Author Topic: Tigers vs Brisbane @ the Gabba  (Read 14473 times)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Re: Tigers vs Brisbane @ the Gabba
« Reply #210 on: June 19, 2010, 10:47:17 PM »
Agree boys although its nice to win and go to a break with a win we have beaten three poor sides or three sides in a huge form slump.

The positives is we have won well in all 3 games however the better sides will beat us well on the scoreboard.

The fact of the matter is we still have holes in our list that we must fill in the draft and the clubs main focus   

should be to ensure we still finish bottom.

As for Tambling yep I agree Daniel is really struggling. Is very expendible right now and has had no impact on

the side.

Cant believe what I'm reading.

5 weeks ago you'll find everyone was questioning Hardwick and 70% of the list and naming 15 players to be moved on. Now we've had 3/4 wins and everyone is unhappy that we're happy with success lol?

The gameplan is getting easy to execute we beat Port in the wet. We beat West Coast by half a dozen goals and we beat the Lions who are out of form but was at the Gabba and this year havent been easy beats up there.
Go Tigers!

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #211 on: June 19, 2010, 10:48:15 PM »
Farmer does things in games that give hope that he may still become a decent player. IMHO I prefer him to King or Jackson and maybe afew others.

King has improved out of sight Ramps. Not enough to get a new contract but his last month has been his best since he was drafted.

Jackson well we would still have won without him. If he has value then must be traded.

Farmer's kick to White was the best kick ive seen come off his boot this year
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Ramps

« Reply #212 on: June 19, 2010, 10:52:53 PM »
As a supporter I was unhappy to see us turnover the footy on quite afew occassions tonights, the 2 x 50 metre penalties we gave away were undisciplined acts that cost us 2 goals and kept Brisbane in the match. There was other stuff, but overall I thought it was a very average match tonight, but the kids are winning so that in itself is valueable.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #213 on: June 19, 2010, 11:08:37 PM »
Agree boys although its nice to win and go to a break with a win we have beaten three poor sides or three sides in a huge form slump.

The positives is we have won well in all 3 games however the better sides will beat us well on the scoreboard.

The fact of the matter is we still have holes in our list that we must fill in the draft and the clubs main focus   

As for Tambling yep I agree Daniel is really struggling. Is very expendible right now and has had no impact on

the side.

5 weeks ago you'll find everyone was questioning Hardwick and 70% of the list and naming 15 players to be moved on. Now we've had 3/4 wins and everyone is unhappy that we're happy with success lol?

The gameplan is getting easy to execute we beat Port in the wet. We beat West Coast by half a dozen goals and we beat the Lions who are out of form but was at the Gabba and this year havent been easy beats up there.

Not questioning Hardwick, never have Pope merely stating our wins were against sides in poor form slumps and that the better sides will still beat us comfortably and that we should be looking forward to the draft this year to bolster our squad. If Dimma is real he'll cut another 8-10 from our current list and reinvest in the draft.
Lets not get ahead of ourselves. 3 wins is nice and are valuable to a young team but the key to us is whether in 2012 the steps taken this year and next will have us knocking rising up the ladder.
Usually with kids in their first season they tire towards the end of the year anyway so I'm expecting that to happen to our first year players too.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #214 on: June 19, 2010, 11:10:23 PM »
As a supporter I was unhappy to see us turnover the footy on quite afew occassions tonights, the 2 x 50 metre penalties we gave away were undisciplined acts that cost us 2 goals and kept Brisbane in the match. There was other stuff, but overall I thought it was a very average match tonight, but the kids are winning so that in itself is valueable.

I think we may have different views on what undisciplined means.

Matty White was chasing to man up Travis Johnson and encroached in the 5m unprotected area which gets paid 1 in 10. You could maybe call this stupid if your in a bad mood but as how I understand the rule you can be within 5m, and or run through the mark if your following your opponent. Which is what White was doing.
Jackson was being held when he had the ball to give back to the Brisbane player who won the free kick. Shockingly harsh especially 1 min after the other 50. Not undisciplined, harsh strict umpiring that would be fine if it was consistent.

10 mins later Graham marks on the wing and gets wrapped up by Rockliff who wasnt in the contest and Graham fumbled the ball. That is 50m penalty under 2 different rules.

