Author Topic: David Astbury [merged]  (Read 267207 times)

FooffooValve

Re: David Astbury - 150th game this week
« Reply #1170 on: July 06, 2021, 11:24:59 AM »
I'd like to see how he plays out the season before pronouncing him 'finished'. Achilles injuries can make you look slow and past it, but if he gets that right, he might have another year in him. He's been very dependable over the past few years.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1172 on: July 09, 2021, 12:34:04 AM »
Hats off to him he's been a stalwart for about 5 years in a backline with blokes that have allowed him to play well but within his limits.

Has made the most of his 150 games and has 3 medals to show for it. Good on you mate and thank you.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1173 on: July 10, 2021, 08:24:27 PM »
David Astbury on how his nickname 'Swoop' came about and his surprisingly detailed Wiki page, ahead of game 150.

https://twitter.com/BobandAndySEN/status/1413643126384648193

-------------------------------------

That 5 year period of injuries defined me - David Astbury

Richmond defender David Astbury shed some light into his career ahead of 150 games.

Source: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=850071

FooffooValve

« Reply #1174 on: August 17, 2021, 10:08:29 AM »
Dave has announced his retirement. Has been a fantastic triple premiership defender - thanks Dave!

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1175 on: August 17, 2021, 10:21:52 AM »
One of my favourite players started of slow with injuries , then looked like a rock played a big part in our flags.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1176 on: August 17, 2021, 10:24:29 AM »
All class Dave  :clapping

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #1177 on: August 17, 2021, 10:25:16 AM »
Cheers Dave!

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
David Astbury Retires
« Reply #1178 on: August 17, 2021, 10:30:21 AM »
Astbury calls time on 'absolute joy ride'

By Richmond Media - Just now

Veteran Richmond defender David Astbury has called time on his 154-game, 12-year AFL career.

Astbury, a triple premiership player, has been a key part of Richmond’s recent era of success as an important cog in the team’s first-choice back-line.

The 30-year-old said he was ready to move on from his 'absolute joy ride' of a football career.

“It really is a dream to be completely content with what my career consists of and be really proud of that,” he said.

“I am really humbled by the football club wanting to keep me around, but I know this decision is right for me and for the club going forward.

“I am so proud that I have fulfilled my career and my dream at one club, this club.

“People say it is just a game, and they have got a point. It is a game. But that is not the reason that you do it. This group has delivered hope, purpose, connection and joy to our people - the Richmond people. It is really special, and I am proud of that.”
Drafted No. 35 overall at the 2009 AFL National Draft, Astbury made his debut as a forward, booting a career-high three goals.

Injuries would then curtail the early parts of his career, as he managed just 24 senior games across a five-year span from 2011.

Astbury returned as a regular member of the team with 19 games in 2016 to finish 11th in the best and fairest.

The Tatyoon-product’s importance was underlined as his first uninterrupted campaign coincided with the Club’s drought-breaking 2017 premiership year.

Astbury played in all 25 games that year, averaging 15 disposals and six marks while often playing on the opposition's best tall forward.

Astbury again hardly missed through the successful 2018 (minor premiership) and 2019 (premiership) campaigns, playing in 22 games in each season.

The 195cm defender became a part of Tiger folklore in the 2019 Grand Final against GWS, holding his direct opponents to a single possession throughout the entire game.

Astbury would become one of 14 Richmond triple premiership players (2017-20) when he appeared in last year’s historic night Grand Final at the Gabba. After facing injuries throughout the year, the key defender played an important role throughout the finals series.

Off the field, Astbury has had a strong impact setting the Club’s culture. In 2020, Astbury received the David Mandie Community Award for his leadership and contributions throughout the Club and community.

The defender was particularly vocal and prominent in the playing group’s stance around the Black Lives Matter movement. He has held leadership roles throughout his time at the Club.

Astbury’s only coach in the AFL, Damien Hardwick, said that Astbury came into the organisation as an ‘incredible human’ but would leave an even better one and an all-time great of the football club.

“Dave is the epitome of the Richmond Man that we speak about all the time. The legacy that this man will leave is up there with the very best players at our footy club," Hardwick said.

“The legacy he leaves is one of selflessness and resilience. The man missed two years and has had 14 operations. Most people would have just given up. But not Dave Astbury.

“He has fought for 12 years for this footy club. He is one of the best Richmond Men I have ever seen.”

Astbury will line up for Richmond for the 155th and final time this Saturday against Hawthorn at the MCG.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1002713/astbury-calls-time-on-absolute-joy-ride-

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
Re: David Astbury Retires
« Reply #1179 on: August 17, 2021, 10:45:01 AM »
Well done David, congratulations and good luck.

Offline Gigantor

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1180 on: August 17, 2021, 10:45:06 AM »
Absolute legend … a true Richmond man

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1181 on: August 17, 2021, 10:48:50 AM »
What a great story, I honestly thought he played more than 155 games. 
Well done Dave.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1182 on: August 17, 2021, 11:21:57 AM »
Well done Dave. Good time to go, although I thought 1 more year as depth wasn't unreasonable. Thanks for the good times.

Changing of the guard. I hope Houli follows your example.

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1183 on: August 17, 2021, 12:32:08 PM »
Champion player and person is Dave. Incredible retirement speech and someone who can be very proud of their career :cheers

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond