Author Topic: Breaking news  (Read 6523 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Breaking news
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2004, 02:33:49 AM »
Schwab just came across to me HB as more interested in using the situtation to take another dig at Casey rather than being truly disappointed that an obvious asset to the Club like Rex could be was ineligible to run for the board. This has been the problem with the alternative all along. They have month after month been only focussed on Casey's head. It's less than two weeks until we receive the ballot papers and we still haven't seen or heard of their plans for the future.

While I agree employees should stay out of Club politics (Miller shouldn't run for the board), I don't have a problem with the Club doing its utmost to attract the best people to the Club whether they be players, coaches, recruiters, sponsors, administrators or board members. 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Casey gives up on Rex
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2004, 02:36:56 AM »
Casey gives up on Rex
20 November 2004   
Herald Sun
Damian Barrett

THE Rex to Richmond push is dead. Tigers president Clinton Casey last night conceded the bid to secure media identity Rex Hunt as a club director had struck too many obstacles.

Hunt, ineligible to stand for the board because he is not a club member, had earlier reiterated his intention to leave Casey and his directors to fight next month's election against a Charles Macek-led ticket without him.

"I respect Rex's decision, but I am disappointed with what has happened with him because he would have made an enormous contribution to this club," Casey said last night.

"It is a big loss to the club and it is very disappointing he has been put through this. He does not deserve it.

"In the event we win the election, he can expect a knock on the door from me."

Casey, football director Greg Miller and coach Terry Wallace had this week sought Hunt's inclusion as a director.

Hunt said last night he would support Wallace and the club from a distance, "as I have done all my life".

"I wish Terry and the club all the best," he said. "Whoever gets in, if they call me and I have got time, I will help them."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,11441121%255E20322,00.html

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2004, 07:17:37 AM »
Miller, Wallace take sides
By Caroline Wilson The Age
November 20, 2004

The embarrassing Rex Hunt affair has clarified at least one element of the murky scenario that simply becomes murkier at Tigerland.

If there was ever any doubt over who was running Clinton Casey's election campaign, then that doubt dissipated with the revelation that Greg Miller had been chasing Hunt for four weeks and even tracked him down in Arnhem Land some 10 days ago.

He visited Hunt with Casey and coach Terry Wallace on Monday night and officially asked the famous football commentator to run on Casey's ticket.

This is despite the fact that Wallace had reportedly requested a guarantee from Casey that he would be left out of the politics. And despite the official address from Richmond's new chief executive Steven Wright to all staff to remain independent of the boardroom battle.

If anyone ever believed Miller would remain at Richmond should Casey be defeated next month, then they also now know the opposite to be true. That much, at least, has been settled despite all the blarney that has been spoken over recent days.

Miller first made a name for himself in club circles in the early 1980s as a recruiting man, one of the best in the business. Graeme Richmond himself tried to lure him to Tigerland back then. And he has proved in his time at Richmond that he will go to exhaustive lengths to get his man.

Three days ago he was hunting down a young footballer in Darwin and last year he flew to London on an impulse to lure Dean Solomon, having engineered an agreement among his senior players to take a collective pay cut in order to secure the Bomber.

That bid failed despite Miller's best efforts. But the Rex Hunt attempt fell apart for the ridiculous reason that Hunt was not a member - something Miller had been warned about four days ago but apparently did not check. That it was never checked before the three-man visit remains unfathomable.

There is so much that is bewilderingly stupid about this farce that it is difficult to know where to start. Casey, in a series of radio interviews yesterday, chose to blame the entire episode on his opposition, a premise difficult to justify given that it could have been worse had the oversight been exposed following Hunt's planned official announcement on Sunday.

Casey also inaccurately said the move to lure Hunt had only just begun and therefore it had been too early to check his membership. The Herald Sun, he said, had exposed the campaign move prematurely. Wrong.

Hunt had already officially sought 3AW's blessing and Miller, as previously reported, had been calling him for weeks and had put the vice-presidency to Hunt on Monday.

The opposing ticket led by Charles Macek has taken the opportunity to say the entire exercise only underlines Casey's allegedly sloppy, mistake-riddled tenure.

But the Macek camp lacks focus, not least because the group lacks a clear front-person - not helped by Macek being low-profile and now overseas - and also because it seems to stand for little but ousting Casey.

While Wallace was clearly seconded by the chairman to visit Hunt - his former media colleague - there appears to be some friction between the new coach and Casey's opponents.

Further complicating what has been portrayed by some as a clear choice between two tickets is not only the voting process, which lists opposing candidates in a senate-style manner, but the fact that Casey's ticket is far from complete.

His board is divided with at least two directors - Rob Turner and John Matthies - clearly on the outer and a third, in Motorola boss Alan Niklos, considering resigning for business reasons.

Turner and Matthies have reportedly been assured by Casey that he would keep them on his ticket for the December spill but it is understood Turner would have been tapped on the shoulder to make way for Hunt and could well have refused. Neither current director was aware of the Hunt bid.

It is understood that Matthies, a lawyer elected by the Richmond members in January by defeating Tony Jewell, will refuse to stand down for the spill if Casey does not keep him on board.

Confused? Politics has always operated in its own unique and devastating style at Richmond but the days when the boys found success by kicking it long to Royce seem a lifetime away.

http://www.theage.com.au/realfooty/news/Caroline-Wilson/Miller-Wallace-take-sides/2004/11/19/1100838226820.html
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Online cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2004, 08:07:18 AM »
If it was Miller that was chasing Hunt - He obviously and strongly wants a Casey ticket so finally there is stability at the club

In that case I will be voting for Casey's ticket - Not saying Casey is the all mighty but a much better option than Schwab's ticket.

The Schwab went on and on when I heard him on SEN when this broke just shows to me he is in it for HIMSELF and HIMSELF only.

I really really have had a gutful of all this. and to be quite honest I think the media and some people blow it out of all proportion.

Posiive 1

We will be fine  :thumbsup Caseys ticket will win and Schwab and his cronies can go and hide under a rock and sulk for the rest of their lives. because that's what they will do - they wont want to help RFC when it's all over - which will show their true colours - IMO

Positive 2

Today - 2 hours to go to the draft and I think I am starting to drool  :lol

Positive 3

Come January we WILL be stable with a good mix of old and new - and to be honest I cant wait.

;D

All the fuss is because it is RICHMOND and we have not been where we belong the last 20 years - That Will change  :thumbsup :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2004, 09:32:48 PM »
Terry said he was asked by Casey and Miller? to come down and outline to Rex the future plans of the Club so he doesn't think he was playing politics or taking sides. Said he wasn't aware up to then of us putting to Rex to join the board. An ambassador role was maybe also thought of (I didn't catch this last bit properly). 

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2004, 01:24:34 PM »
Doesn't it say something that Rex Hunt was prepared to join the Casey ticket?

Not the Schwab ticket but the Casey ticket?

Up until that point Rex had not taken sides but he comitted to the Casey ticket. Sure there's been a stuff up but at the end of the day the fact is Rex was prepared to work with Casey. It has to mean something.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2004, 05:14:13 PM »
Doesn't it say something that Rex Hunt was prepared to join the Casey ticket?

Not the Schwab ticket but the Casey ticket?

Up until that point Rex had not taken sides but he comitted to the Casey ticket. Sure there's been a stuff up but at the end of the day the fact is Rex was prepared to work with Casey. It has to mean something.

Maybe Casey promised him a juice bar?

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2004, 06:04:38 PM »

Maybe Casey promised him a juice bar?

Touche 1980 ;D

I'll pay that  :rollin :lol :rollin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)