Go figure.

I think you've woken on the wrong side of the bed Ramps lol. The game was entertaining. Jack taking screamers and Collins snapping goals. Farmers y0m pin point passes, Edwards magical goal against 3 on the goal line, Griffos first goal Martin taking on every Brisbane player. It wasnt a bad game.
Go Tigers!

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #215 on: June 19, 2010, 11:17:30 PM »

the side.

Not questioning Hardwick, never have Pope merely stating our wins were against sides in poor form slumps and that the better sides will still beat us comfortably and that we should be looking forward to the draft this year to bolster our squad. If Dimma is real he'll cut another 8-10 from our current list and reinvest in the draft.
Lets not get ahead of ourselves. 3 wins is nice and are valuable to a young team but the key to us is whether in 2012 the steps taken this year and next will have us knocking rising up the ladder.
Usually with kids in their first season they tire towards the end of the year anyway so I'm expecting that to happen to our first year players too.

Yeah sorry to single out your post, just bit confused at how needy we are yet when we get what we want we are dissapointed that we don't play like Geelong and beat the flag favourite every week.

Hardwick will definetly move players on:
Simmonds
McMahon

both will definetly be gone.

Next you have about 5 maybe delistings

Polak
King
Rance
Hislop
Thompson

Next some possible trades

Jackson
Morton
Tambling.

You start to go through the second stage of turning the list over. The most pleasing thing is that we have a game plan that proves it can win games, and its with the personal/players that will be around the club for the next 5-10 years.
Go Tigers!

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #216 on: June 19, 2010, 11:59:38 PM »
Really pleased at the effort of the boys tonight. At least we aree beating teams in form slumps. In the past we usually played them into form.
I'm not going to micromanage  the win. What I saw out there from the boys tonight was belief plain and simple. I will give a few thumbs up though..
Graham - His mobility has improved dramatically and his positional play has been excellent in recent games.
Edwards - Dangerous all night
Martin - all class. I hope he turns out to be the best 3rd pick in History
Riewoldt - Merritt was very good tonight and he still got 3 on him.
Collins - very good game and with all the defensive attention going to Riewoldt, he is fast turning into another genuine goal scoring option.
Cuz - in form and seems to be really enjoying his footy atm.
Lids - Was everywhere like Kochie at a mining disaster. showed really good composure throughout most of the match

Other highlights
Justin Sherman - LMAO@ having no left foot.
Amon Buchanan - knows he's played a game of footy
Fev - Looked like Tom Hanks in Castaway looking for "Wilson"
The Lions Runner - Well done mate! Cheque is in the post!

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #217 on: June 20, 2010, 12:01:05 AM »
I'm tired and losing my voice but very happy.  Managed to sort of catch up with WP & bg25 (thank goodness for mobile phones) and Mopsy and his lovely wife.  The boys stood firm and wouldn't let Brisbane in.  Funny to see all the kids (and big kids) having a kick after the game.

FNM

« Reply #218 on: June 20, 2010, 12:31:00 AM »
I'm tired and losing my voice but very happy.  Managed to sort of catch up with WP & bg25 (thank goodness for mobile phones) and Mopsy and his lovely wife.  The boys stood firm and wouldn't let Brisbane in.  Funny to see all the kids (and big kids) having a kick after the game.
You were on the tellie

Tigermonk

« Reply #219 on: June 20, 2010, 01:43:16 AM »
another win  :clapping l could get used to this  ;D good feeling.
Raines has not changed a bit & l bet his guts is churning  :lol
Thought the lads were a bit wornout after halftime its been a big month  :thumbsup  :gotigers
Have a well earned rest

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #220 on: June 20, 2010, 02:21:08 AM »
Any 20 point win at the Gabba is a good win.

Geelong beat them by 80 odd pts up there in QLD .....we have the next best result.-FACT.
Unleash the tornado

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #221 on: June 20, 2010, 08:04:21 AM »
Well done to the boys  :clapping.  Beating the Lions up there is no easy thing especially when they are in finals contention.

Couldn't believe the umps, some more absolutely atrocious decisions especially later on in the game with Fev's mark ? and the two Lions dropping the ball cold.  Couldn't take a trick out there tonight.

