Author Topic: Ben Griffiths [merged]  (Read 457785 times)

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Ben Griffiths [merged]
« Reply #2085 on: August 18, 2014, 07:44:38 PM »
6 month contract and a kick up the ass as well

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #2086 on: August 18, 2014, 07:52:40 PM »
The bloke is just about to ripen FFS.  :banghead
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2087 on: August 18, 2014, 07:53:21 PM »
because we have 3 ruck fwds im happy to see one of em traded and atm that one is griffiths because hes uncontracted. overall mcbean is safe because hes a junior. but vickery and griffiths imo have been very ordinary for the greater part of their careers. id shop one of em around and if a club was silly enought to offer a top 15 pick id grab it gleefully.

22 years old, just starting to click after 4 years development and you'd trade Griff for a pick around the mark we selected him at?
Madness.
Thought you might have learned something after Schulz. Evidently not.
Let's be honest the comparison should with Schulz it should be against Cleve Hughes. Schulz always had the ability, he just needed to work harder.
Griff has shown about as much as Cleve did to date. Let's not keep every KPF just because one came good after he left us.
My point is he has done sweet FA so don't reward that with a big contract. Give him 1 years and if he is any good and earns a better contract then all good for all. And if he wants to walk then all good too, we might get a decent pick for him.
TBH I can't remember Cleve playing like Ben has in the last two weeks.  Cleve was a totally different player. He was purely a lead up forward. Nowhere near as versatile as Ben. Did Cleve play in the ruck and down back?  I seriously can only remember him in the forward zone.
What has versatility got to do with anything? It's about output!  :banghead
Cleave was a KPF and so is Griff.
Cleave kicked about 6 or 7 in game against Port one day, Biff cannot even get in our best players.
Versatility has a lot to do with it. How can you say that Cleve kicked 6 or 7 in one game while Griff has rarely played in that role. You cannot kick 7 from the backline (2012) and it's pretty hard to do when 80% of the kicks into our forward line are directed to Jack.  Even Jack is finding it hard to kick more than 2 goals per game and all the kicks are going to him!!!!
The game has changed since Cleve played too. Forwards just don't kick big bags frequently anymore. Just look at the Coleman leaderboard and the average goals per game of the top players.
Griff contributes in other ways. He helped win the game on Saturday night. He kicked ten percent of our goals and the goal that put us in front was from a booming kick from the centre into the dangerous position at the top of the goal square where it made its way to Gordon who snapped truly.
You are clearly an intelligent man doing what you do but seriously you go on with a lot of crap. I'm sorry but I just shake my head at times at what you post. No offense  :shh
Anyone would think  Biff has been a star the way you are going on. Give it a rest man!
I don't think for one moment that he is a star. He shows signs that he can be an important player in our team.  I just think that at 22 his best years are ahead of him and he has more upside to him than so many we have kept for much longer.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2088 on: August 18, 2014, 08:15:22 PM »
I think big Benny is a little over rated ("a little?" I hear the craw saying  :rollin)
Not sure if there is a stat for how many contests a big man gets to but I'd love to understand how many marking contest Big Ben gets to in comparison to Nick Riewoldt.
He seems to operate in 2nd gear - an odd trait for a man in the last year of his contract in his 5th year on an afl list.
Looks the goods but where is the big break out streak of games?

Maybe he knows more about his contract status at another club than we do?
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

the claw

« Reply #2089 on: August 18, 2014, 08:16:04 PM »
most supporters are all chicken littles.
most can see we have to give up something to get something but steadfastly refuse to offer up a player who may become a decent player.a player who has some potential but has shown only the odd good sign here or there after 5 seasons.
people continually ignore his performances lock in on his potential and poo their pants at the thought of him becoming a decent player at another club. who gives a toss what he does at another club hes nothing but a means to an end to me.

me i couldnt give a toss if he stays or goes. his performances have been in the main lousy.whilst i would prefer to keep him over vickery that is not possible.i would happily trade him and our second rounder to carlton for theuir first rounder which would be a top 10 pick.the only trouble with trading for picks is i have little faith in our recruiters but i believe we need to go thru the process despite their lousy records.

