Author Topic: Ben Griffiths [merged]  (Read 457800 times)

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
Re: Ben Griffiths [merged]
« Reply #1755 on: June 03, 2014, 05:17:48 PM »
Most Goals = Coleman = Best Forward

Keep it simple boys as it was a really simple question he asked

You're correct in the simple question.  I would of obviously not said Ben has been the best foward if I was using goals as the definition.

Ok I have probably had enough of arguments about who has been better as really they have all been pretty rubbish.  Let's hope we can have this argument again at the end of season when Jack has won the Coleman and Griff has taken the most contested marks. (As if either are going to happen the way we are playing. )
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1756 on: June 03, 2014, 10:04:45 PM »
I must be going to the wrong games each and every week
The reason we are at the bottom of the ladder is the insipid efforts of guys like Ben
Sorry he can't play at AFL
Goes ok in VFL level actually stars .his shoulders or any other injury doesn't seen to stop him there
Just maybe he has a heart condition  ;)

l will give him some of my Atenolol  ;D But he will have to get a TUE from ASADA as it is a banned substance in & out of comp. l can always borrow him my ASADA letter & card & put his name on it  ;D

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #1757 on: June 03, 2014, 11:26:32 PM »
Kid is better than Vickery hands down. More upside too. :thumbsup

Jackstar is back!!!

« Reply #1758 on: June 04, 2014, 05:53:21 AM »
Neither are any good
McBean will take there position
Just a matter of time

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1759 on: June 04, 2014, 08:03:04 AM »
Neither are any good
McBean will take there position
Just a matter of time

From the games I have seen McBean will be a very good player but he need more time because we cant replace a big forward who takes marks with a 200cm player who plays like a flanker. When he puts some size on and starts taking contested marks will be the time he should come into the team and play. He will end up being a great player.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1760 on: June 04, 2014, 08:33:43 AM »
we cant replace a big forward who takes marks with a 200cm player who plays like a flanker.

This.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1761 on: June 04, 2014, 09:59:02 AM »
Griffiths has been Ok before Saturdays game. Wasnt he second in the league for contested marks before last week? You dont get that spudding it up, and take into account how many games he has played....

But where has Griffiths been taking these marks?

Around the ground, particularly dropping back into defence, while rucking, or when in the forward 50?

Then on the weekend we bring back Maric and he plays predominately as a forward and stinks it up ( Lack of supply didnt help )

Then, as has been pointed out, when hampson was subbed and he got to play on the ball he started to get involved in the game a bit.

No coincidence to me.

The notion of playing him at CHB has a bit merit to it, with perhaps the added bonus that it may help alleviate the situation where Chaplin stands by and watches Dea trying to spoil 200cm+ opposition forwards.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1762 on: June 04, 2014, 02:39:26 PM »
Said 4 weeks ago he can't play and never will
So you wait until he plays a howler to post this? I could legitimately say nobody can play on our list after Saturday and it would be hard for anyone to argue!

Tell me in the past 4 years what has he done
He has played only 28 games. He is only 22. He has has seriously big shoulder operations that involved bone grafting.
They take a long time to come right.  This year his stats are very good for a KPP. The only thing he hasn't done is kick a lot of goals. Nobody said he is starring. The development curve is heading up. That's what we were all looking for. He has the skill set to be a very handy player. Just like all forwards he needs good delivery. That is more of an issue at our club than anything else. Our mids are poor and are getting destroyed.
Has Griff been our best forward this year? No need to give me the excuses why he hasn't been because I already gave them.
Just answer me that simple question.
One of our forwards is leading the Coleman the other one will get dropped this week for the second time in ten games.
I don't give excuses. I'm stating fact!!!!!
With the best forward question I hesitate to answer as how do you define "best forward"?
If its just goals kicked, he has not been the best forward.
If it is pressure acts by a KPP in the forward half, he has been our best.
If it is looked at in contested marking, he has been our best.
If it is flexibility (playing forward, back, ruck) he has been our best.

If you don't agree write down your definition and categories.
Thanks.

There  is only one statistic that surpasses the rest as forwards go ; goals

The Coleman is not for forward pressure acts, contested marks or whatever it is for goals

Jack by a couple of country miles

You would agree Grigg

Is the fifth best player / midfielder

This year. Cause he has the fifth most disposals

Online lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1763 on: June 04, 2014, 02:54:56 PM »
I think a forward should be judged in goals + direct goal assists (and to a lesser extent being part of a possession chain that leads to a goal).

With those 2 stats I think Jack is up there against the other forwards in the league. Benny G has a similar average with goal assists as JR but where I think the key difference is that his marks inside 50 aren't remotely close to Jack's and consequently this leads to less goals. I'm not saying this is benny G's fault because he also does the selfless thing of clearing the F50 and drawing his opponent with him so Jack is unobstructed (as opposed to TV who congests the F50).

Someone earlier mentioned that Ben needs to work on his offensive aspect of the game because he doesn't do a bad job in pressure acts, laying tackles etc. Just needs to run to spaces in a smarter way or back himself and use that cannon that other members of this forum have highlighted.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1764 on: June 04, 2014, 02:58:10 PM »
What about tackles and similar things

For many years coaches have crapped on about the importance of this

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1765 on: June 04, 2014, 07:04:19 PM »
Yes it's crap

I want goals

I forget the number that is required as a minimum per game per one of WATs crap threads, think it was 18 or so.

Not effn three or so to 3/4 qtr time plus some junk ones in the last qtr

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1766 on: June 05, 2014, 12:33:20 AM »
Richo was 197cm, Ben is 198cm.
Not much in it but just goes to show that Richo was a complete freak given his work rate when you compare the 2.
I don't think some of them get it these days how much work guys like Matthew had to do to win just one possession.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1767 on: June 05, 2014, 07:53:38 AM »
Said 4 weeks ago he can't play and never will
So you wait until he plays a howler to post this? I could legitimately say nobody can play on our list after Saturday and it would be hard for anyone to argue!

Tell me in the past 4 years what has he done
He has played only 28 games. He is only 22. He has has seriously big shoulder operations that involved bone grafting.
They take a long time to come right.  This year his stats are very good for a KPP. The only thing he hasn't done is kick a lot of goals. Nobody said he is starring. The development curve is heading up. That's what we were all looking for. He has the skill set to be a very handy player. Just like all forwards he needs good delivery. That is more of an issue at our club than anything else. Our mids are poor and are getting destroyed.
Has Griff been our best forward this year? No need to give me the excuses why he hasn't been because I already gave them.
Just answer me that simple question.
One of our forwards is leading the Coleman the other one will get dropped this week for the second time in ten games.
I don't give excuses. I'm stating fact!!!!!
With the best forward question I hesitate to answer as how do you define "best forward"?
If its just goals kicked, he has not been the best forward.
If it is pressure acts by a KPP in the forward half, he has been our best.
If it is looked at in contested marking, he has been our best.
If it is flexibility (playing forward, back, ruck) he has been our best.

If you don't agree write down your definition and categories.
Thanks.

There  is only one statistic that surpasses the rest as forwards go ; goals

The Coleman is not for forward pressure acts, contested marks or whatever it is for goals

Jack by a couple of country miles

You would agree Grigg

Is the fifth best player / midfielder

This year. Cause he has the fifth most disposals

No, what's the association or club award for the player with the most disposals

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1768 on: June 05, 2014, 02:18:42 PM »
If best forward= most goal s

I had assumed if your mind best mid = most possession

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1769 on: June 05, 2014, 04:49:42 PM »
If best forward= most goal s

I had assumed if your mind best mid = most possession

Nope the discussion was in regards to on what basis the AFL awards the best forward