The Lions are a slow slow side, players like Nason, White and Lids etc made them look silly at times.

Ramps

« Reply #222 on: June 20, 2010, 09:57:15 AM »
another win  :clapping l could get used to this  ;D good feeling.
Raines has not changed a bit & l bet his guts is churning  :lol
Thought the lads were a bit wornout after halftime its been a big month  :thumbsup  :gotigers
Have a well earned rest

Can the mods please check the IP address of this poster, someone has hijacked Monkys account! ;D

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #223 on: June 20, 2010, 09:59:26 AM »
You were on the tellie
Really?  Are you sure?  We were sitting near the boundary but under the stands.  Probably me trying to kick the footy after the game and almost taking some kid's head off - lol

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #224 on: June 20, 2010, 10:01:09 AM »
Well done to the boys  :clapping.  Beating the Lions up there is no easy thing especially when they are in finals contention.

Couldn't believe the umps, some more absolutely atrocious decisions especially later on in the game with Fev's mark ? and the two Lions dropping the ball cold.  Couldn't take a trick out there tonight.

The Lions are a slow slow side, players like Nason, White and Lids etc made them look silly at times.

At the game, the umpiring didn't seem nearly as bad as recent weeks Chuck but there were still the few obligatory howlers (that always seem to go against us).

And you are so right about them being slow, we ran them off their legs.  White, Nason, Deledio, Edwards, Farmer, Collins, Connors and Tambling all ran rings around their opponents with varying degrees of success at different times.  Some of my thoughts of the game:

Deledio will win his 3rd Jack Dyer medal by a big margin.  He is now starting to lead from the front and play very very well over 4 quarters.  He was tremendous last night.

Graham and Edwards have both made me eat humble pie this year.  Their improvement in the first 11 rounds has been terrific and shows how important the right development is for young players.

White is an underrated player who plays a very important role for the team, another who is showing the benefit of 'real' development.

Farmer is improving slowly and making it harder to mount a case for dropping him by the week.

Tambling was nowhere near as bad as many have said.  You really do have to see the game live to appreciate a lot of the little things - the gut running, the blocks and shepherds - that he now brings to his game.  I think some people might be making the mistake of judging him as the running midfielder we think he should be but his value to the team in a 'team' sense is underrated.

Nason - see Tambling re: gut running.  To play the type of game he is in his first year is quite outstanding.

Riewoldt is going to prove so many of his knockers wrong over his career.

Cousins is not done just yet.  Not saying he will or should get a gig next year but his output and value to the team last night was very good and very important.

Tuck is the poster boy for footballers doing whatever it takes to keep their career flame burning.  He has reinvented himself in such a way that it will be now very hard to consider anything else except a new deal come year's end.  He was fantastic last night.

Our backline are now starting to play as a real team.  The difference in the player's knowledge of the game plan and their efforts to stick to it, between the first game and last night is huge.  We are now winning games because our players have almost entirely obliterated the ingrained nightmare of the Wallace/Frawley eras characterised by the 'stop, prop, run backwards' ethos that saw us susceptible to every slight bit of pressure from the opposition.  We now take the opposition on with an increasing level of confidence in our team mates efforts to support us and when the opposition have the ball we now get in their faces, pressuring at every opportunity.  The difference between now and then is quite staggering, and all this on the back of very young and inexperienced kids.

I read some media reports of a "comical" game last night riddled with mistakes but that pays our team a great disservice by ignoring the effect of the pressure our tackling and hard running put on them at every opportunity.  We were much more committed, much more polished and nowhere near as "error-ridden" as our opposition.  The game was played on our terms and some inexperience is all that prevented a much greater winning margin.

And finally, to the Brisbane supporters - we would have to be the noisiest interstate group of supporters going around.  My guess would be that about 5k of last night's 28k would have been Richmond supporters and the noise they made, made it appear that the figures were around 50/50.  Fair dinkum, our players would have thought it their own home game at times and the sound of the song reverberating throughout the Gabba after the game was just fantastic.  The roars you could hear on TV were not mistaken - our support at the game was huge for an interstate team sitting on the bottom of the ladder.