Author Topic: Positives from tonight's game?  (Read 7857 times)

jackstar is back again

Re: Positives from tonight's game?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2010, 11:48:59 PM »
We won the clearances, inside 50s and tackle counts

Big deal ::)
Do you understand the game of football ????
I would love to know your views on our current game plan Infamy, you seem to have plenty to say.
Here is your big chance, go for it, I await your advice.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2010, 11:51:09 PM »
Biggest positive of the night ,

We were 52 points down at half time against a side that normally smashes us when they get on top, yet we lost by 53 points.

They kept trying to tackle, to harass and pressure. It wore the swans down, tired them out.

How long since we have seen a richmond team get that far behind and not throw the towel in??

Last year that would have been a 100 point, look for a high strong branch, belting.

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2010, 12:07:11 AM »
We won the clearances, inside 50s and tackle counts

Big deal ::)
Do you understand the game of football ????
I would love to know your views on our current game plan Infamy, you seem to have plenty to say.
Here is your big chance, go for it, I await your advice.
We're getting smashed by bigger, well drilled and more experienced sides. They aren't going to just stand around as witches hats while our kids try out their new game plan on them so the structures are breaking down quickly resulting in players getting put behind the ball to stem the flow.

The work rate of some more senior players is very disappointing, but to be honest I'm not sure what you expect. I thought you said it was all Terry Wallace's fault.

This thread is about the positives, so I pointed out a few areas where we stood up ok. We had enough of the ball, we got it forward enough, but our forward line pressure was terrible and the entries into the forward 50 were useless half the time. This resulted in far too many easy rebound scoring opportunities by the Swans. Our wasting of scoring opportunities doesn't help either.

jackstar is back again

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2010, 12:14:37 AM »
You still didnt answer my question, or  probably you cant

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2010, 12:44:47 AM »
Jack your a smart guy and entitled to have a crack but doing so make sure you're right.

You say big deal in winning the key indicators of tackling and inside 50s. Last week your biggest issue was our lack of completed tackles and small tackle count. This was addressed this week, big improvement.
2nd issue you had was the failure of getting the ball past the middle of the ground in the last quarter. We won inside 50s so issue addressed = big improvement.

As far as the game plan you believe absent. It's beyond humanly unreasonable to expect the side to click into a brand new game plan within the first 12 rounds let alone 3 and let alone a side that is unbelivanly raw and inexperienced. StKilda under Ross Lyins first year is an example and they had a vastly more experienced and quality listed players playing.

Go Tigers!

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2010, 12:49:55 AM »
You still didnt answer my question, or  probably you cant

Hang on a sec Jack I thought he did.
I thought he gave you a reason(s) as to why we struggle and where our positives lay.

We all know the negatives you keep reiterating but I would like to know other than Martin where you felt the positives lie.

I keep hearing about how awful we are and for the most part all tend to share the same sentiments, some more vocally than others and there are quite an extensive number of reasons why, most borne from a previous coaching tenure and definentely a few borne from a first year coaching who will be learning every day every game with the majority of players in the infancy of their career.

I would just like to know as to what positives you have. I can honestly say from my experience as a Richmond fan whom I have supported all my life and I'm well into my 30's now so I was too young to actually enjoy the revelry that came with our last flag, despite the fact that we are still such a long way off probably 4 years minimum we are definentely closer with his rebuild under Hardwick than we were at any other time in the last 10 years under Spud or Wallet and I actually recognise that the magnitude of the job.

If I have read many of your previous posts aside on many of our players who I agree with you are duds, Edwards White Mcmahon King just to name a few that are on our list albeit for another 19 matches there is an upside to the kids coming through despite the errors they make. I would rather see a kid make an error trying to make something positive than see a kid be conservative and make an error without getting out of their comfort zone just in case someone has a go at them and they expose themselves as failures.

Success isn't ready made it's acquired as a long drawn out process to think with Wallace gone the on field problems of our club are extinguished is ludicrous. Most on here recognise this especially with most kids on our list still not having completed basic training yet to put it in military terms but having said all this I would like to know other than Martin who was the bleedin obvious can you list me any other positives.

