Author Topic: David Astbury [merged]  (Read 265710 times)

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: David Astbury [merged]
« Reply #375 on: March 03, 2013, 04:01:57 PM »
To be prudish I would say it appeared Hurley was well padded

When doesn't he?

True

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #376 on: March 03, 2013, 06:03:44 PM »
Didnt really notice him, not necessarily bad as a key defender, but not good. Noticed Jackson take a nice strong grab, only for him to kick it down the throat of a north player hahaha

Didn't really notice Hurley either.  :shh

That post was for the other game  :shh
But thats my point about it not being bad. If you dont notice a shut down defender usually that means the forward they're playing on isnt noticed either, so he was doing his job

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #377 on: March 05, 2013, 11:38:21 AM »
Astbury advances
By richmondfc.com.au
Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Talented Tiger key-position prospect David Astbury took another important step on the comeback trail in Wangaratta last weekend.

Astbury was assigned the daunting task of curbing Essendon's star key forward Michael Hurley, when Richmond took on the Bombers in a round two clash of the AFL's pre-season competition.

Read the full article at: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2013-03-05/astbury-advances

gerkin greg

« Reply #378 on: March 05, 2013, 12:30:40 PM »
Didn't have to do much to stop Hurls. Just left a bucket of hot chips in the pocket and put his feet up.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #379 on: March 05, 2013, 12:32:50 PM »
Didnt really notice him, not necessarily bad as a key defender, but not good. Noticed Jackson take a nice strong grab, only for him to kick it down the throat of a north player hahaha

Didn't really notice Hurley either.  :shh

That post was for the other game  :shh
But thats my point about it not being bad. If you dont notice a shut down defender usually that means the forward they're playing on isnt noticed either, so he was doing his job

Lol should have checked the date.  :banghead

But agree he's been good at shutting down his man last couple of games.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #380 on: March 05, 2013, 12:36:12 PM »
Didn't have to do much to stop Hurls. Just left a bucket of hot chips in the pocket and put his feet up.

And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #381 on: March 05, 2013, 01:19:42 PM »

Go post that on bummerblitz  :lol :lol

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #382 on: March 06, 2013, 07:10:30 AM »
Tiger Astbury cools his heels a little longer

March 6, 2013

Emma Quayle

David Astbury's comeback from a knee injury has been halted by a foot injury, which will keep the young defender out of the rest of Richmond's pre-season.

Astbury was one of his team's best players in the match against Essendon on Saturday in Wangaratta but discovered on Tuesday that he has a stress reaction in his left foot and will need to wear a moon boot for the next few weeks.

The 22-year-old was nearing the end of his first full pre-season since being drafted by Richmond in 2009, having spent more than a year working to overcome a serious knee problem.

He is hopeful he will need to spend just a week or two in the boot before continuing his comeback, having identified the problem reasonably early, but the setback will mean he most likely will miss out on a spot in the round one side.

''Clearly the selection process for round one is heating up and everyone will be doing their best to cement a spot in that team during the next few weeks,'' Astbury said.

''It's very frustrating that I'll miss the opportunity to do that, but hopefully I'll still be considered and get an opportunity soon.''

Astbury needed two operations to repair a dislocated kneecap and extensive damage to his medial ligament when he was injured five rounds into 2011, after an impressive debut season in 2010.

The defender battled further soft tissue problems before forcing his way into the Tigers' side for the final two games of last season.

Astbury did an excellent job on Essendon's Michael Hurley in Wangaratta, with coach Damien Hardwick optimistic that he could play an important role this season alongside Alex Rance, Dylan Grimes, Troy Chaplin and others.

Like Grimes, who is on his way back from serious hamstring problems, the defender has won his teammates over with his attitude and approach during such a long rehabilitation process. He signed a new two-year contract midway through last year, extending to the end of 2014.

''He's going to take a little bit of time. He did miss a significant amount of footy with the bad injury two years ago but he's only going to get better as the year progresses,'' Hardwick said last Saturday.

''He's still got to move the ball on a little bit faster at times, but we're really pleased with the way he's going.''

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tiger-astbury-cools-his-heels-a-little-longer-20130305-2fj6b.html#ixzz2MhKarFxI
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #383 on: March 06, 2013, 07:29:12 AM »
 :facepalm
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #384 on: March 06, 2013, 09:15:28 AM »
Said it numerous times, not convinced on Astbury. Don't think he was as good as what people are saying on Saturday either. Hopefully he can prove me wrong, will be more than glad to cop my fair whack if he does.

dwaino

« Reply #385 on: March 06, 2013, 10:14:45 AM »
Said it numerous times, not convinced on Astbury. Don't think he was as good as what people are saying on Saturday either. Hopefully he can prove me wrong, will be more than glad to cop my fair whack if he does.

Ditto.

How long until he takes his training wheels off? Giving him 12 was really premature.

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #386 on: March 06, 2013, 10:18:02 AM »

Ditto.

How long until he takes his training wheels off? Giving him 12 was really premature.
Agreed.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #387 on: March 06, 2013, 11:25:27 AM »
Wonder how long he will actually be out for? 
The club has a good record of not being completely upfront about these things.
I'm tipping round 4 at the earliest??

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #388 on: March 06, 2013, 12:43:46 PM »
Tiger Astbury cools his heels a little longer

March 6, 2013

Emma Quayle

David Astbury's comeback from a knee injury has been halted by a foot injury, which will keep the young defender out of the rest of Richmond's pre-season.

Astbury was one of his team's best players in the match against Essendon on Saturday in Wangaratta but discovered on Tuesday that he has a stress reaction in his left foot and will need to wear a moon boot for the next few weeks.

The 22-year-old was nearing the end of his first full pre-season since being drafted by Richmond in 2009, having spent more than a year working to overcome a serious knee problem.

He is hopeful he will need to spend just a week or two in the boot before continuing his comeback, having identified the problem reasonably early, but the setback will mean he most likely will miss out on a spot in the round one side.

''Clearly the selection process for round one is heating up and everyone will be doing their best to cement a spot in that team during the next few weeks,'' Astbury said.

''It's very frustrating that I'll miss the opportunity to do that, but hopefully I'll still be considered and get an opportunity soon.''

Astbury needed two operations to repair a dislocated kneecap and extensive damage to his medial ligament when he was injured five rounds into 2011, after an impressive debut season in 2010.

The defender battled further soft tissue problems before forcing his way into the Tigers' side for the final two games of last season.

Astbury did an excellent job on Essendon's Michael Hurley in Wangaratta, with coach Damien Hardwick optimistic that he could play an important role this season alongside Alex Rance, Dylan Grimes, Troy Chaplin and others.

Like Grimes, who is on his way back from serious hamstring problems, the defender has won his teammates over with his attitude and approach during such a long rehabilitation process. He signed a new two-year contract midway through last year, extending to the end of 2014.

''He's going to take a little bit of time. He did miss a significant amount of footy with the bad injury two years ago but he's only going to get better as the year progresses,'' Hardwick said last Saturday.

''He's still got to move the ball on a little bit faster at times, but we're really pleased with the way he's going.''

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tiger-astbury-cools-his-heels-a-little-longer-20130305-2fj6b.html#ixzz2MhKarFxI

Club spinning it to sound less serious? Sounds like Foleys bruised heel  :sleep

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #389 on: March 06, 2013, 02:59:14 PM »