Author Topic: Ben Griffiths [merged]  (Read 455350 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Re: Ben Griffiths [merged]
« Reply #1170 on: December 18, 2013, 05:18:19 PM »
Make him do some ruck work even if it's only at training, at least then he'll have no choice but to learn to impose himself on a contest. It almost worked with Post but we didn't persist with it.

Then again, it didn't work with Angus Graham.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

the claw

« Reply #1171 on: December 18, 2013, 11:50:22 PM »
Riddle me this Claw: if we can't develop players, which is essentially what you have said in your last tree posts, then how do you explain our steady rise up the ladder under Hardwick? It can't be our recruiting because you think that's been poor too. So what's it been? Luck?
Three years improvement for RFC tells me that you have real problems 'developing' accurate opinions. You might want to think about an overhaul of your opinion development processes. 
Oh boy! Already having a go at Bean and saying Grimes has 'plateaued' when he has been out injured for the best part of two years.  :lol You're a hoot!
so what young players on our list have developed as we would wish.
arnot - 2011 - a sml mid has he developed adequately. 50/50 chance to be cut.
astbury - 2009. yep had injury but if he has a poor yr in 2014 theres every likely hood he will be cut. good chance to be cut still.
batchelor - 2010, bloody hell if anything hes gone backwards. he has deficiencies that will see him struggle. but its only my opinion. 50/50 chance to be cut imo.
chaplain - 2003/2012 certainly looks exactly the same player he was at port to me.
conca - pick 6 2010  3 yrs in where exactly do you expect these so called top echelon players to be at.
cotchin - pick 2  hes where he should be at for such a talented player. lets talk development with him though. if he has a weakness its really been his kicking have we improved that area.
darrou 2012 - well no high hopes here hes a rookie pick and hes managed to get a 3rd yr as a rookie. im asking though how have we developed him. needs to step up or hes gone.
dea - 2009   will concede he was a bit of a  long term development.  but after 4 yrs exactly what brilliant development have we put into him.  hes on thin ice.
derickx - spent 3 yrs with us and did what. where was the development.
a edwards - 2013 29yo  same player with us he was at north.
s edwards. - 2006  jeezuz  hes given probably 2 seasons at the utmost of decent footy the same problems return to bite us every time.
ellis -  2011 - sml player who  has progressed okay.  a solidly built 1st rounder  who was going to play early. is his development any better than any other clubs? or is it nothing more than  where it should be .
elton - 2011. a kppwho should take time. but where is he at what edevelopment has there been to even suggest its worth mentioning.
griffiths - 2009  well again a pick 19 and hes done exactly what.
grigg - 2007/2010  a mature recruit. hes exactly the same player with us as he was with carlton.
grimes - 2010 really what development. yeah hes had more than his fair share of injuries which doesnt help. but where has this one dimensional skinny tall defender developed.
helbig - 2010 another whos had injury. despite the injury his development has been that good hes lucky to still bo on the list.
houli - 2006/ 2011psd. please tell me what deficiencies have improved since hes been at richmond.  hes almost the exact same player we got from essendon.
jackson 2003  geez a player who has taken 10 yrs to learn to play within his limitations and even then we ask will he revet back to normal.
king 2007  mature recruit who is still the same player he was when we got him what weaknesses has he overcome.
knights - 2004/2012 played good footy at the crows but injuries kept on hitting. same at richmond. what development can we claim.
maric -  2004/2011 we got him as a 26yo  he was devolped. he just needed opportunity.
martin - 2009 pick 3 ready to go player  who straight away played at a good standard. he  is slowly developing his game and overcoming his weaknesses. development or just raw talent.
mcbean - 2012 well we will see how he develops and what he turns into.  bit rich to claim we have developed anything.
mcdonough - 2012  see mcbean.
mcintosh - see mcbean.
morris - 2011 24yo ready to go recruit. we all love and his attack on the ball him but to claim development he needs to improve some basic areas of his game.he does have his knockers.
nahas - 2009 yep in his 5 yrs he really developed didnt he not. those basics that we talk about with so many on our list just came back and bit us. development pppffft.
ohanlon - 2012 psd hes done what to date . what development has occured to suggest hes improved enough to even be kept.
vickery - well again what development 6 yrs in and hes developed into what exactly. not a ruckman thats for sure.

cmon i cant be bothered going on it seems to me the only players that have really improved in the main  and thus developed are the first rounders we have taken. is that development or just an indicator of the talent they have and where we took em.

