Author Topic: Bachar Houli [merged]  (Read 335771 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Bachar Houli [merged]
« Reply #1680 on: August 14, 2021, 12:06:57 AM »
On The Friday Huddle, Bachar Houli explained his desire to continue on for a 16th season.

Go to 35:30 min mark to listen (discusses his future from 40 min): https://www.triplem.com.au/shows/friday-huddle

https://twitter.com/triplemfooty/status/1426111421406875650

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1681 on: August 14, 2021, 12:16:31 AM »
pee off dude seriously

2021 was a bad idea

2022 would be a joke

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1682 on: August 14, 2021, 12:18:20 AM »
Yep- would be extremely selfish on his part and extremely shortsighted on the club's part... :thumbsdown
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Gigantor

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1683 on: August 14, 2021, 01:02:23 AM »
I trust and respect him enough that he and the club will make the right call

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1684 on: August 14, 2021, 07:05:44 AM »

I don't anymore. He was sore before the 2020 GF and didn't pull out, subsequently doing a calf and making us play an extra half man down for 3+ quarters.

Never should have agreed to play on in 2021.

This will be the third time he hasn't walked away to our detriment IMO.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1685 on: August 14, 2021, 10:53:33 AM »
HOULI ‘DEFINITELY’ KEEN TO PLAY ON

Triple premiership Tiger Bachar Houli says he’s “100 per cent sure” he wants to play on in 2022, but two Fox Footy commentators believe Richmond should make the tough call and not offer the veteran another contract.

Injured have limited Houli to just 12 games this season. He missed the first three games of the Tigers’ 2021 campaign due to a calf issue, while a syndesmosis injury suffered against Gold Coast in Round 16 forced him to undergo surgery that was set to rule him out for the rest of the season.

However Houli told Triple M on Friday night he was hopeful of returning from injury for Richmond’s Round 23 clash, adding: “I know it’s a little bit late, but hopefully not too late.”

Beyond Round 23, the 33-year-old remains out of contract – and Houli said he “definitely” wants to play on in 2022.

“It’s something that I’ve had in mind before I got injured,” Houli Triple M on Friday night. “Even when I got injured, I asked a question at the football club with those that make decisions with contracts.

“I’m 100 per cent sure that I want to go on. I feel like my body, once it was up and going, it was going really well, I was covering the ground really well and I was playing consistent football.

“I’m not slowing down. I had an injury that wasn’t relevant to my calves, which is a bonus. I definitely want to go on.”

Tigers coach Damien Hardwick, though, remained tight-lipped about Houli’s future when asked to respond to the defender’s comments from earlier in the night.

“From a list management point of view we’ll work our way through that,” Hardwick told reporters post-game. “We don’t discuss those things in the media, so we’ll sit down with Bachar and figure out what that looks like moving forward.”

Triple premiership Lion Jonathan Brown said the Tigers had to make a difficult call on Houli.

“It’s a tough one, but I’d probably lean toward moving in the other direction (not offering him a contract). They’ve got to get some kids through and I think (Noah) Balta and (Nathan) Broad and (David) Astbury would probably be ahead of him in terms of their needs to come back into the side,” Brown told Fox Footy.

St Kilda champion Nick Riewoldt added: “Not for me. (Daniel) Rioli going to half-back, he’s looked pretty good across thee. (Sydney) Stack as well.

“With your senior players, you’ve got to drip them out of the club. You don’t want them leaving at the same time.”

Houli has played 232 AFL games since making his debut in 2007 for Essendon before crossing to Punt Road ahead of the 2011 season.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/department-of-trade/afl-trade-news-rumours-whispers-2021-bachar-houli-contract-jack-billings-port-adelaide-st-kilda-free-agency-pick/news-story/5480ec0d92216673fad783fb91873018

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1686 on: August 14, 2021, 01:22:26 PM »

I do too.

But I think it is going to be a very difficult conversation / call to make
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1687 on: August 14, 2021, 01:32:36 PM »
Just offer him an off-field role to soften the blow.....:shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1688 on: August 14, 2021, 03:25:58 PM »
Maybe a rookie pos or a development / coaching role with the reserves

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1689 on: August 14, 2021, 04:13:21 PM »
Houli is a champion of the club however we need to look forward. I would be happy for Houli to play next year at another club. We have Rioli, Stack and Mansell to play his role moving forward.

Offline crackertiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1690 on: August 14, 2021, 09:43:44 PM »
Luv you Bach but it's time.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1691 on: August 15, 2021, 04:06:57 PM »
Former Richmond forward Nathan Brown thinks Houli still has a role to play at Punt Road next season.

“Bachar Houli’s looking for a new contract at the moment – and I’d give him one,” Brown told Channel Nine’s Sunday Footy Show.

“I think they’ve missed him, his calming influence in that back end.

“I think he plays on.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/08/15/tigers-face-tough-call-on-premiership-defender/

Offline TFL

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1692 on: August 15, 2021, 05:14:23 PM »
Id keep him for one more season if he stayed on the right money.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1693 on: August 15, 2021, 05:37:04 PM »
Yes let's squeeze a kid out so we can get maybe 10 more below average games out of his shot body... :shh

- Thomas Sowell

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1694 on: August 16, 2021, 09:42:33 AM »
I could see Bachar going to free up cap space if we believe we are still in the premiership window next year and are looking to bring in player from another club. His position and role can be played by Stack or Mansell.

However, oddly enough I could see us holding onto Bachar if the Club internally believes that our premiership window has shut and we need to rebuild over the next few years towards our next future premiership group. Bachar's been a big promoter of the 'Richmond man' ethos and culture and the Club could keep him around for another year in a leading off-field role to pass that ethos onto the newbies. 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd