Author Topic: Ben Griffiths [merged]  (Read 505336 times)

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Ben Griffiths [merged]
« Reply #2115 on: August 19, 2014, 09:42:16 AM »
He got 2 touches in round 12 against Nth, and then got rightly dropped.  :whistle

He was subbed out during the third term so didn't play an entire game at all.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2116 on: August 19, 2014, 11:24:54 AM »
He got 2 touches in round 12 against Nth, and then got rightly dropped.  :whistle

He was subbed out during the third term so didn't play an entire game at all.

Dang, right before he was about to explode

Rampstar

« Reply #2117 on: August 19, 2014, 12:50:44 PM »
Clawsy doesnt rate Griff but he hasnt rated Rance as well so for me Id like to see Griff stay. He has only played 30 games or something, for me 2 years on about $200k a year is fair enough for big bad Benny.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #2118 on: August 19, 2014, 02:31:14 PM »
Pick up Hampson then trade Griffiths.

L M A O
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2119 on: August 19, 2014, 02:59:33 PM »
Clawsy doesnt rate Griff but he hasnt rated Rance as well so for me Id like to see Griff stay. He has only played 30 games or something, for me 2 years on about $200k a year is fair enough for big bad Benny.

* still doesn't rate rance

Wants him replaced by rutten or  'rutten type

Online lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2120 on: August 19, 2014, 03:13:32 PM »
I was moved when I heard Rance's comments about Griffiths, how the players went to him we believe in you so now you have to believe in yourself.

I think a turning point could be in the 1st quarter when he backed himself to kick it from 60m out taking only 3 steps.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2121 on: August 19, 2014, 03:15:44 PM »
Dang, right before he was about to explode

Could have gotten us over the line against North. Pretty even when he went off, we ended up losing by 4 goals. ;D

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2122 on: August 19, 2014, 06:19:30 PM »
I wouldn't lose any sleep if we got a decent return for him because unfortunately I don't see him making it. Has a lot of weapons but doesn't seem like he'll put it all together.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2123 on: August 19, 2014, 06:45:35 PM »
I wouldn't lose any sleep if we got a decent return for him because unfortunately I don't see him making it. Has a lot of weapons but doesn't seem like he'll put it all together.
I know claw and bt also say that, but many of us rightly or wrongly think he is on the verge of being a more than handy player for us.
I look back this year and note that he has been able to lift and save the side a few times, a quality that often gets ignored. Whilst his overall numbers are low, just think about the quality of his work.

Round 2. Match saving mark in the backline with 34 seconds left in the last quarter. Ball goes forward from his booming kick and Dusty seals it.
Round 3. Kicks a goal in the last quarter from 55m on the boundary line to put us within a kick under enormous pressure.
Round 20. Takes some great down the line marks to relieve pressure. Great half volley pick up and give off almost unheard of for a 200cm player.  Passes the ball importantly to Maric to seal the win.
Round 21. Apart from his 65m goal his booming kick from the centre sets up Gordon to put us in from.  Another crunch time piece of play that helps us win.

Sure they are not huge in number, but for all the posters who bag disposals that are nothing disposals like little hand passes or kicks back and forth, those disposals or marks occurred at times when we needed someone to stand up.  That fact Griff could stand and deliver makes him more valuable than just his numbers suggest.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2124 on: August 19, 2014, 06:53:39 PM »
not naming names but nearly half of those who played on saturday night i would be looking to upgrade on over the next 3 yrs.
depending on pick and whos available id want to address any of,   power kpf/tallfwd, kpd,  real big inside mid, outside mid, sml med running defender sml/med classy quick  fwd. . combative ruckman. we lack depth imo in too many areas. what we do have is three 200cm fwd/rucks with no chance in the world of playing them all together yet alone playing 2 together.

heres a question for you how many do we need.

FF/  #### - Riewoldt 195cm/92kg - griffiths 200/202
HF/  #### - vickery 200/98 - mcbean 202/93 eventually 100kg

fair dinkum it aint going to happen ever.
even if you take out mcbean it is too top heavy and cumbersome.

now here is the sort of fwd structure id like for us to use. this is all about structure  player type and player dimensions if you like..  this is what id be chasing in up coming drafts  the next 2 or 3 yrs.

FF/  #### -  cloke 196/108 - gunston 193/85
hf/ ####  -  roughhead  193/100 - ####
R/ MARIC 200CM/ 102 BIG TOUGH COMBATIVE RUCKMAN
INT/  RYDER  197/92 MORE A RUCK ROVER BUT YOU DONT LOSE ANYTHING WHEN HE RUCKS. CAN GO FWD AND CAN COVER FOR INJURY THRU A GAME.

now i can think of a good junior prospect for each of these positions fairly early in the draft.

Gunston rarely plays in the pocket.
That is the spot that Clarkson uses for the resting ruckman - you know like a Griffith.
In the past it has been largely Hale but this year he has also used McEvoy and Ceglar as that ruck/forward.

"fair dinkum it aint going to happen ever.
even if you take out mcbean it is too top heavy and cumbersome"

Seemed to work pretty well for the Hawks last year when they won the premiership with Roughead, Hale, Franklin and Gunston all playing forward.
But you think that, taking our McBean, it is too top heavy and cumbersome even with only Riewoldt, Griffith and Vickery.

Edit: Sorry Judge.
My initial failed first post canvassed the same topics before I reposted. 

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2125 on: August 19, 2014, 07:04:17 PM »
Grand final winning:

Franklin
Roughed
Gunston
Hale
Bailey

I am fairly sure there were times four of them were in the same forward line

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2126 on: August 19, 2014, 08:28:30 PM »
I know claw and bt also say that, but many of us rightly or wrongly think he is on the verge of being a more than handy player for us.
I look back this year and note that he has been able to lift and save the side a few times, a quality that often gets ignored. Whilst his overall numbers are low, just think about the quality of his work.

Round 2. Match saving mark in the backline with 34 seconds left in the last quarter. Ball goes forward from his booming kick and Dusty seals it.
Round 3. Kicks a goal in the last quarter from 55m on the boundary line to put us within a kick under enormous pressure.
Round 20. Takes some great down the line marks to relieve pressure. Great half volley pick up and give off almost unheard of for a 200cm player.  Passes the ball importantly to Maric to seal the win.
Round 21. Apart from his 65m goal his booming kick from the centre sets up Gordon to put us in from.  Another crunch time piece of play that helps us win.

Sure they are not huge in number, but for all the posters who bag disposals that are nothing disposals like little hand passes or kicks back and forth, those disposals or marks occurred at times when we needed someone to stand up.  That fact Griff could stand and deliver makes him more valuable than just his numbers suggest.

I believe it was his effort that set up either our last or second last goal (the one he didn't kick that resulted in Gordons goal) to seal the game and it's part of the reason I would keep him if we couldn't get anything decent for him, but he did start the year off well and died back down again and that's a concerning factor because will that happen again because as others said his games have only been passable - solid but I wouldn't call them good. FWIW I reckon the comparing him to Vickery and Bean are a bit unfair as they seem more of a deep forward who would swap into the ruck whereas Griff can cover the ground well and take down the line marks playing as a CHF, which we don't have any players that can do.

dwaino

« Reply #2127 on: August 19, 2014, 08:30:48 PM »
Removing the sub, returning to 4 on the bench but with limited rotations, could we afford to take an extra tall into games?

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2128 on: August 19, 2014, 09:20:00 PM »
Removing the sub, returning to 4 on the bench but with limited rotations, could we afford to take an extra tall into games?

A good one yes a bad one no

the claw

« Reply #2129 on: August 20, 2014, 09:21:59 AM »
wrong again. ive argued pretty strongly over a few areas of rances game. ive never ever called for his head just that he be given more a third tall rebounding role and we go out and find a player capable of always competing one v one against the bigger blokes.
i rated rance enough to want us to take him at pick 18 in his draft yr. the debate for me has been the role we have him play. i still have issues but am happy to admit he is getting better in them.

my comments on griffiths are mostly based on his actual performances and out put which is very poor if we are honest with our selves. like most i see the potential yet i see potential in most players. at the end of the day they live or die by what they can consistently do on the footy field.
unlike rance  i have been  happy to see us  trade griffiths out  and ive given good reasons i think. personally id rather trade vickery but hes contracted but the club love him and it wont happen.