Author Topic: Who do you want @ 6?  (Read 44405 times)

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Who do you want @ 6?
« Reply #300 on: November 16, 2010, 11:01:37 PM »
I'm still holding out hope Gaff will be available.

Ramps

« Reply #301 on: November 17, 2010, 12:53:00 AM »
Looks like Conca according to the press just out. We wanted Polec but hes going to Brisbane.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #302 on: November 17, 2010, 01:04:07 AM »
Looks like Conca according to the press just out. We wanted Polec but hes going to Brisbane.

no thanks.

Hope this jay clark fellow is off the mark

Ramps

« Reply #303 on: November 17, 2010, 01:13:18 AM »

no thanks.

I actually like Conca as a talent but I think hes a 10 to 20 selection not a 6. Anyway we'll see what happens.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Brisbane to snatch Richmond target Jared Polec (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #304 on: November 17, 2010, 02:12:40 AM »
Here's the article.....

Brisbane Lions to snatch Richmond target Jared Polec
Jay Clark
Herald Sun
November 16, 2010 9:45PM

RICHMOND could be forced into a last-minute draft change as the Brisbane Lions seem likely to swoop on the club's preferred midfield target.

The Tigers want Ryan Griffen-like line-breaker Jared Polec at pick No. 6 in the AFL national draft.

However, in a late change of heart, Brisbane is set to steal the Tigers' thunder by grabbing Polec at No. 5, instead of the man the Lions were strongly linked to, half-back Dyson Heppell.

And, rather than take Heppell in a straight swap, it is understood Richmond will pull its own surprise and grab nippy West Australian midfielder Reece Conca.

It was thought Conca would be picked by Fremantle somewhere in the teen calls, possibly as late as selection No. 20.

But Conca's versatility and efficiency by foot, a top priority for Richmond, has propelled the strong-bodied playmaker up the order.

It means smooth-moving Heppell, whose left foot has been likened to that of Luke Hodge, could slide as far as Adelaide at pick No.14, or Geelong at 15.

In another shock, Melbourne could secure its dream draft result and get the key big man it craves.

It is believed Gold Coast will let through either ruckman Daniel Gorringe or key forward Tom Lynch to the Dees at pick No. 12.

Melbourne has a glittering young midfield, but needs to bolster its spine.

Instead of taking both key-position players, the Suns are sizing up midfielders Josh Caddy and Dion Prestia, and backman Seb Tape among picks seven, nine, 10 and 11.

Essendon is poised to get its man, speedy inside midfielder Shaun Atley.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/brisbane-lions-to-snatch-richmond-target-jared-polec/story-e6frf9jf-1225954635956

Offline Oiafi

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Against logic there is no armour like ignorance.
« Reply #305 on: November 17, 2010, 07:08:17 AM »

no thanks.

I actually like Conca as a talent but I think hes a 10 to 20 selection not a 6. Anyway we'll see what happens.

Thing is we don't really know about any of these guys or how they will turn out and we don't really understand what the club is thinking. (Apologies to anyone who does actually know  :D ).

After reading the article above I found myself having a little sook about Brisbane pinching our player. Then I sat back and asked myself "Why am I getting so emotional?". Well I reckon it's because I got used to the idea of Polec.  I had felt the same about Heppell and I had felt the same about Gaff. When I first heard about Polec I wasn't keen, now I'm peeed off he might go to another club. If I had a week or so to get used to Conca then I'd probably feel good about him also.

Point is, for a nuffy like myself, there isn't any real substance behind my preference for a player. Guess we'll see what happens on the day.

(Nobody better bring up JON. Don't want to hear it. Totally different player, similar looking circumstance, in reality probably not the same at all.)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #306 on: November 17, 2010, 07:52:25 AM »
In tHe 2005 draft we had the option skipping Mitch Clark and Shannon hurn in favor of JON...

I'd be worried if we didn't grab who looks like the best plyer left come pick #6. I spose you have to trust hardwick and co. But it'd be hard to watch atley or polec or gaff or heppell become a gun at gc or essendon
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 08:16:59 AM by Bentleigh-esque »

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #307 on: November 17, 2010, 08:45:04 AM »

no thanks.

i agree. I find it hard to believe Scotty Clayton and the like wouldnt see this bloke as a top 6 yet we do.

lets be honest our track record  hasnt been great the last 20 years.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #308 on: November 17, 2010, 08:56:19 AM »
i agree. I find it hard to believe Scotty Clayton and the like wouldnt see this bloke as a top 6 yet we do.

I don't think Scotty Clayton is the recruiting genius that he has been made out to be. He got all the plaudits for the Suns trade week, but someone else was the brains behind it all.

He couldn't spot a talented tall if it bit him on the backside.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #309 on: November 17, 2010, 09:04:42 AM »
Whoever we pick

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #310 on: November 17, 2010, 09:27:59 AM »

I don't think Scotty Clayton is the recruiting genius that he has been made out to be. He got all the plaudits for the Suns trade week, but someone else was the brains behind it all.

He couldn't spot a talented tall if it bit him on the backside.

lets just wait and see who we select shall we

Im just saying that no one ever considered this bloke to be top 6 yet there is a chance we do.

I dont believe we are in a position to take risks. We should choose best available talent and i highly doubt this bloke is at 6.

My Opinion of course
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #311 on: November 17, 2010, 11:06:07 AM »
Sean Atley for mine, the kid is going to be a star of our game.

I rate him better than Gaff. Emma Quayle has him at pick 4. She knows her stuff.

Get Atley Cameron, pass him at your peril.
Go Tigers!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #312 on: November 17, 2010, 11:50:52 AM »
This article today frm SNF is claiming Caddy to Richmond......

