Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 751444 times)

FNM

Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #105 on: February 24, 2011, 10:52:17 AM »
They have disaster insurance as a start.
They have an earthquake levy every NZer pays which seems to cover their earthquake damage
This will be on top of that

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #106 on: February 24, 2011, 03:28:12 PM »
Correct! But they have enough tremors and earthquakes to justify it. The don't call NZ the "Shaky Isles" for nothing. Plus you need to compare apples with apples. NZ have a 138 billion dollar economy (2009 GDP) compared to our 1.22 trillion dollar economy (GDP 2009), so they are affected far greater by natural disasters than we are from an economic standpoint. If you have a 12 billion dollar disaster (estimate from Christchurch Earthquake) in a country with a GDP of 119 billion its gonna hurt a whole lot more than if you have a 5 billion dollar disaster (QLD floods approx) in a country like ours with a GDP of 1.22 trillion.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #107 on: February 24, 2011, 06:41:24 PM »
Firstly to answer WP's question, I would recommend a set amount based on a persons income as they are doing with the proposed tax.

Answer one question.....Are we better off financially as a country since labor has been in power?? There is only one answer despite what some of you might say and that is NO!!

gee thats a pretty dumb statement. i think in all fairness the answer must surely be yes.
Since the GFC, individually and collectively as a nation we are as good as we have ever been.

We would be more richer if Kennett the wanker didn't privatize Electricity just so his surplus looked bigger at the end of his time.

Also we would have more surplus if whingers like you didn't collect the $900 when it was given to you. Give me a spell i bet you were loving labour back then as you walked the streets with the cash in your pocket.

I dont particulary like Gillard but to say we are worse off is the biggest load of crap i've ever heard

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #108 on: February 25, 2011, 12:21:06 AM »
Why should we be forced to choose MT? We haven't had to in the past. Don't forget its the actions of these brave men and women in the past who have provided for us the freedoms that we enjoy today. Lest we forget.
I'm not saying we have to choose tiga. I just get annoyed when we have people (not you tiga) in our lucky country whinging about our foreign aid programs and asylum seekers who make up just a couple of percent of our total immigration intake.

Not sure if everyone knows this but the reason why this tax is going to be implemented is because unlike every other state, Queensland decided not to take out infrastructure disaster insurance. Why? because life has been very good in the sunshine state for quite some time and during this time they have self insured. So whilst Anna Bligh has been genuinely saddened by what has happened, she really needs a big boot up the rear end for not taking the correct precautions in the best interest of her state and the country, and as such the Federal government as per agreement has to pay for any costs not covered by insurance. And since they have no insurance, The Australian people have to pick up the entire tab! Thanks Anna, you are a completely incompetent saint!  :banged  
I blame the insurance industry as they have subtly moved the goal posts with regards to flood cover in recent times. They'll argue they have always notified customers of any changes in their booklets they send out each time a policy is renewed but the average person assumes their cover hasn't changed unless explicitly told so and most people don't bother wading through 70 pages of legal insurance gooblygook to see if anything has been altered. We have someone in our family who is very thorough when it comes to insurance cover and you find insurance companies treat each type of flooding differently and really apart from the flash flooding due to a violent storm they won't cover the other types unless you stipulate to them specifically you want that cover (eg: flood due to a river with a burst bank or tsunami or earthquake) and even then those companies that do cover such events demand a flood plan of your local area. Even with flash flooding you need to read your policy carefully as some put a 48-72 hour limit on covering you are a storm. If some part of your house was affected by a flood but the damage doesn't reveal itself in the first 2-3 days then back luck. There are also things that refuse to cover like subsidence and rising sea tides/levels. All up that's why Suncorp and other insurance companies in Queensland "escaped" a major payout. The Valley that had that wave of water smash through it I believe will be covered by private insurance but elsewhere along the Brisbane river people are finding out they aren't covered because a overflowing river isn't consider a "flash flood". It's ridiculous!
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #109 on: February 25, 2011, 12:27:10 AM »
I think tiga would be offended ever being called a "labour lover"  ;D

Correct! But they have enough tremors and earthquakes to justify it. The don't call NZ the "Shaky Isles" for nothing. Plus you need to compare apples with apples. NZ have a 138 billion dollar economy (2009 GDP) compared to our 1.22 trillion dollar economy (GDP 2009), so they are affected far greater by natural disasters than we are from an economic standpoint. If you have a 12 billion dollar disaster (estimate from Christchurch Earthquake) in a country with a GDP of 119 billion its gonna hurt a whole lot more than if you have a 5 billion dollar disaster (QLD floods approx) in a country like ours with a GDP of 1.22 trillion.

Queensland though contributes 20% to our GDP and 80% of banana crops are destroyed while 60% of the coal mines were flooded and shut down and many livestock killed in the floods. The affect of the natural disasters up North especially due to the floods will mean we'll take a hit to our nation's growth over at least one quarter.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #110 on: February 25, 2011, 09:00:11 AM »
Why should we be forced to choose MT? We haven't had to in the past. Don't forget its the actions of these brave men and women in the past who have provided for us the freedoms that we enjoy today. Lest we forget.
I'm not saying we have to choose tiga. I just get annoyed when we have people (not you tiga) in our lucky country whinging about our foreign aid programs and asylum seekers who make up just a couple of percent of our total immigration intake.

Not sure if everyone knows this but the reason why this tax is going to be implemented is because unlike every other state, Queensland decided not to take out infrastructure disaster insurance. Why? because life has been very good in the sunshine state for quite some time and during this time they have self insured. So whilst Anna Bligh has been genuinely saddened by what has happened, she really needs a big boot up the rear end for not taking the correct precautions in the best interest of her state and the country, and as such the Federal government as per agreement has to pay for any costs not covered by insurance. And since they have no insurance, The Australian people have to pick up the entire tab! Thanks Anna, you are a completely incompetent saint!  :banged  
I blame the insurance industry as they have subtly moved the goal posts with regards to flood cover in recent times. They'll argue they have always notified customers of any changes in their booklets they send out each time a policy is renewed but the average person assumes their cover hasn't changed unless explicitly told so and most people don't bother wading through 70 pages of legal insurance gooblygook to see if anything has been altered. We have someone in our family who is very thorough when it comes to insurance cover and you find insurance companies treat each type of flooding differently and really apart from the flash flooding due to a violent storm they won't cover the other types unless you stipulate to them specifically you want that cover (eg: flood due to a river with a burst bank or tsunami or earthquake) and even then those companies that do cover such events demand a flood plan of your local area. Even with flash flooding you need to read your policy carefully as some put a 48-72 hour limit on covering you are a storm. If some part of your house was affected by a flood but the damage doesn't reveal itself in the first 2-3 days then back luck. There are also things that refuse to cover like subsidence and rising sea tides/levels. All up that's why Suncorp and other insurance companies in Queensland "escaped" a major payout. The Valley that had that wave of water smash through it I believe will be covered by private insurance but elsewhere along the Brisbane river people are finding out they aren't covered because a overflowing river isn't consider a "flash flood". It's ridiculous!

I think TIO is the only government owned insurance company left...and the only one that provides storm surge damage cover.  I think they need to hurry up and privatise so we too can enjoy the reduced benefits this will bring.

My understanding is that the territory government also does not have infrastructure insurance as they would be just insuring themselves with themselves.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #111 on: February 25, 2011, 10:54:29 AM »
I think tiga would be offended ever being called a "labour lover"  ;D

Queensland though contributes 20% to our GDP and 80% of banana crops are destroyed while 60% of the coal mines were flooded and shut down and many livestock killed in the floods. The affect of the natural disasters up North especially due to the floods will mean we'll take a hit to our nation's growth over at least one quarter.

Firstly I won't even debate Daniel161toomany or whatever his name is for as usual he has continued with his M.O of resorting to personal insults when he can't find something intelligent to say.  I think I will be "More richer" by not responding to his drivel. Daniel you could learn a lesson or two from MT when it comes to Human decency and sensible debate. Now let me just turn the white noise level down a bit and continue with some intelligent discussion.

Let me just clarify my statement earlier....What I meant to say was are we better off financially as far as the Nations finances (Budget) are concerned, not if our own personal standard of living has improved. I personally have continued to increase my standard of living throughout my working life no matter who is in power but that is because of my own efforts in improving my skills and making myself highly employable, not government policy. However my "cost" of living has also increased with my standard of living and will continue to do thanks to the continual introduction of post election taxes under this current government.

MT I understand that Queensland contributes 20% to our GDP but that figure would only be accurate if 100% of Queensland industry were severely affected by the floods. Or just to clarify, are you saying that the damage caused by the floods has hit our GDP by 20% or one quarter of 20%? I listened to an interview recently from the head of a QLD farming Co-op (Can't remember his name) and he said that the crop damage they encountered amongst his members overall was about 45% of total output across the board and it would take around 18 months to get back to 100%. One fruit type in Banana's being severely affected doesn't warrant a new tax.

I agree MT that Insurance companies (actually I think is the reinsurance companies who are more devious) have moved the goal posts as you say but that was not the reason for Queensland not taking any insurance out at all on their infrastructure.

Oh and while we are on new taxes, lets all welcome our brand new shiny carbon tax which has been introduced deceitfully by that liar Jillard or as she is now known as Juliar. Let me quote her during the election campaign..."There will be no Carbon tax under the Government I lead" and then Wayne Swan said..."We have made our position very clear, we have ruled it out," as told to told ABC Television. This is not Anti-Labor sentiment or  being quoted out of context, this is undeniable fact and on the public record.
Here's an easy question, do you want a proven liar to run our Country? Hey why not! And now we can look forward to petrol prices going up immediately by 6 cents a litre as soon as this carbon tax is implement.

FNM

« Reply #112 on: February 25, 2011, 11:33:19 AM »

Firstly I won't even debate Daniel161toomany or whatever his name is for as usual he has continued with his M.O of resorting to personal insults when he can't find something intelligent to say.  I think I will be "More richer" by not responding to his drivel. Daniel you could learn a lesson or two from MT when it comes to Human decency and sensible debate. Now let me just turn the white noise level down a bit and continue with some intelligent discussion.

Let me just clarify my statement earlier....What I meant to say was are we better off financially as far as the Nations finances (Budget) are concerned, not if our own personal standard of living has improved. I personally have continued to increase my standard of living throughout my working life no matter who is in power but that is because of my own efforts in improving my skills and making myself highly employable, not government policy. However my "cost" of living has also increased with my standard of living and will continue to do thanks to the continual introduction of post election taxes under this current government.

MT I understand that Queensland contributes 20% to our GDP but that figure would only be accurate if 100% of Queensland industry were severely affected by the floods. Or just to clarify, are you saying that the damage caused by the floods has hit our GDP by 20% or one quarter of 20%? I listened to an interview recently from the head of a QLD farming Co-op (Can't remember his name) and he said that the crop damage they encountered amongst his members overall was about 45% of total output across the board and it would take around 18 months to get back to 100%. One fruit type in Banana's being severely affected doesn't warrant a new tax.

I agree MT that Insurance companies (actually I think is the reinsurance companies who are more devious) have moved the goal posts as you say but that was not the reason for Queensland not taking any insurance out at all on their infrastructure.

Oh and while we are on new taxes, lets all welcome our brand new shiny carbon tax which has been introduced deceitfully by that liar Jillard or as she is now known as Juliar. Let me quote her during the election campaign..."There will be no Carbon tax under the Government I lead" and then Wayne Swan said..."We have made our position very clear, we have ruled it out," as told to told ABC Television. This is not Anti-Labor sentiment or  being quoted out of context, this is undeniable fact and on the public record.
Here's an easy question, do you want a proven liar to run our Country? Hey why not! And now we can look forward to petrol prices going up immediately by 6 cents a litre as soon as this carbon tax is implement.

I wish Tony Abbott would read this, and then he could convey and explain this to the nation.  That would be akin to John Hewson explaining "will a GST apply to a birthday cake".
We get your drift Tiga, but excuse me if my head is spinning haha
Go Tiges
 :gotigers

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #113 on: February 25, 2011, 06:21:51 PM »
Compared to other OECD nations we're in good financial shape despite the GFC. I'd rather be us than be the US, UK and Japan. The cost of living would be cheaper if we hadn't privatized our essential utilites and gave "public" companies a free hand to increase and increase "service" charges to maintain their profits no matter how much less electricity, gas and water you use  ::).

By quarter I meant a timeframe as in a quarter of the financial year (the March quarter). It's expected we may have a quarter of negative growth as a result of the economic impact of the Queensland floods. 45% is almost a half and combined with 60% of the coal mines that's quite a hit to the economy. And that's leaving out all the basic infrastructure damage that's needs fixing. 

