Author Topic: Ben Griffiths [merged]  (Read 455318 times)

Gigantor

Re: Ben Griffiths [merged]
« Reply #1815 on: June 15, 2014, 04:53:51 PM »
Claw it appears we cannot develop key position players to save ourselves.I think we need to bite the bullet on this one and go out and get ourselves an established one

the claw

« Reply #1816 on: June 15, 2014, 05:26:28 PM »
Claw it appears we cannot develop key position players to save ourselves.I think we need to bite the bullet on this one and go out and get ourselves an established one
if we cant recruit and develop our own we may as well just shut up shop.  take a mature tall fwd if need be but for sure and certain we must look to find real quality in the nd.
look at the fwds and the way we have gone about it even with the talls we have.

vickery ruckman,  we now want him to be a permanent kpf. he aint the answer imo. would definately be looking to trade him.
mcbean ruckman. the club keep on saying we have taken him as a long term ruckman. we currently develop him fwd because i presume of size issues.
riewoldt chf,  he is really the only pure tall fwd we have.
griffiths 200cm f/f cum ruckman. was originally a f/f and pure fwd.  struggles big time fwd and now we try him as a fwd/ruck. i have to ask once again how many 200cm players have become good kpfs.
 elton fwd/ruck. hes  a fwd who can pinch hit in the ruck. hasnt done a lot to date. has nice hands.

we desperately need to find a few outside of riewoldt who we can categorically say will be good to very good tall fwd options. if that means in the short term we load up with 7 or 8 tall fwds allowing for a good percentage of failures  so be it. we just have not ever done this and we wonder why we cant find good kpps.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1817 on: June 15, 2014, 07:16:25 PM »
I think the harsh reality about Ben Griffiths is he isn't very good. We all want him to be but.....
He is tall and strong and can kick the footy a long way but he doesn't have the desire to make it as a decent AFL footballer.
The club finally realized it with J. Post a few years back and I recon they will with Ben at the end of this year.
I personally think Post was a better footballer the Ben.
This game is tough, Ben Griffiths just doesn't have what it takes IMO.

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1818 on: June 15, 2014, 07:55:46 PM »
I think the harsh reality about Ben Griffiths is he isn't very good. We all want him to be but.....
He is tall and strong and can kick the footy a long way but he doesn't have the desire to make it as a decent AFL footballer.
The club finally realized it with J. Post a few years back and I recon they will with Ben at the end of this year.

Agree eight posts are enough

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1819 on: June 15, 2014, 07:57:36 PM »
Should be played as a Ruck/Forward rather than a forward with a little bit of ruck.  Would rather him than Hampson currently as at least Griff can kick and can take a grab.
It seems that he needs to be in the game and doesn't do well with long stints in the forward line with the ball not coming down or coming down haphazardly.

I agree he needs to show more intensity but earlier this year he had shown improvement.  A player that plays better with good players around him.  Would be a star at Hawthorn.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1820 on: June 15, 2014, 08:01:21 PM »

Agree eight words are usually enough for me.

efa
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #1821 on: June 15, 2014, 08:04:01 PM »
I'm not convinced he has what it takes to be a good big man at afl,level, looks pretty good at times at vfl, then gets elevated and has his normal paltry 3-4 touches , picks and chooses his contests rather than steam roll ea pack
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1822 on: June 15, 2014, 08:07:12 PM »
I'm not convinced he has what it takes to be a good big man at afl,level, looks pretty good at times at vfl, then gets elevated and has his normal paltry 3-4 touches , picks and chooses his contests rather than steam roll ea pack
I really think that that is purely a confidence thing.  We mustn't forget he has been in and out of the team and even though he has been there 4 years has only played around 30 games.
Last couple of games he has been poor but prior to that was doing ok.  Hard to rack up possessions in a forward line not seeing the ball and when it finally does come in they almost always look for Jack.

Jackstar is back!!!

« Reply #1823 on: June 15, 2014, 08:11:35 PM »
Not going to waste my time commenting on Ben anymore

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1824 on: June 15, 2014, 09:21:37 PM »
Will it be Sydney or Port that make a player of him?

Online Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #1825 on: June 15, 2014, 09:24:40 PM »
Not going to waste my time commenting on Ben anymore

Good decision, I'd stick to bagging Miles if I were you ;D

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1826 on: June 15, 2014, 09:33:21 PM »
Reports are he s holding out on re signing a contract with RFC with a bit of interest about from rivals  :shh

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1827 on: June 15, 2014, 09:37:04 PM »
Reports are he s holding out on re signing a contract with RFC with a bit of interest about from rivals  :shh
If this is true, what do rival teams see in him that many here do not?

I certainly can see it.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1828 on: June 15, 2014, 09:40:13 PM »
If this is true, what do rival teams see in him that many here do not?

I certainly can see it.
My guess is given the career about face turnarounds of sarge and matt white at another level, clubs will all be thinking sheesh , the only way is up after a stint at tigerland, I think most would be amazed at the interest griff and particularly Tv would generate. Vickery is very agile, most would see him as a permanent ruck

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #1829 on: June 15, 2014, 10:05:34 PM »
Would both be restricted FA's?

Take what we can for both and bring in some big blokes with mongrel.