Author Topic: David Astbury [merged]  (Read 260265 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
David Astbury [merged]
« on: November 26, 2009, 07:11:41 PM »
welcome Dave  :thumbsup
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 04:26:32 PM by one-eyed »

Ramps

Re: David Astbury [merged]
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 07:13:21 PM »
Welcome aboard to young Astbury would of preferred him at a later pick though

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 07:15:36 PM »
Described as a utility who can play forward and back and showed some glimpses by Leon Harris on SEN.

tony_montana

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 07:17:10 PM »
 welcome aboard, fills a muc needed list need, looks to have a cool head and solid footskills
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 09:39:49 PM by tony_montana »

Ramps

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 07:20:01 PM »
taken to early for mine

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 07:21:41 PM »
taken to early for mine

Yep seems like a speculative pick for mine as player we probably wanted was taken.
Nevertheless good luck to the kid.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 07:21:54 PM »
David Astbury

D.O.B:   26-Feb-1991
Club:   North Ballarat Rebels
State:   VIC
Height:   193cm
Weight:   79kg
Position:   Defender
Lead up forward or defender with a great set of hands. Good pace and endurance for his size with sounds skills by both hand and foot. Vic Country U18 representative in 2009. From Tatyoon FC.

Video: http://offseasondraft.championdata.com/afl_off_season_draft/offSeasonDraft/player_profile.jsp?player_id=115427

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 08:24:12 PM »
taken to early for mine

Yep seems like a speculative pick for mine as player we probably wanted was taken.

Matt Burgan had him going between 30 and 50 so 35 is probably about right.  He is as tall as Nick/Jack Reiwoldt already and his bio says "great set of hands. Good pace and endurance for his size with sounds skills by both hand and foot.".  What more do you want or expect from a #35 draft pick?  Skills, pace, endurance, height - all things we have bemoaned on here as being light on in our forward line.  Structure and options hey.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 08:27:17 PM »
taken to early for mine

Matt Burgan had him going between 30 and 50 so 35 is probably about right.  He is as tall as Nick/Jack Reiwoldt already and his bio says "great set of hands. Good pace and endurance for his size with sounds skills by both hand and foot.".  What more do you want or expect from a #35 draft pick?  Skills, pace, endurance, height - all things we have bemoaned on here as being light on in our forward line.  Structure and options hey.
Good call smokey
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 08:34:08 PM »
2009 National Draft - David Astbury

David Astbury highlights: http://bigpondvideo.com/AFL/226074

DOB: 26/02/91
Height: 194.5cm
Weight: 81.4kg
Club: North Ballarat Rebels, TAC Cup

What the recruiters say:
David originates from his family’s farm near Tatyoon in Victorias’ Ararat district. In 2007 and 2008 he was a boarder at Caulfield Grammar in Melbourne and in 2009 moved back to Ballarat to concentrate on his football with the Rebels where he carried the honour of co-captain.

David has been a member of the North Ballarat rebels U18 team for the past 2 seasons, playing 4 games in 2008 and 10 games in 2009. This year David played as his teams’ versatile “swingman”, playing in attack to provide a strong marking option as well as in defence to take the oppositions best forward.  David was at his best up forward in round 5 against the Western Jets where he tallied 18 possessions, 12 marks and 3 goals from centre half forward. He was regularly thrown back and forward during the same game where he was needed to provide a strong presence for his team in a key position.

A member of the Vic Country side in the NAB U18 National Championships, David was again used in a mix of forward and defending roles where he averaged 14 possessions and 4 marks per game.

David is a very long and cool kick of the football and makes good decisions in the heat of battle. He has high kick efficiency and also an excellent long kick ratio to break lines and zones. He has very clean hands in the air and at ground level, highlighting his ability to be an option in defence or attack.

The club will be looking to further develop David in the key positions with a continued focus on his aerial ability and long kicking game.

David Astbury in his own words:

What type of player are you?
An athletic and mobile tall who can play at either end of the ground. Predominantly a leading half-forward.

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble, and why?
Nick Riewoldt because he's a hard-working half-forward who plays high up the ground similar to me when I play that position.

What are your strengths as a footballer?
Athleticism, versatility, endurance and agility for a tall.

What parts of your game would you like to improve?
Strength and power off the mark (speed) and consistency.

Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?
Melbourne Demons. My father has supported them for his entire life and encouraged me to follow them too.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far, and why?
Jack Ziebell because he gave me an understanding of what is required at a more elite junior level and we trained together with great professionalism.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/Season2010/2009NationalDraft/DavidAstbury/tabid/15507/Default.aspx

Offline peggles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 10:56:32 PM »
i wouldn't say astbury is a speculative pick. 
certainly wasn't a smokie.  quite well known prior to the draft and talked about.

very mobile kpp who continually leads up the field with a good and long pick.  looks to have the frame to fill out as well.

i like it.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 11:00:41 PM »
David Astbury - Centre Half Forward

:)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 11:02:05 PM »
I'm impressed with the potential of Astbury. At the very least he adds competition for KP places and depth to the forwardline.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 12:16:01 AM »
Yep well another one I am happy with, loved that mark he took running back with the flight of the ball and he never took his eyes off the ball. Great kicking action as well, very good overhead and takes a great contseted mark.

Welcome Davo.. :thumbsup
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 01:27:54 AM »
Ranked in the top 10 for kicking efficiency at the camp, 70%, so thats 2 players we picked up in the top 10 that are the best to come out of the draft camp at kicking.... :clapping
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"