Author Topic: Ben Nason delisted [updated]  (Read 28744 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Ben Nason [merged]
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2009, 08:43:53 PM »
2009 National Draft - Ben Nason

Ben Nason highlights: http://bigpondvideo.com/AFL/226079

DOB: 3/06/89
Height: 179.3cm
Weight: 73.0kg
Club: Central District, SANFL

What the recruiters say:
Ben is a running midfielder/ forward who played predominantly reserves football this year with the powerful Central District football club in the SANFL. Ben made the move to Centrals after the 2008 season from the Port Adelaide Magpies where he played his junior football in the U17’s and U’19’s. In the interest of furthering his career and seeking greater opportunity, Ben made the decision to move to Centrals.

In 2009 Ben played 19 reserves games kicking 29 goals playing as a forward/midfielder while appearing in the best players 7 times. He was able to break into the powerful league side in round 23 against Norwood where in limited game time amassed 10 possessions and kicked 1 goal. He was also included in the league side for the qualifying final against Sturt. Ben’s season finished with a 4 goal-3rd best performance in his reserves losing preliminary final side and was an emergency for the League Grand Final side a week later.

Ben is a well balanced player who is highly skilled by foot on both sides of his body. He is a smooth moving running player who will be a dangerous high half forward playing with excellent goal sense and also as a skilled deliverer of the ball inside forward 50. Ben’s defensive pressure also lifted to a new level in 2009 and many of his shots on goal were brought about by run downs of opposition defenders. Ben impressed at the SA State Screening day with his endurance running a 14.2 score on the beep test.

Ben has been assisted greatly by the strong culture of the Central District Football Club in taking his game to the next level in 2009. Centrals have an outstanding record of success in the SANFL winning 8 out of the last 10 League premierships.

Ben Nason in his own words:

What type of player are you?
I would like to think I'm recognised as a hard, gut-running medium forward/on-baller with good leg speed, great decision-making and the ability to use both sides of my body under pressure.

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble, and why?
Dale Thomas. As he is not the biggest build, but uses his run very well, works hard and is a good crumber up forward, that knows how to kick a goal.

What are your strengths as a footballer?
Leg speed, ability to read the game, clean taker of the football, good skills on both sides, good work ethic on the field and at training and forward-line pressure.

What parts of your game would you like to improve?
Self-confidence to take the game on and consistent four-quarter efforts.

Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?
Adelaide Crows. They were the one Adelaide team at the time and I just loved the way Andrew McLeod plays the game.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far, and why?
Not anyone individual. My involvement with the Central District Football Club has changed my enthusiasm and outlook on the game by giving me a chance to play at a senior level and also giving me the self-belief that I can take my game to the highest level.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/Season2010/2009NationalDraft/BenNason/tabid/15510/Default.aspx

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2009, 09:07:48 PM »
"In the interest of furthering his career and seeking greater opportunity, Ben made the decision to move to Centrals."

"He was able to break into the powerful league side in round 23 against Norwood where in limited game time amassed 10 possessions and kicked 1 goal. He was also included in the league side for the qualifying final against Sturt. Ben’s season finished with a 4 goal-3rd best performance in his reserves losing preliminary final side and was an emergency for the League Grand Final side a week later."

"Ben’s defensive pressure also lifted to a new level in 2009 and many of his shots on goal were brought about by run downs of opposition defenders."

"Ben has been assisted greatly by the strong culture of the Central District Football Club in taking his game to the next level in 2009. Centrals have an outstanding record of success in the SANFL winning 8 out of the last 10 League premierships."

20 year old kid playing well against men, changing clubs to the most successful in order to challenge himself, goal kicker who thrives and succeeds on defensive pressure.  And we took a 'risk' at pick #71.  Another Jackson stuff up obviously.

Ramps

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2009, 09:08:38 PM »
how did he go in the 20 metre sprint at the state camp?

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2009, 09:10:09 PM »

Don't know.  How did he go in the vertical leap?  Your point?

