Author Topic: Ben Griffiths [merged]  (Read 504894 times)

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Ben Griffiths [merged]
« Reply #2445 on: April 04, 2015, 12:18:17 PM »
is this the time for the haters to come forward or do we wait until mid season.

FWIW i still have hopes for vickery. Anyone know how many years vickery has left?

Vickery is only a young fella who has 7 or more years left

years left in his contract i meant?

Think he should be given at least another year after this to prove himself.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2446 on: April 04, 2015, 12:22:22 PM »
is this the time for the haters to come forward or do we wait until mid season.

FWIW i still have hopes for vickery. Anyone know how many years vickery has left?

Vickery is only a young fella who has 7 or more years left

years left in his contract i meant?

Think he should be given at least another year after this to prove himself.

Is contracted until the end of 2016

See
http://oneeyed-richmond.com/forum/index.php?topic=20680.msg457186#msg457186
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2447 on: April 04, 2015, 01:02:52 PM »
thats enough time to persist with and probably too generous in fact. His cause is only helped due to our lack of depth in the forward line.

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #2448 on: April 04, 2015, 01:31:40 PM »
thats enough time to persist with and probably too generous in fact. His cause is only helped due to our lack of depth in the forward line.
what more do you want? I think he is going really well, i would think plenty of clubs would take him, ffs he is a tiger, is mobile, can take a grab, can kick goals, if we wanted to recruit a CHF, without paying millions...and i leave myself open here... Who else would you want?? We have been patient with Ben, grooming him nicely, he will improve with seniors game time, i would be signing him up for for 2 years if his contract was due. He is ++++> vickery IMHO

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2449 on: April 04, 2015, 01:42:42 PM »
Quite a few fans were quaking in their boots when it was rumoured at one point that he may not renew his contract, i think a lot of people know that the talent is definitely there and that with the bigger bodied players they do take that much longer to mature. Would be nothing worse to have lost him given the investment of time the club has made with him, in my mind he is now providing some reward for that time and if he can maintain some consistency therefore gaining self confidence in the process then i think his very best is something to look forward to in the next few seasons to come.

tony_montana

« Reply #2450 on: April 04, 2015, 02:01:19 PM »
what more do you want? I think he is going really well, i would think plenty of clubs would take him, ffs he is a tiger, is mobile, can take a grab, can kick goals, if we wanted to recruit a CHF, without paying millions...and i leave myself open here... Who else would you want?? We have been patient with Ben, grooming him nicely, he will improve with seniors game time, i would be signing him up for for 2 years if his contract was due. He is ++++> vickery IMHO

Pretty sure angus was talking about vickerys contract not Griff

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2451 on: April 04, 2015, 02:26:44 PM »
Sorry mint should have been clearer

TM is right I was talking about Vickery. No issues with Griffiths

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #2452 on: April 04, 2015, 04:48:45 PM »
Sorry mint should have been clearer

TM is right I was talking about Vickery. No issues with Griffiths
no problemos, i think TV,s time at rfc is done, trade him, no ifs buts or maybeeeees

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2453 on: April 07, 2015, 11:35:56 AM »
Cotch talking about Griffo on SEN:

* It was a great game for Ben’s confidence. He took some really good marks and finished his work off accordingly which is what we’ve been looking for out of our key forwards. It was really important for Ben to step up and play that role for us because not only does he play that key forward role, he also gives big Ivan a chop-out in the ruck which is really beneficial for him especially as the year goes on.

* We think he’s got a lot to offer from a talent point of view. He’s done a lot of work on his body making sure that it’s fit to play and it’s strong enough in the contest. We’re just looking for him taking big steps forward every week and hopefully he has a really consistent year for us.

Full article: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2015-04-07/griffiths-grows-in-confidence

Offline Tigers of Old

• Premiership Captain
  • @Tigers_of_Old
« Reply #2454 on: April 08, 2015, 12:05:34 AM »
Progressing well. Still needs to pluck a few more contested marks but his upside is still there. Exciting times.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2455 on: April 08, 2015, 02:56:23 PM »
I think Benny G is on the right trajectory. It took Nick Riewoldt until his 4th season (with two full 22 game seasons prior) before he cracked 50 goals a season. Franklin needed consistent game time as well to find his feet.

I have faith in Benny G and I strongly feel natural improvement will come as weeks go by. With the Dogs next, Lions afterwards, then the Demons, I think this is a good run of games for us to properly assess the progress of Big Ben

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Can Ben Griffiths fill the hole in Richmond's attack? ....... (Age)
« Reply #2456 on: April 10, 2015, 09:37:17 PM »
Can Ben Griffiths fill the hole in Richmond's attack?

Garry Lyon
     The Age
    April 10, 2015 - 12:50PM

Richmond aren't going to seriously contend for a premiership unless they provide Jack Riewoldt with a legitimate, tall, key-position running mate in the forward half of the ground.