I appreciate who you know and your time in the sport as well as your contacts that does not concern me right now one iota I just want to know your positives other than Doc Martin tonight. I found a few as did many others surely we can't all be wrong. I found just as many negatives too as did many others. It's not about putting a positive spin its about being realistic. I honestly feel we are on the right track. Would you rather we were 2-1 as we were at the comparative stage under Wallace in 2005 and thinking we were on the right track when clearly our list was even more deficient than it is now.
I honestly feel we are on the right track and that the results will be the last thing that falls into place. That's my honest opinion. It's like learning mathematics you'll make basic mistakes sometimes and you'll get some harder problems correct at times but unless you learn to count properly you are not going succeed.  This is to draw parralell lines with our game plan. Until we learn it we will make mistakes tragic ones at times more simple ones at others but when we learn it, it will look good. Kids don't apply for uni after completing grade Prep or Grade 1 or 2. That's where we are at, at the moment. Nowhere near graduation of any sort but the kids are enrolled and they're learning and that in itself is a start. They're not learning advanced algebra and quantum physics that will come with time.

I bleed for the club I upgraded my membership to a reserved seat and got a social club membership. I am not a martyr I am just a fan who loves his club and despite this I am as frustrated as any Richmond supporter. This admin and coaching tenure is make or break for the club. I actually feel they are doing a good job and the fruits of these labours will bear fruit when our team starts winning games eventually. Even if you don't agree with me think of this paradox to win you have to be prepared to lose. Right now what hapenned last year means nothing to me it's how we go about it this year that counts but if I may make a reference to last year if McMahon's goal gave us a win in which we lost in the long run than the defeats we suffer this year will be wins for the kids in terms of the structure development mental and physical attitudes of these new kids and "some" players on our list from the previous coaching tenure.

Now Jack please list me your positives other than Martin.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2010, 01:26:44 AM »
Here are my positives....

1.....best effort for the year
2....after half time it was 42 pts to 45 pts.
3....We missed so many easy shots we could of kicked 14.7 instead of 7.14.We desparately need more polish around goals.
4...Scoreline aside-I thought general play was pretty even.
5...Theres always next week.
Unleash the tornado

Ox

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2010, 01:36:31 AM »
Jak

"I have been heavily involved in football"

that's enough times mate.
Probably shouldn't keep telling everyone.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2010, 04:29:28 AM »
Wallace was heavily involved in football  ;D

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2010, 06:23:43 AM »
Sitting at the airport waiting for my flight....

The positives for mine

Martin = future gun, saw his Dad after the game, massive bloke understand where young Dusty gets his strength from  :o

Tambling off the HBF actually works

Simmo resting at FF - a big target in the goal square is what we need - straightens us up

Dan Connors - probably his best game frot he RFC

Dean Polo - was very good on Goodes who's goals came in junk time

Nason - we may have found a late gem here - really like this kid

the 3rd qtr - there was a lot to like in the third. When the structures are right, the game plan works
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

jackstar is back again

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2010, 08:17:14 AM »
Sitting at the airport waiting for my flight....

The positives for mine

Martin = future gun, saw his Dad after the game, massive bloke understand where young Dusty gets his strength from  :o

Tambling off the HBF actually works

Simmo resting at FF - a big target in the goal square is what we need - straightens us up

Dan Connors - probably his best game frot he RFC

Dean Polo - was very good on Goodes who's goals came in junk time

Nason - we may have found a late gem here - really like this kid

the 3rd qtr - there was a lot to like in the third. When the structures are right, the game plan works

Would agree

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2010, 08:18:56 AM »
Last night could of ended up as a massacre of cricket score proportions.

