Author Topic: Ben Griffiths [merged]  (Read 457587 times)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Ben Griffiths [merged]
« Reply #2550 on: May 09, 2015, 06:11:47 PM »
We need another tall and possibly two. The team structure is all wrong.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

tony_montana

« Reply #2551 on: May 09, 2015, 06:15:32 PM »
If you stop Big Benny Griffiths run at the footy for a mark he hasn't got much else. For a bloke that is 200cm and 100kg and has been on an AFL list for 6 years he isn't real strong when competing one on one for a mark. That also goes for his ruck work.
It will be interesting to see him this weekend on Hansen, Thompson, Firrito or even Tarrant, all guys that like body contact and take away your run at the footy.
Don't get me wrong I want this guy to succeed, it may not sound like it but I can see past the one big grab a week or the long goal. He needs to get involved more than he does for a player of his size and time on our list.
I'll be watching closely this weekend.
Yet you said Vickery is still young in another thread and we need to persevere with him! And he's been far more putrid than Griffiths this year. And Griffiths is a year younger....
I said Vickery was still young for a tall- I didn't say he was worth persevering with. Haven't said that for a while.
Vickery has only played one game this year too and it was putrid but Griff hasn't been much better.
If you read my post again I didn't  mention Tyrone, it was about Griff. Maybe comment on that?
If you stop his leap at the footy he struggles to take a mark one on one. Thoughts?
Griff has played quite a bit around the ground this year and has been ok. I have been to all our games this year and have watched him closely. When he went off at half time against Melbourne, the game changed significantly. He was creating all sorts of headaches for their backs. He just converted poorly which let them off the hook.  If you block Vickery's run at the ball you also take him out of the contest so I'm not sure what you are trying to say. This applies to many of the younger KPF's in the league until they work out how to use their bodies to get themselves back into the contest.
I've said many times that I would love both Vickery and Griffiths to succeed because that is vital to our success. They should be kicking the ball to one another and creating a chemistry between them.  The way Hardwick has set them up, he has them fighting for the same spot. This has become detrimental to both their development.
However, if you did a poll on who people think offers more between the two, I would be pretty certain that the vast majority would pick Griffiths.  You seem to be the poster that has the opposite view which is fine but you must apply the same rules to both.  I watched Vickery against Geelong and off the ball he was pathetic. No effort at all in running hard and creating options or putting any pressure on the opposition backs. The guy has the attributes to be a very good player but his lack of effort is why he is not getting a game.
Just got home from golf. How did your man go today?
How'd you hit them bt?
Played to my handicap which was pleasing considering the wind was up. Do you play?
I IQ'ed the game and will watch it later. Did you watch? Sounds like the same old same old!

Save yourself the perforated ulcer mate, was putrid.

Nice work playing to cap in todays conditions  :thumbsup yeah I play, member at growling frog, although haven't played much recently. If you ever want a hit out my way, give us a yell :thumbsup

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2552 on: May 09, 2015, 06:15:53 PM »
Was knocked out and subbed off very early.  Are you going to criticise him for that too?
I'll wait to see it first but he is a Marshmallow!
I just hope he misses next week too. McBean deserves his spot.

Happy for you to do a poll if that makes you happy to have people on your side.  :thumbsup

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2553 on: May 09, 2015, 06:19:59 PM »
Was knocked out and subbed off very early.  Are you going to criticise him for that too?

Happy for you to do a poll if that makes you happy to have people on your side.  :thumbsup
Don't need people on my side. If he is a marshmallow,  Vickery is one too. Just a lazier version that you seem to like. Neither have set the house on fire but the whole football world knows who has more upside. And it isn't Tyrone.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #2554 on: May 09, 2015, 06:22:38 PM »

Don't need people on my side. If he is a marshmallow,  Vickery is one too. Just a lazier version that you seem to like. Neither have set the house on fire but the whole football world knows who has more upside. And it isn't Tyrone.
They breed 'em tough at Punt road.  :rollin
This weeks training.... :pillowfight
The club that keeps giving.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2555 on: May 09, 2015, 07:34:05 PM »

Neither are very good mate. But comparing the two doesn't make Griff any better.
Would trade the both of them at years end. Along with Ellis, Conca, Grigg Houli, Batchelor and a few others..
If we could get picks in the late 20's to 30's for any of them I'd take it.
None of those players would get a regular game in a decent side.
Griff and Conca to WC for Darling would be the trade of the century.
Ellis and Vickery might get you pick a 25 odd and Conca maybe pick 30 odd.
Grigg, Houli and Batch a pick in the 40's maybe.
So we would have Darling, 5 picks in the first 30, and another 4 in the 40's. Surely a decent recruiter could do something pretty special with that.
Anyway mate the club has a fair bit of work to do. Only wish they had some balls to make some tough calls on players, coach and FJ.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2556 on: May 10, 2015, 12:01:08 AM »
Don't reckon his concussion today was the result of marshmellowing

Made a great contest and copped a whack.

