Author Topic: Jake Batchelor [merged]  (Read 164642 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Pick 30. Jake Batchelor
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2010, 12:15:26 AM »
Some pre-draft articles on Batchelor.....

Nervous wait for hopeful Batchelor
By Simon McEvoy
Frankston Standard Leader
18 OCT 2010, Page 081

THE past 12 months has been something of a football magic carpet ride for Frankston South teenager Jake Batchelor.
And the ride could be about to deliver him to an AFL club as one of the latest draftees.

``It's become a very serious goal now and I wouldn't want anything else in the world,'' he said of his bid to play in the AFL.

In September, 2009, Batchelor played in two grand finals in the space of eight days. He was part of the Frankston Bombers' drought-breaking senior premiership and then played at Etihad Stadium in the TAC Cup grand final with the Dandenong Stingrays alongside Tom Scully, Ryan Bastinac and Dylan Roberton.

The good times flowed on this year. Season 2010 was a break-out year for the former Frankston Rovers junior.

He took his game to a new level, starring on a back flank in many of the Stingrays' 15 wins.

Deservedly, Batchelor last month won the Stingrays' best and fairest award, joining a crack list of past winners that includes Justin Leppitsch, Trent Croad and Aussie Jones.

``Going into the night I didn't have any expectations,'' he said.

``I knew I had a good year. I was very happy with the award.''

With several AFL clubs showing interest, Batchelor was chosen to attend the AFL Draft Combine in Canberra.

Over four days he threw himself into a series of tests and spoke with a string of AFL clubs.

``I spoke to a few clubs before the draft camp and I had about nine or so interviews up there,'' he said. ``I don't know what to take out of it, but I guess the more (interviews) you have the more you put yourself out there.''

Draft day on November 18 could be the most thrilling day of his life.

``If a club is willing to take me I'm willing to give it all I've got. I'd be happy to go anywhere to be honest,'' he said.

Batchelor says watching his former Stingrays teammates Scully, Bastinac and Roberton make successful entries into the AFL this year had spurred him on.

``Last year I didn't really understand what it took to make it to the big stage, and then I watched Ryan Bastinac, Tom Scully and Dylan Roberton from last year and realised how they train, prepare themselves and do all the right things after a game,'' he said. ``To become a professional you've got to act like one.

``Twelve months ago they were in my position so to see what they have done in 12 months is amazing and that just drives me that little bit extra to get the best out of myself and give it a red hot crack.''

Batchelor said the star trio had provided helpful advice.

``They've been good with me and given me a bit of help.''

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2010, 12:18:58 AM »
Jake Batchelor (Dandenong Stingrays, Vic)
Height: 187cm, Weight: 82kg, DOB: 13/02/92
Left-footed medium defender who is strong overhead and a neat disposer of the ball. Provides good run and can lock down on opponents.

http://www.wafootball.com.au/talent/152-talent/2221-nab-afl-draft-combine-medium-defenders

Summary from Inside Football

JAKE BATCHELOR
defender/midfield
Dandenong Stingrays, Vic
Born: 13/2/92
Ht: 187cm
Wt: 82kg
"Jake won our best and fairest playing pre­dominantly as a rebounding half back. A good size, he has great hands and is a super reader of the game. A terrific one-on-one player who set up a lot of our rebounds and was our No. 1 rebounding player and at marking the ball from opposition kicks. He's one of those classic, rebounding half backs that AFL clubs are really excited about. A really balanced player com­ing off a tremendously consistent year and he deserves a crack at AFL level. I think he'll get it." - Dandenong Stingrays coach Graeme Yeats

http://oneeyed-richmond.com/forum//index.php?topic=12125.0

Summary from Snoops' phantom draft on BF:

Selection # 102
Jake Batchelor – Dandenony Stingrays / 187cm / 82kg

Profile : Lovely player who reads the play well and is prepared to take the game on. Reminds me of Marty Mattner with his poise and composure and just has that penetrating kick Marty has as well. Originally had him higher but testing results may push him back. Very talented though and should go.
Why Suns: Will appreciate that tallish defender who can mark talls and smalls but is also attacking and will provide dash and good skills from HB.
Similar to: Martin Mattner
Draft Range: 50 - Rookie

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=771940

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2010, 12:49:19 AM »
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 09:50:37 AM by Infamy »

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2010, 07:10:19 AM »
Good luck to him

Ramps

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2010, 11:07:17 AM »
Atleast 10 players could have been picked before Batchelor and Itll be interesting to see how he goes compared to all these others

1) Parker
2) Farmer
3) Green
4) Hallahan
5) Mitchell
6) Crocker
7) Steinberg
8) Howe
9) Young
10) Horlin-Smith

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2010, 12:45:50 PM »
Is it just me or does his facial features resemble a certain Ben Cousins ?
He does a little now that you mention it!

He also looks like another Ben, Ben folds

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2010, 05:08:38 PM »
he looks like he is about to kick himself in the forehead and fall flat on his a rse in that photo, hope he plays better for us.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Batchelor roams the field (RFC)
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2010, 11:14:09 PM »
Batchelor roams the field
richmondfc.com.au
By Tony Greenberg
Fri 19 Nov, 2010

Jake Batchelor is the “quintessential half-back flanker” . . .

That’s how Richmond’s second pick in the 2010 National Draft has been described by former Geelong ruckman, Darren Flanigan, who is the regional manager of TAC Cup under-18s team, Dandenong Stingrays.

Batchelor, 18, 188cm and 79kg, won the Stingrays best and fairest award in 2010, and Flanigan was suitably impressed with his football development, which has culminated in him now finding his way on to the Tigers’ senior playing list.

“Jake has worked really hard on his game over the last couple of years,” Flanigan said.

“As a 16-year-old, he probably wasn’t in our best 25.  So, to get from where he was, to where he is now, is a super effort and reward for the amount of work he’s done.

“He’s a very attacking player, likes to back himself in, is really strong one-on-one, a very good contested mark, a strong left-foot kick, and he was probably in the quickest three or four players at our club.

“He does play like the quintessential half-back flanker . . . reads the play extremely well, wins his own footy, wins his one-on-ones, is very strong overhead, and can push up the ground.

“We moved him forward one day, and he took about eight marks in our inside-50.  We chucked him in the midfield a couple of times as well, and he kept finding the footy.  He’s got a happy knack of being where the ball is.”

Flanigan also praised Batchelor’s character . . .

“Jake’s a good kid . . . a really solid citizen.  He was in the work force this year, so he had to balance his work commitments with his footy and social life, and he did it really well,” Flanigan said.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/105459/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2010, 04:14:48 PM »
An opposition supporter's view of Batchelor (who has seen Jake play over the past few years):

Really impressed you guys pulled shot gun on Jake at pick 30, can't believe these nufties had him down at picks 100 - odd in their phantom drafts.

Have seen a bit of Jake over the past few years, debut in the senior team as a 15 year old and was somewhat of a late bloomer. Was in and out of their development squads right up until last pre season where he really cemented himself in the squad.

In terms of who he plays like, Sam Gilbert/sam Fisher is the perfect way to describe him. Is a very good reader of the play which allows him to get into positions to take marks from opposition kicks, he has a beautiful long left footed kick on him which is certainly a feature of his game and will use it to great effect.

Pace wise you mentioned earlier, he is reasonably quick and was in the top 10% at Dandenong this year (not sure on the exact number he was ranked).

Overall, he was probably thee biggest bolter of this years draft for sure, in 18 months he has come from seemingly no where to now being a second round draft pick.

One last thing, the kid will not shirk a contest, have played against some of those Frankston Bombers teams and they breed them tough down there, so he will be well set for senior football sooner rather than later.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19628013&postcount=56

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2010, 05:17:38 PM »
Atleast 10 players could have been picked before Batchelor and Itll be interesting to see how he goes compared to all these others

1) Parker
2) Farmer
3) Green
4) Hallahan
5) Mitchell
6) Crocker
7) Steinberg
8) Howe
9) Young
10) Horlin-Smith

and like you'd know ramps :lol
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Ramps

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2010, 07:52:57 PM »

1) Parker
2) Farmer
3) Green
4) Hallahan
5) Mitchell
6) Crocker
7) Steinberg
8) Howe
9) Young
10) Horlin-Smith

I knew enough to name Conca back in May when all you clowns were just naming top picks like Gaff  ;D  Its easy to name the best 2 or 3 ... how about naming a supposed 20 to 30 draft pick player back in May and seeing him getting his name called out in November at pick 6 - which is what I did!

Thanks for your time  :lol

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2010, 08:50:45 PM »

1) Parker
2) Farmer
3) Green
4) Hallahan
5) Mitchell
6) Crocker
7) Steinberg
8) Howe
9) Young
10) Horlin-Smith

I knew enough to name Conca back in May when all you clowns were just naming top picks like Gaff  ;D  Its easy to name the best 2 or 3 ... how about naming a supposed 20 to 30 draft pick player back in May and seeing him getting his name called out in November at pick 6 - which is what I did!

touche
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2010, 08:53:02 PM »

Ramp's I think you qualify for one of my favourite sayings............

"It's hard to humble when you're as great as I am"  

:rollin :rollin

:lol

:jump :jump

:congrats :ROTFL

:outtahere :outtahere

:yep

:eyebrow
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2010, 10:19:50 PM »

Ramp's I think you qualify for one of my favourite sayings............

"It's hard to humble when you're as great as I am"  

:rollin :rollin

:lol

:jump :jump

:congrats :ROTFL

:outtahere :outtahere

:yep

:eyebrow

Ramps: I forgot to add tongue is firmly planted in cheek  :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond recruit's numbers come up (Greater Dandenong Weekly)
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2010, 07:08:30 PM »
Richmond recruit's numbers come up
By Roy Ward
Greater Dandenong Weekly
22 Nov, 2010

AFTER 18 years waiting, three digits were all that stood between Jake Batchelor and his dream of playing AFL football.

But those three digits took an eternity to be read out.

Richmond recruiting manager Francis Jackson was a little tardy delivering the final three numbers in Batchelor's player registration number when he selected the defender with pick 30 in the AFL Draft on Thursday night.

The 18-year-old former Stingray was watching the telecast at home with family and friends in Frankston.

"We were all on the edge of our seats after he read the first few digits," Batchelor said.

"It took forever. When we realised it was me, I think we all put our hands in the air and screamed. It is an amazing feeling to get drafted, it hasn't sunk in yet."

Batchelor was due to attend his first function with the Tigers yesterday afternoon.

The hard-running back man said the experience of being drafted was unforgettable but he would now turn his attention to putting in the hard work necessary to build a successful AFL career.

While determined to remain grounded, he couldn't help the odd daydream about stabbing a pass onto the chest of Tigers star Jack Riewoldt next season.

"I'm trying not to do it but it is pretty hard," he said. "I need to get to the club first and meet everyone, then get stuck into preseason.

"There is so much to go before I can start thinking about doing things like that."

http://www.greaterdandenongweekly.com.au/news/local/sport/football-australian-rules/richmond-recruits-numbers-come-up/2003935.aspx