Martin just gets better and better, fearless, and when he takes on opposition players, which he does with confidence, he wins, just throws them off with one hand lol. :thumbsup
Nason is improving every game as well, took a bit of a warm up last night with a shaky shot at goal but then started to shine, found players deep in the fifty with some very nice kicks and is always making a contest or finding the ball somehow, for a wee bloke he does real good, real late pick gem.
Vickery was much better in the ruck last night and backed up a around the ground a bit better, like him he has a bit of mongrel about him, doesn't mind a bit of rough housing.  Simmo is fine rucking but he has lost the agility and movement across the ground to follow up so propping him down forward is ideal, he made an excellent target and helped the forwards a lot.
Loved Connors efforts including his mark of the year that I thought he held on to long enough cez le vie.  
Jack was a mixed bag, missed some sodas kicked some we needed, MUST chase more and keep pressure on the ball in the forward line and not be lazy...cost us a goal once because he decided to jog after his defender when the ball went free.....and the turnover went straight up the other end mach schnell.  He also takes good chest marks but needs to learn to take marks in front or overhead when defenders are trying to spoil.  I don't think he is very strong in this department like ol Richo was.  He is definately more plus than minus though.
there were other positives but too many only made cameos or left their runs too late to make a diff.  Every week we only have a few cylinders fire in the engine, one day all will go and we will be roaring.
Lots of people name their swords......

jackstar is back again

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2010, 08:32:19 AM »
Jack your a smart guy and entitled to have a crack but doing so make sure you're right.

You say big deal in winning the key indicators of tackling and inside 50s. Last week your biggest issue was our lack of completed tackles and small tackle count. This was addressed this week, big improvement.
2nd issue you had was the failure of getting the ball past the middle of the ground in the last quarter. We won inside 50s so issue addressed = big improvement.

As far as the game plan you believe absent. It's beyond humanly unreasonable to expect the side to click into a brand new game plan within the first 12 rounds let alone 3 and let alone a side that is unbelivanly raw and inexperienced. StKilda under Ross Lyins first year is an example and they had a vastly more experienced and quality listed players playing.

Would agree that indictors as we have discussed was an impovement last night, although kicking was a disgrace.
Game plan and the style that we are trying to achieve is extremely cloudy.
Will point this out.
Under Spud, his game plan was kept simple, and I will try and explain it simply.
When in possesion, we had 3-4 players that would be designinated targets( these players were K. Johnson, R.Hilton, G. Tivendale etc ).
These players would be required to be in the "'corridor "' at all times. All players were instructed to square up through the corridor. without being ripped into by posters on here, this was something that all players understood and tried to achieve, although in Spuds latter years, he didnt have a plan B or C and the opposition would sit on these "release players"' through the corridor. One of the many reasons we got some severe floggings in Spuds last year.
We all are aware of Wallaces game plan, but at least he had one.
His target of 16 goals a game, wanted 15 entries inside F 50 a quarter, all things being equal, he would at least have 7 shots at goal.( a quarter)
All of this was through a run and carry out of D50, with short kicks with as many players around the ball carrier as possisble.
He always referred to being like Geelong, but this was no where near the truth as Geelong DONT run and carry but rather spread and use quick transition.
Now with Hardwick, I havent any idea, but to say that the onballers have been given the option to either kick or handball from a stoppage, it cannot be both as they arent predictable to there team mates.  Eg Martin tries to kick, Cousins tries to handball, although last night he seemed to kick as first option. ::)
You knew under Wallaces game plan that we were predictable as it was always a handball first option and then a short kick.
Its seems that only thing that is predictable at the present time is the long kick to the top of the square, as was the case last night when someone kicked it to a 3 on 1 inthe goal square , when Reidwoldt goaled
We need to see some direction.
The indicators were an improvement, I agree, although the style we are trying to achieve is a real worry

« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 09:14:58 AM by jackstar is back again »

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2010, 10:23:53 AM »
Positives............... Edwards will not play another game for the RFC..... surely!!!!!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

jackstar is back again

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2010, 10:33:00 AM »
Positives............... Edwards will not play another game for the RFC..... surely!!!!!

Certain to play next week, you must of watched the wrong game