Losing him stuffed us up completely, structure wise.

No chop out for Ivan, and Astbury as the 2nd tall forward who gave us nothing
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Zlatan

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2557 on: May 10, 2015, 12:26:26 AM »
yes. to be fair. he normally gets hurt doing the right thing

contesting the ball, or today chasing

a few of the other guys can take notes

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2558 on: May 10, 2015, 07:55:05 AM »
In all seriousness it didn't look like much. His face hit the Noths guys BACK. No cut, no blood and probably no bruise. How hard can someone's back be??  :whistle
As for Rance, has a head clash, huge amount of blood, gets patched up and is back on in 5 minutes.
I'm thinking Griff failed the concussion test not because he was concussed but because he is a dill.
 :cheers

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2559 on: May 10, 2015, 11:03:09 AM »

Neither are very good mate. But comparing the two doesn't make Griff any better.
Would trade the both of them at years end. Along with Ellis, Conca, Grigg Houli, Batchelor and a few others..
If we could get picks in the late 20's to 30's for any of them I'd take it.
None of those players would get a regular game in a decent side.
Griff and Conca to WC for Darling would be the trade of the century.
Ellis and Vickery might get you pick a 25 odd and Conca maybe pick 30 odd.
Grigg, Houli and Batch a pick in the 40's maybe.
So we would have Darling, 5 picks in the first 30, and another 4 in the 40's. Surely a decent recruiter could do something pretty special with that.
Anyway mate the club has a fair bit of work to do. Only wish they had some balls to make some tough calls on players, coach and FJ.

Those are terrible picks and even good recruiters would be lucky to get 3 good players from that

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2560 on: May 10, 2015, 11:04:54 AM »

Reckon if he didn't lose his feet originally it wouldn't of went down the way it did. Sick of our players falling over all the time.

Also, I thought Astbury looked okay as the 3rd tall. Not damaging but for someone out as much as him and his training being focused as a defender he lead up well. But as soon as he became the 2nd tall he went to poo

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2561 on: May 10, 2015, 11:13:19 AM »

Reckon if he didn't lose his feet originally it wouldn't of went down the way it did. Sick of our players falling over all the time.

Also, I thought Astbury looked okay as the 3rd tall. Not damaging but for someone out as much as him and his training being focused as a defender he lead up well. But as soon as he became the 2nd tall he went to poo

2nd, 3rd effort was in part his gut running to make the pcntest, horribly out numbered, grab by the jumper, not sure what showed up on the TV, but at the game it looks good.

Ashbury problem IMHO is he is far too slow not just by foot but slow decision making wise throw in constantly playing from behind doesn't help either

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2562 on: May 10, 2015, 11:33:20 AM »
Spare me, the bloke was giving his all and gets knocked out, but still not good enough , maybe he can kill himself next time so he can show love and respect for those who need someone to hate but I guess he knows they will find someone else to hate. That fat kid in the little league is looking for some haters last I heard -

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2563 on: May 10, 2015, 11:36:29 AM »

2nd, 3rd effort was in part his gut running to make the pcntest, horribly out numbered, grab by the jumper, not sure what showed up on the TV, but at the game it looks good.

Ashbury problem IMHO is he is far too slow not just by foot but slow decision making wise throw in constantly playing from behind doesn't help either

He did well to put the pressure on but he tried pushing a much smaller bloke off the ball and 1. didn't even do it and 2. fell over. So he had to resort to diving when he got collected and knocked out but if he was on his feet I doubt a much smaller man in Thomas wouldn't of got him head high and knocked him out

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2564 on: May 10, 2015, 12:44:52 PM »
Spare me, the bloke was giving his all and gets knocked out, but still not good enough , maybe he can kill himself next time so he can show love and respect for those who need someone to hate but I guess he knows they will find someone else to hate. That fat kid in the little league is looking for some haters last I heard -
He'd had 2 kicks in a quarter of footy mate, hardly giving his all. Get a grip!
Maybe we should just give him the McDonalds award for best trier and move on.
It's the AFL, he is not a kid and doesn't need your mothering.
You are aloud to question players and the club, both aren't doing that well to just be silent.