Ramps

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2009, 09:11:22 PM »

Don't know.  How did he go in the vertical leap?  Your point?

Nothing smokey, nothing at all. Good luck to all the boys who got picked.

Online torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2009, 09:28:04 PM »
how many small forwards do we have now?

21 next year, better make an impression.

:)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2009, 09:28:26 PM »

Not trying to be a smart-a Ramps but I am a bit gob-smacked by the speed with which some have written off the draftees.  There are a couple of usual suspects who you expect drivel and nonsense from but I was a bit surprised by your total rejection of those picks past Griffiths.  We appear to have done our best in choosing players from those available at the time for their strengths and attributes in relation to our list and I don't see where you could mount much of a case for any pick being disastrously wrong already.  Like you said - good luck to all the boys picked - I just appear to have more confidence in those picks than you and some others already have.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2009, 09:31:55 PM »
how many small forwards do we have now?

21 next year, better make an impression.

:)

Nahas, Gilligan, Nason.  One of them young and already well on the way, one of them showing good improvement in his first year, one of them just drafted.  How many list spots should we hold for a small crumbing forward?  If he performs better than Nahas then we are doing ok for small crumbers surely?

tony_montana

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2009, 09:32:52 PM »

Not trying to be a smart-a Ramps but I am a bit gob-smacked by the speed with which some have written off the draftees.  There are a couple of usual suspects who you expect drivel and nonsense from but I was a bit surprised by your total rejection of those picks past Griffiths.  We appear to have done our best in choosing players from those available at the time for their strengths and attributes in relation to our list and I don't see where you could mount much of a case for any pick being disastrously wrong already.  Like you said - good luck to all the boys picked - I just appear to have more confidence in those picks than you and some others already have.

well said, i've found it rather amusing seeing the line drawn through everyone over pick 19  ;D

Ramps

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2009, 09:35:40 PM »
I wish the boys all the best, in 12 months time we will see what has happened. My fundamental point is we couldnt afford to take risks in this draft and we did, we couldnt afford it. Our team finished 15th and the next drafts are compromised! What happens now? I cant see us moving forward like this.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2009, 09:37:30 PM »

well said, i've found it rather amusing seeing the line drawn through everyone over pick 19  ;D

not Taylor. He looks good pal

The rest rubbish
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2009, 09:39:06 PM »
I wish the boys all the best, in 12 months time we will see what has happened. My fundamental point is we couldnt afford to take risks in this draft and we did, we couldnt afford it. Our team finished 15th and the next drafts are compromised! What happens now? I cant see us moving forward like this.

Ok, I'm listening.  Who would you have taken with our picks >19 from those that were available?  Remember though, the "Search" function on this forum will still work well in 2 years time!!   :)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2009, 09:42:41 PM »
Even Griffiths is a risk Ramps. Just had shoulder surgery and appears injury prone. The dice have been rolled and now its a waiting game
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

tony_montana

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2009, 09:48:23 PM »

not Taylor. He looks good pal

The rest rubbish

nah that statement is garbage

have you seen any footage? Astbury fills a need, 195cm strong mark, strong work ethic and a very nice kick of the footy. We neded to go tall again, looks a footballer.
Nason, exceptional footskills, hard at the contest, slick inside work, goalkicking midflder(not a fwd pocket).
Dea and webberley (sp) i know nothing about so wont comment, but to write them off just like that is a bit of a joke.

Ramps

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2009, 09:54:39 PM »
3) Martin was the expected selection
19) Griffiths was probably the right call and no complaints
35) I would have taken either McMillan, Kennedy or Vardy
44) I would have taken someone like Ryan Harwood
51) I think Astbury would have been available and I picked him in my phantom draft
67) Maybe Taylor would have made it through maybe not
72) Would have given a chance to one of the kids not taken like Grimes.

Im not afraid to put this up and Im sure you will bring it back. As I said smokey, I respect everyones opinion, its just that I have a different viewpoint that is all. Everyone has a right to an opinion. I wish all our players the best of luck. I hope they all make it.