Author Topic: Round 1 Richmond vs Carlton ......... Ratten 2011 = Wallace 2009?  (Read 18390 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Payback time with Ratten under pressure?!

Blues must lift for Brett Ratten
Jon Ralph
Herald Sun
November 26, 2010

CARLTON chief executive Greg Swann says it might take "significant" improvement from the Blues list next year for coach Brett Ratten to keep his job.

The club's board has deciding against extending Ratten's contract past next year, with some members clearly impatient for immediate improvement.

Swann admits the spectre of Mick Malthouse hangs over Ratten, with Paul Roos another high-profile coach consistently linked to the Blues.

But he says he is hopeful Ratten extracts another year of progress from his young side, which would see the former captain's contract extended.

Given a good run with injuries, that might take a top-four finish despite consecutive top-eight finishes in the past two seasons.

Even a lightning start would not see the club's hard-line position budge.

"I have spoken to Ratts about that already. There are eight or nine coaches that come out next year, so it's going to be a bit of a feast, depending on how you start," Swann said.

"But I think our position is pretty clear - we will let the season run whether we are 0-10 or 10-0, and have a look at it at the end of the year."

Asked specifically on 3AW what Ratten had to do to avoid the chop, he set lofty goals.

"We have a whole lot of criteria there ... it's fair to say we have to keep improving and maybe to a significant degree."

Former Pies chief executive Swann knows supporters will connect the dots if the Blues do not start well.

"That speculation is there. I am pretty sure he's going to stay where he is and he signed a contract," he said.

The scene is already set for a rollocking Round 1 encounter with Richmond after Tigers president Gary March yesterday questioned Carlton's financial result.

The Blues this week posted a $2,264,444 operating profit, but their annual financial report shows government and AFL grants worth $2,389,131.

"Interestingly in their financial results they trumpeted a $2.2m profit when actually after stripping out government grants they made an operating loss of $125,000.

"So it will be even sweeter when we smash them Round 1," March said on a blog on Richmond's website.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/blues-must-lift-for-brett-ratten/story-e6frf9jf-1225961119936

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Round 1 Richmond vs Carlton ......... Ratten 2011 = Wallace 2009?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 03:09:01 PM »
It'll be nice if we get a win build up confidence right from round 1. Playing them in the pre-season cup will also help.
Im not expecting a win but Im hopeful we do beat them :)
 :gotigers

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 03:40:26 PM »
I'm sick of losing to the Blues in the first game of the year  :banghead I'm expecting another tough up but if we somehow turn the table on them this year I would be thrilled!  :cheers :santa :gotigers

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 06:58:32 PM »
I don't expect Ratten to coach the blues beyond 2011, decision was made some time ago about this I'm lead to believe, dead man walking like knights was, the difference being the blues will let him coach out his contract.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline tiger till i die

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 07:18:09 PM »
God i hope we smash them

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 07:29:38 PM »
I don't expect Ratten to coach the blues beyond 2011, decision was made some time ago about this I'm lead to believe, dead man walking like knights was, the difference being the blues will let him coach out his contract.

Not if he's 0-11
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 08:46:16 PM »
but they will if he's 11-0.  Gee its pretty tough if you take your club into finals 2 years in a row and look like a third and you get the arse.

A good part of it is recruiting anyway.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 10:39:54 PM »

Not if he's 0-11

Wont make any difference. What will make a difference is where they are at after round 22 and how they peform in finals if they make it. Blues bosses want to see "real" progress and I can't see it.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 01:35:23 PM »
They will be on the hunt for a big name coach such as Roos, Bomber and in particular Malthouse for their next coach. As much as I despise the Blues, just to see the faces of the Colliwobble fans face if that occured would be priceless...then of course I want them both to fail misably... :whistle Well I can dream can't I?!  :sleep :pray

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 07:19:33 PM »
A poor start to the year will have the (media) wolves at Ratten and Carlton's door which will just keep pumping up and up the pressure on the club as we all know. If we could cause an upset (I don't think we will sadly  :-\ ) then the Blues could end up 0-3 with their next games against GC in their first game (Suns will be pumped for it) and the Pies. It could even be 0-4 as Essendon is their bogey side. We can dream can't we ;D.

1 Richmond
2 Gold Coast @ Gabba
3 Collingwood
4 Essendon    
5 Adelaide @ Etihad
6 Sydney @ SCG    
7 St. Kilda @ Etihad
8 Bye                   
9 Geelong @ Etihad
10 Melbourne
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 08:18:23 PM »
UnFortunately with that draw they will be 4w 1l after 5 rounds

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 10:31:24 PM »
Despite what Mick saysin the media about his contract with Eddie, there are some rumblings about a reunion between swann and malthouse at Carlton.
Ratten will need a top 4 season to have any hope.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 10:27:29 PM »
We will win this game and by a big margin!!!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline tiger till i die

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 11:50:36 PM »

:pray

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 02:17:25 PM »
Now that's confidence  ;D
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd