Author Topic: Winning Together - The path ahead for the Richmond Football Club  (Read 13185 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Richmond has unveiled a bold, united and accountable vision of the future.

Winning Together: the path ahead for the Richmond Football Club, is a plan about building the capacity of the organisation to deliver its 11th league premiership.

It features real goals, real expectations and real accountability.

Richmond’s goals relate to football performance, the strength of its relationship with its members, commercial popularity and financial strength.

The plan involves eight strategic pathways, many major initiatives and hundreds of discrete tasks which will need to be achieved along the way in order to succeed.

In essence, it will mean that by 2014, Richmond expects to deliver 3-0-75:

- 3 finals appearances, including one top-four finish
- 0 debt
- 75,000 members

Last week in the Punt Road gymnasium, all Richmond players, coaches and staff, along with Club directors, gathered to hear CEO Brendon Gale outline the Tigers’ vision for building the next era of sustained Yellow and Black success.

READ the edited transcript of Gale’s speech

DOWNLOAD the PDF (739kb): Winning Together: the path ahead for the Richmond Football Club

WATCH the Winning Together video (below).
http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/winningtogetherrichmondsvision/tabid/15867/default.aspx

To be a part of the journey, SIGN UP as a Richmond member by clicking here

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Winning Together - The path ahead for the Richmond Football Club
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 10:54:54 AM »
 :clapping :clapping :clapping

Bravo Benny. We are so lucky to have you on board.
Hopefully this bold vision comes to fruition.

Eat 'em alive!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Our plan for a winning future: Gale (RFC)
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 10:59:25 AM »
Our plan for a winning future
Brendan Gale
richmondfc.com.au
Wed 10 March, 2010

Last week in the Punt Road gymnasium, all Richmond players, coaches and staff, along with Club directors, gathered to hear CEO Brendon Gale outline the Tigers’ vision for building the next era of sustained Yellow and Black success.  Here is an edited transcript of Gale’s speech . . .

“I’m a proud Richmond man.

All that I’ve been able to achieve in football - and after football - has come from what I have learned from the people, culture and history of this great club.

Everybody in this room has the same opportunity this club has given me, and I hope, everybody in this room will do more - much more - with that opportunity.

I was privileged to have played 244 games for the Tigers from 1990-2001, a period in which we played in just two finals series.

From 1980 to 2010, we have had many, many fine contributors, both on and off the field, and indeed, we have been successful on a range of measures - but not on the measure that matters most.  For a big, proud club that, historically, has been hard-wired for success, where premiership success is part of our DNA - collectively, we have been a failure.

Matthew Richardson is one of our greatest players, a Tiger through and through. He played 282 games from 1993, won the Jack Dyer Medal, kicked 800 goals, second on the all-time goalkicking list at Punt Road, and finished third in the Brownlow Medal in his second-last season. He played in just one finals series.  A great career, for a club which failed him. I could go on, Campbell, Knights, Kellaway, Broderick, Free, Bowden, etc. etc.

As much as it hurts me to say it, the fact is, we have been a collective failure.
In 2010, we have 16 players, who have the chance to make their debut at our Club, this season - David Astbury, Pat Contin, Matt Dea, Mitch Farmer, Alroy Gilligan, David Gourdis, Ben Griffiths, Dylan Grimes, Robert Hicks, Dustin Martin, Ben Nason, James O’Reilly, Relton Roberts, Troy Taylor, Jeromey Webberley, and Nick Westhoff.

Twenty years ago, any of you could have been Tony Free, ‘Cambo’, or ‘Richo’ . . . excited to be joining a great club, a proud club, a club that had thrived on success.
Look at each other, and think - can you imagine the next 20 years playing at this club, AND PLAYING IN JUST TWO FINALS SERIES.

NEVER PLAYING IN A GRAND FINAL?

WINNING NOTHING!

Can you imagine?

Can any of us imagine this - reaching 2030 with NO MORE PREMIERSHIPS!

It’s an intolerable thought, and one that only we, yes WE, can eliminate.

This room holds the future of the Richmond Football Club in its hand.

This room is not our present; this room is our future - all of us, Board Members, Administration, Football Department, players.

All that is missing are our members, our loyal and hungry members, but the truth is, they are helpless.

They can only rely on us. We cannot fail them.

2010 is year one in the application of a plan that is based not on hope, not on a wish, not on rhetoric, but a plan that defines who we are and what we stand for; a plan that puts the right people in the right places; a plan that is ambitious, but patient; a plan that relies on all of us to succeed; a plan with real goals, expectations and accountability.

Our plan is based on TRUTH - on the recent success of clubs like ours, clubs that have been through similar droughts, and have come through to be dominant forces in RAPID TIME.

We will do the same.

Our plan is not based on wondering why things have gone wrong, and then blaming those who have gone before us,  but on knowing why things go right.

We all know of the success of Geelong over the last three years.
Was that a fluke?  Of course it wasn’t.

The backbone of Geelong’s success was put together in a room like this, with a group like this, with a plan like ours, at the start of this decade.

