Author Topic: David Astbury [merged]  (Read 267461 times)

tony_montana

Re: David Astbury [merged]
« Reply #165 on: April 15, 2011, 03:15:18 PM »
Thought he took a step in the right direction last week. I know some ppl think "what has he done to justify the hype/good will from supporters", but he looks like a thinking footballer. Bit slow athletically, but reckon he has a future even at this early stage of his development.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #166 on: April 15, 2011, 03:35:27 PM »
Great to see opposition players encouraging the younger players after the game and giving them advise....really good to see these days!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #167 on: May 26, 2011, 02:54:10 AM »
Richmond keeps the door open for Ballarat's Astbury
BY Gav McGrath
Ballarat Courier
25 May, 2011 10:18 PM

THE door back into Richmond’s line-up is ajar for David Astbury, with injury striking down another Tiger key defender.

On Tuesday 19-year-old full back Dylan Grimes had surgery at the Epworth Hospital to repair his right hamstring, which he tore in Saturday night’s victory over Essendon.

Richmond conceded on its official website that Grimes would have an extended period on the sidelines while he recovers.

Grimes joins Kelvin Moore (hip) on the long-term injury list at Punt Road.

With Will Thursfield (calf injury) also out for a further two weeks the Tigers have a dearth of tall backmen ahead of their match against Port Adelaide at TIO Stadium in Darwin this Saturday.

Former North Ballarat Rebel Astbury, along with David Gourdis, would be in consideration for a return to the AFL after what was described as a “solid performance” for Coburg in the VFL against Frankston.

“(Astbury had) a solid performance in defence,” Richmond development coach David Newett said in his match report yesterday.

“(He) played to structures, took some good marks, and rebounded well.”

Gourdis kicked one goal in Coburg’s 19-point loss but also played mostly in defence against Frankston’s tall forwards. Astbury, 20, played the first four matches of the season but was dropped after the Tigers’ 71-point defeat at the hands of Collingwood.

Capable of playing both ends of the ground, he has lined up predominantly in defence for Coburg, priming him for a return sooner rather than later.

Fellow former Rebel Matt Dea is expected to return from a leg injury within the next two weeks.

http://www.thecourier.com.au/news/local/sport/football-australian-rules/richmond-keeps-the-door-open-for-ballarats-astbury/2175136.aspx

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #168 on: May 26, 2011, 11:32:02 AM »
Remind me - what was Astbury doing (or not doing) that had him dropped in Round 5?

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #169 on: May 26, 2011, 11:52:25 AM »
Remind me - what was Astbury doing (or not doing) that had him dropped in Round 5?
I'm no expert, but in my opinion he didn't look to be the best judge of the incoming ball. Tended to watch his opponent more than he should which resulted in him being caught behind too often or just unable to make a contest as he should. I don't know what his performances at Coburg have been like, but hopefully he can time his jumps a little better and not be so orientated on his opponents position and focus more on the ball which should help him.

Astbury will be a good player, I am not convinced though that his best position is in the backline, well not yet anyway.

the claw

« Reply #170 on: May 26, 2011, 01:53:34 PM »
playing very poorly hardly getting a touch. sent back to coburg to find form touch and confidence dont know if hes done a hell of a lot at coburg but circumstances says he will be promoted.
this is how we should develop our players give blocks of games and when they drop off the pace back to coburg to work on what they have learnt and find form.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #171 on: August 29, 2011, 09:52:14 PM »
Dave interviewed on TAC Cup Future Stars about life outside of footy ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw0uxdUofFk&feature=player_profilepage

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #172 on: August 30, 2011, 09:24:22 AM »
playing very poorly hardly getting a touch. sent back to coburg to find form touch and confidence dont know if hes done a hell of a lot at coburg but circumstances says he will be promoted.
this is how we should develop our players give blocks of games and when they drop off the pace back to coburg to work on what they have learnt and find form.
This
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #173 on: August 30, 2011, 01:39:55 PM »
Astbury has a terrific character. My only concern is that he may be too smart to make a great footballer  :whistle Has a strong outside focus and isn't making his complete focus football. Is a great thing for his future beyond football and will keep his level headed but will he do everything in his power to become a super footballer?!

Time will tell

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #174 on: August 30, 2011, 01:46:29 PM »
ONLY TIME....will tell.
Lots of people name their swords......

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #175 on: September 22, 2011, 12:24:14 PM »
"David Astbury talks about the work @Richmond_FC players have been performing at the St Mary's House of Welcome"

http://aflpa.com.au/beyond_the_jumper/players_tv_video/

Online eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #176 on: September 23, 2011, 02:35:23 PM »
Saw Astbury at the Lake Bolac/ Tatyoon grand final last weekend. Looked in good shape.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #177 on: September 26, 2011, 12:32:00 PM »
Dave putting in the hard yards on the track post-surgery...

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/roarvisionarchive/tabid/11454/contentid/391648/default.aspx

* Back at training the last couple of weeks. Still lacking full range in movement in his knee but expects that to right itself now he is back doing training exercises for strengthen his knee and running. Hoping to be back to 100% and full training with the boys within a week or two after the start of preseason (Oct 31).

* Heading off to Asia for a holiday on Thurs.

Offline RFC_Official

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #178 on: September 26, 2011, 12:52:24 PM »
Dave putting in the hard yards on the track post-surgery...

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/roarvisionarchive/tabid/11454/contentid/391648/default.aspx

* Back at training the last couple of weeks. Still lacking full range in movement in his knee but expects that to right itself now he is back doing training exercises for strengthen his knee and running. Hoping to be back to 100% and full training with the boys within a week or two after the start of preseason (Oct 31).

* Heading off to Asia for a holiday on Thurs.

Ta :)

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #179 on: January 10, 2012, 01:56:35 PM »
Saw a pic on the Club Facebook page of David that reminded me so much of the old footy card poses that I had to turn it into one.

If anyone wants one done for their favorite player and knows of a good pic to use, send me a link to the pic and I'll try and whip one up for you.  :thumbsup