Author Topic: David Astbury [merged]  (Read 269281 times)

Jackstar is back!!!

Re: David Astbury [merged]
« Reply #600 on: April 27, 2014, 07:53:00 PM »
Played good today

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #601 on: April 27, 2014, 07:57:51 PM »
Played good today

did he play of the roughie

Jackstar is back!!!

« Reply #602 on: April 27, 2014, 07:59:45 PM »
Yes
Very solid and not scared to back his judgement

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #603 on: April 27, 2014, 08:10:15 PM »
Yes
Very solid and not scared to back his judgement

honestly thought if Roughie was kept quite which he was that we would have some sort of a go. Why Rioli was running around with no chain stumps me

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #604 on: April 28, 2014, 09:04:48 AM »
He is good defensively but as Hardwick was right to point out in the presser his attacking work is next to non existent. Quite the old school fullback but the modern game needs him to be more attacking as well.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #605 on: April 28, 2014, 09:06:03 AM »
Showed pace I never thought he had by chasing Hill and not letting him get away (although Hill centred it to Rioli for a goal).
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #606 on: April 28, 2014, 09:13:57 AM »
A shining light

tony_montana

« Reply #607 on: April 28, 2014, 09:23:28 AM »
Showed pace I never thought he had by chasing Hill and not letting him get away (although Hill centred it to Rioli for a goal).

I was thinking the exact same thing, pleasantly surprising seeing that

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #608 on: April 28, 2014, 12:20:35 PM »
At least he chased. Doubt chappy would

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #609 on: April 28, 2014, 12:48:25 PM »
He is good defensively but as Hardwick was right to point out in the presser his attacking work is next to non existent. Quite the old school fullback but the modern game needs him to be more attacking as well.
Uses the footy well so I think as he becomes comfortable playing at the level he will get better. And to Dimma saying he needs to work on his offensive game, well at least he's offering something defensively unlike half the team who offer nothing either way.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #610 on: April 28, 2014, 02:12:13 PM »
Would be just about leading the B&F if I were voting. Has easily been in our top 10 players in every game and has been close to our best in a couple of those games. When was the last time one of our key backs pumped a powerhouse like Cloke or Roughie? Yes, Rancey has beaten Franklin but that doesn't seem to be all that challenging these days TBH. Get Rance back in this team to take the 2nd tall and we're looking a lot better down back. I don't care if Astbury gets less of the footy than Presti, he has been stuffing brilliant this year in 1v1s. Zac Dawson has played in 4-5 GFs and has no offensive side

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #611 on: April 28, 2014, 02:14:08 PM »
And to Dimma saying he needs to work on his offensive game, well at least he's offering something defensively unlike half the team who offer nothing either way.

Hardwick did praise his defensive game.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #612 on: April 28, 2014, 02:26:47 PM »
Unusually poised & composed for a Richmond player. Particularly liked the play where he had the presence of mind to wait for Newman run around and get upfield to create a target for him to kick to instead of just rushing a handball to him in the goal square. Par for the course in most sides but a rare thing in ours.

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #613 on: April 28, 2014, 02:42:37 PM »
David slays goliath, but Tigers still fall short
Callum Twomey 
afl.com.au
April 28, 2014

HAVING entered the last couple of seasons fit and healthy and then breaking down with injury, David Astbury came into 2014 with a slight case of trepidation.

Again he had got through a summer with few physical hassles, and he felt good heading into the home and away year, but that wasn't a new feeling for Astbury, which taught him not to get his hopes up.

"It's a tough one because I've thought that the last couple of years would be my year," Astbury told AFL.com.au.

This time, though, things seem to have turned the way of the emerging Richmond defender. He has played the first six games of the season and on Sunday negated Hawthorn star Jarryd Roughead, despite Richmond's 66-point defeat.

Since Alex Rance's foot injury, Astbury has been given the responsibility of holding down the opposition's premier key forward, and has shown a zest for the role.

He studied for the Roughead role in much the same way as he did with Carlton's Jarrad Waite in round two.

"I've done a fair bit of homework on [Roughead] and I knew I had to check him closely. I think at stages I did a good job and then at other stages he got off a little bit," he said.

"There was a few times I thought I was done and he had me beat, but luckily the ball didn't come. He's really good at turning you and getting in behind you, so that's something I'll definitely be reviewing this week."

Roughead, who won last year's Coleman Medal, kicked only one goal in his team's big win, which came after a free kick in the last term.

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick praised Astbury for his development so far this year.

"The one thing he does, he beats his opponent. He's got to work a little bit harder on his offensive game to get that up and going, but we've been really pleased with his form throughout the year," Hardwick said after the Hawthorn loss.

Injuries have curtailed the 23-year-old's career to this point, having played only 12 games from 2011-2013.

Through the pre-season he spent lots of time matched against Richmond's trio of tall forward – Jack Riewoldt, Ty Vickery and Ben Griffiths – and feels that's where his improvement has come from.

"I managed to not break down in the pre-season and now I've started to get a run of games in the home and away season. Things are starting to look a lot more positive. I know there's 16 rounds before finals, and I'm definitely looking at the moment to try to play every game," Astbury said.

Richmond will need to lift its standards if it is to return to September action this year, after falling to its fourth loss in the opening six rounds.

Astbury said Hardwick had put the responsibility on every player chipping in to turn the club's fortunes, and that approach needed to start against Geelong next Sunday.

"'Dimma' [Hardwick] was pretty strong on the fact we've got ourselves in a hole now and we need to dig ourselves out. It's not going to be a couple of players to do it, it's about the whole club pulling the chain in the one direction," he said.

"Hopefully we can prove to the football world we are a genuinely good side and really match it with [Geelong]."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-04-28/david-slays-goliath

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #614 on: April 28, 2014, 02:44:33 PM »
And to Dimma saying he needs to work on his offensive game, well at least he's offering something defensively unlike half the team who offer nothing either way.

Hardwick did praise his defensive game.
I know (through gritted teeth because he didn't want to play him in the first place) and then had a go at his offensive game. When there are blokes playing weekly who offer nothing from either side.