Author Topic: Breaking news  (Read 6580 times)

Offline mellowyellow

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
Breaking news
« on: November 18, 2004, 06:42:39 PM »
According to both 3aw and SEN rex is ineligable to be nominated for the richmond board because he is not a paid up member.

You'd think both rex and casey would have checked for any discrepencies (sp?) that might have impeded him from contesting, would have been checked.But something so basic as not being signed up will make the club and its members a laughing stock.

Top effort guys  >:(

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
Re: Breaking news
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 06:50:36 PM »
According to both 3aw and SEN rex is ineligable to be nominated for the richmond board because he is not a paid up member.

You'd think both rex and casey would have checked for any discrepencies (sp?) that might have impeded him from contesting, would have been checked.But something so basic as not being signed up will make the club and its members a laughing stock.

Top effort guys  >:(

stuff, if this is true then  :gobdrop :gobdrop :gobdrop :gobdrop :gobdrop :gobdrop :gobdrop

:banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 07:10:40 PM »
If this is true and he's not a member then this is a total and stupid stuff up. Should be easy to confirm something as obvious as this whether Rex is a member or not :gobdrop
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mellowyellow

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 07:34:26 PM »

http://www.sportal.com.au/football.asp?i=news&id=59060

Stuff up of the highest degree.

Plenty of egg on faces alround by the casey ticket come tomorrow.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 08:23:04 PM »
I posted earlier on another thread that Hunt could be the torpedo that sinks the schwab ship. Maybe I should have said Hunt could be the torpedo that explodes before it leaves the tube :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 08:26:05 PM »
SEN are waiting for Casey (in a meeting) and Rex (signing books) to speak to them.

Rex said in a grab that his assistant forgot! Said he'll accept the constitution and will watch from a distance.

Schwab called Casey incompetent.

They just said Casey will be on in 10-15 minutes.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004, 09:30:27 PM »
Casey won't be on until tomorrow morning on Morning Glory. He's checking with lawyers as we speak. The only loophole that may exist (and I emphasize "may") is if Rex is a life member (don't know if he is) and whether that then classes you as a "financial" member. Rex is a coterie member (pays $1000s to the club) but not a financial member ($140) so that makes him ineligible not only to run for the board but to vote as well.

Of course he can run or be appointed next year if he takes out a membership.

Wallace apparently made the first move to ask Rex and Casey jumped on board when Rex showed interest.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2004, 09:35:45 PM by mightytiges »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2004, 11:20:28 PM »
The Herald-Sun back page will be about the Rex-Casey stuff-up.

Casey is trying to still get Rex involved at the Club.

Schwab and Macek said they'll challenge any legal moves by Casey to get Rex on the Board  ::).

Rex thought he was a member because the letters he receives from the coterie group begin with "Dear Member".

Bulluss

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004, 11:37:57 PM »
From what i heard on the radio, the board has the ability to have up to 12 members.

If 9 people get appointed via the upcoming election, then once next year comes along they can add Rex to the board as they have just done with that new financial dude.

Thats what i heard, does this comply with the constitution?

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2004, 11:40:53 PM »
Schwab and Macek should be very carefull here because if they are seen as activly suppressing Rex from trying to get on the board (even if they are right)  then It could back fire on them big time. Rex is very well liked by the supporters.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2004, 11:54:55 PM »
This is what the constitution says Bully:

8.1.1 ...  the management of the Club shall be vested in the Board which shall consist of nine members of the Board (including the President, Vice President and the Treasurer) ....

It says nine but there could be a corporate law clause ? that may allow it. I don't know.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2004, 12:01:59 AM »
Schwab and Macek should be very carefull here because if they are seen as activly suppressing Rex from trying to get on the board (even if they are right)  then It could back fire on them big time. Rex is very well liked by the supporters.

Rex accused Schwab's side of running to Caro to dob him in. Said he accepted what the constitution says but basically called the alternative gutless for not contacting him to tell him he wasn't a member.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Membership oversight puts Rex out of Hunt
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2004, 02:05:35 AM »
Membership oversight puts Rex out of Hunt
By Caroline Wilson, Jake Niall
realfooty.theage.com.au
November 19, 2004

Media commentator Rex Hunt last night was forced into a humiliating retreat from his plan to stand for the Richmond board when it was discovered he was not a paid-up member of the club.

But club president Clinton Casey and his supporters last night were still exploring avenues that would enable Hunt to join the board as vice-president, even after next month's election.

Hunt, having learned that he was ineligible, said yesterday he would not stand for the election but board sources last night suggested that he remained willing to consider joining the board after the poll - assuming the Casey forces emerged victorious.

Hunt, a former Richmond premiership player, was preparing to stand on the Casey ticket - which is contesting an election against a group headed by Charles Macek and Brendan Schwab - when it was discovered that despite his generous involvement in the club (he paid $8500 for a photo of the 1969 premiership team and hosts club functions for free), he was ineligible as he was not a paid-up member. Hunt, according to Schwab, has not been a financial member in any year since computer records were first kept in 1995.

According to the club's articles of association, only members can stand for election to the board and the cut-off date for joining was August 31, seemingly ruling Hunt out of a place on Casey's ticket for the coming election. Hunt had believed he was a member until quizzed about it by The Age late yesterday.

He said that as a member of the past players' and Tom Hafey Club supporter groups, he thought he was a financial member. Football director Greg Miller, who was involved in recruiting Hunt to the Casey team, had thought that, as a former premiership player, he was a life member.

Hunt phoned The Age back several minutes later to indicate he was not, in fact, a member. Later, he expressed his disappointed on 3AW. "I thought I could make a difference by inspiring people who had drifted away from the club to come back with their kids and give them the ride of their lives.

"I'm probably glad what's happened has happened because I just think I was just going to give myself far too much grief. I think that sometimes my love of things gets me into trouble. If the constitution says that I can't stand, I won't stand, I'll walk away. I'll still love the club but I'll take a back seat."

While Hunt had publicly withdrawn from the election, board sources last night indicated he could still be "manoeuvred" on to the board, by running him as a "silent member" of the ticket. This could be done by nominating a "sacrificial lamb" who would stand on Casey's ticket, with voters made aware he would be replaced by Hunt post-election. Casey was also investigating legal options.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/11/18/1100748140761.html?oneclick=true

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Casey caught by Rex Hunt line
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2004, 02:07:10 AM »
Casey caught by Rex Hunt line
19 November 2004   
Herald Sun
Damian Barrett

RICHMOND president Clinton Casey vowed last night to "move heaven and earth" to secure Rex Hunt as his deputy, despite the media identity being ineligible to run for the board.

Hunt's failure to officially enrol as a club member disqualifies him under the Tigers' constitution from running on Casey's ticket at next month's election.

But Casey said he would seek ways to ensure Hunt became involved with the club.

"Rex has shown a commitment to Richmond – I want him, I know the Richmond members want him and we will move heaven and earth to get him, whatever it takes," Casey told the Herald Sun.

"I will sit down with my board to sort this out."

Having yesterday claimed he was an "80 per cent starter", Hunt last night told the Herald Sun, "I'm goin' fishin' mate, and that's a shame".

The oversight in Hunt's membership clouds Casey's battle against a Charles Macek-led ticket that will be decided at the December 22 annual general meeting.

The Richmond constitution stipulates prospective directors must have enrolled as members by August 31.

Hunt told the Herald Sun last night he had assumed he was a member of the club because of involvement with several entities related to it.

"I am not taking any responsibility because all I was doing was helping out the Richmond Football Club with my strengths," Hunt said.

"My strengths are my heart on my sleeve and my unquestionable loyalty to Richmond.

"It never even passed my mind I wouldn't be a member because I am a member of the past players' association, I am a member of the Tommy Hafey club, I have given a substantial amount to the Tommy Hafey club over the past six months to make sure junior development comes on.

"I get a weekly e-mail addressed to Rex Hunt that says `Dear member'. I just assumed I was a member."

Hunt recently purchased an auction item at a Hafey club function for more than $8000.

The Macek group claimed Hunt had not been listed as a member since computer records were first kept in 1995.

"If this is what it is all about, and if this grief is going to be directed to me, I'm going fishin', mate, and that is a shame," Hunt said.

"Eddie (McGuire) rang me and Eddie said, `Isn't it a shame that someone with so much energy and enthusiasm and most importantly so much pull within the corporate industry that Richmond so desperately needs has been forced out . . .'.

"I was prepared to endure the pain, I was prepared to be patient, I was prepared to talk to kids and talk to members and talk to prospective sponsors.

"But, just leave me out of this. I want to fight a black and white or a blue and white jumper in a Grand Final.

"I don't want to fight a bloke wearing the same colours as me in the board room."

Macek ticket member Brendan Schwab said the Hunt oversight was damning for Casey. "We feel this highlights the incompetence of Clinton Casey when it comes to corporate governance, financial management and the attention to detail that is required to run a complex business such as an AFL club," Schwab said.

"We are disappointed that Rex Hunt has been compromised by this because we consider him a great Richmond person and we certainly want to work with him if we are elected.

"Clinton has a blase attitude when it comes to corporate governance and, as a result, the club has lost millions of dollars. It highlights how desperate he has become to hold on to power."

Schwab said his group would fight any moves by the Casey ticket to seek legal means to have Hunt installed on its ticket.

Ernst and Young accountant Rob Dalton was appointed yesterday to fill a casual vacancy on the Tigers' board.

The revelations in yesterday's that Hunt had been sought by Casey to join the board had not been put to several directors.

Had Hunt been eligible and accepted the Casey offer, one of the current directors would have had to have been cut, as the club's constitution allows just nine directors to sit at any one time; Hunt would have been the 10th. It is understood Casey would have offloaded Rob Turner or John Matthies.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,11432423%255E19771,00.html

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2004, 02:26:46 AM »
LOl, what a phuc up  :banghead