Author Topic: Shaun Grigg [merged]  (Read 180995 times)

tony_montana

Re: Shaun Grigg [merged]
« Reply #315 on: April 22, 2012, 10:03:03 PM »
I thought he was one of our best today. :thumbsup

Cheers TB, great to hear, seems like he is having a very good year to date.

So far so good. :thumbsup

Lets hope he remains consistent for much longer periods of the season. :thumbsup

He runs harder than anyone else on the side, Grigg = gut runner

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #316 on: April 22, 2012, 10:08:35 PM »
I thought he was one of our best today. :thumbsup

Cheers TB, great to hear, seems like he is having a very good year to date.

So far so good. :thumbsup

Lets hope he remains consistent for much longer periods of the season. :thumbsup

He runs harder than anyone else on the side, Grigg = gut runner

Now we have two gut runners Cotch and Grigg. :thumbsup

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #317 on: April 22, 2012, 10:25:02 PM »
Has gone up a notch this year, a tireless workhorse in the midfield
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #318 on: April 23, 2012, 05:30:13 AM »
Has gone up a notch this year, a tireless workhorse in the midfield

x 2.  Lets hope he keeps it up for the season.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #319 on: April 23, 2012, 09:27:34 AM »
Gerks get in here :lol

gerkin greg

« Reply #320 on: April 23, 2012, 09:36:54 AM »
Dear god

tony_montana

« Reply #321 on: April 23, 2012, 12:25:10 PM »
 :lol

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Near enough not good enough: Grigg (afl site)
« Reply #322 on: April 23, 2012, 01:26:03 PM »
Near enough not good enough
By Peter Ryan
afl.com.au
Mon 23 Apr, 2012

RICHMOND midfielder Shaun Grigg has said that near enough is not good enough after the Tigers went down to Geelong at Simonds Stadium on Sunday.

Grigg was confident the Tigers were going to run over the top of the Cats when they drew level with 12 minutes to go and had the wind at its back.

But when it mattered most it was the Cats' stars, Paul Chapman, Jimmy Bartel, Joel Corey and Corey Enright who stood tall and tilted the game Geelong's way. The Cats eventually won by 10 points.

"They have got a lot more experience than we do but we don't use that as an excuse," a disappointed Grigg said.

"They locked the ball in pretty well there in the last quarter to shut the game down and we tried to run it out a couple of times and they intercepted and got it back in there."

The Tigers have started the season with just one win from four games but its three losses have been gallant performances against sides considered as top four contenders.

Such results were no longer acceptable at Richmond according to Grigg: "Near enough is not good enough. We expect to win every game that we play."

Mistakes at crucial times late in the game denied Richmond the opportunity to capitalise on opportunities to counter-attack. Poor execution meant a potential fast break to the Tigers was turned into a stoppage.

In the final quarter Geelong had 15 inside 50s to Richmond's nine when it could have easily been an even split.

Richmond had attacked the defending premiers with confidence throughout the game. They had set themselves pre-game to win the contested ball and clearances and achieved their objective.

Grigg had been a key contributor, his spread from the contest vital as Richmond tried to handball the ball through the midfield.

However their ball use going inside 50 and in front of goal was costly.

"We just probably needed to get the ball in a bit cleaner and a bit deeper into our forwards to give them a chance to score," Grigg said.

He said the windy conditions did present some difficulty with the swirly breeze having an impact on the quality of their disposal, but again it was no excuse for the result.

Grigg finished the game with 28 possessions, including 14 handball receives and 22 uncontested possessions. He was both rebounding the ball and pumping it inside 50. However after playing 67 games for just 27 wins in his career so far, he is clearly sick of losing.

"We're pretty confident now and we are past the development stage," he said.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/133783/default.aspx

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #323 on: April 23, 2012, 03:39:11 PM »
Gerks get in here :lol

Dear god

Absolute superstar is young Grigg. If only we had 22 of him on the field.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Continuity propels Grigg (RFC)
« Reply #324 on: May 10, 2012, 03:11:50 AM »
Continuity propels Grigg
richmondfc.com.au
Wed 09 May, 2012

In-form Richmond midfielder Shaun Grigg attributes his strong start to the season to back-to-back uninterrupted pre-seasons, and a feeling of belonging at Tigerland.

Impressively, he is ranked the no. 1 in the AFL for uncontested possessions (an average of 20.5 per match), highlighting his knack for finding space.

“I think I’ve just got the confidence up.  I’ve had two really good pre-seasons, and my body has probably been in the best shape it ever has.  Pre seasons have allowed that,” he said.

“I think it’s just playing AFL footy continually, week in and week out, and just really enjoying my footy.”

Grigg said he was enjoying his role as a versatile midfielder in 2012.

Read the full article at: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/135343/default.aspx

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #325 on: May 10, 2012, 06:31:46 AM »
Has been very good this year. Well done to him. Needs to keep going. His disposal under pressure has been very good and he has shown a cool head.

dwaino

« Reply #326 on: May 10, 2012, 10:19:09 AM »
B&F form  :shh

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #327 on: May 10, 2012, 10:35:05 AM »
Started off well last year and tapered off.
This year has burst out of the gates like a rampaging bull, hands like steel traps, head as cool as a cucumber- whoa :shh
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #328 on: May 10, 2012, 10:42:15 AM »
Best outside mid I've seen at tigerland for a long time. Reads the play well and puts himself in good position. He's done a great job.  :thumbsup
The club that keeps giving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
No regrets as Tiger Grigg emerges from out of the Blue (Age)
« Reply #329 on: May 26, 2012, 02:13:29 AM »
No regrets as Tiger emerges from out of the Blue
Matt Murnane
The Age
May 26, 2012

THOSE Richmond supporters who thought Shaun Grigg, at best, would be a midfield battler brought in to ride the bumps meant for Trent Cotchin and Dustin Martin will be surprised by this statistic: Grigg has had more uncontested possessions this season than any other player in the AFL.

Those Carlton supporters who were happy for him to leave two years ago, thus sparing them another season of watching Grigg ''butcher'' the ball by foot will be surprised by this statistic: Grigg is equal fifth in the AFL for effective kicks this year.

To the man, there's only one set of numbers that matter. Grigg played 43 of a possible 90 games in his four years at Carlton - some missed due to injury, some not. Since crossing to Richmond in 2011, the 24-year-old has played 29 out of a possible 30.

He is becoming the player he always wanted to be - prolific, hard-working, versatile. ''I think it's just the chance to play AFL every week, I really feel at home now,'' Grigg said of his emergence at Punt Road.

''Dimma [coach Damien Hardwick], all the coaches - the midfield coaches Brendon Lade and Danny Daly - have played a massive part in that, and the senior players have instilled a lot of confidence in me as well,'' he said. ''So now I just want to repay those blokes that have backed me and want me in the team. But it's also about maturing. I'm 24 now and it does take time for you to get used to the game and where you fit in.''

In reflection, Grigg - a priority selection (pick 19) in the 2006 draft - explained the rut he was in at Carlton, one he could only dig himself out of, he felt, by uprooting to Richmond in search of more playing opportunities.

''It's a tough game. There are so many highs and lows in AFL that the general public don't see, battling with injury or form or other reasons,'' he said. ''There is a lot that goes on, but at the moment I'm really enjoying my footy and I've got a really good life outside of footy.

''I've always believed I could play regular AFL footy, and once I got the chance, I just wanted to show it.''

But Grigg makes sure to point out that his time at Carlton wasn't always so hard. In fact, it was former Blues assistant coach Robert Harvey who planted the seeds of a game that has blossomed at Tigerland, after Grigg requested and was granted a trade in which ex-Tiger Andrew Collins swapped to Carlton.

The smooth-moving midfielder completed every session this pre-season and, with that as a launching pad, has elevated his game, averaging 27.8 disposals in eight games this year - second at Richmond and up significantly from 21.5 in his last year at Carlton.

The irony of the Grigg-Collins deal is that Grigg, on form, would be close to a walk-up start at Carlton, particularly as Brett Ratten shuffles his team to cover the loss of star midfielder Marc Murphy. But while Blues supporters might ponder the what ifs, Grigg has never once considered what life would be like if he had listened to the pleas of good friend Chris Judd and stayed at Visy Park. ''I have no regrets, and I've never looked back,'' he said.

Grigg is young and part of the youngest team in the AFL, which is still a chance to play finals this year and moving on an upward curve. More importantly, it appears that whatever success the Tigers have this year and in the future, Grigg could play an integral part - if he stays at his current level.

Getting to that level has required hard work. First, to fix what he admits was the major deficiency in his game - his kicking - and second, to find a way to prosper. That has come, as the coaches say, ''on the spread''.

Grigg did not need to be reminded, when he sat down with The Saturday Age this week, that he was No. 1 in the AFL for uncontested possessions, averaging 21 a game.

His teammates let him know every week. ''A few of the boys joke around a bit, saying the other teams don't rate me. They don't want to come near me,'' he said.

The Ballarat boy goes along with the ribbing, even playing up to it by calling himself ''the cheat''.

But the stats are no joke. For the moment at least, no one in the league spreads with more efficiency than Grigg. ''It's one area of the game that I've worked on - spreading from a stoppage and free kicks,'' he said.

''I really pumped out those 10-metre, quick-burst efforts during pre-season. If other boys were doing long runs, I would just focus on the shorter, harder efforts. Our midfield is quality, with [Brett] Deledio, Cotchin, Martin, [Shane] Tuck, [Nathan] Foley … so I'm more than happy to keep flying under the radar.''

Getting so much ball in space has had a direct result on his kicking efficiency - another trick he learnt from dual Brownlow medallist Harvey at Carlton.

Again, the numbers represent reward for effort, with Grigg now going at 77.5 per cent by foot, compared to 64.6 per cent in 2010, the lowest point it sank to at Carlton.

''I really tapped into [Harvey] and his knowledge. He said if you do your hard work early, then you might give yourself that extra metre or two to get a clean kick away,'' he said. ''I've worked on my kicking ever since I was drafted, so I guess I'm seeing the rewards for it now.''

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/no-regrets-as-tiger-emerges-from-out-of-the-blue-20120525-1zaa8.html#ixzz1vtlyyjBk