we dont need 3 200cm ruck / fwds one is expendable, what we need is a genuine power fwd, a jtall agile gunston type  and a high quality super quick crumbing sml fwd. we also need a replacement combative ruckman for ivan in our system.

its unbelievable people scared of losing an  under performing player because they may one day become a good player.   seems most have not learnt a thing about what this club has got so wrong for so many yrs on end. no wonder edwards king newman and so so many others have played so many games for us for so little return.

me i want a decent pick to actually address a serious list deficiency we have 3 players who can never ever play in the same team ffs playing two of them is fraught with danger. one of em is expendable take your pick i really dont care which one goes my preference would be to foist vickery onto some unsuspecting club. but hey the chicken littles around here dont want to lose him either in fact they dont want to lose anyone who has some sort of worth. as long as they show some sort of potential all is good. its laughable.

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #2090 on: August 18, 2014, 08:17:36 PM »
most can see we have to give up something to get something but steadfastly refuse to offer up a player who may become a decent player.a player who has some potential but has shown only the odd good sign here or there after 5 seasons.
people continually ignore his performances lock in on his potential and poo their pants at the thought of him becoming a decent player at another club. who gives a toss what he does at another club hes nothing but a means to an end to me.

me i couldnt give a toss if he stays or goes. his performances have been in the main lousy.whilst i would prefer to keep him over vickery that is not possible.i would happily trade him and our second rounder to carlton for theuir first rounder which would be a top 10 pick.the only trouble with trading for picks is i have little faith in our recruiters but i believe we need to go thru the process despite their lousy records.

we dont need 3 200cm ruck / fwds one is expendable, what we need is a genuine power fwd, a jtall agile gunston type  and a high quality super quick crumbing sml fwd. we also need a replacement combative ruckman for ivan in our system.

its unbelievable people scared of losing an  under performing player because they may one day become a good player.   seems most have not learnt a thing about what this club has got so wrong for so many yrs on end. no wonder edwards king newman and so so many others have played so many games for us for so little return.

me i want a decent pick to actually address a serious list deficiency we have 3 players who can never ever play in the same team ffs playing two of them is fraught with danger. one of em is expendable take your pick i really dont care which one goes my preference would be to foist vickery onto some unsuspecting club. but hey the chicken littles around here dont want to lose him either in fact they dont want to lose anyone who has some sort of worth. as long as they show some sort of potential all is good. its laughable.
how was the footy Satdee night?
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2091 on: August 18, 2014, 08:19:44 PM »
I think big Benny is a little over rated ("a little?" I hear the craw saying  :rollin)
Not sure if there is a stat for how many contests a big man gets to but I'd love to understand how many marking contest Big Ben gets to in comparison to Nick Riewoldt.
He seems to operate in 2nd gear - an odd trait for a man in the last year of his contract in his 5th year on an afl list.

He can kick a 60 metre goal every half a season and that's plenty enough for me thank you kindly

the claw

« Reply #2092 on: August 18, 2014, 08:20:02 PM »
because we have 3 ruck fwds im happy to see one of em traded and atm that one is griffiths because hes uncontracted. overall mcbean is safe because hes a junior. but vickery and griffiths imo have been very ordinary for the greater part of their careers. id shop one of em around and if a club was silly enought to offer a top 15 pick id grab it gleefully.