cmon show me players outside of those first rounders and ready to go mature recruits  who have truly developed and improved.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1172 on: December 19, 2013, 01:14:15 AM »
Agree in the main claw,

but the ones that have improved Houli, Maric, Grigg as well as Jackson and some others you've put excuses down for why the club shouldn't get credit.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1173 on: December 19, 2013, 03:07:44 AM »
Riddle me this Claw: if we can't develop players, which is essentially what you have said in your last tree posts, then how do you explain our steady rise up the ladder under Hardwick? It can't be our recruiting because you think that's been poor too. So what's it been? Luck?
Three years improvement for RFC tells me that you have real problems 'developing' accurate opinions. You might want to think about an overhaul of your opinion development processes. 
Oh boy! Already having a go at Bean and saying Grimes has 'plateaued' when he has been out injured for the best part of two years.  :lol You're a hoot!
astbury - 2009. yep had injury but if he has a poor yr in 2014 theres every likely hood he will be cut. good chance to be cut still.
batchelor - 2010, bloody hell if anything hes gone backwards. he has deficiencies that will see him struggle. but its only my opinion. 50/50 chance to be cut imo.
chaplain - 2003/2012 certainly looks exactly the same player he was at port to me.
conca - pick 6 2010  3 yrs in where exactly do you expect these so called top echelon players to be at.
cotchin - pick 2  hes where he should be at for such a talented player. lets talk development with him though. if he has a weakness its really been his kicking have we improved that area.
darrou 2012 - well no high hopes here hes a rookie pick and hes managed to get a 3rd yr as a rookie. im asking though how have we developed him. needs to step up or hes gone.
dea - 2009   will concede he was a bit of a  long term development.  but after 4 yrs exactly what :gotigerso brilliant development have we put into him.  hes on thin ice.
s edwards. - 2006  jeezuz  hes given probably 2 seasons at the utmost of decent footy the same problems return to bite us every time.
ellis -  2011 - sml player who  has progressed okay.  a solidly built 1st rounder  who was going to play early. is his development any better than any other clubs? or is it nothing more than  where it should be .
elton - 2011. a kppwho should take time. but where is he at what edevelopment has there been to even suggest its worth mentioning.
grigg - 2007/2010  a mature recruit. hes exactly the same player with us as he was with carlton.
grimes - 2010 really what development. yeah hes had more than his fair share of injuries which doesnt help. but where has this one dimensional skinny tall defender developed.
helbig - 2010 another whos had injury. despite the injury his development has been that good hes lucky to still bo on the list.
houli - 2006/ 2011psd. please tell me what deficiencies have improved since hes been at richmond.  hes almost the exact same player we got from essendon.
jackson 2003  geez a player who has taken 10 yrs to learn to play within his limitations and even then we ask will he revet back to normal.
king 2007  mature recruit who is still the same player he was when we got him what weaknesses has he overcome.
knights - 2004/2012 played good footy at the crows but injuries kept on hitting. same at richmond. what development can we claim.
maric -  2004/2011 we got him as a 26yo  he was devolped. he just needed opportunity.
martin - 2009 pick 3 ready to go player  who straight away played at a good standard. he  is slowly developing his game and overcoming his weaknesses. development or just raw talent.
mcbean - 2012 well we will see how he develops and what he turns into.  bit rich to claim we have developed anything.
mcintosh - see mcbean.
morris - 2011 24yo ready to go recruit. we all love and his attack on the ball him but to claim development he needs to improve some basic areas of his game.he does have his knockers.
nahas - 2009 yep in his 5 yrs he really developed didnt he not. those basics that we talk about with so many on our list just came back and bit us. development pppffft.
ohanlon - 2012 psd hes done what to date . what development has occured to suggest hes improved enough to even be kept.
vickery - well again what development 6 yrs in and hes developed into what exactly. not a ruckman thats for sure.

cmon i cant be bothered going on it seems to me the only players that have really improved in the main  and thus developed are the first rounders we have taken. is that development or just an indicator of the talent they have and where we took em.

cmon show me players outside of those first rounders and ready to go mature recruits  who have truly developed and improved.
The club hasn't been in a position to develop players and this has been duly recognized. Benny is now putting in place new structures to deal with this problem. The stand alone VFL team and more coaching are good examples.
We have been down the bottom for 32 years for many reasons. Player development is one of the main ones.
So far we have:
1. Redeveloped the training facilities at PRO
2. Resurfaced the ground.
3. Hired new fitness staff
4. Hired many new assistant coaches including Mark Williams
5. Hired an experienced recruiting officer that worked with one of the best for many years.
6. Created a standalone reserves team

Now this means the club is doing everything it possibly can to fast track success.

What else claw? Now that they have got their finances under control, don't you think they are making strides in the right direction?
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1174 on: December 19, 2013, 10:23:14 AM »
Didn't I see an article suggesting we had improved our recruiting out of sight recently

tony_montana

« Reply #1175 on: December 19, 2013, 01:01:01 PM »
dea - 2009   will concede he was a bit of a  long term development.  but after 4 yrs exactly what brilliant development have we put into him.  hes on thin ice.
mcintosh - see mcbean.

ok you win

we haven't developed a single player.

Seriously claw, you take a point that a fair few people (me included) by and large agree with you on and then stretch it to ridiculous proportions.  Give it a rest pal

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #1176 on: December 19, 2013, 01:24:16 PM »

Bit harsh on King, he has gone from Tim Fleming mk2 to a handy little player.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Gigantor

« Reply #1177 on: December 19, 2013, 03:37:45 PM »
Kingy has improved 10 fold since he arrived at the club...sad to see people not appreciating this.

