Author Topic: Richmond playing Geelong in Yea on Feb 27  (Read 25432 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Richmond playing Geelong in Yea on Feb 27
« Reply #225 on: February 28, 2010, 04:14:39 PM »
The players how I thought they went (and remember it's just MHO  ;D)

2. Will Thursfield - liked Will's game. Good to see him running and chasing hard. His closing speed seems to be back

3. Brett Deledio -BOG for mine by a long long way. Ran hard, chased harder, tackled hard and his disposal was spot on. Fantastic game

5. Troy Simmonds - played about 10 minutes a qtr but when he was on the ground he was good. He and the mids worked well together. Was also great see his leadership at centre ball ups calling the mids into a circle to obviously discuss and plan

6. Graham Polak - I posted this somewhere else on this thread but I though Polly was very very good. He was matched up on Scarlett and Scarlett (who I rate as one of the best fullbacks in the game) gave the Cats very little if any run from the backline. Also, our crumbers need to realise that with Polly (like richo) in a contested marking contest that if Polly doens't mark it there is big chance he will bring it to ground... be ready

8. Jack Riewoldt - dropped 3 of the easiest marks in the first qtr and a bit of the game but after that he was good. Once he and Polly worked who would lead to which area rather leading to the same spot the structure worked. Another pleasing thing is Jack would lead up the ground and then quickly double back towards goals and get his opponent out of position - got a couple of goals doing this = smart FWD play  :clapping

9. Trent Cotchin - started slowly. First half was average, 2nd half was good with his third qtr a atandout

10. Shane Edwards - liked his game. Actually seeing him standing next to couple of the Geelong kids he looked like he had actually added some muscle  ;D thought his disposal was very good and his running through the centre was more direct this week

15. Mitch Farmer - I was really impressed with Mitch. Why? because I really enjoy watching blokes putting in 2nd and 3rd efforts. On a couple of occasions Mitch got beaten in the first contest but he backed it up with a 2nd effort and won the ball back and it doens't hurt that he can tackle  ;D

16. Luke Mcguane - good first up effort by Luke.

17. Chris Newman - dare I say it - solid game by the skipper - everything he did was clean and precise. Clearly he is one of the "go to" guys runnng out of the back half

19. Daniel Connors - KRock said he was solid so he must have been  :rollin Seriously I didn't notice him that much but as I've already said although the disposal was better this week, he still misses a few to many targets when he is under little pressure

20. Mitch Morton - pretty quiet game by Mitch despite kicking 2 goals. Good to see him willing to work harder defensively

23. Daniel Jackson - like Simmo - first game of the pre-season and had limited game time. Nothing flashy but his altercation with Varcoe was entertaining. Good goal in the 3rd

25. Angus Graham - didn't play but should have a look at Simmo's tape of this game  ;D

26. Robin Nahas - as mentioned already - disappointed with Nahas' game. Missed to many targets especially in the first half. Much better in the 2nd half when he played as a permanant forward. Not sure we can afford to have him running of the HB line

27. Tom Hislop - kicking at times continues to be shocking  :D but his defensive pressure and attack on contest in the forward line creates opportunities for the Roberts of this world

28. Jake King - rarely noticed Jake no impact

29. Tyrone Vickery - much better game from Ty. He just seemed to play with more confidence knowing Simmo was in the side. Based on yesterday for round one Simmo & Vickery to be our ruck division

30. Richard Tambling- started on the bench (first 3 minutes) after that he was away and one of the best on the day.

31. Adam Thomson - very good game indeed. Super quick hands at stoppages

32. Ben Cousins - a typical Cuz game - all class  ;D

36. Dustin Martin - quiet day compared to Tassie but in a way a good thing - he will learn. But credit to the kid he didn't drop his head

40. Kelvin Moore - terrific game from Kel. His running out of the back half set up many drives into our F50 and his disposal this week was spot on  :clapping

43. Matt Dea - was super impressed with this kid. Terrific body size = very solid. Reads the play well and actually played "tall" a couple of times. Good clean disposal majority of the time

