Author Topic: Ben Griffiths [merged]  (Read 457595 times)

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
Re: Ben Griffiths [merged]
« Reply #2580 on: May 10, 2015, 11:28:39 PM »
How the hell did he knock himself out by connecting with Lindsay "I'm a big bitch" Thomas. Sorry Griffo but that was just a little bit soft
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2581 on: May 11, 2015, 07:08:07 AM »
Sometimes the most innocuous blows can give you concussion. Some people on this forum are just plain ignorant on what this is all about.

Softness has NOTHING to do with it.

If the guy was jumping up and down and writhing in agony because someone slapped him, that would be "soft".

Just get your medical facts correct before you all make ridiculous comments.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2582 on: May 11, 2015, 07:12:24 AM »
Sometimes the most innocuous blows can give you concussion. Some people on this forum are just plain ignorant on what this is all about.

If the guy was jumping up and down and writhing in agony because someone slapped him, that would be "soft".

Got to say Doc, we were sitting up above the interchange area and coming off Griffiths looked in a very bad way. It was a nasty one no doubt. Even in the 3rd when he came back to the bench he looked shocking
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2583 on: May 11, 2015, 08:09:27 AM »

What medical facts are there Doc?
Don't use your position as a doctor to assume you know about every collision that happens the the footy field.
All I said it looked soft, and it does. Maybe we should do a poll as you need to feel more comfortable with people backing your opinion.   :thumbsup

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2584 on: May 11, 2015, 08:12:31 AM »

Got to say Doc, we were sitting up above the interchange area and coming off Griffiths looked in a very bad way. It was a nasty one no doubt. Even in the 3rd when he came back to the bench he looked shocking
He always looks like that WP.
Have you had a chance to look at it on TV? Innocuous is just a nice way of saying soft.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2585 on: May 11, 2015, 09:44:35 AM »

What medical facts are there Doc?
Don't use your position as a doctor to assume you know about every collision that happens the the footy field.
All I said it looked soft, and it does. Maybe we should do a poll as you need to feel more comfortable with people backing your opinion.   :thumbsup
"Concussion is a brain injury and is defined as a complex physiological process affecting the brain, induced by biomechanical forces. Concussion may be caused by either a direct or indirect blow to the head, face, neck or body causing an impulsive force transmitted to the head."
http://sma.org.au/resources-advice/concussion/

In other words you don't need a direct blow. You only need to have the force transmitted to the head which is what happened to Ben. Now big tone, I don't know what you do for a living, but I would hesitate to say you know a lot more than I do about your area of work. So don't pretend you know anything about neurology and neuroscience because you clearly do not. I am not using my position here to do anything but just state facts.
Concussion is still an area where we a increasing our knowledge. What we don't need is armchair experts saying players are "soft" when all they can see is a distorted view through a TV lens that does not give you a 360 degree view of the incident. Sorry but that is just bulldust.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 10:50:14 AM by YellowandBlackBlood »

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #2586 on: May 11, 2015, 10:38:22 AM »
Griffiths got hit under the chin area. If you do a search on the best place to hit someone to knock them out, it's under the chin/cheek area.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2587 on: May 11, 2015, 12:48:49 PM »
BT would probably drop like a sack of potatoes from a blow half the force of the one that concussed Griffiths.

It's like depression BT. There is no measuring stick, and presuming to know is just ignorant and insensitive.

Even Mike Tyson got concussed once by Buster Douglas. Only takes one perfectly placed hit, not even too hard.

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2588 on: May 11, 2015, 02:08:22 PM »
Unlucky, miles ahead of others when it comes to efforts and throwing himself around.

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #2589 on: May 11, 2015, 02:10:12 PM »

So he copped a broken nose, big deal, tape it up and play on
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2590 on: May 11, 2015, 02:30:27 PM »

Have you had a chance to look at it on TV? Innocuous is just a nice way of saying soft.
Lots of things look innocuous on BT by definition concussion can't be the result of an innocuous hit.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #2591 on: May 11, 2015, 02:39:14 PM »

So he copped a broken nose, big deal, tape it up and play on

A stiff breeze let alone a stiff arm would probably drop you on your arse and you probably cry whenever you break a nail....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2592 on: May 11, 2015, 02:47:38 PM »

Lots of things look innocuous on BT by definition concussion can't be the result of an innocuous hit.
Correct.  What looks innocuous really isn't.  That was my point.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2593 on: May 11, 2015, 03:29:01 PM »
seriously, calling someone soft because they have been knocked out.

FMD.

Perhaps you so called tuff guys could explain how ( and it is shown to be the case) that wearing a mouth guard can reduce the severity of concussion when taking a blow to the jaw if you think you need a solid blow to the head to cop brain injury

You clearly have no idea what you are on about and you dont understand what happens when knock to the head area happens. The medical profession itself is still catching up to just how much damage occurs to the brain from head knocks

It just purile vitriol to be condemning a player because he has been knocked out
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2594 on: May 11, 2015, 04:26:04 PM »
In fairness, he has been calling Griff soft long before this concussion