Author Topic: Jake Batchelor [merged]  (Read 164732 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Pick 30. Jake Batchelor
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2010, 09:40:35 PM »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Batchelor party for Jake
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2010, 07:04:16 AM »
Batchelor party for Jake

Matt Windley From: Herald Sun December 13, 2010 12:00AM

FOR Richmond new boy Jake Batchelor, hearing his name called at last month's AFL draft signalled a change of career.

Batchelor was not old enough to be drafted after finishing school in 2009, so instead he juggled a full-time job at a local insurance broker with TAC Cup football this year.

But even though he was satisfied with the job, he was more than happy to tell his boss that he was quitting.

"I had to finish the job up on draft night," Batchelor said.

"The boss is great. He's a family friend and he hired me at the start of the year knowing that footy came first.

"He knew there was a possibility I could get drafted. I told him two or three months ago I had been getting some interest from some clubs and I might not be in one day in late November.

"I went to work on the Thursday of the draft and said my goodbyes just in case. I said to them 'I might see you tomorrow, I might not. Fingers crossed I don't'.

"They're all fine with it. They've been great."

The Dandenong Stingrays product has made a name for himself in the TAC Cup for his dash off half-back.

And despite facing stiff competition at Punt Rd, the 18-year-old said he wanted to continue in that role.

"I do want to keep that up," Batchelor said. "I've got a bit of competition with Chris Newman and Brett Deledio there - a lot of competition.

"But I've played there for the last three years and I think I've grown into that position pretty well.

"But I think I could find myself on a wing or half-forward or even give a chop out in the middle once that fitness base grows. We'll just have to see what happens."

As the youngest of four children, Batchelor is used to having to fight for his lot in life. But don't expect the pre-season grind to get him down.

"I'm down the bottom of the barrel now. I guess you sort of work your way to the top at your local club and now you've got to do that all again," he said.

"But that's one of the exciting things, knowing that you've got to earn your spot. Nothing is given to you.

"I'm looking forward to working hard and earning that respect out on the track."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/batchelor-party-for-jake/story-e6frf9jf-1225969756769

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2011, 12:54:06 PM »
Video of Batchelor interview (from RFC YouTube)

http://www.youtube.com/v/H3pvQlLEO44

* First game - didn't know what to expect but happy with the first game.

* Young team - just tried to get our structures right and thought we did that.

* Playing in front of 40k is a bit nerve-racking certainly different to 50-100 in the TAC Cup.

* Coaching staff said have fun; stick to what we've been doing over the preseason; stick to the basics and don't get too extravagant.

* Boys from Richmond very helpful and made the transition from junior footy easier than he thought.

* Trying to model his game on Lids and Newy. Harder you work the more results you'll get.

* To play in round 1 would be great in front of 70k against Carlton but just want to train hard and try to give himself the opportunity to play senior footy.

* Who to look out for this year? Foley looking the goods and could be one of the steals of the year; Derickx to do pretty well this year.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2011, 03:22:19 PM »
Jake's dad was just on SEN. He said Jake is loving it at Richmond and couldn't be happier. Richmond have been great and he couldn't have gone to a better club and I think he also said for various reasons they would've chosen Richmond before the draft. The opportunities are there for Jake as it's a young side and Jake will be seen by the coach as one of those to take the club forward.

Jake played onball in the U12s as the best kids always play onball before moving to half-back and where he's played for the rest of his junior footy.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2011, 12:08:36 PM »
One of the few highlights for me in the match v the pies was without doubt Jake's monster tackle on Dane Swan where Swan certainly came off second best. Anyone else remember this magic moment?
This kid is improving with every game.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2011, 12:11:09 PM »
One of the few highlights for me in the match v the pies was without doubt Jake's monster tackle on Dane Swan where Swan certainly came off second best. Anyone else remember this magic moment?

Would love to get a video of that and have it as my avatar lol
Go Tigers!

tony_montana

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2011, 12:34:53 PM »

poo- was that batchelor?? I went nuts but missed who it was as i was mouthing off to a few neighbours

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2011, 01:04:50 PM »

I thought that was Helbig???

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2011, 01:15:20 PM »
No it was Jake, Swan thought he was clear and Jake slammed him.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline tiger4life

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2011, 01:47:48 PM »
Definitely was Batchelor, was funny watching Swan after the tackle shaking his arm, looked to have copped a little stinger.  :clapping

Tough boy is our Batchelor.  :thumbsup

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2011, 02:01:40 PM »
Highlight reel for future reference already. :thumbsup

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2011, 02:55:41 PM »
Nice and tough and should furnish into an alpha male with any luck

Nice skills only critisism looks to lack a yard of pace.

Projects as our very own Josh Hunt as long as he can put on the kilos

Like what I see

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2011, 05:50:31 PM »

How could i forget it? I've still got the sticky patch in my jocks to remind me.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2011, 06:27:04 PM »
Video link please.  :cheers

10 FLAGS

« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2011, 06:28:43 PM »
Nice and tough and should furnish into an alpha male with any luck

Nice skills only critisism looks to lack a yard of pace.

Projects as our very own Josh Hunt as long as he can put on the kilos

Like what I see

TBH I havent really noticed him lacking pace for the position he plays.