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1178 on: December 20, 2013, 02:09:39 PM »
Kingy is my hero. he goes straight at the contest. He gives & he takes punches & crunches. Kicks goals & defends the inside 50. Gives 100% & he don't cringe to the media & he don't kiss the bosses ass. Wish a few others like Shane Edwards, Foley, Griffiths would learn something.

scrap what l said about Edwards & Foley. you cant teach Stupid  :santa

the claw

« Reply #1179 on: December 20, 2013, 10:02:30 PM »
dea - 2009   will concede he was a bit of a  long term development.  but after 4 yrs exactly what :gotigerso brilliant development have we put into him.  hes on thin ice.
mcintosh - see mcbean.

The club hasn't been in a position to develop players and this has been duly recognized. Benny is now putting in place new structures to deal with this problem. The stand alone VFL team and more coaching are good examples.
We have been down the bottom for 32 years for many reasons. Player development is one of the main ones.
So far we have:
5. Hired an experienced recruiting officer that worked with one of the best for many years.

Now this means the club is doing everything it possibly can to fast track success.

What else claw? Now that they have got their finances under control, don't you think they are making strides in the right direction?
i have never ever said we arent improving in a lot of areas.
the purpose of my post was to merely point out we dont have any current claim to development fame.  in fact our record would suggest we take players with as few deficiencies as possible because we have been so poor.

look if you draft turds you may well manage to put a high polish on the odd one  . but in the main if you keep on drafting those turds no matter how good your polish is and how hard you work at it the majority are just going to fail.

i for one would dearly love to know what the recruiting prosesses are and more importantly what the criteria are for drafting players.
i have always advocated and said you put the horse in front of the cart.  that is you first recruit really well and then you develop what you have. ive maintained for as long as i can remember that a poor kick at 18 will always be a poor kick. this skill never improves or very rarely. what does happen and  players can do is learn to operate within their limitations and team structures.  have too many players with basic limitations though and you get picked to pieces by skillful sides.
a poorly skilled player imo must bring some other really outstanding attribute to the table an attribute that your team probably lacks.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1180 on: December 21, 2013, 02:43:36 PM »
mcintosh - see mcbean.

So far we have:

i have never ever said we arent improving in a lot of areas.
the purpose of my post was to merely point out we dont have any current claim to development fame.  in fact our record would suggest we take players with as few deficiencies as possible because we have been so poor.

look if you draft turds you may well manage to put a high polish on the odd one  . but in the main if you keep on drafting those turds no matter how good your polish is and how hard you work at it the majority are just going to fail.

i for one would dearly love to know what the recruiting prosesses are and more importantly what the criteria are for drafting players.
i have always advocated and said you put the horse in front of the cart.  that is you first recruit really well and then you develop what you have. ive maintained for as long as i can remember that a poor kick at 18 will always be a poor kick. this skill never improves or very rarely. what does happen and  players can do is learn to operate within their limitations and team structures.  have too many players with basic limitations though and you get picked to pieces by skillful sides.
a poorly skilled player imo must bring some other really outstanding attribute to the table an attribute that your team probably lacks.
And all I've said is that we have made huge strides in the last 18 months to correct our past problems. Give the new system some time.  Give Gordon and Lioyd time to show if they were better choices than those chosen after them.  Nobody does things perfectly. We are not alone.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #1181 on: December 21, 2013, 09:59:07 PM »
He won't even get any opportunities in 2014. Might play 3 senior games max. Why give him a contract extension if his papers are already signed?

They're gone delist him at the end of 2014.
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1182 on: December 21, 2013, 10:35:24 PM »
who ben?

will be starting #18 player

aka plugger lockett

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1183 on: December 22, 2013, 02:05:00 PM »
Its a shame claw. I'm getting to a point where I just skim over your posts because they are like I'm reading another language. You have made some excellent points in the past but this constant negative attitude you have towards our players and recruiting is bs. We finished 5th. Our young players have and are improving. I don't care how you dress it up but we are a better side than we have been in decades. Could we be better - sure but credit where credit is due, we are doing well.

When I start to see a more balanced perspective from you claw I'll take more credence to your opinion. Until then I'll keep skimming until I grow tired of even this and stop reading your posts all together.  :(

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Ben Griffiths primed for form upgrade (RFC)
« Reply #1184 on: January 17, 2014, 02:56:34 AM »
VIDEO: Benny Griffiths interview ...

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2014-01-16/griffiths-caring-for-canines

---------------------------------------------------------

Griffiths primed for form upgrade

richmondfc.com.au 
January 16, 2014 8:51 PM

"I’ve done a lot of work with ‘Choc’ this pre-season, with extra contested sessions after training,” Griffiths said.

"My goal is to play every game (in 2014), and not just to play games and get through, but have a real impact for the team.

"I feel like this pre-season I’ve put myself in a pretty good position to do that.”

Read more and the full article here: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2014-01-16/griffiths-primed-for-form-upgrade-