Author Topic: David Astbury [merged]  (Read 267511 times)

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: David Astbury [merged]
« Reply #405 on: April 14, 2013, 11:10:26 AM »
Most hyperextensions I've seen usually just hurt a lot at the start but come the next week there was no sign of it happening. Hopefully his okay  :thumbsup

the claw

« Reply #406 on: April 14, 2013, 05:07:46 PM »
There is limited KPF spots in the senior side.

#1 forward
#2 2nd ruck.
#3 third tall.

Reiwoldt is one is the first name of the team sheet. Vickery and mcgaune with the following waiting in the wings; Griffiths.Elton. McBean. Astbury is a long way back.
griffiths and astbury are currently being developed in defense at coburg. mcbean is 20kg away from playing kp at afl level and elton is in just yr two. in effect we have no decent replacement tall forward to cover for injury or poor form.
 theres is 3 spots at coburg.when we talk development it is not just about the seniors.only mcbean who is yrs away because of size and elton are being developed as forwards.nearly every one tells me neither are close to being ready.

at coburg there is nothing stopping us from going
#1 ff griffiths
#2 chf astbury/elton
#3 for/ruck elton/mcbean/derickx. . imo mcbean should play back he looked a real likely chb in his draft yr.

as i said at least one of griffiths or astbury if not both  needs to be developed as a kpf at coburg.we dont do this. they are being developed as defenders. imo one of them griffiths right at this point in time should come in for vickery who continues to be very ordinary.
what happens if riewoldt does a knee who comes in? it should be one of griffiths or astbury they both have 3 or 4 preseasons behind them and they both have afl experience.
but to do this we need to play em in the forward line at coburg and develop them there.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #407 on: April 14, 2013, 05:16:06 PM »
A.Edwards makes a headache of the situatio. On a windy day with a weakened midfiel, Coburg were far too tall on the weeken.

the claw

« Reply #408 on: April 14, 2013, 06:20:54 PM »
A.Edwards makes a headache of the situatio. On a windy day with a weakened midfiel, Coburg were far too tall on the weeken.
reckon the lack of genuine mids on the list was shown up at coburg. imo we can and should go with 8 genuine talls at coburg, 3 back 3 forward 1 ruckman and 1 backup ruckman on the bench.7 is ideal but we need to develop all 8. where we play and develop the talls is the issue. the whole idea of a reserves side is to develop cover and depth  FOR ALL POSITIONS IN THE SENIORS.

b   verrier  - DARROU  -  batchelor.
hb  MCINTOSH  - MCBEAN - dea
c    nahas  - vlastuin - helbig
hf  white - ASTBURY -  med for edwards/ohanlon. the lack of pace with these two makes it an issue.they need to do lots more at ground level and become more of a running type.
f.    ELTON  - GRIFFITHS - mcdonough. the last we need to develop as a mid. dont think he can play thru there yet.
r   STEPHENSON - lonergan -  foley. obviously when foley gets fully fit he will walk straight into the seniors.
int  DERICKX - williams -   arnot  - mid we dont have another genuine one.

clearly at least one of griffiths or astbury should be developed as a forward. In its own way that team  is a mirror of tall structure in the seniors. the only difference is the need to play the second ruckman from the bench or even as a sub.

mids to choose from  who did not play today against the dogs.
arnot, foley, helbig, lonergan, nahas, vlastuin, white williams. just not enough depth and with foley helbig vlastuin not playing at all and nahas and white with questions about them being mids or forwards  it made for real problems at coburg.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #409 on: April 14, 2013, 07:09:46 PM »
Anyone see the whole Coburg game able to give much on Griffs game?  I only caught the second part and he looked pretty disinterested.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Bengal

• Premiership Captain
  • Its Tiger Time
« Reply #410 on: April 14, 2013, 07:20:33 PM »
Played fullback! Kicked out and watched a lot go back over his head. particularly in the 2nd half  :-\ 

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #411 on: April 14, 2013, 08:38:04 PM »
reckon the lack of genuine mids on the list was shown up at coburg. imo we can and should go with 8 genuine talls at coburg, 3 back 3 forward 1 ruckman and 1 backup ruckman on the bench.7 is ideal but we need to develop all 8. where we play and develop the talls is the issue. the whole idea of a reserves side is to develop cover and depth  FOR ALL POSITIONS IN THE SENIORS.

b   verrier  - DARROU  -  batchelor.
hb  MCINTOSH  - MCBEAN - dea
c    nahas  - vlastuin - helbig
hf  white - ASTBURY -  med for edwards/ohanlon. the lack of pace with these two makes it an issue.they need to do lots more at ground level and become more of a running type.
f.    ELTON  - GRIFFITHS - mcdonough. the last we need to develop as a mid. dont think he can play thru there yet.
r   STEPHENSON - lonergan -  foley. obviously when foley gets fully fit he will walk straight into the seniors.
int  DERICKX - williams -   arnot  - mid we dont have another genuine one.

clearly at least one of griffiths or astbury should be developed as a forward. In its own way that team  is a mirror of tall structure in the seniors. the only difference is the need to play the second ruckman from the bench or even as a sub.

mids to choose from  who did not play today against the dogs.
arnot, foley, helbig, lonergan, nahas, vlastuin, white williams. just not enough depth and with foley helbig vlastuin not playing at all and nahas and white with questions about them being mids or forwards  it made for real problems at coburg.

I almost agree with you entirely in regards to the development of our young players via the reserves, or rather Coburg for this season.

- I worry about Verrier named in a back pocket as I think his kicking is iffy. Helbig seems to have all the attributes to be a good 'playmaker' Hodge type. But I am equally happy with him on a wing in the middle.
 - I would play Astbury in the back line. - hopefully put pressure on Chaplins position in the senior team. Astbury/Mcintosh/Darrou + Helbig/Dea/Bachelor.
 -  like McBean as a forward. He has kicked 2 goals in a 100 point loss from strong leads and attacking the ball. He kicked four the week before that. He seems very skillful and at training when he is mucking around he does not miss the goals often. Snaps, set shots.
 - White is starting to move into my delist pile.
 - OHanlon is slow but he seems to have talent.
 - I would start both Williams and Arnot in the side for developmental reasoning.

I do agree our list is not finished and needs move midfield options. hopefully big ones with proper pace. Until then in a worst case scenario I am confident the like of Mcintosh and Dea could do a job in a tagging role or on the wing. Young MCdonough played well last week too.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #412 on: April 14, 2013, 11:48:59 PM »
mcdonough. the last we need to develop as a mid. dont think he can play thru there yet.

What happened to playing players where they played juniors?

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #413 on: April 15, 2013, 12:32:40 AM »
mcdonough. the last we need to develop as a mid. dont think he can play thru there yet.

What happened to playing players where they played juniors?

That only applies where it suits his cynicism.  :shh

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #414 on: April 15, 2013, 12:48:05 AM »
So to clarify of claws most excellent point our 21/22 at moment is:

Chaplin. Grimes. Morris.
Houli. Rance. Petterd.
Newman. Cotchin. Knights.
Conca. Tuck. SEdwards.
Vickery. Reiwoldt. McGaune.
Maric. Deledio. Martin.
Jackson. Grigg. King.
Ellis.

If I were in charge I would follow claws ideology of structure and playing people in positions where they should perform at in the senior team eventually. I would play:

Astbury. Darrou. Dea.
Helbig. McIntosh. Bachelor.
Longeran. Foley. Nahas
OHanlon. Mcdonough. Williams.
Griffiths. Elton. McBean.
Orren. Vlastuin. Arnot.
Derickx. White. Verrier. GSimon. AEdwards.

Online eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #415 on: April 15, 2013, 07:08:53 AM »
Anyone see the whole Coburg game able to give much on Griffs game?  I only caught the second part and he looked pretty disinterested.

Williamstown player ran into Griffiths and gifted him a tackle. Needs to get more of the ball. Very few players could put up their hand to say they played well that day. Although Astbury had limited time he did some nice things eg took a good grab. Carnell must have the record for being caught holding the ball in the one game. I counted at least 4 times. Next year Coburg are in terrible trouble.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #416 on: June 22, 2013, 10:18:22 PM »
As mentioned in the gameday thread, Dave has done a hammy. He just can't stay on the park without copping some injury.

dwaino

« Reply #417 on: June 22, 2013, 10:50:39 PM »
Thought Markovic was a good chance for Arsebury to find some form (if he has any), but couldn't even beat that potato. Dud.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #418 on: June 22, 2013, 11:03:01 PM »
Yep dissapointing, club either backs him in for more games to see what he can do or back to burgers and question marks at seasons end....
 Hope he dan prove em all wrong
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #419 on: June 22, 2013, 11:04:46 PM »
Dimma said Astbury had a tight hamstring (left leg). Doc Larkins said it was sore so we subbed him off and he sat on the bench with ice around the left thigh.