22 years old, just starting to click after 4 years development and you'd trade Griff for a pick around the mark we selected him at?
Madness.
Let's be honest the comparison should with Schulz it should be against Cleve Hughes. Schulz always had the ability, he just needed to work harder.
Griff has shown about as much as Cleve did to date. Let's not keep every KPF just because one came good after he left us.
My point is he has done sweet FA so don't reward that with a big contract. Give him 1 years and if he is any good and earns a better contract then all good for all. And if he wants to walk then all good too, we might get a decent pick for him.
TBH I can't remember Cleve playing like Ben has in the last two weeks.  Cleve was a totally different player. He was purely a lead up forward. Nowhere near as versatile as Ben. Did Cleve play in the ruck and down back?  I seriously can only remember him in the forward zone.
Cleave kicked about 6 or 7 in game against Port one day, Biff cannot even get in our best players.
Versatility has a lot to do with it. How can you say that Cleve kicked 6 or 7 in one game while Griff has rarely played in that role. You cannot kick 7 from the backline (2012) and it's pretty hard to do when 80% of the kicks into our forward line are directed to Jack.  Even Jack is finding it hard to kick more than 2 goals per game and all the kicks are going to him!!!!
The game has changed since Cleve played too. Forwards just don't kick big bags frequently anymore. Just look at the Coleman leaderboard and the average goals per game of the top players.
Griff contributes in other ways. He helped win the game on Saturday night. He kicked ten percent of our goals and the goal that put us in front was from a booming kick from the centre into the dangerous position at the top of the goal square where it made its way to Gordon who snapped truly.
You are clearly an intelligent man doing what you do but seriously you go on with a lot of crap. I'm sorry but I just shake my head at times at what you post. No offense  :shh
Anyone would think  Biff has been a star the way you are going on. Give it a rest man!
I don't think for one moment that he is a star. He shows signs that he can be an important player in our team.  I just think that at 22 his best years are ahead of him and he has more upside to him than so many we have kept for much longer.
thing is with vickery and mcbean its not critical we keep him. for the very reasons you state makes him a tradeable commodity that would net us a very valuable pick.
for god sakes this situation is exactly what ive gone on about over the yrs. load up with tals load up with a particular type find 3 decent ones and trade one of em out for a very good pick. use that pick on a real need.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2093 on: August 18, 2014, 08:21:51 PM »

Madness.
thing is with vickery and mcbean its not critical we keep him. for the very reasons you state makes him a tradeable commodity that would net us a very valuable pick.
for god sakes this situation is exactly what ive gone on about over the yrs. load up with tals load up with a particular type find 3 decent ones and trade one of em out for a very good pick. use that pick on a real need.

So how was the footy

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2094 on: August 18, 2014, 08:23:02 PM »

Trouble is there is no guarantee that anyone we will pick up will be any better! You clearly cannot see any improvement in Griff.  Many here can. I'd rather trade Vickery TBH. He might even get you a better pick.
Also look at Melbourne.  They've had oodles of top ten picks.  Where the hell has it got them?
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2095 on: August 18, 2014, 08:27:37 PM »

He can kick a 60 metre goal every half a season and that's plenty enough for me thank you kindly

Right you are, hadn't thought about it that way. Play on.....
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

the claw

« Reply #2096 on: August 18, 2014, 08:42:48 PM »

Trouble is there is no guarantee that anyone we will pick up will be any better! You clearly cannot see any improvement in Griff.  Many here can. I'd rather trade Vickery TBH. He might even get you a better pick.
Also look at Melbourne.  They've had oodles of top ten picks.  Where the hell has it got them?
and theres no guarantee griffiths will improve in fact his record says its not likely to much if any. ffs there are no guarantees in footy mate just go ask jon patton. so with the melbourne comment what are you saying, lets not participate in the nd at all because theres no guarantees. ::)

yes hes improved a little this yr but hardly enough to warrant all the optimism in him.  hes gone from a permanently deplorable player to a player who plays the odd passable game with mostly very poor games still mixed in. hes no world beater in fact hes a battler to date who like many has potential.
its his potential and relative youth that sees him have currency in two yrs time if he continues in the same way that currency will be zilch.

ffs probably his best game for us at the weekend yet he found the ball just 11 times didnt manage a contested mark but in saying this i thought he played fairly well. can you see what im saying his best to date is pretty average and barely up to the standard. yet i could believe if i listened to posters on here that hes the next lockett lol.

look all im saying is we have more than enough of a particular type of player trade one out for a good  pick that then can be used to address a real list need.

Online torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #2097 on: August 18, 2014, 08:51:17 PM »

Who are the two players that are in the team that shouldn't be in, IYO?

If Griffiths was to be traded, 2nd round pick? What would you want to get for that?

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #2098 on: August 18, 2014, 09:13:02 PM »
I'd keep Griff over Vickery. Better mark, better contested mark, better kick and can ruck. :thumbsup

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2099 on: August 18, 2014, 09:43:11 PM »
I'd keep Griff over Vickery. Better mark, better contested mark, better kick and can ruck. :thumbsup

:yep
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S