Damien Hardwick has tried to share the scoring load as best he can, given the resources at his disposal, to the point that Riewoldt has spent increasing amounts of time as anything but their focal point when they go forward.

But, as was proved again in the opening round of the season, Jack is at his most dangerous when he is roaming the forward 50 and hitting the scoreboard. The fact that he got support from Sam Lloyd was encouraging, and Trent Cotchin, Brett Deledio, Shane Edwards and Dustin Martin will all make meaningful contributions along the way, but the most encouraging sign to come out of the win over Carlton was the continued emergence of Ben Griffiths as the partner in crime Riewoldt, and Richmond, so desperately crave.

It's fair to say Griffiths hasn't exploded on to the scene in the manner of Jeremy Cameron, Buddy Franklin or Jarryd Roughead. He has had issues with injuries and consistency, and has oscillated between defence and attack, with cameo appearances in the ruck.

He has both teased and titillated as a footballer, who, at 200 centimetres and 101 kilograms, with athleticism and the ability to take pack marks and kick prodigious distances, would seem genetically predisposed to provide far more than he has delivered.

And that is a problem that many clubs have had to, and continue to, wrestle with when faced with decisions on key-position forwards who promise plenty but deliver below expectation.

The competition is littered with such players. Liam Jones, Levi Casboult, Rhys Stanley, Jesse White, Shaun McKernan, Shane Kersten, Josh Walker, Jack Fitzpatrick, Cameron Pederson, John Butcher, Tom Lee, Jarrad Grant,

Griffiths once sat in this pack and, to be honest, hasn't done enough to ensure that, after a quiet month, he won't be quickly reinstated. And there is some irony in the fact that while he maintains his position in the side, he is keeping Tyrone Vickery out, one of the poster boys for big forwards who, despite plenty of opportunity, haven't been able to marry potential with performance on a consistent basis.

Vickery has been supported at Richmond, yet there comes a time when a decision has to be made on just how long you persevere with someone in, admittedly the most difficult position to play, and when you look elsewhere.

The fact that so many of the above-mentioned players have been given another chance at a second AFL home tells you how desperate clubs are to fill this critical role. Carlton appear to have put their faith in Jones to become the player that he wasn't able to be at the Bulldogs. The reasonable question to be asked is why Jones couldn't maintain his position in a side, such as the Bulldogs, who were so bereft of key forwards.

Similarly, Collingwood continue to maintain hope that Jesse White can produce the consistency that will allow him to free Travis Cloke, a role that Quentin Lynch, another journeyman key forward, was unable to fulfil. Patience is a virtue, but it eventually runs out.

The promising thing for Richmond is that Griffiths' curve has been ever-so-steadily on the rise. Sixteen games last year and glimpses of what he is capable of. And last Thursday he built on that momentum and produced a three-goal performance that helped steer the Tigers out of a potentially sticky predicament.

What we await is whether Griffiths has arrived and is ready to make the centre half-forward position his own, or is he just visiting on the way through to mediocrity. Maybe with some continuity in his football, his best is yet to come.

He does have a presence as a key forward, and that is half the battle. It's not a Wayne Carey-like presence at the moment but it will build as his teammates gain more confidence in him, and perhaps he gains more confidence in himself.

Turning those spectacular "nearly" pack marks into contested one-on-one "clunks", swapping those "nearly" 60-metre bombs at goal into solid 45-metre conversions, exposing less mobile opponents by winning ground balls and getting involved in more scoring chains; these are the sort of acts from which presence grows.

One of the key narratives coming out of round one is that success and strong key forwards remain one of the game's non-negotiables. Taylor Walker slaughtered North, Jarryd Roughead followed up his five-goal grand final performance with another imposing display, Buddy and Kurt Tippett got rolling for the Swans when it mattered most, Jeremy Cameron kicked four goals for the Giants, Matthew Pavlich won the game for Freo and young Jesse Hogan helped the Demons to a rare first-round victory.

In Jack Riewoldt, the Tigers have one half of the puzzle well and truly covered. He is a star. In Ben Griffiths they have their best chance of producing a combination that may carry them beyond week one of September.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/can-ben-griffiths-fill-the-hole-in-richmonds-attack-20150410-1mi86g.html

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Can Ben Griffiths fill the hole in Richmond's attack? ....... (Age)
« Reply #2457 on: April 10, 2015, 09:46:00 PM »
Nothing in that article to disagree with.

No More

« Reply #2458 on: April 10, 2015, 10:10:52 PM »
Ben needs to make another statement tomorrow. 3 or 4 goals tomorrow and the confidence will really start to grow. Hope he nails them tomorrow.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2459 on: April 11, 2015, 12:45:54 AM »
Nothing in that article to disagree with.
agree smokey its almost exactly what ive been saying.
only thing i ve said different is we should have had more talls on the list and stopped hoping with the likes of vickery and griffiths. the planning or list management should have been with the view  these players are likely to fail  and as such if they did we werent going to start from scratch but had others already in our system.  i still think this needs to happen.