Author Topic: 2011 Membership - "The Tiger is Stirring" [merged]  (Read 126904 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: 2011 Membership - "The Tiger is Stirring" [merged]
« Reply #270 on: January 20, 2011, 11:46:41 AM »
Membership tally - 20/01/2011

3,323 of them are new members.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #271 on: January 21, 2011, 11:43:58 AM »
Membership tally - 21/01/2011

3,361 of them are new members.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #272 on: January 21, 2011, 03:07:43 PM »
Here's the latest tally across all clubs - 21/01/2010

West Coast    50,000
Adelaide        45,000
Collingwood   44,599
Hawthorn      41,027
Fremantle      40,000
Essendon       33,626
St Kilda          27,242
Richmond       25,974
Geelong         23,539
Melbourne      22,396
Carlton          22,060
W.Bulldogs     19,525
Port Adelaide  19,089
Sydney         18,000
North Melb     14,800
Brisbane        14,182
Gold Coast       9,754

As another comparison, here are the current NRL membership numbers:

http://www.nrlnews.com/2011/01/20/update-on-team-memberships/

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #273 on: January 21, 2011, 03:24:06 PM »

I am one of the 6422 Nth Qld Cowboys members  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Oiafi

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Against logic there is no armour like ignorance.
« Reply #274 on: January 21, 2011, 07:10:30 PM »

Gee wis. Not having taken much of an interest in the NRL I don't really know what I expected, but I am shocked at the difference in membership numbers between the AFL and the NRL.  :o

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #275 on: January 21, 2011, 07:45:32 PM »

Gee wis. Not having taken much of an interest in the NRL I don't really know what I expected, but I am shocked at the difference in membership numbers between the AFL and the NRL.  :o
It makes you wonder how clubs like Cronulla which only have 5000 members can survive long term as costs rise (eg: salary cap) in a increasingly competitive sports marketplace.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #276 on: January 22, 2011, 08:15:48 AM »

They have nowhere near the 'connected' supporter base that AFL clubs do.  The NRL is a sport that is mostly followed from the sanctity of a lounge chair or pub bar.  AFL clubs put a shedload more effort into connecting with their supporters.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #277 on: January 22, 2011, 09:02:45 AM »

It makes you wonder how clubs like Cronulla which only have 5000 members can survive long term as costs rise (eg: salary cap) in a increasingly competitive sports marketplace.

It's called the Leagues CLub - most NRL clubs have very profitable leagues clubs that pour $$$ back into the NRL clubs

BTW those numbers are a lot higher than they've been in the past  :thumbsup

gerkin greg

« Reply #278 on: January 22, 2011, 01:49:07 PM »

It's called the Leagues CLub - most NRL clubs have very profitable leagues clubs that pour $$$ back into the NRL clubs

Yep. The Leagues Club rules supreme. Only recently have we started seeing TVCs advertising NRL memberships, the numbers are slowly rising. Not that quick off the mark are the thicknecks.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #279 on: January 22, 2011, 03:17:17 PM »

I realise that WP  ;) but I specifically mentioned Cronulla as their annual Leagues Club grant to the football club had been reduced from now on to just $250k by orders from the bank. The Leagues Club wrote off almost $4m to keep the football club afloat and although they are asset rich due to the property (stadium) they own their current liabilities out strip their current assets by $12m. The football club is bleeding money and they are hanging out for the new NRL tv rights to halt the bleeding. They are the North Melbourne of the NRL.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Oiafi

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Against logic there is no armour like ignorance.
« Reply #280 on: January 23, 2011, 08:07:07 AM »
I realise that WP  ;) but I specifically mentioned Cronulla as their annual Leagues Club grant to the football club had been reduced from now on to just $250k by orders from the bank. The Leagues Club wrote off almost $4m to keep the football club afloat and although they are asset rich due to the property (stadium) they own their current liabilities out strip their current assets by $12m. The football club is bleeding money and they are hanging out for the new NRL tv rights to halt the bleeding. They are the North Melbourne of the NRL.

All this talk of money makes my head spin.  :rollin Can't say I'm much of a finacial wiz.

"My cat's breath smells like cat food."

I like football though.

North Melbourne. LOL.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #281 on: January 23, 2011, 12:07:19 PM »

Fair call MT - I should have excluded Cronulla  ;D Once they were a strong club on and off the field now they are hopeless on both.

I also know a number of NRL clubs have been trying to be run seperately to their leagues clubs to see how much financial bleeding there actually is - seriously I don't hink some of them know  ;D. Parramatta Leagues pours in about $6-7mil a year into their NRL club to fund it but the leagues club has been hit hard by changes in State Govt taxes they have to pay (sounds a bit like down here  :P)

But certainly the NRL clubs with storng Leagues clubs are the financially strongest NRL clubs

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #282 on: January 23, 2011, 04:03:31 PM »

Fair call MT - I should have excluded Cronulla  ;D Once they were a strong club on and off the field now they are hopeless on both.

I also know a number of NRL clubs have been trying to be run seperately to their leagues clubs to see how much financial bleeding there actually is - seriously I don't hink some of them know  ;D. Parramatta Leagues pours in about $6-7mil a year into their NRL club to fund it but the leagues club has been hit hard by changes in State Govt taxes they have to pay (sounds a bit like down here  :P)

But certainly the NRL clubs with storng Leagues clubs are the financially strongest NRL clubs

Or the "privately owned" clubs like Manly and the Roosters.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #283 on: January 23, 2011, 07:27:35 PM »

roosters have a sensational Leagues club in Bondi Junction - The Easts League Club. Don't think they are privately owned

South Sydney defintiely are ..by Rusty Crowe

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #284 on: January 23, 2011, 08:20:24 PM »

roosters have a sensational Leagues club in Bondi Junction - The Easts League Club. Don't think they are privately owned

South Sydney defintiely are ..by Rusty Crowe

They seem to have a copletely different financial dependence than the AFL. It seems that without the injection of the lucritive pokies revenue they would fold on mass. It still seems that many Sydney based clubs are struggling to even pay their players the required minimum salary cap payments (let alone Administrators wages) which are anchoring the stronger teams down and allowing players to be stolen by richer codes such as our own.

Stripes