Gaff goes west and Polec north
By Kim Hagdorn
17 November 2010

Gaff’s powerful gut running qualities and smart decisions in heavy congestion around packs are among his many qualities understood to have finally won over West Coast recruiters.

The 18-year-old Victorian is expected to be taken by West Coast after careful consideration against top quality South Australian on-baller Jared Polec.

It has become roundly considered through AFL circles that new franchise Gold Coast will take West Australians David Swallow and Harley Bennell, as well as South Australian Sam Day in the first three picks.

But, it has not been as clear on just where West Coast and Brisbane might head with their first selections.

Another hard-nosed West Aussie has stormed into late calculations for a top-10 selection, with Perth ball-winner Reece Conca possibly heading to Essendon.

Conca’s manager Colin Young would not reveal which clubs have expressed interest in the feisty 18-year-old who finished the 2010 season playing senior WAFL level.

But his agent confirmed growing interest in the young star as the 25th annual AFL draft approached.

“I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Reece Conca slipped into the top 10. But that’s all I can say,” Young told sportsnewsfirst.

The Eagles are believed to have thrashed out whether to take Gaff or the brilliant Polec.

Brisbane coach Michael Voss and his talent scouts made similar assessments and with Gaff heading west it seems Polec’s explosive pace and classy left-foot disposal in the mould of highly decorated champion Lions pair of Simon Black and Luke Power and 2009 NAB Rising Star champion Daniel Rich will head north.

With Polec severely shortening in his prospects to head to Voss and his Lions at pick number five, Richmond are now understood to be preparing to pluck another hard-nosed midfield ball-magnet Josh Caddy at number six.

The Tigers are known to want more midfield ball-winning depth in support of exciting pair Dustin Martin and Trent Cotchin to supply new goal-kicking revelation Jack Riewoldt.

Gold Coast join back in the selection race at number seven with the fourth of their privileged eight picks inside the first 13 selections.

The Suns are tipped to take another tall forward in Tom Lynch, before Essendon enter to most unique selection process in the draft’s 25-year history.

New Bombers coach James Hird has held lengthy discussions and planning sessions with his recruiting team with desperate intentions to inject pace and class into his midfield.

Being especially suited to run and carry the footy and deliver the footy long into Essendon’s forward line at home ground Etihad Stadium is believed to be a priority in Hird’s preference for the Bombers crucial first choice.

The Bombers are expected to take Victorian country inside ball-winner Shaun Atley, but could swing a surprise by choosing Conca.

It is a shared view among top recruiters that the tough midfielder, who was highly impressive at seniors level in struggling WAFL club Perth late into the 2010 season, will rapidly fit into an AFL team for much of next season.

Conca is ready to play and is known to have highly impressed Bombers decision makers.

Gold Coast then takes three consecutive picks at nine, 10 and 11.

The Suns are expected to snap up a ruckman-forward in South Australian big man Daniel Gorringe and another couple of midfielders Atley or Jayden Pitt from the talent-rich Geelong district and versatile Glenelg running-back Seb Tape.

With confirmation of Gaff, Polec and Caddy as early picks, previously highly rated Gippsland follower Dyson Heppell has drifted in favour.

The tall on-baller, playing midfield creative roles at around 189cm, could fall into the hands of emerging AFL finals contender Melbourne at the Demons first pick and number 12 overall.

The Suns have another at 13, followed by Adelaide and Geelong with their first pick at number 15 as part of trading and losing Gary Ablett to Gold Coast.

Adelaide is believed to be contemplating the value of classy East Fremantle outside ball-carrier Jamie Cripps while Geelong look certain to pluck clever North Ballarat winger Isaac Smith.

Top Victorian midfield hopes Ben Jacobs, Bill Smedts, Jayden Pitt and Luke Parker as well as South Australian ruckman-forward Pat McCarthy, WA’s tall forward Jack Darling and Calder Cannons key defender Matthew Watson at 195cm and 102kg appeal for slots between 16 and early 20s.

A possible Top 20 AFL draft picks:

1)    David Swallow (WA) Gold Coast

2)    Sam Day (SA) Gold Coast

3)    Harley Bennell (WA) Gold Coast

4)    Andrew Gaff (Victoria) West Coast

5)    Jared Polec (SA) Brisbane

6)    Josh Caddy (Victoria) Richmond

7)    Tom Lynch (Victoria) Gold Coast

8)    Reece Conca (WA) Essendon

9)    Daniel Gorringe (SA) Gold Coast

10)     Jayden Pitt (Victoria) Gold Coast

11)       Seb Tape (SA) Gold Coast

12)       Dyson Heppell (Victoria) Melbourne

13)       Shaun Atley (Victoria) Gold Coast

14)      Jamie Cripps (WA) Adelaide

15)       Isaac Smith (Victoria) Geelong

16)       Ben Jacobs (Victoria) Port Adelaide

17)       Matthew Watson (Victoria) North Melbourne

18)       Pat McCarthy (Victoria) Carlton

19)       Scott Lycett (SA) Hawthorn

20)       Jack Darling (WA) Fremantle

http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2010/11/17/gaff-goes-west-and-polec-north/

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #313 on: November 17, 2010, 02:21:54 PM »
Hope its not true, If we miss on Polec ( I hope not) Why wouldnt we take Heppel or even Atley.

Caddy look like a bit of a plodder in my book - he has great courage but not worth a pick 6.

Appears to be a few mental games being played to either flush out some info or to put fear into other teams.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 03:48:17 PM by camboon »

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #314 on: November 17, 2010, 03:03:44 PM »
It seems that way, doesn't it Camboon?

Makes it a bit more interesting all this uncertainty.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI