Author Topic: Wikileaks/Assange [merged]  (Read 15497 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Wikileaks/Assange [merged]
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 03:30:46 PM »
Assange has been release from jail by the High Court in London

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/julian-assange-released-vows-wikileaks-to-fight-on/story-e6frg6so-1225972511111

Justice Duncan Ouseley rejected an appeal against Mr Assange's bail by Swedish authorities, who claimed if he was set free he might flee rather than face charges in Sweden that he allegedly committed four sex offences against two women in what began as consensual sexual encounters.

Justice Ouseley said one reason he believed Mr Assange was unlikely to abscond was that the allegations against him in Sweden did not seem to be "a cast iron case... so he has some prospects of success".

Evidence that one Swedish prosecutor felt there was no case against Mr Assange before another prosecutor disagreed and decided to pursue the matter suggested that the case "would be one that could be resisted by an innocent man," said Justice Ouseley.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2010, 03:52:58 PM »
The charge is that he refused to wear a condom!

un stuffing believable.

One of the women stalked him.

Scary poo.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

10 FLAGS

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2010, 06:14:45 PM »
Assange is 100% innocent.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2010, 09:50:25 PM »

FNM

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2011, 10:29:36 PM »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/feb/24/julian-assange-extradition-sweden-verdict

Julian Assange to be extradited to SwedenWikiLeaks founder handed verdict at Belmarsh magistrates court

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange is to be extradited to Sweden to face allegations of rape and sexual assault.

Assange has been fighting extradition since he was arrested and bailed in December. He has consistently denied the allegations, made by two women in August last year.

Howard Riddle, the chief magistrate, delivered his ruling at a hearing at Belmarsh magistrates court in London. It is unlikely to be the end of the matter, however, because an appeal is expected, which would delay the final decision until the summer at the latest.

At a two-day hearing earlier this month, his legal team argued that Assange would not receive a fair trial in Sweden. They said the European arrest warrant (EAW) issued by Sweden was invalid because the Australian had not been charged with any offence and that the alleged assaults would not be legitimate extraditable offences.

Assange fears that an extradition to Sweden would make it easier for Washington to extradite him to the US on possible charges relating to the release by WikiLeaks of leaked US embassy cables.

If this was to happen, Sweden would have to ask permission from the UK for the onward extradition. No such charges have been laid, though the website's activities are under investigation in the US.

The Swedish prosecutor, represented in court by the British Crown Prosecution Service, argued that despite the lack of charge, Assange was being sought for prosecution rather than merely for questioning, which meant the warrant was valid.

The most serious of the four allegations relates to an accusation that Assange, during a visit to Stockholm in August, had sex with a woman, Miss B, while she was sleeping and without a condom, and without her consent. Three counts of sexual assault are also alleged against another woman, Miss A. If found guilty of the rape charge he could face up to four years in prison.

Assange will now be detained in custody, because there is no system of bail in Sweden, until a possible trial or release.

The Australian ambassador to Sweden, Paul Stephens, wrote to the country's justice minister last week to insist that, if extradited, any possible case against Assange "would proceed in accordance with due process and the provisions prescribed under Swedish law, as well as applicable European and international laws, including relevant human rights norms".

EAWs were introduced in 2003 with the aim of making extradition swifter and easier between European member states. But campaigners have raised concerns about the application of the warrants, arguing that they are sometimes applied before a case is ready to prosecute, and that while they were originally intended to counter terrorism, their use has greatly increased. Seven hundred people were extradited from the UK under the system last year.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2011, 10:42:10 PM »
the only thing this bloke is guilty of is that he is a good honest man not like these peddo's that parade out streets, who end up getting away with everything.

This bloke is the story of the year so far for me.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

FNM

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2011, 11:27:29 PM »
Not over yet
No doubt it'll be appealed

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2011, 11:37:14 PM »
No date for a trial so he could be in custody for a very long time (months at least). Overseas law is often different but it's very suss to detain someone for that long without charge.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2011, 05:48:39 PM »
the only thing this bloke is guilty of is that he is a good honest man not like these peddo's that parade out streets, who end up getting away with everything.

Yep he is a good honest man  ::)

Here's a bloke who's now suddenly calling himself an aussie again who you have to seriously question whether he actually even bothered to consider the consequences or the harm he was possibly going to inflict on the innocent people of the world (you know the ones average folks) with all his "wikileaks". His sole motivation was clearly about harming the most powerful leaders without a single thought to if could endanger others.

Yep he's a great bloke  ::)  :wallywink
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline dizza

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2011, 03:42:49 PM »
Assange thinks he's a cult leader. Regardless of whether you agree with what Wikileaks is doing or not, it's hard not to notice that this bloke has let his "hero status" get the better of him, and his arrogance is just atrocious. Now that he's on trial, he's suddenly quite secretive about everything that's going on there. Very suspicious, maybe he's got something to hide? He should stop acting as though everyone hates poor Julian and grow up.

All of this isn't to say that transparency is a bad thing, just that Assange is not the person to be the face of working towards it!
Push up!

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2011, 04:23:27 PM »

Yep he is a good honest man  ::)

Here's a bloke who's now suddenly calling himself an aussie again who you have to seriously question whether he actually even bothered to consider the consequences or the harm he was possibly going to inflict on the innocent people of the world (you know the ones average folks) with all his "wikileaks". His sole motivation was clearly about harming the most powerful leaders without a single thought to if could endanger others.

Yep he's a great bloke  ::)  :wallywink

You need to check your facts even the Americans are quietly saying that nobody was at risk.

All propaganda BS by the yanks.

:lol

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2011, 06:08:24 PM »
You need to check your facts even the Americans are quietly saying that nobody was at risk.

I wasn't referring to Americans  ::)

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2011, 06:41:23 PM »

I didn't say you were...  ::)

But it was the Americans who were Wikileaks fiercest opponents.

And they now are backing away from some of the more emotional claims.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2011, 07:39:24 PM »

I didn't say you were...  ::)

But it was the Americans who were Wikileaks fiercest opponents.

And they now are backing away from some of the more emotional claims.

I reckon some of the stuff released has been dangerous - there are alot of nutters in the world

I think Assange is a moron, who wanted his "15 mins" of fame no matter what and gave no consideration to anyone or what the implications of his actions would be

As I said he aint no "great bloke"

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2012, 04:43:32 AM »
Ecuador grants asylum to Julian Assange

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/world/ecuador-to-announce-assange-asylum-britain-threat-to-raid-embassy/story-fnd134gw-1226451503293

It doesn't really change his situation. He can't leave the Ecuadorian embassy in London to go to Heathrow and fly to Ecuador as the Brits are waiting outside the embassy to arrest him.