Author Topic: Ben Griffiths [merged]  (Read 455319 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Ben Griffiths [merged]
« Reply #2400 on: March 23, 2015, 01:56:23 PM »
Griffiths' interview post-match yesterday ....

VIDEO: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2015-03-22/preseason-round-3-griffiths-postmatch

* It was really good to get back out there and have a really good hit-out. I thought I moved pretty well. I got my hands on it a lot, I was just that last sort of one percent, I just needed to clunk them.  But I was really pleased with getting to the contest and getting my hands on it a bit.  I just need to kick some more goals. I started to slow down towards the end, but expected that, being the first game I’ve really had in a while.  So, took some positives out of it.  I just need to finish my work and hopefully I can put a really good foot forward for Round 1.

Full article: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2015-03-23/big-bens-timely-display

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2401 on: March 23, 2015, 04:27:09 PM »
If he clunked the ones he should have and kicked more accurately he would of been in for a big haul

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2402 on: April 02, 2015, 08:19:24 AM »
High hopes for him this year has to take the next step now more involvement looks lean and fitter.

No More

« Reply #2403 on: April 02, 2015, 09:56:17 AM »
wouldn't be surprised if he kicks 4 sausage rolls tonight  :thumbsup

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2404 on: April 02, 2015, 12:23:04 PM »
hmm what should we expect from this bloke on a consistent basis. anyone.

how many marks inside 50.
how many c/m and how many of em inside 50.
how many goals
how many 1%ers
how many tackles
how many crashed packs
how many h/o
how many disposals.

Online lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2405 on: April 02, 2015, 12:58:34 PM »
hmm what should we expect from this bloke on a consistent basis. anyone.

how many marks inside 50.
how many c/m and how many of em inside 50.
how many goals
how many 1%ers
how many tackles
how many crashed packs
how many h/o
how many disposals.

That all depends on how many goals he kicks. If he say kicks 10 goals, I wouldn't care if he only had 10 disposals, 10 marks (contested or uncontested).

Of course if he kicks no goals you would want him to influence the game more.

Franklin last year averaged 3.6 goals with 17 disposals  and 3 tackles. He didn't ruck at all though but did take 2.3 contested marks and almost had a goal assist a game.
When Matthew Pavlich became AA-CHF in 2005, he averaged 3 goals also but 17 disposals, 1.1 tackles. I couldn't retrieve data on goal assists and contesteted marks though.

Is Benny G going to be in AA CHF form overnight? No. But seeing as we need a second forward option ASAP, I'd be happy with him helping out JR with 2-3 goals and taking the clutch marks in CHB or CHF.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2406 on: April 02, 2015, 03:13:33 PM »
If he kicked 5 goals and had 5 disposals and 3 marks - is that good?  I would have thought so.

If he kicks no goals but has 20 disposals and 8 marks is that good?  I would have thought so too.

It just shows that if you don't contribute in one area then you must in another.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #2407 on: April 02, 2015, 03:36:24 PM »
I reckon Benny G will have a big year. He knows that Ty is maligned by many and he has a massive chance of being a big dog of the tiger faithful.
Go Tigers!

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2408 on: April 02, 2015, 05:51:49 PM »
If he kicked 5 goals and had 5 disposals and 3 marks - is that good?  I would have thought so.

If he kicks no goals but has 20 disposals and 8 marks is that good?  I would have thought so too.

It just shows that if you don't contribute in one area then you must in another.
not sure i agree you need to consistently contribute in all areas. take  vickery ave 2 goals a game last yr its about where you want your 2nd kpf to be. yet vickery copped plenty of criticism simply  because most other areas were not where they should be.does kicking a few cheap goals save your game??  not imo.

lets see griffiths kicks 5 of which 3 are sodas he makes little contribution in any other area imo hes had a poor game. they are not there just to kick goals.

your second scenario would mean a good game especially if 3 or 4 of those disposals result in team mates scoring. continually hitting packs and good work rate presenting etc chasing tackling have to be a part of a tall fwds game all the time. yep there will be games when they dont kick a goal and dont get much ball but these things means they contribute in a way.

riewoldt in the wider footy community isnt rtaed elite despite kicking 60 odd goals a yr for what 4 or 5 yrs in a row. hes not rated because a lot of games if you took the goals away he would be a spectator. imo there are some areas of jacks game that really need to improve.

our talls will have plenty of days where they wont kick goals, that wont matter if they have rounded games and contribute in areas they really should contribute in.

for me to call griffiths a good footballer the following needs to become the norm.

5 - 6 marks a game minimum. a 200cm bloke who is reliant at marking the ball for ben this has to happen.

15 disposals a game. not a big ask from a bloke who plays high fwd and is released  into the ruck. he needs to be more involved and he needs to become a constant reliable source to goal.its an area that he has to improve a fair bit.

1 - 2 c/m a game. stats would suggest this a big ask but imo its not, not for the second stringer who has the lesser key defenders on him. and hes got a bit of freedom and good runs at the ball when in the ruck.

2 goals a game he needs to boot around 40 - 45 a yr. id expect this from any kpf.

2 marks inside 50 a game. to give himself a chance at 2 goals a game this will have to happen.

h/o dependent on the time he spends in the ruck and the opponent. no reason why he cant take h/o in the 50m arc either  a good way of easing the load on ivan.

1% and tackles. hes actually pretty close to where he needs to be.  he does tackle, reckon he could hit a few more packs than he does, and he needs to block shepherd knock on the ball and present a bit more but not to bad to date. they are small things but are things that keep him in the game and making a contribution even if he doesnt get the ball.

he needs to do all this and more consistently. he has a long way to go in many of those areas.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2409 on: April 02, 2015, 10:08:04 PM »
had a decent first half i was praying he would maintain the standard but alas he dropped away again. has to find consistency thru games,

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2410 on: April 02, 2015, 10:16:28 PM »
Yep went missing, disappointing. Glad he jagged 3 but really should have been 4+.

Good signs though certainly not losing his spot to Vicks.

Offline Golfprotiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Risking Head and Shin
« Reply #2411 on: April 02, 2015, 10:39:33 PM »
In Griff we trust.........
Tommy Hafey - "There's nothing more tiger-ish than a bloody tiger, a wounded tiger''

dwaino

« Reply #2412 on: April 02, 2015, 10:40:41 PM »
Clunked a few. Already better than Ty.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2413 on: April 02, 2015, 10:49:42 PM »
Clunked a few. Already better than Ty.
thats not saying a lot now is it.
i still think he did his best work onball. he sure is a bastard to watch hes always tantalising and showing glimpses but he just cant put it together for a whole game. is he un fit because he just drops away is it an  aerobic problem.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #2414 on: April 02, 2015, 10:55:55 PM »
He's just stupid.
Like lids.
Caracella and Balmey.