Think of these names, and when they, like you, stood before their mates and started their careers.  Ling, Corey and Chapman debuted in 2000, Enright in 2001, Ablett, Bartel, Rooke, Kelly and Johnson in 2002.

At the end of the 2002 season, a season where Geelong finished 12th, the Cats had not won a premiership for 40 seasons.

At the start of the 2010 season, Richmond has not won a premiership for 30 seasons.
Geelong did it by applying simple processes to maximise the opportunity that all AFL clubs have.

The Cats planned for their success, they brought in good people, who worked together. They acted and made decisions in accordance with a strong set of values. They believed in themselves and their plan. They stuck to their plan and remained loyal to each other when the really tough questions were being asked of them.

At the Richmond Football Club we will establish and entrench a “brand” or “culture”, or simply a Richmond way of doing things, that both defines and binds us.

From this gathering on:

- We will be a UNITED Club and all of us will unite behind our team.
- We will be RELENTLESS - in pursuit of excellence, in sticking to our plan and never deviating, and in the way we apply ourselves to our goals.
- We will PROUD of our past and what we have achieved,     and we will be ambitious about our future, and of what we will achieve.
- We will be LEADERS - in terms of our thinking and people, and in terms of our relationship with our community.
- These are the benchmarks that will make Richmond a POWERFUL and GLORIOUS place to be over the next decade.
- Occasionally, you will be reminded of our successful past and see players and officials involved with that era in and around the Club. Some are with us today. They’re not people that provoke jealousy.
- They represent what YOU will represent - they represent WINNING.
- Our coach - who has come from successful, united clubs - represents WINNING.

So must WE.

I’ve had a gutful of representing an era of failure.

Many of you are tired of failure.

Many of you newcomers have never known failure.

And many of you newcomers must never know failure.

Together, our entire club is motivated by the vision of our future in 2020. It’s a vision of greatness and leadership that we describe as THE POWER and THE GLORY. By 2020, we aspire to have won our 13th Premiership; consistently provide the most exciting and powerful match-day experience in the competition; once again have the strongest support base in the nation, and enjoy the strongest emotional connection with our members and fans.

We acknowledge that we have an enormous amount of work to do, in the most competitive of competitions, in the most competitive era of our history, if we are to realise our vision. Therefore, the next five years is about building the capacity, or “horsepower” of our organisation, to deliver. Our plan features real goals with real measurements that need to be achieved along the way in order to succeed. These goals relate to our football performance, the strength of our relationship with our members, commercial popularity and financial strength.

If we could boil the whole plan to its fundamental essence, it means that by 2014 we expect to deliver 3- 0 -75

• 3 finals appearances (including 1 top 4 finish)
• zero debt
• 75,000 members

This is a plan that aligns the efforts and expectations of everyone associated with the Club. It is a plan to succeed.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/90372/default.aspx

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 11:00:24 AM »
Once Benny mentioned the 100k members that have lapsed, 75k doesn't seem that impossible.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Our plan for a winning future: Gale (RFC)
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 11:19:26 AM »
By 2020, we aspire to have won our 13th Premiership; consistently provide the most exciting and powerful match-day experience in the competition; once again have the strongest support base in the nation, and enjoy the strongest emotional connection with our members and fans.

Geez I'll take just the one cup Benny, let alone 3 more by the time we get to the next decade.  :cheers

Excellent though, haven't seen the club this organised since I began supporting the Tiges.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 11:22:10 AM »
from the PDF file:

Winning Together

The path ahead for the Richmond Football Club

Transformation of our club and restoring our capacity to win an 11th premiership, based on 2014 targets of three finals series, zero debt and 75,000 members.

The Richmond Football Club Strategic Plan, 2010-14, is a plan that aligns the efforts and expectations of everyone associated with the Club. It is a plan to succeed.

By 2014, the Richmond Football Club expects to deliver:

* 3 FINALS SERIES

* 0 DEBT

* 75,000 MEMBERS

Our Vision

Our The Power & The Glory

Together our entire club is motivated by the vision of our future in 2020. It is a vision of greatness that we define as the Power and the Glory.

By 2020, we aspire to:

• Have won our 13th premiership.

• Consistently provide the most powerful and exciting match-day experience in the competition.

• Once again have the most powerful supporter base in the country.

• Enjoy the AFL’s strongest and most powerful connection with our members and fans.

The Tiger Values

The Richmond Football Club values connect our past, present and future. Anchored on being relentless and united as a club, while showing leadership and pride in everything we do, they extend from within the club to our interaction with the football community and beyond.

And these are the values that will return the club to sustained success in the AFL.

Yellow and Black

We are Proud to be Yellow & Black, reflected in our five brand icons: the Jumper, the Emblem, the Punt Road Oval, the Theme Song and you, the Tiger Army. This pride recognises the respect we share for our heritage and our belief in the future, and bonds this football club in its single ambition: an 11th Richmond premiership.

