about his plans beyond 2024 for most of the year until, in typical Dustin Martin fashion, he bowed out of the game with nothing but a quiet statement via the club’s website after the Tigers’ Round 21 loss to North Melbourne.

Only a select group of teammates were told that this would be his last year, but even they didn’t know exactly when he would pull the trigger.

“I didn’t know it was going to be the last game,” Richmond forward Tom Lynch said on Triple M.

“I knew that he was going to finish up at some stage this year; he told a group of us probably six or eight weeks prior to that, that he’s going to finish up (and) he’s not sure how many more games he’ll play.”

For some time, many were certain that he would link up with former coach Damien Hardwick at the Suns for the twilight of his glittering career.

But Lynch knew that was never any real chance.

“I was pretty sure he wasn’t going to Gold Coast — I was certain of that,” he said.

“I knew that he would finish up at Richmond when he let us know that.

“Clearly his 300th game out here (at the MCG) was a great game to celebrate him and (it was) a massive turnout by the Tiger army.

“He’s had a massive impact on my career and the whole Richmond footy club. He’s one of the greatest players we’ve ever had.”

Martin will do one final lap of the MCG this weekend to wave his last goodbyes to the Tigers faithful before his now former side plays against — as fate would have it — Hardwick’s Suns.

The 2017 Brownlow medallist and three-time Norm Smith medallist is irreplaceable and will leave a gaping hole at Punt Road.

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-forward-tom-lynch-says-dustin-martin-told-teammates-he-would-retire-two-months-prior-c-15749345

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #7182 on: August 24, 2024, 06:27:07 PM »
Hayfever kicked in seeing Dusty walk off emotionally. Very water eyes.
Go Tigers!

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7183 on: August 24, 2024, 06:32:41 PM »
Hayfever kicked in seeing Dusty walk off emotionally. Very water eyes.

Pollen count has been quite high in Melbourne lately

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7184 on: August 24, 2024, 06:35:47 PM »
😭