44. Troy Taylor - started well but I think ran out of "puff". Needs to work hard on his 2nd efforts a couple of times he was very slow in reacting and didn't chase. But overall a good start - certainly has great skills and a good turn of pace

46. Jeromey Webberley - didn't come on until the 2nd half but it was worth it. First kick was a shocker (turnover) but after that terrific. At one point in the final qtr he ran the ball from the HBF line to just outside 50 - we wanted him to have a shot but he did the team thing and looked for the target - I was so disppointed  :rollin

50. Relton Roberts - fantastic first up game. Magical skills and brillant footy smarts. And when he puts the burners on - he isi bloody fast  :clapping Defensive pressure was excellent along with his 2nd and 3rd efforts. WOuld have done his chances of senior list promotion no harm at all
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 09:17:56 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #226 on: February 28, 2010, 04:25:06 PM »
Hey WP,

Thanks for the report.

Did Geebung put us under strong zoning defensive pressure?

richmondrules

« Reply #227 on: February 28, 2010, 08:09:05 PM »
Great report WP. Thanks  :thumbsup

Tiggytam

« Reply #228 on: February 28, 2010, 08:20:56 PM »

Like the shot of Luke streching out for the ball (who is that behin him?) i didnt realise he had a good leap on him.

I don't think that isn't Luke #16, it looks more like Tom Hislop to me but as he has a number on his back ending with 6 it may be Nahas.  The hair colour is wrong and those aren't Lukes legs, but then I could be completely wrong.  My initial thought was it was Dustin Martin #36. 

Offline crannyvegas

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #229 on: February 28, 2010, 08:48:50 PM »
Just a little comment on what i saw at Yea.

Nice little place Yea, it was the first time i have been through that Kinglake area since the fires and if you haven't been yet it’s worth a look. The scars it has left are just overwhelming, never really understood the magnitude of what occurred till this weekend.

That aside WP and a couple of others have done very well to summarize the game so i'll just add some things i noticed.

I was near the interchange for most of the match and it was really interesting to see what state the players came off in. Those in their first game were blowing pretty hard, to be expected of course. Cotchin seem to be struggling a little more than the rest of the midfielders, which makes you wonder what he could produce when he is fully match fit. I really wish Jake King had better skills as he is so vocal and you can see he loves the team and his mates, such a pity really.

The game, well it would be really nice if teams could drop out 12 starting players ever time we play them. The space afforded to players like Deledio and Tambling really helped them to shine. A couple of times Lids ran through the centre with space and it was just a beautiful sight, hopefully we are surrounding him players that can afford him that space on a more regular basis.

I can see now why we kept Simmonds, he just brings that bit more experience and stronger body in the middle which will help when swapping roles with Vickery/Browne/Graham. He isn’t the greatest but he does help.

Troy Taylor surprised me with his size, a lot taller than I expected and in a few years could really be something that will worry defenders. Matty Dea was also a surprise I expected a lean basketballer type body, but he has some good muscle already.

Relton Roberts caused a buzz around the area I was. After his first couple of attacks on the ball and magical pickups there was an expectant chatter every time he got near it. Has tremendous vision and one of those players that has more time than everyone else. Oh and he lays a heavy tackle too.

All in all I felt like our undoubtedly talented midfield got a lot more help from either end. Defense looked solid, but there wasn’t a whole lot to defend (though Podsiadly would both worth considering in your DT).

Our forwards were getting a lot more balls to their advantage which is such a sight to behold, I have long thought that the midfielders hate the forwards or vice versa as they seem to make each other’s jobs so difficult. A lot better yesterday.

