Author Topic: David Astbury [merged]  (Read 263083 times)

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
Re: David Astbury Retires
« Reply #1200 on: August 18, 2021, 10:34:51 AM »
A 3 time premiership player makes him an immortal of the club.
1/6th of the best backline I’ve seen at Tigerland in the last 50 odd years.
With Rance also gone and Houli spent, it’s a backline that now needs work.

You got George down as an immortal too then?...

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1201 on: August 18, 2021, 10:58:00 AM »

He's had a bad year but was good until then.

Immortal for me

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1202 on: August 18, 2021, 11:17:06 AM »

100. 14 of them winning 3 flags. 20 years from now, that is how these boys will be judged.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1203 on: August 18, 2021, 06:50:02 PM »
When he was young I was very much touch and go on him. Those injuries cruelled him but he recovered well.  Well done on a great career.

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #1204 on: August 18, 2021, 08:55:00 PM »
I saw him in a practice match at Shepperton in his first year (I think, long time ago) and he was matched against Buddy.He got to spanked as you would expect but I thought then that we had ourselves a long term Full Back to play on the big forwards. Pittty about the injuries and the super badluck (stingray injury) . A super important part of our stable premiership backline. Not everybody's favourite on these boards but certainly one of mine. Thanks Dave. You will be missed.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1205 on: August 19, 2021, 01:44:25 PM »
Hope he gets the farewell game and a stint up forward to finish how he started... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1206 on: August 20, 2021, 03:56:30 PM »
Astbury on SEN today:

Listen here: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=892819

----------------------------------------------------------------

“I'M NOT JUMPING OFF THE GRAVY TRAIN“: TRIPLE-PREMIERSHIP TIGER SAYS THEY'LL BE BACK SOON

Nathan Jones
SEN
20 August 2021

Triple-premiership Tiger David Astbury believes Richmond are ready to rebound in the coming seasons.

With the Tigers trailing eighth-placed Essendon by four points and a tick under 10 per cent, five premiership players have made way for Saturday afternoon’s meeting with Hawthorn.

Plucked by Richmond from a wheat farm near the western Victorian town of Tatyoon back in 2009, Astbury will hang up the boots after 155 games in 12 seasons at Punt Road.

Despite the Tigers’ failure to qualify for the finals, he is insistent his retirement, along with Bachar Houli calling time, doesn’t signal the end of an era.

“I’m not jumping off the gravy train because I think it’s dried up or anything along those lines,“ he told SEN Breakfast on Friday morning.

“With the people at that football club in particular places, whether it be club administration, football department, other key players along the playing list and the developing youth…

“I really think they can - we can - rebound really strongly, really quickly.”

Young defender Sydney Stack has been re-integrated into the backline in the last six weeks, while triple-premiership forward Daniel Rioli has reignited his career behind the ball.

The key position stocks are promising; defensive linchpin Noah Balta will return to the team next season, while Callum Coleman-Jones has booted 11 goals in seven games.

In the midfield, coach Damien Hardwick has afforded opportunities to Thomson Dow, Will Martyn, Riley Collier-Dawkins, Jack Ross, none of whom are older than 21.

“I feel in the not too distant future, that team can be better,” Astbury continued.

“I certainly don’t think the Richmond supporters are going to be enduring a long stint of sparse joy.

“I feel it’ll continue, and the way the group has invested in it will ensure that too.”

As for Astbury, his cup is full.

“I’ve really enjoyed my humble role,” he reflected.

“I’ve always been conscious of not wanting to play for too long, or for the wrong reasons. I’ve been completely fulfilled with how my career has played out.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/08/20/im-not-jumping-off-the-gravy-train-triple-premiership-tiger-says-theyll-be/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1207 on: August 22, 2021, 04:22:56 AM »
Retiring Richmond defender David Astbury has named his two most admired opponents.

“There’s two who I’ve played on who I really appreciate and admire, and that’s Josh Kennedy from the west, and Tommy Hawkins,” Astbury said on SEN Breakfast.

“They both keep you so honest, and they’re both such good people, they’re both so good for footy.

“It would be very difficult to split them, but they’re definitely the two guys I’ve always had my hands full with.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/08/21/retiring-tiger-names-his-two-most-admired-opponents/

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #1208 on: August 24, 2021, 12:12:29 PM »
Great montage video on his insta.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1209 on: September 20, 2021, 02:11:44 AM »
"Looks like my source was spot on.

Huge signings for Bundoora coming with Astbury and Ling Jong."

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/nfnl-div-1-2021.1253662/page-44#post-72221390

If this is true then Dave will be joining ex-Tiger Sam Lloyd at Bundoora.

https://www.facebook.com/bundooraFNC/posts/1718508718349784

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: David Astbury [merged]
« Reply #1210 on: May 26, 2022, 05:56:40 AM »
Richmond footballer David Astbury to headline Mininera and District Football League centenary celebrations

YELLOW AND BLACK: Richmond premiership player David Astbury will be guest speaker at a Mininera and District Football League function on Saturday.

https://www.standard.net.au/story/7752753/premiership-tiger-returning-home-for-centenary-celebrations/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1211 on: April 11, 2023, 03:17:29 PM »
'This is your Journey - David Astbury'.

LISTEN HERE: https://cms.megaphone.fm/channel/NTETP5142225010?selected=NTETP1163100289

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1212 on: April 17, 2023, 01:53:57 PM »
David Astbury first played for Tatyoon before becoming a three-time Richmond premiership player. After retiring from the AFL at the end of 2021, he is heading home. Find out what is motivating his return to where it all started.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/mininera-and-district-richmond-star-david-astbury-returns-to-tatyoon/news-story/289eea5def1518ec3b3ec0999fe0e921?amp