Author Topic: Andrew Welsh, Adam McPhee may roll dice in draft  (Read 8528 times)

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Andrew Welsh, Adam McPhee may roll dice in draft
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2009, 09:48:49 PM »
Andrew Welsh, Adam McPhee are not in the same class. Not even close.

Thanks for that Bentleigh-obvious.

Whilst clearly not in Cousins class, Welsh and McPhee would also both EASILY walk into our 22 and likely be there for the next 3 years. It's not as if we have many in our team you can say that about right now. Where as Thorp has done Jack squat and Smith a little more. Both of them are severley hampered by injury.

So what do you do?
Knock back a quality player with at least 3 years left (a long time in football despite the naysayers) or take a punt on a youngster who's more than likely to fail?

Forget the notion of quick fixes.
IMO the PSD selection costs you absolutely nothing in terms of juniors so I would take the option that might actually help improve your football team and the players within it. Or you can go and pick up a young dud who'll likely be delisted in another 12 months.
These guys are not Kent Kingsley, they can actually play and would make our team better being in it. Heaven forbid it might even help us improve.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2009, 11:35:38 PM »
Andrew Welsh, Adam McPhee are not in the same class. Not even close.
Whilst clearly not in Cousins class, Welsh and McPhee would also both EASILY walk into our 22 and likely be there for the next 3 years.
Yet will not be at the club when we are next successful, that's the exact definition of a list clogger

Where as Thorp has done Jack squat and Smith a little more. Both of them are severley hampered by injury.
They are both still young enough that they may get over the injuries and have an AFL career, Thorp more so than Smith. Either way due dilligence should be taken regarding both and their injuries. You'd think Hardwick is qualified to make a call on Thorp who is the more likely of the two to come to Richmond.

So what do you do?
Knock back a quality player with at least 3 years left (a long time in football despite the naysayers) or take a punt on a youngster who's more than likely to fail?
Knock back a quality (sic) player with 3 years left and take a punt on a youngster... pretty much that's exactly what we should do. That's how you rebuild a list. You keep taking punts on youngsters so you increase your chances of finding premiership quality players. You don't fill the list with players you know WON'T be part of your next premiership.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2009, 11:33:44 AM »
Just a quick reply because I have been flat out and it was my 40th last night... :thumbsup. Love the debates and Smokey you have some real valid points and yes it is a good debate. I don't want crap coming to this club but I think we need to continually fill a void, if that is done with kids then so be it, if it is done with experineced ölder"players then so be it. What ever the club does I will respect and keek the dream alive........ : :)
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2009, 03:09:58 PM »
So, Infamy, I take it you wouldn't have given Cousins another contract?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2009, 04:05:45 PM »
So, Infamy, I take it you wouldn't have given Cousins another contract?
I knew someone would make that conclusion
Yes I'm happy Cousins got another contract, as was said Cousins is in a different class of player
There is plenty that Cousins can teach our midfielders about playing the position and all players on the list about leadership
Welsh & McPhee are depth players at best, even in our 22

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2009, 04:13:57 PM »
I knew someone would make that conclusion
;D
Yes I'm happy Cousins got another contract, as was said Cousins is in a different class of player
There is plenty that Cousins can teach our midfielders about playing the position and all players on the list about leadership
Welsh & McPhee are depth players at best, even in our 22

I think you are are being a bit gracious to Welsh and Mcphee there. From your posts I got the impression it was youth at all costs. I now see though, that you can recognise that the right sort of person can offer more than just what they do with the ball. (There is no doubting that these two are not the right sort of person)
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2009, 06:28:50 PM »
The main difference is that Cousins is already on the list

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2009, 06:38:03 PM »
Cousins coaches where others do not or wont be able to coach the kids, the best thing for us is if a few of the discards are taken in the national draft effectively giving us a better chance of a better kid!

I would like to pick up 23 year olds and younger unless there are exceptional circumstances.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2009, 09:25:03 PM »
I would rather draft Patrick Bowden and Tim Fleming ahead of McPhee and Welsh.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2009, 02:51:26 AM »
Benny Gale was chatting to Welsh at the races ........ but about horses according to the Herald-Sun

Footy runs second to finding winner
By Chris de Kretser and Daryl Timms
Wed 04 Nov 2009, Page 78

NO, ANDREW Welsh isn't heading to Richmond and nor is recently retired Essendon captain Matthew Lloyd heading to Punt Rd as footy manager.

The man pictured in the middle -- Richmond chief executive Brendon Gale -- was talking to the pair about horses and not football when they crossed paths in Tabcorp's marquee.

Lloyd (left) is happy in retirement and keeping trim by running the Tan every second day.

``This is the first Melbourne Cup for a few years where I've been able to enjoy myself without having to worry about pre-season training,'' he said.

Lloyd is close to finalising a deal with Channel 10 and also plans to do some radio work.

Welsh, who returned from overseas last week, is hoping to negotiate a new deal with Essendon before pre-season training starts on Monday.

Essendon has offered him a two-year deal but, like teammate Adam McPhee, he wants three. ``I just hope everything can get sorted,'' Welsh said. ``I want to stay at Essendon".

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2009, 05:25:04 AM »
Melbourne, which has the first pick in the pre-season draft, is unlikely to make a play for McPhee given he is over 25 years of age.

Richmond, at No. 2, is going down a similar path, meaning the Dockers should get a free hit at McPhee if he nominates.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/fremantle-dockers-eye-out-of-contract-essendon-bomberadam-mcphee/story-e6frf9ix-1225794444701

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2009, 09:18:43 AM »
Melbourne, which has the first pick in the pre-season draft, is unlikely to make a play for McPhee given he is over 25 years of age.

Richmond, at No. 2, is going down a similar path, meaning the Dockers should get a free hit at McPhee if he nominates.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/fremantle-dockers-eye-out-of-contract-essendon-bomberadam-mcphee/story-e6frf9ix-1225794444701

I hope we steer WELL clear of McShee
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2009, 09:50:03 AM »
Any listed AFL player who has the first 2 letters of his surname beginning with MC should never be allowed near our football club again.

They are all useless
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2009, 09:31:44 PM »
Fremantle wouldn't want to go for McPhee would they?

He left Freo in 2001 or 2002 to join the Bombers. Why would he go back again?
Any listed AFL player who has the first 2 letters of his surname beginning with MC should never be allowed near our football club again.

They are all useless

Steven McKee
Mark McQueen
Allan McKellar

Not that many more I can think of Daniel. I think we re recruited McQueen once or twice after he was delisted.
Mckee was shipped off to Collingwood for Clinton King.
Allan McKellar was running around in our cubs side of 87/88.
Can't think of any more.

Online tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2009, 10:15:22 PM »

I hope we steer WELL clear of McShee

So do I, he makes stupid decisions on the field and thinks he has more ability than he does.  He keeps kicking long for 60m targets and surprise surprise they nearly always get picked off.  Steer clear.