So as long each team’s drops a dozen players we should do very well this year, haahah. But seriously there were some genuine positive signs and I again look forward to the season, but more so the seasons ahead.
Detka! Detka! Detka!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #230 on: February 28, 2010, 09:06:39 PM »

Not really - that's one of the reasons I rated Polak so highly. I think Geelong looks towards to Scarlett as one of their keys for that and he wasn't able to play that role

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #231 on: February 28, 2010, 09:09:48 PM »
A couple of pics

Hitting the pitcuresque Yea Oval

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #232 on: February 28, 2010, 09:13:13 PM »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #233 on: February 28, 2010, 11:29:01 PM »
Nice pics WP. Cotch and Ty were good enough to stare down the lens  ;D

17. Chris Newman - dare I say it - solid game by the skipper - everything he did was clean and precise. Clearly he is one of the "go to" guys runnng out of the back half
Turning into a Newy fan WP  ;D

Cheers WP, cranny and everyone for their detailed reports. A great read  :thumbsup  :clapping :cheers
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #234 on: March 01, 2010, 01:57:53 AM »

Not really - that's one of the reasons I rated Polak so highly. I think Geelong looks towards to Scarlett as one of their keys for that and he wasn't able to play that role

I was really pleased to see the Tigers play a more direct style of footy this week. The kicking into the F50 involved much longer kicks than what we saw down in Tassie.

The other thing too was there was alot more running out of the back line which meant the linking up through the middle via handball worked more often than not and players receiving the handball were not under as much pressure. Also when we did switch play in the back half we tried to go forward and across as opposed to the other week when we usually went either just across or backwards and across. We also didn't seem to go as wide and when did there appeared to be a effort to get the ball back in the corridor. 

And just on the game plan - when it works it is great to watch and will win you a lot of games. When it doesn't come off (like Tassie) it is awful and you could get thumped. We have a very young side and as a result I reckon we are going to have good days and shockers but I did come away yesterday thinking there is a tiny (more likely miniscule) light at then end of a very very long tunnel - we just have to kept persisting with these kids
The game plan has worked fairly well in our past 5 quarters when we didn't have to counter a cluster zone and there was room to run, link up and go long and direct. When the zone is in place if you can't penetrate it quickly with fast clean precise disposal (see Dogs on Friday night) then it forces your defenders to kick wide and backwards when you switch play and traps you forcing you into error. Interesting to see in the season proper what the cubs have learnt from the Hawthorn game and how we'll adapt if faced with that cluster zone again. Opposition coaches will surely use the cluster zone quite often against us, seeing how we struggled big time with it, until we show the maturity, discipline, speed and skill to counter it. You're right WP it won't be pretty to watch in the short-term until we do.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #235 on: March 01, 2010, 01:59:09 AM »

Like the shot of Luke streching out for the ball (who is that behin him?) i didnt realise he had a good leap on him.

I don't think that isn't Luke #16, it looks more like Tom Hislop to me but as he has a number on his back ending with 6 it may be Nahas.  The hair colour is wrong and those aren't Lukes legs, but then I could be completely wrong.  My initial thought was it was Dustin Martin #36. 
It looks like Martin to me but I could be wrong.

Tiggytam

« Reply #236 on: March 01, 2010, 06:05:59 AM »
Yeah I am pretty sure it is Dustin as well MT, on a second look.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #237 on: March 01, 2010, 09:22:58 AM »
Excellent reports WP & Cranny and great pics WP.  :thumbsup :thumbsup What a fantastic country footy oval. Ground looks superb from the pics.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #238 on: March 01, 2010, 09:52:20 AM »

Opposition coaches will surely use the cluster zone quite often against us, seeing how we struggled big time with it, until we show the maturity, discipline, speed and skill to counter it. You're right WP it won't be pretty to watch in the short-term until we do.

It's a double-edged sword in some way MT.  Just like us last year, when we tried to apply the zone and weren't skillful/disciplined enough to carry it off allowing opposition sides to rebound from our mistakes, so it will be with many other sides who are only learning to play such an intense zoning type of game.  Hawthorn are head and shoulders above the other clubs who try this as we saw 2 weeks ago but we will have opportunities against other clubs because we are now learning how to play against it correctly and we are practicing the specific skills needed to do so.  Let them try - I think some might have their pants pulled down and bums spanked in the mistaken belief that they are dealing with the 'same old Richmond'.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #239 on: March 01, 2010, 12:23:38 PM »
Looks like we are playing the Pies at Visy Next! Should be interesting.