Yellow & Black is Relentless in this pursuit of success. Driven by discipline and a clear vision of what we want to achieve – both as individuals and together – we remain hungry, an all-consuming need for sustained success.

Yellow & Black Unites us. Each individual is aware of their responsibilities and understands that whatever one individual can achieve will never equal what we can achieve together. We are united behind our team, and we exist for our members, a Yellow & Black army that shares a passion and commitment to this Club.

Finally, Yellow & Back is Leadership, which is defined by actions, not titles or positions. We provide a leading environment for our people to develop, perform and realise their true potential in a culture of continuous improvement and innovation. Together we seek ways to establish and exceed new standards in pursuit of our goals. We are a huge club with a huge heart – our community development and social inclusion are without peer.

Our Plan

2010 is year one of a five-year plan that features real goals, real expectations and real accountability.

The plan is about building the capacity, or muscle, of our organisation, to deliver our goals.

These goals relate to football performance, the strength of our relationship with our members, commercial popularity and financial strength.

Our plan involves eight strategic pathways, many major initiatives and hundreds of discrete tasks which will need to be achieved in order to succeed.

However, if we could boil the plan down to its fundamental essence, it will mean that by 2014, we expect to deliver 3-0-75.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/portals/0/richmond_docs/strategic%20plan%20pdf.pdf

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 11:38:13 AM »
At least this is very impressive but is a blueprint and something to work with.
A goal(s) setting is something that needs to be achieved rather than a taken mentioning of it that other admins and coaches seem to talk about it.
In two years we will definentely know if we are on track on all 3. Nevertheless I like the way Benny is conducting himself and expressing himself. Top drawer. :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Our plan for a winning future: Gale (RFC)
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 12:24:07 PM »
By 2020, we aspire to have won our 13th Premiership; consistently provide the most exciting and powerful match-day experience in the competition; once again have the strongest support base in the nation, and enjoy the strongest emotional connection with our members and fans.

Geez I'll take just the one cup Benny, let alone 3 more by the time we get to the next decade.  :cheers
Yep 3 flags in an era of 18 teams, the draft, salary cap and free agency is a massive wishlist. As you say TA I'd be happy with just one in the next decade. As always the proof will be in the pudding. At the moment it's just words.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 07:11:48 PM »
3 Finals Series, not flags.

And it is attainable.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 07:17:07 PM »
3 Finals Series, not flags.

And it is attainable.

Damo it is 3 finals series by 2015 and 3 premierships by 2020.

Which I think isn't a bad aim - if you win one, you should be aiming to win more than one.

Most good sides over the journey have more than one bite at the cherry. Brisbane could have won 4, Geelong 3+, Essendon 2, West Coast 2, Sydney 2, North were good enough to win more than 2 etc

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 10:06:03 PM »
True Jake. The Bombers thankfully missed out in 99 and 2001. Port were up for 4 years and could have one more than the one they did if they didn't choke in the 2001-3 final series.

Although aiming for 3 flags within the next 10 years is a huge ask, the one thing I like about it is it drives home an attitude of never being satisfied. To stay on top is harder than getting there. Only great sides that continually aim to be better still reach such heights. In the past the club was probably contented to just be back in the finals and finishing top 4 after being a regular bottom side. We thought the next step wasn't far away and topped up our list accordingly when in fact we were miles away from being genuine contenders as shown by the flogging we copped in both the 95 and 2001 finals.   
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 10:07:17 PM »
Maybe I am getting old

Maybe I am just getting more cynical after so many seasons of disappointed

And to be honest I cannot believe I am saying this but ....

I read it and thought "yeah OK fair enough but I just didn't find it inspiring me and that's probably because I've been let down so many times".

Maybe I am in "lull" but I just want to see some results this time round

Give me time .... I'll come around but until then "whack" away  :rollin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 10:28:05 PM »
Fair call Willy P and for me it's because of being let down so many times.
I really do think waiting 12 months wouldve helped everyones cause....we're all just holding our breath a little, hoping to believe.
I think it is hard to sound impressive but so much harder to deliver on the message.
TW had good pipes too.
I am personally a bit sick of Richmond turning to the supporters for money-I understand it must be a pillar of revenue but it is all a bit predictable.
Do something, win some games the members will come.
The vision around revenue raising should give the Marketing and Sponsorship dept some empowerment - signing new members is not a very strategic or liberating vision.
In the next few years, Richmonds revenue raising strategies need breadth not depth - phase 2 should see the kick in revenue once the wins start to come. Then you have that nice multi layered revenue that Eagles, Pies and Crows enjoy.
Right now our ratio of member to sponsor revenue is far too high and we want to increase that ratio.

It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

jackstar is back again

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 11:27:19 PM »
will say one thing though, there is no comparison between B. Gale and S. Wright ::)

tony_montana

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 11:47:43 PM »
will say one thing though, there is no comparison between B. Gale and S. Wright ::)

obviously in the public relations area, but i've heard on good authority that wright was a very good operator and with much respected busness acumen

Your making it sound like he was a dud and i know that wasn't the case. What are you implying?