Queenslanders always did things differently to use southerners (Julz excluded) :yep

All pollies lie and break promises. That's why no one trusts them. Abbott said prior to the last election "no new taxes" and then wanted to introduced a $3.3b levy/tax for his parental leave scheme along with his only believe what I write down, not what I say. Howard had his "never ever GST" and Keating had his "L.A.W." tax cuts, etc...

A carbon price was always on the cards. Big Business has been preparing for one. Preferably it ends up finally as a ETS so it's based on market forces. Even Abbott at one stage advocated if a Carbon price was introduced that you could increase the price of Carbon at the same you compensate the average consumer. There's no real difference between his view then and this plan.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #114 on: February 25, 2011, 09:48:50 PM »

Firstly I won't even debate Daniel161toomany or whatever his name is for as usual he has continued with his M.O of resorting to personal insults when he can't find something intelligent to say.  I think I will be "More richer" by not responding to his drivel. Daniel you could learn a lesson or two from MT when it comes to Human decency and sensible debate. Now let me just turn the white noise level down a bit and continue with some intelligent discussion

Dear ooh me if you find that offensive perhaps you dont get out all that often
Let me clarify something for you just as you felt the need to correct yourself

Personally and collectively as a nation we have never been in a better shape under this government
Pack of whingers u liberal wannabees who I bet were the same ones crying poor when the GST was introduced

We have been lied by all of them for a long time

Kennet with his increasing of rates
Howard GST
Gillard With the C tax

Nothing new get over it
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #115 on: February 25, 2011, 11:05:41 PM »
First of all MT what proof do you have that there are organised factions in the liberal party.

Secondly Howard didn't lie about the GST. He simply changed his mind. Everyone does. Difference here is that unlike Howard, Gillard didnt let the voting public know we were voting for a carbon tax at the last election. Howard was very clear, vote coalition and you get a GST. Democratic process because we knew what we were voting for. 
Gillard "there will be no carbon tax under the government I lead".
Swan also lied before the election ""We have made our position very clear, we have ruled it out," the treasurer told ABC Television.

What is Worse was that nobody was told by anyone at labor that a deal was already in place with the greens.
What's sickening is that we have a small group of misfits (greens and independents) that are running our great country because Our current PM is power hungry.
She is a charlatan and she WILL be bumped by the very factional power brokers that put her in charge in the first place.
Bill Shorten is coming. 
The club that keeps giving.

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #116 on: February 26, 2011, 12:04:56 AM »
Surely Gillard cant go to another election. Noone will be able to trust what she says ever again.
Bill Shorten would be licking his lips at stabing her in the back with his union friends to become PM

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #117 on: February 26, 2011, 12:19:19 AM »
 Here is a nice song about our beloved prevaricator PM that I found: enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLLUcP7IwiE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The club that keeps giving.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #118 on: February 26, 2011, 12:54:53 PM »
If the PM is a liar

Then the Opposition leader is a Hypocrite

There's a some priceless news footage doing the rounds of Tony Abbott in 2009 actually saying that if you want to put a price on carbon emissions then he would introduce a "simple carbon tax", he adds that would include it being "placed on petrol" so "everyone" pays it equally  ;D

OMG ..... Tony in 2009 sounded like Julia in 2011

:gobdrop :gobdrop

Now Tony wants an election over the very tax he said in 2009 was a the "easiest" way to go with regard to a price being placed on Carbon emissions but in 2011 says it's the worse thing since ...er... the flood levy

Gawd I love politics  :rollin

Secondly Howard didn't lie about the GST. He simply changed his mind. Everyone does. Difference here is that unlike Howard, Gillard didnt let the voting public know we were voting for a carbon tax at the last election. Howard was very clear, vote coalition and you get a GST. Democratic process because we knew what we were voting for.

And Mr Tigra we can out spin on anything to suit an argument  ;D

Bottom line is Howard did lie because he said when he became leader that the GST was dead and buried and he would never introduce it

But he did - so that was a lie

However, the biggest difference was yes Howard went to an election on the back of it but he went to the polls knowing there was no way in helll they could lose. If the polls at the time had been closer who knows what approach they would have taken. What was interestng at the time though was the fact that they didn't announce their plan until the polls were so far in their favour

Pollies have been lying since before all of us were born - it's what they do to win

As I said gotta love politics in this country  ;D

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #119 on: February 26, 2011, 01:18:43 PM »
C'mon WP do you live under a rock?

Only Labor pollies lie, not the libs. Don't you know that?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI